does power ever go to people head

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ash007
i was wondering if for example you were given power lets say to rule the world or have powers or even be a mod.

do you think that power would go to peoples head and just abuse it.

you all knoiw that saying Abosulote power courrpts.

what are your thaughts on this matter

badkittykitty
they say power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, I wouldn't say that is rule,more like the exception.

ash007
indeeed i stand correted

thank you

badkittykitty
awh shucks ..no problem smile

Peloquin
I'd say 'power' gives a person more of an excuse for themself to do what is in their heart to do. There is always the choice, good or evil, allow life or allow death. Usually people will weigh the consequences for each act. Perhaps it's in their heart to do the negative act but will hold off for fear of the consequences forced on by others. A person with 'power' over others doesn't have this fear, no one will rise up against. So it depends on what is in your heart to begin with. I don't believe absolute power corrupts absolutely, it just drops the mask on people and who they are in their heart will come forth.

SilverFighter
I don't think power corrupts the person. Good examples are Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. I think that the desire to have power corrupts the indivual and not the power itself. If the person desires to be powerful that desire itself overcomes the individuals mind and rationality.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
this is why we need a philosophy forum. please guyz vote either yes if u want or no if u dont want a philosophy forum at the News and Questions forum. thx smile

and yes power can make even the most intellectual/sophisticated person go insane. Like the movie scarface. He had waaaaaay to much power.

LanceWindu
Yes it can...look at Tex.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
LOL^

lil bitchiness
I agree with that totally.

Veralidaine
If i were to have a certain power, i would keep level headed for a short amount of time, then the power would go to my head, and power would be all that I would know...

ash007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by LanceWindu
Yes it can...look at Tex.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

indeed i agree smile

Asami
I use this other forum where some guy was made moderator.
He abused the delete button silly! Deleted one of the best debates that was going on, from ouija boards it moved to religion.

He deleted anything with the word "religion" in it and said to make a new thread out of it. To think, intellectual debates hardly go on in that forum and that nob goes getting rid of it all.

Power gets to people's heads even if its just online!

Fire
I dont know about a bit of power but absolute power corrupts

h0ck3yh0rr0r
but not always. it depends on the "ruler".

Peloquin
I agree.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Napoleon in my opinion was a great leader and military strategizer. But he made a wrong move in Russia...the French are weak against cold conditions. smile lol

BackFire
Yes, power can easily go to peoples head, and in the wrong hands have a huge negative impact on the world (hitler)

LanceWindu
*coughSTALINcough*

h0ck3yh0rr0r
*coughLENINcough*

lol

Captain REX
Not all power corrupts. Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi had a whole crapload of power!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
true^

same with many other people. but example of one that was corrupted. Maximillian Robespierre started the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution.

Tex
angel

h0ck3yh0rr0r
dont judge a book by its cover^

smile

Captain REX
LOL

Yeah, some people are just twisted in that way....

Look, power!

*unleashes reign of terror upon KMC*

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.