The most commonly made assumptions about LOTR and The Silmarillion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shadowy_blue
This is not like the "Stupid things you hear in the theater" (which are very hopeless stupidity) thread or something but post here the things that are commonly assumed by some people.

-Eowyn is Theoden's daughter

-Arwen and Eowyn are both princesses (I'd say that technically they might be, but they're never CALLED that. Arwen is Queen Galadriel's granddaughter, and Eowyn is King Theoden's niece, but still...)

-The Two Towers and The Return of the King are sequels to The Fellowship of the Ring

-Elves can't be killed because they're immortal

-A lot of people think that Boromir and/or Faramir were "mean". Faramir is portrayed completely different in the books, and Boromir wasn't a bad person, he was just overtaken by the power of the Ring.

-"Middle Earth" is in the middle of the Earth. I know it represents Europe but c'mon. Middle-earth with Aragorn, Frodo, Sauron and everyone aren't in the center of the Earth.

-Frodo was Bilbo's son

-The Nazgul were killed in FOTR

-Boromir is Aragorn and Aragorn is Boromir

-Eowyn and Faramir's marriage is political and desperate.

-That Celeborn and Galadriel's marriage is loveless.

-Elrond was raised by Gil-galad. Pure fanon, Elrond was raised by Maglor.

- going to the Undying Lands makes a mortal immortal -- not true.

- Elves aren't affected by the cold. *Any* level of cold. (*pats Turgon* Well, I'm afraid Elenwe is rather a footnote in The Silmarillion . . . hey, put that sword down, Turgon, take a deep breath. Silm. Elves live in my head, you see. And they have tempers.)

- Thranduil is evil.

- All Elves ride bareback. In FotR, Glorfindel had a saddle and bridle. I suppose it could be a Noldor/Sindar difference.

What are yours guys?

Kitoky
Didn't we already have a thread for this confused

shadowy_blue
Sorry then

Exa
Yey and in the first version he even rides with bit... which Tolkien edited later as he said earlier that this is not true.

in the lay of leithian, he also describes
"And horses pround with braided mane
With shining bit and silver rein..."

Camellia
That Peregrin Took is stupid ---which he is NOT, there is a difference between being young and innocent and being stupid...

That the battle at the Pelannor Fields was the last battle fought

That Frodo and Sam were gay - NO!

...smile Just a few of my own ones that really annoy me!

Camellia
Oh, and anyother - the confusion between Pelannor and Pelennor...which one is it? I've seen so many versions that I'm just getting so confused!!!!

Exa
It's Pelennor smile the Encircling Land

- That practically all elves are blond mad mad and that they all have totally pointed ears

Camellia
Good, I THOUGHT it was with an 'E' but then I read it spelt differently in so many places - oh! The confusion....I suppose I COULD have looked it up in the book...but that is all the way upstairs!!

YES!! They are NOT all blonde!!!

sauron
-A lot of people think that Boromir and/or Faramir were "mean". Faramir is portrayed completely different in the books, and Boromir wasn't a bad person, he was just overtaken by the power of the Ring.

^^love you so much more for that big grinbig grin^^

-"Middle Earth" is in the middle of the Earth. I know it represents Europe but c'mon. Middle-earth with Aragorn, Frodo, Sauron and everyone aren't in the center of the Earth.

^^ well actually it is in the middle between valinor (the west) and the weird easter and southen lands known oinly as the dark lands........unless you meant in the middle of the earth...like the core lol^^

That Celeborn and Galadriel's marriage is loveless.

^^ not true i agree....but certainly seems so^^

that melkor died and sauron died in the dagor dagorath THEY DIDNT THEY ARE A VALA AND MAIA THEY DONT FULLY DIE.........THEY LOSE THERE BODIES AND THEN SEEING AS THE WORLD IS GONE THEY GO TO ILUVATAR

Iirima
That hobbits are fat...some are, but they're STOUT, that's not the same as fat.

Oh, yeah...HI SAURON!!!!

sauron
HIYA big grinbig grin

(your on my sig now big grinbig grin)

Iirima
big grin and XD, even though that doesn't turn into a smilie....wow...off topic!

sauron
yeah lol big grinbig grin

erm.....about the bormir aragorn. aragorn boromir, hey whats aragorn doing here didnt he die in the last on thing

the first time i saw fotr (i hadnt read the books...just the hobbit embarrasment) and boromir is with the sword....and he cuts himself (and does his trademaek mention of sharpe...."still sharpe"wink and it cuts to aragorn staring...i thought that was boromir too...and i was like wtf

Iirima
At first I thought that they were brothers, I was confuuuuuuused. And then when Boromir dies and said, "I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my king." And then I thought Aragorn's other name was Faramir, because I knew Faramir was Boromir's brother. So you see how twisted my mind can get. stick out tongue

sauron
lol big grinbig grin

well when i heard him say aragorn was king of gondor...then boromir saying his father ruled gondor i was like whoah...aragrns his dad....then he said he was his 'brother' and i was like huh.....ok gondorian mating is weird.....then i read the book lol and now i understand

Iirima
laughing Once you read the book or get an expert to explain it, it's all happy and good. There was, in the past couple of minutes, a user named Nemo here. Hopefully we don't scare him/her away...

Exa

sauron
'moi' scare someone away.....could it be true stick out tongue stick out tongue stick out tongue

sauron
sang the second music....and if the tried anything funny this time he would not only use three tuunes to overpower him he would use em all and blow the poor guy up stick out tongue

Iirima
Not u, me, I scared someone away last night. stick out tongue

sauron
lol well dark lords dont get scared so you didnt frighten me stick out tongue big grin

Iirima
big grin

sauron
(well they DO get scared sometimes...but not usually....)

Iirima
Aragorn and his fire. stick out tongue

sauron
nasssty argorn...he attacks poor innocent nazguls for no reason i mean trhey were gonna kill his friends and take the ring...SOOOOO

Iirima
Aragorn is eeeeevil!!!!!!

Exa
Yeah!! exactly

Aragorn isnt good enough to be called evil

But dont you think this is quite a sad end for such an interesting thread?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.