NJO: Rebel Dream

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LanceWindu
Here is the cover for the next book in the Star Wars Timeline:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345428668.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Julie
At the risk of sounding ignorant...whose the guy on the front???
I've seen this before....it's nice but I think I like DJ's cover better...go figure.
Hey, I guess you beat me to a thread on the next NJO book smile

LanceWindu
Guess I did.

Julie
keep it interesting smile

LanceWindu
Huh?

Julie
Keep the thread updated with anything and everything......BTW how long tim Rebel Dream releases?

JediOasis
Its Wedge on the cover

LanceWindu
He sure let himself go, didn't he?

Julie
He's had a hard life.

LanceWindu
Haven't we all?

Julie
Well, yes....but I doubt our lives have quite as much excitement as the heros of the Star Wars universe......

How long is it til Rebel Dream releases??????????

LanceWindu
I have to go check, it can't be too far away. Yet any time is to long for me.

Julie
True. I'm gusessing late march early april.

Sooner the better. Hope it's not may.....may that seems familiar......

LanceWindu
Why does May sound familiar?

JediOasis
I think its in April, May probably sounds familiar cause thats when AOTC comes out?

LanceWindu
Maybe it will be in April cause it would hold fans over til AOTC. Also the hype is going to start building even more around that time.

LanceWindu
Okay, I've been searching and I found the official release date for this book.

It is.............March 26 2002!

Not that much longer of a wait.

LanceWindu
Over at Unofficial New Jedi Order Homepage I found a message by a guy in the forums who says that He found an article that says it is official that Luke goes back to Coruscant and breaks into the Vong stronghold.

LanceWindu
A quick plot summary from Nom Anor at theforce.net forums:

Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream (Apr., $6.99) by Aaron Allston. As the Yuuzhan Vong's conquests continue, Luke, Han, Leia and Wedge are forced to destroy what they have risked their lives to create.

Julie
I was being sarcastic about may roll eyes (sarcastic)

Anyway, I got my answer. Rebel Stand comes out on March 26th according to SW gamer....thanks for finding out though....I appreciate it.

LanceWindu
You mean Rebel Dream?

Julie
Yes, right.....me and typing...not so good combo.....I meant Rebel Dream.......

LanceWindu
Oh. I can't wait for it to come out. Just counting the days so I can have something to do when counting the days til AOTC.

Julie
hmmm.....good idea.....a bunch of small countdowns make the big countdown go a lot faster.

Faster is good smile

Do you think RD will be better than DJ?

LanceWindu
I don't know cause DL was good. At least we know that RD will have more characters points of view.

Julie
Ah true, but I like it both ways....that's why NJO is so good....it mixes it up a bit. wink

LanceWindu
Yes, but there was just way too much Jaina in DJ.

Julie
hahaha.....I suppose that's true, but Anakin and Jacen also had their books....Conquest and Balance Point

LanceWindu
Yeah true. I wonder when they will come out with a book dedicated to the lesser characters in NJO and YJK. Like Zekk or Lowbacca or Tenal Ka.

Julie
Which would you like first....if you had a choice? Lowie....Tenel Ka ...Zekk....personally I don't think they'd give these characters their own book, but they could make one that focuses on the three of them.

JediOasis
I think the authors just wanted a book for each of the Solo kids and now they all have one. Personally, I'd like to see an entire book dedicated to either Luke or Kyp, the two best Jedi Masters going right now.

LanceWindu
If I hd to chose between Lowie, Tenal Ka, or Zekk, I think I would choose Tenal Ka. She is strong and smart. She is also the new Queen Mother of Hapes. They should definately make a book about her.

One thing that confuses me about the NJO is that at the end of YJK Jacen and Tenal Ka were basically going out and the same with Jaina and Zekk. Whatever happened to their relationships?

Julie
hmmm....perhaps more development will take place, who knows

Personally, I really dislike Kyp. Rebel Dream will probably have alot of Luke Skywalker, though.

Tenel Ka's a cool character....I kinda hope she'll take her place as a jedi again. I firmly believe that Jacen Solo is alive....therefore I believe that a future romance b/t him and Tenel Ka is still very much possible wink

LanceWindu
Only 18 days until this book comes out!

Julie
Wahoo........ok so what's with my spoiler tag????????

18 days......that's also 18 days closer to AotCsmile

LanceWindu
I made a thread about that stuff in the Announcements/Support forum. Go check it out.

Julie
That's ok it's all better now wink .... you were saying....How many days now?

LanceWindu
17 I believe.

Julie
What's the date it comes out...I can only remember it's this month and I don't feel like thinking about adding wink

LanceWindu
The 26th it is supposed to come out. But I found the last NJO before it was even supposed to come out.

Julie
eek! Where....gotta get hands on that book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LanceWindu
I went to Walden books in Nevada where I used to live.

Julie
Nevada!!!!!!!....that's a bit far away. I'll just have to stick with the 26th....

LanceWindu
Same here.

Julie
Are you going to buy it and read it ASAP or savor it...and try and make it last?

LanceWindu
I'll save it for later. I still have three other NJO's that I haven't got around to reading yet.

Julie
eek! read read read read read.....must have NJO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you waiting for?

LanceWindu
I've got a lot of other books that I want to read also. I dont know where to start.

Julie
Which NJO haven't you read yet?

LanceWindu
Umm Ruin, Hero's Trial and Onslaught

Julie
hmmm what other books have you been meaning to read.....those were all ok books...I mean they are NJO but the more recent stuff has been a lot better.

JediOasis
Onslaught and Ruin I thought were the two best books, with Star by Star being the worst. Stackpole did an excellent job with those two books. Hero's Trial is good cause it is the one that has Chewie's funeral and Han finally fights again.

Julie
jedi oasis and I seem to have differing opinions of the merits of various NJO books, but that's ok. C'est la vive.

I really enjoyed SBS but it was a bit depressing

JediOasis
I just thought that the events of SbS did not need to happen. I did like Dark Journey, even though if you choose not to read it you are not missing much of the story. I just think that Onslaught and Ruin are the most entertaining books.

Julie
I agree about the whole unnecessary aspect, and you are entitled to your own opinion about which you thought was most entertaining. Personally, the newest NJO books seem to be the most exciting. DJ was a great book, though like you said one could easily skip it and not miss much in the overall story.

LanceWindu
But you all have to agree that DJ is a great bridge between SbS and RD. Just so we know what happens in before RD but after SbS.

Julie
That's a safe assumption, but a bit premature I think....we haven't even read RD yet
and your right I think we all do have to agree to that wink

Julie
When will the excerpt be out for Rebel Dream?????????

LanceWindu
I don't know but the book comes out in 7 days!!!

Julie
You're right...yeaaaaaa......that'll also be 7 days closer to AOTC!.....they'd better put out the excerpt soon!

LanceWindu
I hope they do too. Have you checked at Amazon yet?

Julie
I did a couple of days ago, but they didn't have it then....perhaps I'll check again tomorrow...

LanceWindu
I checked today and they didn't have anything.

Only a few more days!

Julie
wanna read excerpt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....why doesn't anyone have it yet????

but I guess I'll settle for reading the book in a few days big grin

LanceWindu
Same here.

Julie
What'll we do for these last couple of days??????????????

LanceWindu
I'm going to finish reading my other 2 books that I started.

Julie
two? I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do that!....and I usually only stick to kiddie books when I multitask wink

LanceWindu
I'm reading Onslaught and The Approaching Storm right now.

Hey Jules, you need to check your PM's. I sent you a PM a few days ago and it says you haven't read it yet.

Julie
Sorry...I don't usually check for some odd reason.....
*goes off to check PMs* big grin

LanceWindu
It's ok Julie. We still love you anyways.

Julie
Thanks.......
*sniff*

"way to make a girl sentimental"

smile wink

LanceWindu
*Hugs Julie*

I know that's me, Mr. Sensitivity.

Julie
big grin *hugs Lance back*

It came!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....errr rather I went out and bought it wink

I won't start it until at least thurs though.

LanceWindu
Why the wait? I need to get some money so I can get it.

Can you post what is written on the back of the book? Those paragraphs help us that don't have a chance to read the book...yet at least.

Julie
Sure, I still haven't started it yet b/c I am in the middle of theLast Command and I still have Heir to the Empire to read...they are from the library...I might get to RD in a few days though b/c I am on Easter vacation....anyway here's the back of Rebel Dream:

As the Yuuzhan Vong's devastating conquests continue unchecked, Luke Skywalker, Han and Leia Solo, and Wedge Antilles are forced to destroy what they have risked their lives to create....

Scattering after the Yuuzahn Vong's invasion of Coruscant, the panic-stricken members of the New Republic Advisory Council pause just long enough to set up a mock defense on nearby Borleias-- an attempt to buy time that fools no one, least of all the Jedi.

Leia and Han Solo travel from world to world to forment rebellion against the New Republic's disasterous appeasement policies. But Luke Skywalker has chosen the most dangerous assignment of all: to sneak into the Yuuzhan Vong's stronghold on Coruscant. His outrageous scheme is to gain entry is either brilliant or suicidal, depending on the outcome. Bearing down swiftly on Borleias is a Yuuzhan Vong invasion fleet, determined to destroy the galaxy's remaining defenders....

Whew... wink

LanceWindu
Wow they're going to destroy the New Republic??? What will come after that? The New New Republic???

Julie
Actually it's called the Resistance
I'm in the middle of the book...it's very good so far, but I won't spoil it too much for you smile

LanceWindu
Spoil me! Spoil me!

Julie
Are you serious? eek! ...ok...I'll do so as soon as I finish the book, I'm about half-way through.

LanceWindu
Yes I'm serious, since I probably won't be able to get it anytime soon.

Please hurry up and finish it.

J/K take your time.

Julie
I'll prob be finished it tomorrow...I spend far too much time in here talking to you instead..J/K I love posting big grin

LanceWindu
Who doesn't?

Julie
hmmm...maybe I should start a thread on that is the general section...the only thing I dislike is that it takes time....time I could be reading or doing homework.

LanceWindu
True

Julie
So do you have a job yet....job= money = Rebel Dream big grin

LanceWindu
No. I'm going to Lowe's Home Improvement tomorrow to try and get a job stocking stuff.

Julie
oh...that's good...at least you're looking....

LanceWindu
Yeah, I really want a job too. I want money.

Julie
You asked for it.....here it is...my review for Star Wars NJO Rebel Dream...

non-spoiler: This was an excellent book that shows Star Wars at its best. Though some may say that it is a bit uneven, I personally believe that it was well balanced as far as characters...Han and Leia Solo and Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker are back, but they do have slightly less page time.

Once again, Jacen Solo is talked about, but he is not involved in the plot of the story. Hopefully this will be rectified in the future NJO books. At one point near the end of the book, one of the Vong characters notes that twins are not rare in this galaxy and so are not so special.....
Jaina Solo is one of the central characters in the book. There are several touching scenes that involve her...one with Tahiri and one with Jag and one with her mother.
Luke Skywalker's mission is barely starting as Rebel Dream is ending....Rebel Stand will most likely focus on the daring mission.
Wedge Antilles and his wife and Danni Quee have large yet still supportive role is RD....
Kyp Durron is present, but he is changed...and a lot less annoying.
Jag Fel and Jaina take the first steps in developing a relationship...Jaina stops keeping people at arms length.
Overall, RD is a great book that once again leaves the reader aching to have more NJO. It has action, but also, it deepens Jaina Solo's character. The battle is a victory, yet one knows that the enemy has much much more is store for our favorite characters to deal with...

LanceWindu
I love you Julie! Taking your time to spoil us about the book.

Nice review BTW.

Julie
Thanks...it's always nice to be loved cool

Here's another little spoiler for you...
Rebel Dream is a happier book than the last couple of NJO books. Jaina Solo's little "bubble emotional defense" begins to desolve in RD....Jag Fel and Jaina Solo kiss wink

Well there you have it...spoiler of the day smile

LanceWindu
You forgot the little / in the last spoiler tag.

Julie
Whoops.....welll somebody'll have to fix it because its been more than an hour

LanceWindu
I thought it was only a 15 minute period that you have to edit it in.

Julie
sad I thought we had an hour to change things like that??

LanceWindu
Not that I remember

Julie
oh well it matters not.... wink
What does matter is that you need to get Rebel Dream ASAP smile

LanceWindu
That Yoda talk is weird!!!

Julie
Sorry I am, but now tempted me you have wink big grin evil face

LanceWindu
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julie
scream not evil face
spoiler of the day
part of Rebel Dream, the good guys are meeeing with the Vong's heads...they pretend that Jaina Solo is a goddess...which leads to several humerous scenes...

LanceWindu
That's got to be funny

Julie
Yea it is....
at one point she wants Jag to be her servant......

LanceWindu
HaHa!

Julie
needless to say he turns her down flat....it's very funny.....at least he has good reasons for refusing.

LanceWindu
Yeah if he would have accepted she could make him do whatever she wants.

Julie
No...he had a really good reason....you'll have to wait for the reason, not too many spoilers wink

LanceWindu
Oh alright.

Julie
hmmm maybe I can think of some other tantalizing facts to send your way...

LanceWindu
Please!

Julie
Lando and his droid soldiers are back

LanceWindu
Good. Lando kicks ass!

Julie
true..... the beginning of the book has a part where Lando is in the middle of the fight, he's sweating and saying he hates to work....I think Aaron Allston captured his character very nicely

LanceWindu
Yup. He never likes to work...unless it'll make loads of money.

Julie
This time he gets an even better deal...he gets to live smile

LanceWindu
Being able to live is a good deal.

Julie
Exactly....you want another Lando spoiler?....it's about the end of the book so it's pretty well ....its at the end....

LanceWindu
Don't tell me the end. Just stuff before the last 5 chapters.

Julie
oh ok...I'll have to think on it for a few min..... I'm not sure this counts, but Kyp and Jaina's master/ apprentice relationship mentioned in DJ is NOT really expanded upon

LanceWindu
I wonder why they didn't do anything with it.

Julie
Personally, I'm glad that not much is happening....they did briefly address the issue....and I think it's well....you'll have to read the book to see how it all pans out, but don't feel bad because to definately fine out we need to wait til Rebel Stand....

LanceWindu
Ahh yes, making us need the next book in line to see what they are going to do.

Julie
just thought you'd like to know Lando also gets involved in helping 2 jedi take out some bad guys preying on refugee ships

LanceWindu
He's always a helpful man when you need it isn't he?

Julie
Yes we also get abrief appearance by his wife....

LanceWindu
Very rare for that to happen.

Julie
true, but it was nice to see her...even if it was for about 2 pgs wink
There are so many characters to cover, it's a wonder anything ever happens in the books

LanceWindu
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from Wal-Mart and I bought Rebel Dream for $4.88

I am so happy!

I won't pstart reading it until I finish with the Thrawn Trilogy though.

Julie
I'm happy for you big grin ...at least you have the really really good SW book in your hands now wink

LanceWindu
I know!

I'm gonna hurry up and finish the Thrawn Trilogy soon so I can get to reading it before the AOTC novelization comes out.

There's too many SW books to read!

I still have 15 I need to get to read.

Julie
Only fifteen?.....I have lots of Star Wars books I haven't been able to read yet...for time and shear lack of the book.....BTW in my borrowed collection of SW books I found Splinter of the Mind's eye and Spector of the Past smile

LanceWindu
I had a chance to read Spector of the Past and I've got Splinter of the Minds eye.

Julie
Nearly everything I've heard about Splinter has been negative....but I still plan on reading it....just for completion. On the other hand, it is pretty low on my priority list....I think after the book I'm on I'm going to read the X-wing books wink

Julie
wow we haven't talked in here for awhile. I finished The Hutt Gambit and I'm in the middle of Rogue Squadron. I should be able to start the novelization for AOTC soon!!!!!!!!

LanceWindu
Good, good, good.

AOTC novel good, no AOTC novel bad.

I'm bad then.

Julie
confused roll eyes (sarcastic) ummm...ok.....
anyway I finished the AOTC novization today. It was really really good, but not the movie......I listened to the soundtrack for most of the time as I read it, but the movie'll bring all the elements together wink

LanceWindu
Yeah, so the music matches the right scene. You can't truly do that while reading the book because you'll have to keep playing the same song over and over til you finish that scene.

Julie
true...I think I listened to the cd about 7 times while reading the book....and I read more than 3/4 the book that way.....even though I had to sit on a fairly hard chair b/c I was too lazy to move my stereo big grin

LanceWindu
I would have just put a walkman cd player on and gone to the comfy chair. That way no other sounds could disturbe your reading either.

Julie
That'd be nice only I don't own a walkman.....

LanceWindu
eek! How could you not own one??? eek!

Julie
simple...I never bought one stick out tongue
actually I didn't have my stereo until I got it for my birthday last year.....To tell you the truth I never even listened to much music until I started to drive and needed the background noise

LanceWindu
OMG, how could you not be into music???

Julie
*shrug*
just never really listened to it that much....my sister would play some, but I never really liked it...I still don't like loud music...

LanceWindu
Whenever I listen to music it better be loud.

Julie
Don't you worry about damaging your ears roll eyes (sarcastic)

LanceWindu
Not really.

I like the bass of some rock songs.

Julie
Rock!!!!!...I'd think that would be too loud and obnoxious for me to stand wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.