Philosophy Forum

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
just an idea...if its alright. we can discuss about General Philosophy, Metaphysics, Epistemology, Ethics, Religion, Philosophy of Science and Math, Philosophy of Politics and Law, Philosophy of the Arts, Anthropology, Sociology and Psychology etc etc...

if it doesn't work out you can close as soon as possible. BUT i have many topics we can discuss...im just hoping there are enough intellectual people here to debate smile and yes there are. smile

COMMENT!? lol

h0ck3yh0rr0r

tptmanno1
Yes!
I could use some brain stimuli every once and a while!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
smile good

i love philosphy

LanceWindu
There won't be any politics or religion, I can tell you that.

wicker_man
^^ Agreed, it will be very hard to produce a philosophy forum without breaking into political or religious debate.

Storm
I' d love a philosophy forum so let' s just try it yes

ash007
yeah iam game i love philosophy considering iam doing a minor in it at uni

hopefully raz will see the poll and say yes

Dexx
it'd be too close to a debate forum....and we know how that one ended wink

yerssot
yeah, I have to agree with dexx here
those things can end up in a quite heated discussion, cause you philo-guys know the trinity also searches a question to god and that's a big nono to talk about

Raz
Hmm....sounds interesting. But as long as religion & politics won't be a problem then it could happen.

Fire
it sounds like fun, but we must make sure it doesnt become politics

Storm
We talked about god before and it became a decent conversation which I really enjoyed.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f11/t15936.html

Raz
That IS strange. We talked about religion without the thread being closed blink

Storm
oops embarrasment

yerssot
quick! to said thread, destruction boy!
*jumps into the bashmobile*

but no, seriously, it's not cause one ended well that it should change the view, I mean, one went well, five ended in tears messed

Raz
What I meant was, that we had a discussion without people tearing each other apart. It's quite unusual for this place.

Storm
And that' s something I really don' t understand.

yerssot
the one that ended well or the five that ended bad?

Storm
The five that ended bad. Imo, a lot of us are old enough to debate in a proper decent way.

wicker_man
Yes, but still age is regardless when it comes to debate, if someone feels strongly enough in something then tempers can flair quite easily.

yerssot
I'm not big grin
but it's that some believe in god and support a religion and some don't and when you go into analysing and one side loses they get annoyed and if it goes on they get mad, I mean, it's a very delicate subject and it should be treated with utmost care
just like politics (ie, the anti-american attitude of some to name one of the big problems these days)

Storm
I understand and it happens to me too. But more then ever then, I think twice before I post something and I consider my words carefully.

yerssot
but you're not every member on kmc wink... that or we get to sandperson n 10 theory

Storm
confused sandperson n 10 theory? blink

yerssot
yeah, wasn't around when he made it, but from what I heard it was, how can you know the other people here are real and it's not some big scheme?
perhaps they are all computersoftware pieces that automaticly reply or something like that

Storm
laughing
Well, at least you, Fire and me are real big grin

yerssot
or so you think... how can you be sure that I'm the same one you know in RL? could well be that someone else signed up with my name and just tells me the stuff I need to know about you

Storm
True, but this is the part where my trust comes in. I trust in it that everyone is who he or she pretends to be.

yerssot
that's risky, isn't it? trusting people you don't know and probably never in your entire life will see?

Storm
I only trust in it that they are who they pretend to be. Meaning that this is you using your account and not (I randomly picked a name) Fire using your account.

yerssot
*panicks*
she's on to me! messed

hehe, what about people from ... let's say... australia, you will never know for certain, right?

Storm
laughing out loud

Idd, I' ll never know. But I trust in it that furious socks (She' s from Australia or at least that' s what she told us. And I have no reason to doubt it so...) is furious socks.

yerssot
hope she washes those socks messed

Ushgarak
Hey, don't turn this INTO Philosophy already... gee...

I agree with Yerss. One success of a religious talk should not opbscure the many many failures and high risk involved. I am afraid it is highly naive to think such debates can be regularly conducted in safety.

Storm
Maybe it is naive of me to think it' s possible.
*sigh*
Well, it' s up to Raz to decide.

yerssot
oooh! hugging time!
*hugs* smile

Storm
I like hugs anytime so I' m not going to ask you why it' s hugging time. I' ll just keep it at you being friendly stick out tongue
*hugs*

yerssot
you're all alone and need a hug ... who you gonna call?
Hug-Yerss!

Storm
laughing
I' m not all alone and even if I was, I' d know who to call stick out tongue

yerssot
Kurt Nilsen?

h0ck3yh0rr0r
ok since politics and religion is very debatable and causes arguements then we wont discuss on those 2 topics.

Raz
If one were created then it would need to be heavily moderated. Maybe Storm would be interested? whistle

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i can handle it if u want.

tptmanno1
I could be persueded....

Storm
Yes I would but it was hockey' s idea messed

SilverFighter
You got my vote h0ckeyh0rr0r! The only setback are politics and Religion in some discussions. A moderator would be a good idea if it is approved.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
smile thx for vote

yerssot
silverfighter, I think a mod is not a good idea, I think a mod is OBLIGATED there yes

Fire
I could mod the damn place :P

yerssot
there there *thwacks fire* stick out tongue

Dexx
wow...the forum isn't even aprooved, and you're fighting to be mods smile

yerssot
you know how it goes, boys and toys roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dexx
toys?? where!

Aurora
Oh I would def. love a philosophy fourm!! I always love to state my opinion. big grin

Phoenix
I love the idea of a Philosophy Forum. I enjoy debates, and maybe if we just come up with a few rules...? eg. we don't attack people or their life choices, we just discuss/debate issues.

Ushgarak
Life choices? Hmmm, what exactly do we mean by philosophy then? I don't see what such a debate would have to do with anyone's life choices.

Fire
same here
and it was a joke yerss note the smiley

yerssot
I know, that's why I smacked you big grin

of course there has to be rules, phoe smile

Phoenix
YERSS! Haven't seen you for aaaaaaaaaaaaaages!!

*HUGS*

Ahem... so... Topic?

yerssot
well, YOU're the one that sneaks offline missy stick out tongue

yeah, erm... nice topic wink

Phoenix
lalala...

Anyways, life choices can be counted as philosophy... At the beginning of the thread it was talking about religion, and THAT's a life choice big grin

Ushgarak
Yes, but rather specifically we would not be talking about religion.

I think people's lifestyles should be left entirely out a forum like this.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
we wont discuss about religion or politics or peoples lifestyles.

Fire
that would probably be best

SilverFighter
Tex and BackFire are mods in all forums, so maybe if they visited often a regular moderator may not be need it.

yerssot
mind the belt

Fire
Silver not only BF and Tex are mods in all forums

and still a forum mod always is better

SilverFighter
I agree is always better to have a moderator in a forum, but until a moderator is selected maybe Tex and BackFire can monitor it.

yerssot
and the other JC's not or what?

SilverFighter
The reason I mention them is because they can closed threads in other forums. A moderator like bkk or TheOmega can only closed threads in their respective forums. am I right or missing a reason?

yerssot
no, just that the other JC's (now named differently though) can do that too

SilverFighter
I didn't know until now yerssot. Thanks for informing me smile

yerssot
JC's are now :
KMC Forums Global Moderators

Ushgarak
Just to be clear, JCs are still JCs, they are ALSO Global Moderators. One does not necessarily mean the other.

yerssot
sorry 'boot that, I'm not good at this

SAtown_punk
I don't see anything wrong with talking about, or debating, religion or politics. Disagreement is what makes the world go 'round. But since I'm not controlling this, I guess it doesn't matter, huh? But a philosophy thread is a wonderful idea. I'm up for it. I love debating and expressing my opinions and beliefs. So what's the first topic?

h0ck3yh0rr0r
yes disagreement just makes us understand someone elses perspective/opinion...but we usually get out of hand and start argueing lol

The Force
a philosphy forum would be cool, as long as enemies weren't made

h0ck3yh0rr0r
enemies wont be made. but there will always be disagreements.

yerssot
if you read some posts here, you would have read that we had a politics-forum here and it ended in a big bloody mess and THAT's why it's now prohibited, to PROTECT members

SilverFighter
I read that in one of the rules. No politics because it created bad blood between members. That's sad, I hope no one got banned just for expresing her/his opinion.

yerssot
they don't, but if they in the process hurt members, they do get banned for obvious reasons

h0ck3yh0rr0r
hmmm i dont think too many people have been banned for expressing their opinions...well maybe that Rabbit guy/girl

?

SAtown_punk
Anyway....do you think we could start the discussions now, hock3y? just anxious, that's all.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
we need Raz's approval i guess first...

badkittykitty
I say anything is worth a try and see how it goes from there smile

Asami
Just wondering if h0k3yh0rr0r studies Philosophy?
I do... There's philosophyforums.com if you don't get your way!

Raz
To be honest, I think the GDF itself would be the perfect grounds for the philospical discussion. I don't see the need to seperate it.

SilverFighter
Asami> I been there and it is a very good forum to visit. I recomended it, but just beware of the scholars.......oye! They are have tough arguments.

yerssot
*gasps in horror*
are you ... sure? eek!

Raz
Yeah, otherwise what use is the GDF for?

I think it's perfectly fine for the GDF to hold philosopical and current affairs thread.

Fire
I agree

§pearhead
I think people might want a philosophy forum so that they can discuss politics or other somewhat controversial issues. If I'm wrong, bash away.

Storm
Yeah, but the sports got its own section though stick out tongue

yerssot
face it, storm, raz doesn't want to give you the pleasure of a philo-forum stick out tongue

SilverFighter
We can call it something else. Maybe "social science" or "The thinkers corner" instead of philosophy forum. wink

Fire
lol

Storm
Imo, it doesn' t matter how you' d call it messed

Fire
ofc. not but the child needs to have a name and it needs to exist before we can name it

yerssot
and raz said it wasn't happening, no?

Storm
And it doesn' t exist and it looks like it' s not going to.

SilverFighter
I'm still keeping the hope that it will.

Storm
Me too, but sssssshhhhhhh bout that.

yerssot
oooh! can I totally crush your hope? pwetty pleeeaaase? stick out tongue

Storm
NO you... mad

yerssot
than I'll keep reminding you of it big grin

Storm
schmoll

yerssot
being a bit sad, storm?

SilverFighter
thumbsup

SAtown_punk
What is the big deal about having a philosophy forum? forums are meant to express your opinions. Opinion-bashing should not be allowed. If it happens, then block the person who did it. Everybody is entitled to thier own opinion, and debating opinions is fun. I don't see the problem with having a philosophy forum. What's the point of even having forums if we're going to be denied our rights to freedom of expression and speech?

§pearhead
I think people mostly want a philosophy forum to discuss religion, politics, and other things that are at this point unallowed. If we are able to discuss these things in the philosophy forum, I'm all for it. If not, then the GDF will suffice for all our philosophical needs.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Asami > nah i dont study Philosophy but I study Philosophy at my own free time.

IMO philosophy forum should open and close the sports forum. I think that the philosophy forum would get more "action" than the sports forum. just IMO.

Ushgarak
What is the point of allowing total freedom if speech if its effect is to REDUCE everyone's enjoyment of the forums?

These problems are based on practical experience- please respect that this sort of thing has been tried and failed in the past and we have good reasons for the problems we raise.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
too much freedom = chaos.

SAtown_punk
But the beauty of this is that if it gets too out of hand, all they have to do is shut it down. There may be a few wounded egos because they were out-debated or whatever, but that will heal.

Fire
maybe SAtown but still I dont think the crew wants to risk it again

mook
i think it should be set up as some very interesting threads about religion etc are closed.

if its made clear you can only discuss stuff like that in this potential forum it would be good.

Asami
I like the idea of discussing philosophy, however I have noticed that political/religious threads have been closed down. I don't know why. Philosophy covers deep areas as such and more, I'm just guessing that if they get deep, they'll be closed.

Besides... Having too many areas of discussion would make the boards seem slow-moving, although Philosophy is definitely NOT general, I guess the ideal place for it is in the general discussion forum.
Not only that, it may well be noticed and taken part by more people because its on top ::thumbs up::

Raz
As long as threads don't get too religious/political then it is fine. What we want to avoid is people fighting over other peoples beliefs.

SAtown_punk
So there you have it. As long as we respect each others opinion, and civally debate ours, then we have done nothing wrong. LET'S GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD!

HockeyHorror
Perfect

Ushgarak
Err, guys, that was not a go-ahead for the Philosophy forum... nor for overtly political threads!

WindDancer
I have a question on the political comments. Are we allow to discuss historic political topics? and not current politics events? Or is it "ANY" kind of politics not allowed? Like for example can we talk about the politics that lead to WWII without offending either Europeans or Americans, or even Asians board members. Can that be posible?

yerssot
it will be very tricky I think

HockeyHorror
hmmmm no it wont be that tricky. Very simple. ANyone who opens a thread about politics/religion mod simply closes it. Very simple.

WindDancer
Yeah HockeyHorror, but is best to consult with a mod about a topic that could involve politics. Closing threads causes doubts as to how far can discussions be allowed.

HockeyHorror
Its not that hard to see whats not to be close and what is to remain open. well IMO

tptmanno1
how bout Current Politics and Religion Bashing, BAM gone before you can say "debate"
But If you wanna discuss life after death or sumthing like that then I think thats fine, as long as it doesn't become "Yea well I say so so shut the heck up!"

Also I think discussing say, "How People are effected by Power", and Using Hitler is past politics so I think it would be Ok?

Also, maybe there should be a slight disclamer, that if you fly off the hook easily or get offended really easy that may not be the forum for you.

SAtown_punk
THIS IS SO STUPID! WHY NOT JUST START DOING WHATEVR IT IS WE'RE GONNA DO!?! IF THEY CLOSE IT, THEN THEY CLOSE IT. IF THEY CAN'T GIVE A GOOD REASON, THEN OPEN ANOTHER ONE. IT'S AS SIMPLE AS THAT! I'M NOT AGAINST THE RULES OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT, BUT THE RULES CONCERNING WHY WE CAN'T DO THIS ARE, QUITE FRANKLY, STUPID. LIKE TPTMANNO1 SAID, PUT A DISCLAIMER UP AND SAY THAT NOBODY HAS THE RIGHT TO BASH ANOTHER'S OPINION. REPORT PERSON TO MODS IF THEY DO, ALTHOUGH I'M SURE WE'RE ALREADY BEING MONITORED CLOSELY(FOR NO GOOD REASON I MIGHT ADD). POLITICS MAY BE A SENSITIVE SUBJECT, BUT IT'S ONE THAT REALLY SHOULD BE DISCUSSED BECAUSE EVERYBODY NEEDS TO HAVE SOME SORT OF GRASP ON HOW THIS COUNTRY WORKS AND WHO HAS THE POTENTIAL TO RUN IT. And besides...anybody who has the capacity to discuss intricate topics such as politics should know that opinion-bashing is completely absurd.

HockeyHorror
calm down...
lol
patience leads to sucess.

SAtown_punk
I am very patient. I can wait, but this is so stupid because there is nothing wrong with having this thread. And I'm sure I'm about to be bashed for my above statements. Oh well...

yerssot
SAtown, if you're gonna go stupid and post topics just to annoy mods, get ready to face consequences than

HockeyHorror
true^

SAtown_punk
"As long as threads don't get too religious/political then it is fine. What we want to avoid is people fighting over other peoples beliefs."

Raz wrote that, so therefore we can have this thread as long as we don't get TOO political or religious. How can I get in trouble for following what he said?

yerssot
you also wrote:

SAtown_punk
ok? what's your point? I know I said that...and it's true. We have permission to do this thread as long as it doesn't become too political or religious. If they decide it needs to be closed, then they will close it. I see no problem anywhere.

yerssot
you get it wrong, THIS thread is to ask for a philosophy forum, NOT to start a philo-discussion

Ushgarak
Incorrect. Raz was simply stating on the admissibility of some threads or otherwise. He specifically said earlier that he did not see the need for a seperate Philosophy area- keep it in the GDF. He also made it clear that overtly political threads would be closed!

It's very simple, so please calm down. You are frankly only hurting your own case with such outbursts.

Raz
We don't want any political opinions.....they're the worst kind.

HockeyHorror
ok.

SAtown_punk
Whoa! Ok, sorry...I got this completely wrong. Now I get why there's a poll at the top and why this is in the questions forum. Sorry guys. I'm going to go about my melancholy way now. Cheeri-oh!

HockeyHorror
have fun smile

HockeyHorror
so...

there wont be philosophy forum right?

sad

SAtown_punk
why don't we find another site with forums or whatever and do it there? My friend is making his own and he's gonna make me admin. and mod., so when that's completed we can do it there...if you want

Raz
Not a dedicated forum right now. My suggestion was to use the GDF, as it seems the perfect home for this subject.

Fire
ofc it does, and any boring philosophy threads can still be moved to OTF

Raz
Off Topic threads get moved into the OTF wink

JKozzy
I completely agree; the GDF is the perfect place for philosophy. It's a general discussion, so why not there? Besides, it could use the posts... the OTF has too many stick out tongue

Fire
Off Topic = everything that doesn't live up to the quality standards of GDF

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>