Count Dooku might suck...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthran
Count Dooku...Darth Tyrannus...whatever you wanna call this new baddie - - - I have one serious gripe with him...HES TOO OLD! We are used to intimidating characters like vader, sidious, and maul..and this guy looks like my grandpa!

One thing that definitely makes or breaks a Star Warsfilm is th quality of the saber battle t the end...and considering Christopher Lee being 70 sumthing years of age, he cant possibly wield a saber with great skill or acrobatics...he may use the force to hrow things...but this could b very lame...and if they use a stunt double, that would be even more lame...how is GL gonna pull this one off??

worries...

Ratcat
I am soooooo going to let Ushgarak shoot this one down in falmes, he can do it so much better than I can. laughing out loud

By the way, have you seen LOTR???????? laughing out loud

finti
C Lee is in fact an excellent swordsman/fencer. He have played many roles where he was a sword/saberfighter. He may not kick and flip around. But you must not forgett that actually its only been Darth Maul who has been real acrobatic, Obi wan to a certin point in TPM.
The lame thing here is that you obviosly dont know anything about C. Lee and his accomplishments in films from the past.
And why dont you wait until you have seen the film before you bash it. I promise you C Lee looks a lot younger than he really is, also you can see him as Saruman in LOTR

darthran
YES...i saw LOTR three times actually, and lee was great in it...but he didnt really do anything but act well and throw Gandalf with his staff a few times...im not saying he wont be a good baddie personality wise..but how is he gonna be intimidating in terms of his fighting skills?

maybe they will speed up the camera for him big grin

or maybe there is another sith... confused

suprise me george!

darthran
im not bashing it at all...i dont have an opinion of him right now...and neither should you, finti...have u seen him yet?

SURE...maybe he will be excellent. But what if he sucks? Think both ways here, cmon...

Remember Alec Guiness vs. Vader in ANH? That was a pretty lame fight next to any other star wars movie..What if the saber fight in this movie is anything like that? YOU KNOW youll be pissed off...(not saying it wil be, but just a reference to another older jedi in battle).

Think about it and dont hop on on side of the fence just yet! not until you see it.

finti
I dont know what the gripe is all about, cause Vader was kind of straight up and down fighter, no fancy moves there. I think you want a more intimmedating character, kind of dangerous looking like Maul and Vader. C. Lee will be a bad ass belive me, deceiving and cunning.

yerssot
ow goody goody! They have arrived!
*runs off to get King Jedi*
Now, we will see if those battledroids are worth the price we paid...

*runs off to get Ushgarak*
Like Ratcat said...
And don't start without me please!

finti
C.Lee is more skilled with a saber than both Ewan and Hayden combined. So if its gonna suck it aint gonna be on him.

darthran
how do u know how hayden is? and mcgregor is pretty darn good with the saber, considering hes not even a swordsman...

with lee, its not the skill, its the age that worries me...

he might have a jedi heart attack during a duel.. laughing out loud

kidding, of course...what do u guys think?

finti
Knowing that Lee has played numerous films with swordfights he is actually proffesional trained for sword fighting. It is a balance thing more than anything else. It is not learned over night it takes time and coordiantion, a lot of the latter, to master the skill of fencing, dueling with sabers. I bet that Lee might have coached Hayden a bit to, Ewan did ok in TPM more of a launching attacks and defence stuff from his side.

Oh man Ush where art thou?

Captain REX
God, at least give Lee a chance. He's a great actor. Watch LOTR and Ep. II and it'll change your mind. Though I haven't seen either movie, but I will soon. Christopher Lee may be an old man (older than Sir Alec Guiness as OB1), but he is in great physical condition.

yerssot
hey finti!
Come on! Leave something for Ush!

Ushgarak
Ok folks, here I am...

Ok, Darthran, let's go through this step by step. Though it's a little difficult to follow you sometimes, as you at first say C. Lee is too old to have the skill, and then later say that it is not the skill you are worried about, just the age. You also say that Dooku is too old and then say the name of Sidious as intimidating. Odd. But never mind.

First of all you need to totally lose the mindset that you need to be a young, spritely martial artist to make a sabre fight look good. You express a certain horror that the fight will be like the one between Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH. Personally, I see no real problem with that at all; that was the most technically accurate fight (well, as accurate as you can be with sci-fi weapons), it was laden with emotion, and was a perfect example of two ageing Masters facing off in a battle of wills and skill. That said, fights like that are never going to look as exciting as the others, so once is probably enough.

You in any case need never fear, for there are three reasons why the Dooku duel will NOT be like that.

1. They have already done it. Each fight has been rather different from the one before, so far.

2. It would make no sense. The ANH duel was between TWO people with diminsihed physical capacities. This fight only involves one. At its very basic level it has to be an entirely different experience.

3. Rather more tellingly, the brief shot of the fight in the trailer shows it to be very much not like the ANH one! Rather like that shot we have of Dooku expertly wielding two sabres at once.

So don't worry about that.

But to get back to my basic point; have you ever seen old Kendo masters fight duels? It is the most amazing thing. They are not playing to kill, of course, but the principles are identical. These wrinkly old guys go up against people four times less old than them. The youngsters have massive advantages in speed and strength and agility; they can perform moves that would snap the old guy's spine if he tried it.

But the old guys keep winning. And, my, does it look marvellous! It's just the way they MOVE! It almost totally humiliates the younger ones, if it weren't for the fact that the younger ones seem pretty honoured to be up against such an opponent! Learning a few things for later life, I am sure.

Any swordfighter who relies on strength, speed and agility will be dead by the time he is thirty- or at least out the business. SKILL is the only thing that keeps you in that game. You will be amazed how more important it is than youth- and amazed how good it will still look.

Obviously, C. Lee won't be doing any flips himself, unless they bring a double in. But the OTHERS will, and that will look just fine! After all, Maul did nearly all the flips against more conventional opponents in TPM. And as far as I am concerned, the sight of an old Swordmaster calmly and competently fending off the frenzied acrobatic attacks of his younger opponents- especially Anakin- makes me almost giddy. If it's done right it will look far better than TPM!

And I have every confidence that it WILL be done right. My fellow members have already provided the evidence here. C. Lee is in amazing shape for his age, He is a VERY good swordsman. Ewan McGregor is also a good swordsman. I saw an interview with Nick Gillard last week in which he said Hayden Christensen was the fastest learner he had ever seen- his praise seemed enormous and genuine.

And finally we come down to Nick Gillard himself, a man I have enormous confidence in. A man who has already proved to everyone that he has what it takes to deliver the most stunning sabre fights (now, if that could only be paired with the emotional resonance of the Original Trilogy fights... oh man. Roll on Episode III!).

And let's not forget any possible surprises and tricks that Nick has waiting for us. Maybe Dooku has better physical capciities than are at first apparent. Or maybe not. Whatever, so long as it is done well.

So... anyway... with all that in mind.,.. quite frankly, you will have to give me overwhelming evidence that the coming fight will be rubbish before I believe it! Personally, I think casting an OLD Sith to replace Maul is possibly the best move of the prequel trilogy so far.

yerssot
*gets back with popcorn*
Now I REALLY want to see his reply!!!
This is going to be fun!

Julie
*serious discussion turns into a viewing pleasure for Yers*
Did Ush leave much unsaid?
Don't forget that there are such things as stunt doubles, and the makers of SW know what they're doing....have a little faith man.

darthran
firstly, i would like the apologize for my lack of clarity during my posts...Age was my only concern, not skill.

Secondly, to yesorno or whatever your name is, I wasnt trying to bash AOTC or Lee at all, so shut up - - - I am probably a bigger fan than you are, I was playing the devils advocate while pondering on how Lucas was going to pull off an aged sith (or dark jedi, or falled jedi, or whatever he is).

Third - - - THANK YOU, to Ush for giving his time to explain the possible thoughts of GL. Pretty good points in there..and I agree with most of them, although I would have preferred Count Dooku to be more sinister LOOKING. I saw LOTR and while he was a great bad guy, I wanted more of an evil LOOKING sith...like maul or vader. Nevertheless, Im sure his performance will be outstanding and he will grow to become of of my favorite characters.

I didnt like maul at first...

Lets just see the movie before ANY of us pass judgement ok? speculation is the key word here..

Thanks guys! smokin'

Ushgarak
No problem, Darth Ran. Actually, Lee has good form in looking evil-he's played more villains than any other actor.

Take a look at the brief shot in the trailer where he raises his red sabre. While he may not have Sidious' 'ultimate evil' or Maul's 'nasty alien' look, it has a sinister status all of its own.

yerssot
roll eyes (sarcastic) Yerssot, the name is Yerssot, Y-E-R-S-S-O-T... Can you try to get it right next time?
Have I said you were bashing AOTC? The one thing coming close to that remark was something I said to King Jedi, I didn't remember saying that to YOU. Bashing at Lee? I was the one that said everybody needed to zip it till Ush came back.
Why would I shut up? As far as I can remember you are not a mod, you are not a "statue" here, you are just a regular poster like everyone. If you want me to shut up you have to be more persuasif, not with this semi-Luke whining voice!
Sure you are a bigger fanboy then me! People crying that they are bigger fans then someone else, that always makes me laughing!
At what point, statement or WHAT RELEVANT thing do you base yourself?
You know exactly 5 things of me: my internetname, my postcount, my countryname, my www-page and my e-mailaddress. Nice going, go for the ten next time!
Sure you were playing the devils advocate, just like all the others huh?

Ushgarak
Case of mistaken identity, I guess.

yerssot
indeed, yerssot resambles yersono a lot roll eyes (sarcastic)

Captain REX
And Yerss looks like Yes almost. But who cares.

darthran
Whatever with the name...I do not believe I once attacked you personally, so dont give me that garbage about not knowing you.
I'm sorry...I stick by me being a bigger fan than you though...sorry, cuz noone is as crazy as i am. rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing

Julie
Darth ran,....age matters not!...you either have a very high or a very low oppinion of yourself wink

yerssot
You are right, you NEVER attacked me roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
laughing out loud didnt know you had an Italian cousin Yers laughing out loud

yerssot
yeah, the kind of Italian you have to pay for ...

Captain REX
Okay, that's enough bickering. Welcome to the forums Darthran. Try to not get down to TrueFan's level (if you other guys *cough yerssot coughcough*) remember him.

yerssot
Lukes whining voice:
He started it

mah
there's nothng like old villains

yerssot
I'm not THAT old

darthran
Ok - - apologies to anyone i pissed off! and yes! enough bickering! lets talk star wars

Julie
star wars....now where have I heard that before??????

sand person no. 10
why are people worrying about dooku's age, look at palpatine in rotj, a mirror image of what we see at the moment, i.e. 2 sith against one jedi as apose to tpm where it was 2 jedi against 1 sith. being evil and sinister has more to do with actions and facial expressions than anything else. look at sidious and palpatine, he's the most evil character in sw's, and it shows.

Ushgarak
Actually, on th subject of Dooku's fighting... you will note that on the Dooku action figure it has a 'force-flip attack' function built in. Now, this could be over-enthusiasm by the toy makers, or it may be evidence that Dooku is, indeed, fitter than he looks.

Captain REX
He's old, but not a wheezing grandpa who croak any day now. Chistopher Lee will probably live to be over 100. He's cool. Saruman and Dooku are my favorite roles for him so far.

I'm going to see LOTR some time this week.

Phanekim
personally i loved maul.

Chris Lee should do well. I think this is supposed to display a more mature wiser sith lord...which is more of a threat.

Oh well, wait till the film. but i like dooku.

My main worry is that lee might die b4 epi 3 is out. Then it'll suck cuz dooku is definately in the story for epi 3.

SilentMike
When I first heard the new sith was gonna be totally over the hill I was bummed too. Then I saw LOTR and I realized Christopher Lee is a great actor a lot better than Ian Mcdiarmind as Sidious. I heard that one of the reasons GL chose Lee because of the similiarities between Count Dooku character and Saruman in LOTR. I mean both characters start out as good guys and then become traitorous while serving a more powerful villain but still having their own agenda. Anyway if Count Dooku and Saruman are pretty much the same character then I'm sure Christopher Lee will be great in it as LOTR points out.

master harmax
er, don't mind me asking, but : who was truefan and what did he say ? especially to yerss ? evil face

And welcome Darthran : ignore the rough reception you've been accorded - and I can understand your misgivings about Lee - he IS 70+ after all !!

wink

Ushgarak
Truefan seemed to want to boycott AOTC over the NSYNC inclusion. A wee bit more complex than that, but that's the basics.

darthran
finally! some respect on the chat boards! thank you master haramax!

and i think lee will be very good in this film...as good as vader? nooo...as good as maul? probably, As good as sidious? definitely better.

Ushgarak
Hey, anyone who opens a welcome thread gets LOTS of friendly hellos!

LanceWindu
I thougt Sideous was a very good character played by a great actor.

peluffo
A couple of things:

-Darthran: Welcome to this place, Y'know, i'm a "new boy" here, and i think your way to "fit in" was a little agressive. Yerss is a great guy, and BTW this forums stays for us to speak, so PLEASE never make or ask for "shut up" to ANYBODY HERE.

-I feel great for AOTC to see LEE on the badass role, and find it nice, cause he shares a lot of history (with the od B Hammer's movies) with other character, MR Cushing (RIP)

-and, it could be VERY FUNNY if the Sith is like Homer's FATHER... jehjehjeh, could you imagine the simpsons GRANPA as a sith???

(the last was a joke, so DARTHRAN, don't make me sut up, OK??) evil face evil face evil face

master harmax
Allright allright everybody - chill out - so the guy said shut up once - it's not like he seriously meant it - it's all cool now anyways : smile

You're welcome to tell me to shut up anytime u like Darthnans!!
( But nobody else tell me to shut up, you hear ? )

smokin'

More importantly ...

If Bart's grandpa was a sith -

1. I think I would have to prescribe myself a daily dose of valium 5mg tranquilizers for a week : just to get over the nerve jangling aggravation and manic depression.

2. Darth Sidious would retire to Tattoine and become a farmer saying : " I'm getting to old for all this : I don't need a heart attack after all I've gone through in my life."

3. There would be no need for jedi knights either - the sith would manage to blow up the death stars all by themselves .... rolling on floor laughing

darthran
hahaha...good stuff there

LanceWindu
::In old man voice:: "Which button to fire the laser? I can't see with out my bi-focals. Oh here it is."

Whoops! He pressed the self destruct button!

master harmax
Oh yeah ... and I forgot to add : If Bart's gramps was a Sith, Darth Vader would reconvert to the light side .... at once .... immediately ..... straightaway - with or without Luke's persuasion !! eek!

peluffo
... AND MAYBE MATLOCK CAN REACH OUT THE EMPEROR CHAIR... AND BARNABY JONES KICK LUKE'S ASS!!!!!!!!!

GGGHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Julie
It's official....I am disturbed......

master harmax
So am I. Now we can be disturbed together ! big grin

yerssot
and it was only because of those posts?
I'm loosing my touch here!

master harmax
You're cunning guy yerss - it's my considered opinion you would make a much more formidable sith lord than count dooku. evil face

finti
NOT

yerssot
bwa, finti you are just jealous stick out tongue

master harmax
But of course, I would have to add that I would be a better sith lord than either yerss OR count dooku evil face evil face

(--- Harmax wonders if Lara is listening ---) big grin

Julie
Why do you wish to be evil confused

yerssot
she doesn't visit this section harmax... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Julie
"Youuuuu ssstttaaay out of thissssss!"
(what movie is that from?)

yerssot
a movie that doesn't belong in this section

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.