Did qui gon know padme was the queen?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Xantos Clone
I know this is not an important topic, but I was wondering what you guys would say about this...

I kind of seamed like qui gon was messing with padme with lines like:

"the queen trusts my jugdement...so should you"

"the queen does not need to know...."

look at his face after he says that, it's funny but I got the feeling he knew and was just having fun with the idea...almost like he was taunting her or teasing.

I can't figure out if he is surprised like everyone else or just looking at obi wan to see his reaction or if obi wan sensed it as well....

this is just a thought...I am not saying he did know..just want your thougts on it

Dim
It's seems to me that he did know and he knew he could do whatever he felt he needed to because she's have to divulge her identity in order to get things her way. I like how she ended up pouting in Mos Espa because she knew she had to let him have Anakin race.

Xantos Clone
Yea! so I'm not crazy?...there is a hint of qui gon baiting her into slipping or something...

thanks for the input

Ratcat
I agree, his look when she reveal this to the Gungans is like, "so you finally revealed it huh?"

tainted one
in the book by terry brooks, there is that scene where the fake amidala says, "either decision means grave danger, for us all" and lookes over her shoulder. then padme says, "we are brave your highness" and as qui gon reflects on that, he realizes, that this was a wierd interchange between those two.

yeah, i'm sure he knew

Ratcat

tainted one
the reference comes a bit later from where you were just quoting. later (i don't have the book in front of me right here) qui-gon thinks back on that encounter and thinks something like "queen amidala had made the decision, but not exactly" referring to the handmaiden. Ratcat, you've got the book there, it's a few pages or chapters later than where you just were. if you can't find it, i will find it and post it here tomorrow.

Ratcat
Can you, I would but I'm in the middle of pack for my vacation. I was surprised I couldn't find it, and had just a little TOO much time on my hands at the time I replied smile .

Xantos Clone
very cool gang! I'm glad I mentioned this!!

I did read the book and I wish they put more of it in the actual movie...like the tatooine saber fight...doesn't darth maul jump onto the ship after qui gon ?...

also, anakin fighting the red head kid...qui gon breaks up the fight or something....

Dim
Yeah I wonder if GL is ever going to go back and add that scene in...What do you think?

XC? think we would pick on you and tear you down? Good topic smile

Ratcat
I loved the whole injured Tusken raider scene and was really diappointed when that didn't happen.

OK, possitvely my last pre-vacation post.

tainted one
okay, here is the quote. this is from TPM page 103. This scene is on the Naboo cruiser after the escape from Naboo with the help of R2-D2. This is where Panaka is telling Amidala about their escape thanks to the droid.

=============
Queen Amidala leaned forward, and a slender white hand came out to touch the droid's domed casing. "Thank you Artoo-Detoo. You have proven both loyal and brave." She glanced over her shoulder. "Padme."

One of her handmaidens came forward. Qui-gon Jinn, listening to the exchange with half an ear as he considered the problems that lay ahead on Tatooine, noticed that it was the young woman who had supported the Queen's decision to escape from Naboo. He frowned. Except, it hadn't been exactly like that . . .

"See to the cleaning up of this little droid." The Queen was speaking to the girl. "Artoo-Detoo deserves our gratitude." She turned back to Panaka. "Please continue with your report Captain."
==============

The fact that terry brooks put those words in there at all, including the elipses ( . . .) suggests that qui-gon did have a pretty good idea, even if he wasn't 100% sure. and, brooks wasn't going to come right out and have qui-gon saying, "hey, you're the queen aren't you!" that would spoil the moment when she finally reveals herself to boss nass.

Dim
Yeah, it looks like he did know..thanks for finding that, tainted one smile

King Jedi
Does anyone else think it is strange that the fake Queen asked Padme(the real one) to clean ARTOO? There were other less important handmaidens on the ship.

Jedimaster3838
I always wondered that too KJ, maybe she did for fun, knowing the Queen wouldn't say anything to spoil her secret identidy

Dim
Or maybe she knew that Padme would want a closer look at R2?

Gundark
Of course he knew...you don't make yoda's deans list just by swinging a lightsaber in a fancy circle. He was just humoring her, probably figuring if they ran into any serious trouble, he and obi wan could protect her. Unfortunatly they didn't, as that would have been an excellent opportunity for Jar Jar to become Bantha Poodoo.

theEviljedi
Welcome new person.

Xantos Clone
I do remember specifically thinking.....geeeezzz, this fake queen is getting carried away telling padme to clean R2....like the queen was thinking "I she kidding me!?"

On the other hand, notice that padme does not leave immediately...she hangs out and listens to the discussion and is now facing the fake queen durring the discusion....I was wondering if the fake queen was just trying to get padme in her line of site to make a desion w/ padme's help etc.

or she was just really trying to sell the whole thing by having padme do a trivial task etc....if anyone was suspicious, this stunt would put an end to there suspicions.....actually....I think I'm really over-analylizing this one!!

Dim
No..I think you have some valid points..It would make sense that Sabe needed Padme in her line of sight..and I like the idea of dispelling any suspicions that others might have that she's not the real queen..

Good points XC! smile

Xantos Clone
thank you!!!

Sabe.....that's her name!!!! now I don't have to call her the 'fake queen'...

King Jedi
We still don't know what to call the "real Queen"!

Dim
If you're talking about her as the queen I'd use Amidala...or in anyother compacity I'd call her Padmesmile

Great Master Brit Hunt
I'll just call her babe. I'm sure she wont mine.

Xantos Clone
HEY!!! THE OFFICIAL SITE STOLE MY POST!!!!!

KEWOOOOOLLLLL (COOL)!!

Darth Daft
Yeah and I was the one who originally made up the question "Which planet would win the olympics?"

Dim
XC, what are you talking about?

Xizor
I haven't been here in a while so I'd like to welcome Xanatos clone, Gundarck and Jedimaster3838. I hope you guys stay for a while.

Xantos Clone
thanks Xizor!!! Dim, check out the star wars.com site....the current poll is this post...

Dim
smile yep!...weird huh?

Darth Daft
How about we go through all the different polls that have been on the Star Wars site and make forum posts out of them?

Dim
That might be cool..I know that I have a few things to say about the one they had about recasting Leia smile

Darth Daft
Yeah, but the choices they gave you were a load of rubbish. Neve Campbell? No way!

Dim
I'd rather see Neve Campbell than Sarah Michelle Gellar or Winona Ryder..(give me a break!)

Darth Daft
Yeah I guess. But all the choices they gave you were too old. You'd need another person aged 17-19.

King Jedi
Out of the ones they had I would pick Sarah Michelle Gellar. Both her and Jennifer Love Hewitt were supposed to be considered for Amidala, but I'm glad Natalie Portman got it.

Darth Daft
I would probably pick Jennifer Love Hewitt as Princess Leia. Although I don't think the buns would suit her. But then, try to think of any actress other than Carrie Fisher and the buns wouldn't suit them!

Dim
Most of the actresses on the list get on my nerves...I don't understand why they even put Winona Ryder and Ashley Judd on the list...Ashley Judd's in 30s for pete's sake!

Darth Daft

Jedimaster3838
Thats true DD but his job was to also personally protect the queen. Perhaps he felt she would be better protected under his care.

Darth Daft
Yes but it was probably Qui-Gon AND Obi-Wan's job to protect her. I'm sure she'd be much safer with Obi-Wan in the ship than with Qui-Gon at Mos Espa.

King Jedi
I agree with that. Qui-Gon had never been to Tatooine before so he had know idea what to expect. She would have been much safer on the ship.

Darth Daft
So I think we can safely presume that he certainly didn't know it was her when they first spoke in the desert by the ship. So why would he know it was her anytime later?
I don't think he ever knows at all. She puts on a great act, so that even a Jedi can't suss her out.

King Jedi
And Qui-Gon had more important things on his mind.

Darth Daft

Xantos Clone
That is a good point master Daft.

I think he did not know in the begging...(at the ship w/panaka), but it did seam like he started to sense it later and was kind of baiter her or teasing her once and a while...

By the time he may have realized it, it was too late to bring her back to the ship and thought he would keep a close eye on her...

On the other hand....he did leave her too much ...I'm still not sure, but did not look particularly surprised like the others at the end...he was more intersted in ob1's reaction....sort of..

Darth Daft
Yes I guess it's very possible that he knew, especially with that sort of smile on his face when she reveals it. He looks like he wants to say, "Ha, I knew it. I just knew it."

King Jedi
Obi-Wan smiled as well but he hardly knew her.

Darth Daft
Good point. Well to be honest I still don't think Qui-Gon knew anyway. I was just saying ideas that could explain why he might have.

Dim
I think they both knew..what kind of jedi would they be if they didn't?

Darth Daft
I think Jedi just sort of sense emotion and feelings of others. Like when Qui-Gon says "I sense a great amount of fear" and when Luke senses his friends' pain while he's on Dagobah.
Maybe if Amidala had have been nervous about her disguise then Qui-Gon would have sensed it was her, but she managed to stay calm.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.