They Live

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Striel
What do you think of the movie "They Live"-- do you like it?

Personally I think it's an interesting idea for a movie. It's a creppy thought.

I wasn't sure whether or not to post this in this section, but I figured since it was a John Carpenter movie you guys wouldn't mind. :P

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Very Good Movie.

Primitive Screwhead #1
Quotable...

"I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass... and I am all outta bubble gum."

"You... are f***ing ugly! Complete formaldehyde face!"

h0ck3yh0rr0r
LOL^ makes me wanna rent the movie

Cinemaddiction
Rent? Why the hell don't you own it? It would pay for itself after renting it twice from Blockbuster.

$8.99..Wal Mart.

Go..NOW!!!

(BTW, it's my fav. John Carpenter flick)

h0ck3yh0rr0r
funny thing is i dont go to blockbuster. i go to my friends house. thats the ONLY HORROR MOVIE HE HAS. LOL

actually he also has Freddy vs Jason and Friday the 13th part 3. but thats all

Cinemaddiction
You should honestly own it! If you have a Region Free DVD player, the R2 discs from the U.K. are loaded. Carpenter and Roddy Piper commentary track, and a "Making of.." featurette. Makes me jealous.

Seriously, this should be a staple in everyone's Sci Fi/Horror collection.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
no i dont want to own it. i've seen it a million times already.

BackFire
I unfortunately haven't seen this movie in years, and for some reason it's difficult to find around here where I live, no blockbusters carry it. In fact, I totally forgot about it untill I saw a special on HBO entitled "Masters of Horror" where they mentioned it breifly. I do remember it was interesting and creepy.

Someone really needs to open a shop that specializes in obscure horror films that are difficult to find, I would live at that place.

Cinemaddiction
I'm trying to delve a little deeper into horror movies now, personally. So, having to get caught up, with only Hollywood Video and Blockbuster Video, both with limited selections, makes it really hard to find older, more obscure flicks.

I've managed to get "People..", "Last House..", "Jaws Trilogy", "Re-Animator", Peter Jackson's old stuff, etc. Neither place has "They Live" on video or DVD, but I have owned it for quite some time now.

BTW, has anyone seem the newest Re-Animator?

BackFire
Nah, I heard terrible things about it.

Yeah, hollywood video and blockbuster are both terrible when it comes to obscure horror films. You usually have to resort to online purchases of movies you've never even seen, because it's the only way to see them.

Striel
Anyone see the Southpark episode with the "cripple fight?" The creators of the show said they modeled that fight move for move after the fight near the end of They Live.

wicker_man
I found it on Amazon (.com) if your intrested BF.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-8369935-8308621

Evil Dead
The South Park Cripple fight is modeled after a fight in They Live............it's the fight when Roddy Piper is trying to convice the black guy to put the sunglasses on, to show him the subliminal world.

VH1 had a show on called something like "VH1 Goes inside South Park".........it was on a few weeks back. They interviewed Matt and Trey about it.........then showed the split screen with South Park on one side and They Live on the other.........they copied the fight dead on.

I also own They Live...........picked it up for $10 at Walmart last Halloween when they had a bunch of cheap horror dvds............Walmart owns near Halloween.

Primitive Screwhead #1
God, that South Park episode was freaking hilarious. That shot to the groin was dead on the money!

Cinemaddiction
"The black guy"? Don't you know who Keith David is? confused

Evil Dead
I have seen him in many films.........did I take the time to memorize his name like he was one of my favorite actors so I could look for movies with him in them? No.

Cinemaddiction
Shit, you wouldn't have to look very far. Platoon, Requiem for a Dream, They Live, The Thing, Pitch Black, Armageddon the voice of the UPS commercials..

He's legendary for being a bad mother ****er, basically.

Primitive Screwhead #1
Dead Presidents as well. I recall him beating the shit out of someone with a prosthetic leg in that movie. Talk about bad-ass.

Striel
I didn't know the guys name either.

Cinemaddiction
It's not a crime, lol. I think he's underrated, and often forgotten, although he's been in some of the best Sci Fi movies of all time.

samhain
I love this movie, I've had it on video for a while but I may spring for the DVD now that I know it's full of extras. Speaking of Carpenter, I heard that a remake of Assault on precinct 13 is on the way.

Evil Dead
I believe somebody said if you're in Europe the dvd is full of extras.........here in North America all we have is a bare bones dvd. No special features.

Cinemaddiction
Yep, that was me. APEX makes really cheap region free DVD players, should look into it. And for those of us with PS2's, there is a "region free" disc online for $20. Pop it in, load it, eject it, then insert any Region disc and it will play.

Striel
They Live comes on tommorow night on AMC.

I just thought I'd let you guys know in case anyone wanted to watch it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.