The Exorcist is rubbish all that hype for nothing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mbeach
All the the hype about the original Exorcist is all rubbish. Yeah there are a few good bits in like the spider walk but does not stand up with some of the other films. yeah when it came out in all those years ago it was deem as scary but now i just lauagh at it. all the the trouble it caused and banning it was a joke!!!. it shows now all the the so called video nastys are been released that shows how rubbish some of them are

Evil Dead
the movie is lame as hell............

Don't even give it the credit of "yeah when it came out in all those years ago it was deem as scary but ".............there were much better pictures made around the same time or before that didn't suck (Jaws, The Amityville Horror, The Omen, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, etc. ).........

The movie sucked in the 70s.......it sucked in the 80s.....it sucked in the 90s.......guess what, still sucks. The movie was never good, even in comparison with the other horror movies that were coming out near the same time it was released.

mbeach
yeah there was some good films made around that time like omen which is a very good film and the evil deads and in a way the texas chain saw maschre but that as so bad you you need so see another good horror to get over it

Cinemaddiction
Why is it, when people say something "sucks" or is a "failure" they can't offer anything but their opinions? Never any backing.

I'll agree that it is a bite overrated, like most original horror movies. What put it over the top at the time, aside from the spider walk, swivel head, and projectile vomit, was Linda Blair masturbating with a cross and..well..the words that went with it.

I think it's well deserving of it's "good for it's time" title. As is TCM, and possibly "Last House". Besides, it all boils down to opinion, and all those movies have since been eclipsed.

Striel
I agree with Evil Dead. In my opinion, the movie was/is slow and boring. Some parts were disturbing to watch but it was/is over rated.

BackFire
I never cared for the Exorcist, it's to slow and the boring scenes far outweigh the cool, creepy scenes.

botankus
What "other films" are you talking about? The sequels?? I would hope not. Do you mean other films of the time or other recent films of the same genre?

BTW, congratulations on being able to use the word "rubbish" in a sentence. I'm impressed!!

Asami
Must agree, it was a terrible movie. part 3 was on tv just the other night, too boring to watch

amlap
yeah the movie was boring and kind of crapy, but it had so many parts that everyone is gonna remember... like the spinning head, the walk, the vomit, the masturbating, adn for some reason her pissing on the floor when her mother is playing piano always comes in mind.

and when this movie was made, stabbing your virgina with a cross had to be some creepy contraversial stuff.

granite its a slow boring watch, but its creepyness factor was there.

Evil Dead
"Why is it, when people say something "sucks" or is a "failure" they can't offer anything but their opinions? Never any backing."

um......because "sucks" is an adjective used by people to display their opinion. An opinion is an opinion because it is not fact.........hence no facts to back up the opinion.

Would you like to know why I think it sucks? Well.......

- It is slow as shit.......so boring
- The plot is weak.....they had a good idea but just didn't flesh out the story
- I watch all kinds of horror movies........I can watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space once a month, yet can not sit through one viewing of the Exorcist.

The only reason the movie recieved attention is for the cross jabbing scene.......and as you said, the words that accompanied it. It garnered so much press from that scene that the next generation of kids heard about the movie..........it must be good if it's old and people still talk about it, right? So over rated. Repossesed (comedy flick w/ Linda Blair and Leslie Nielsen) was much better. Atleast it entertained me.

The movie was talked about so much in the press because of the above mentioned reasons..........yet I have to see a majority or even close to a majority of horror fans on the net or in real life who would rave about this movie the way the press does. Most are indifferent.......but a lot hate it. I'm in the latter category. I have yet to find two people on any one horror forum on any board who say "Oh my god, the Exorcist is soooo great, I love it!"..............

botankus
NO!! The reason it received a majority of the attention was because it was nominated for BEST PICTURE!! It was nominated with the following movies: American Graffiti, Cries and Whispers, The Sting (the winner), and A Touch of Class, none of which are horror movies. So the fact that it was in that group of movies speaks volumes in itself for the horror genre. Let me ask you another question: Would you have rather had Bang the Drum Slowly in its place?? I'm not saying it's the greatest movie in the world, but to treat the movie like Evil Dead or Jeepers Creepers is ridiculous.

Yes, Repossessed is very funny.

Guess what, The Exorcist put horror movies on the map. Like the movie or not, that's a positive. In fact, I'll tell you right now: I agree with the fact that it's a boring movie and I don't watch it but like every five years or so. But I am glad it existed, probably just as much as any horror movie I can think of.

Evil Dead
I still say it sucks...............and you're right, The Exorcist shouldn't be treated like Evil Dead or Jeepers Creepers. The Evil Dead is actually good.............and Jeepers Creepers is extremely horrible. The Exorcist falls on a happy middle ground between the two.

it put horror movies on the map? ah yes......because before 1973, nobody had ever heard of a little man named Alfred Hitchcock or two masterpieces or horror he created like Psycho or The Birds...........which were extremely popular in the main stream culture.

seriously......you are giving this movie too much credit in terms of horror history. Sure.....it was a big name flick in the mass entertainment industry......but to say it put horror movies on the map is just ridiculous. It didn't even put horror movies into the mainstream (ahemhitchcoknudgenudge)..........not to mention the fact that there were already millions of horror genre fans who loved watching the B movies like Night of the Living Dead.

Atleast your not saying it was good.........that I can respect you for.

botankus
I thought we weren't comparing it to Evil Dead or Jeepers Creepers? If so then it cannot be on a middle ground between the two.

The only films I would put in the same classification (explained below) would be The Omen series, or something cheesy like The Believers, but they came afterwards and were no doubt inspired by The Exorcist.

I will give you props somewhat for Night of the Living Dead and for Hitchcock but what I am talking about is that The Exorcist took a sensitive subject (satanic possession/religion), an R rating, a horror backdrop, and the movie was rejoiced by a broad spectrum of fans. Hitchcock's films only qualified for two of those traits (backdrop & broad spectrum). 1973 was only a few years after the "R" rating was invented in 1968, so while there were other quality R-rated movies in that time period which could be classified as horror (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House on the Left), this was part of an important beginning to the R-rated genre we know and love today. BTW, how many films like The Exorcist have gotten the broad critical acclaim since 1973 that it did?? Hellraiser? No. Nightmare on Elm Street? No. The Omen? Nope. Evil Dead? Noooo. Would any of the aforementioned flicks have even been in the TOP 100 when they were voting on Best Picture??

Again, personally I do not think it is all THAT good, but I respect the film.

amlap
^well put

mook
It is a great film but with all decades of hype surrounding it and the progression of horror films since its release it cant have the same effect that it did then.

still good though.

botankus
Good point, mook. Example of a sort: Remember when in July 1999 everybody and their mother were completely enthralled by The Blair Witch Project and in August 1999 everybody and their mother were like, "hmmm, that actually wasn't that great."

I was born in 1975 so I do not know firsthand but I am sure in 1973 when it was released it was probably terrifying to everyone.

mook
thanks.

i still like blair witch tho.

papabeard
All of you who think the Excorsist is rubbish are misguided and well, foolish. The Excorsist, is one of the greatest films of all time. Obviously these detractors, have have no respect from the themes of this movie. I think these people are not true fans of horror, they do not want origignal ideas, and well written stories, they want friday the 13th sequels and clones where a Killer who never says anything, hacks teenagers to death, these are mindless, low brow pieces of shit not worthy to be pissed on by the excorsist. TO me there has really been nothing that comes close to the greatnes of the Excorsist. The way they created such a stifling and claustrophobic atmosphere was incredible, also the use of special effects such as the Devil voice Montage, was very frightening and realistic and plausible, not over the top, also the writing on the chest and the spider walk were very unnerving. I also enjoyed the weaving of real life stories of excorsism and religion, very effective. It was filmed as if it was straight drama and worked very well. The scenes at the beginning where the artifacts are unearthed was very plausible, and the images such as the dogs fighting and the devils shadow lit from behind, or the priest coming out the taxi with the light shining down, was incredible , these are iconic images. The devil flashes and the superimposed faces were genuinely disturbing. The Excorsist set the bar high, and i dont think that anyone has cleared it yet. It influenced so many movies in so many ways to say that it is rubbish is heresy and obviously the opinion of a muppet, hahahahaha

papabeard
Botankus is about the only person here talking sense!

dean7879
i agree 100% with papabeard....exorcist is a quality film, people say its slow paced...well what did you expect!?!? i find it sad that people cant appreciate the excellence of the movie

PissedOffGoalie
its true, i heard the Exortist was the scariest movie ever made so i rented it and it wasnt scary at all

tabby999
no it was mind numbing shite. you can talk about atmosphere all you want, but where do movies like The Exorsist influence Friday the 13th, Haloween or any of the slashers? do you see Jason masturbating with a cross? do you see Freddy spider walking? does Myers prjectile vomit? no they dont. they might use dim lighting but thats all i can think of

PissedOffGoalie
yeah but it still wasnt scary...i mean, Capitan Howdy?! C'mon!!! and there is nothing scary about mansubation. the movie was very good, i bought it, but not scary

zombieman
The Exorcist is very well researched from both a psychology perspective and a religious perspective. I'm a big fan of this film mainly for the reason that it really got me thinking, largely about my own faith and values.

tabby999
ah well you see theres your problem, most people here probibly ditched their faith and values ages ago, you cant laugh at someone getting decapitated AND have values, its not the way it is wink

~Johnnyz#1~
WEll i thought it was so boring that i had to phone call coversations with friends while i was watching the movie...

The Redeemer
There's little point going on with all this pro EXORCIST/antiEXORCIST waffle. The fact is that THE EXORCIST is a landmark film like others of the genre like FREAKS, DEAD OF NIGHT, PSYCHO, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, TCM, SUSPIRIA, HALLOWEEN, THE EVIL DEAD and TBWP etc.

Each has reinvented the genre. And there's more I could mention but there's no point. THE EXORCIST is about a little girl growing up in an alien adult world with no future hope except to escape into her inner world of horrible demons...

Victor Von Doom
How many times, and how many different ways, can we misspell Exorcist?

I think it gained its standing via Daily Mail type outrage, and this was due to the killer combo of swearing, a young girl, and religion. The first and last have lost much of that original capacity to shock though.

I didn't think it was all that.

Pyrofly
i didnt think it was scary at all... me and my friends were really hyper so i was laughing at almost everything lol

dean7879
laughing at everything?
why?
shame that many people dont take religeon seriously..this supposedly happened and shoudnt really be laughed at....i suppose you find the movie scream scarier???

'God's heart is the most sensitive and tender of all. No act goes unnoticed, no matter how insignificant or small.'

Evil Dead
get out of here with that shit kiddo. Don't start resorting to crap like "I suppose you thought Scream was scarier", hinting around that the person only watches/likes modern teenage popcorn flicks just because they don't like the Exorcist.

Guess what........the Exorcist is boring as hell. It does nothing for me. It's almost as challenging to stay awake through it's entirety as it is to stay awake through Lord of the Rings. What.....are you going to imply that maybe I like teeny films like Scream and Urban Legend so I don't know good horror flicks? I think not my friend. That's not the way crap works around here.

You liked a boring movie....good for you. You have the right to your opinion. Other's, including myself, dislike the film........get over it. It's not because we in some way don't know good horror or something, the movie is just boring as shit. If a movie can't keep me concious...I don't rank it very hight on the good film scale.

oh lord........I'm not going to get into a religious discussion and if it's absurd or not because it is prohibited on KMC.........but I guess now we can all see where exactly your views are coming from.

Cinemaddiction
Not to snide you in any way, but while they are landmarks, none of them honestly stood the test of time, except for Halloween and the Evil dead movies. TCM would be another good example here.

Exorcist wasn't scary, people. Not even for it's time. It was visually shocking because of the subject matter. Doesn't mean it was scary? Besides, there was no real fright until the 4th act, and it's "big payoff".

It's almost funny to look at now. I think alot of people just bought into the hype surrounding, and don't want to let it go, for the sake of sounding like a hypocrite. Admit that it's not scary, we won't hurt you. wink

zombieman
Having studied psychology, theology and religion at college and university I found the subject matter of the Exorcist very interesting. However, I feel like Ive spent far too much time defending this movie on internet message boards to no avail, so im just gonna say each to their own.

leatherface12
This movie was a freakin waste of time. Whoop dee fricken do she can throw up and spin her head, like that crap is supposed to scare people. This movie was just pure crap. It was way more boring than it was cool.

dean7879
Originally posted by Evil Dead

You liked a boring movie....good for you. You have the right to your opinion. Other's, including myself, dislike the film........get over it. It's not because we in some way don't know good horror or something, the movie is just boring as shit. If a movie can't keep me concious...I don't rank it very hight on the good film scale.

you aint got a clue what you are talking about mate...exorcist would be more remembered and respected in 50 years than the film evil dead....i wonder why???think about it....and im not sayin evil dead is crap..it is probably more entertaining than the exorcist but you are missing the point,the exorcist.......sigh......forget it...im sick of explaining

Evil Dead
bahahahahaaa

glad to know I don't know what I'm talking about, mate. I've not seen many horror films you know.......

you're right......the exorcist will be remembered more than The Evil Dead (is it really remembered right now in the main stream even?).........not because the quality of the film is any better, only for the same reason it is remembered right now. That being the controversy it caused when it was released........the uproar about the crucifix scene, etc. If it were released today it would fall into the same mediocrity as The Ring...........because as a culture it wouldn't garner all of the "shock value" publicity. Hell, you can probably buy videos today of nothing but women shoving crucifixes in their vaginas while diperaging god.

mediocre movie now.......always has been. It's fame is due to nothing more than the controversy it garnered upon it's original release.......and it's content is not even controversial anymore.

leatherface12
^ he is correct, the evil dead series is far better than the exorcist and the exorcist in the modern days is just a joke. Its crap, the controversy is what caused it to be so famouse back then but now its crap.

zombieman
The Exorcist is a very important film for the horror genre because it brought the concept of demonic possession to the mainstream. Without the Exorcist we wouldn't have had the likes of Amytiville 2, Stigmarta or The Possession.

jack0987
I just watched this movie again, I gave it another shot b/c of the hype and I'm going to ***** about it again. I don't care that this topic is 6 years old, the movie is older and even shittier than it is old.

RECAP: first 10 minutes: old guy not identified until an hour later is walking through rubble, talks completely irrelevant shit, you can't even count it as dialogue. a couple stone statues are dug up, but these are all pointless and have nothing to do with the rest of the movie. if you watch the movie skipping these first scenes, you don't change anything. it takes place half way across the world from the rest of the movie also. the next 20 minutes are also ridiculous, it's the director's pathetic attempt at character development but this is the breakdown:

stereotypical mother says stereotypical shit that's supposed to give us the idea that she's an average mom who loves her daughter. how does the director do this? well, he has the mom tell her Regan she loves her. very clever.

stereotypical priest says stereotypical priest bullshit that's supposed to give us the idea that he loves his mom and is doubting his faith, blah blah blah. it's ****ing lame and shallow, long story short - anyone could have done as good of a job.

stereotypical daughter is in a few scenes in which she just proves she's an average, one dimensional character that you still don't really know anything about, except that she's normal.

okay... congrats I guess. the director has managed to give us a half hour long introduction with boring scenes to show us a bunch of lame, one dimensional characters. literally nothing happens and any other introduction to these characters couldn't be worse unless you tried pretty hard and even then you'd need the source material and just make it longer or tweak it a bit.

did I mention the "demon" is introduced as captain howdy? yeah... stfu.... another daughter who is barely in the movie just plays with a ouija board that she apparently just randomly found in the closet that she didn't know she even had... and talks to someone on it named captain howdy, but none of this is actually shown and it's done as ineffectively and boringly as possible - through excruciatingly bad dialogue just like the rest of the film, and when she tries to summon this captain howdy she fails. the scene was probably lame, boring, and unintentionally funny so they decided to just let you guess.

the next half hour is just funny, Regan appears as if there's something obviously wrong with her, so doctors shoot her up with something, put a hole in her neck causing blood to spray everywhere, and spin annoyingly loud machines around her head to find out if there's anything wrong with her... for you dumbass fans out there, the irony is that these disturbing methods of finding out what is wrong with her, at this point, should **** her up worse than she already is.

it's also around this time that this 10 year old uses the phrase "goddamn ****" and the doctor is asked if she should see a psychiatrist, to which he basically replies, "no, this is normal, we should run tests for a few more months." LOL. remember the whole reason she's here is b/c she pissed on a rug before seeing these methods the doctors use, and decide it's best to continue using, BEFORE RESORTING TO A PSYCHIATRIST. as if that were worse and as if a few more months of these tests aren't going to land her in the asylum by themselves.

then she goes from slightly ****ed up to full on, obviously possessed. the next scene she's in after this, and keep in mind that everything that's happened so far is at least possible and natural: she is shown stabbing herself in the vagina, twisting her head completely around, telling herself to let Jesus **** her, and moving things around in her room with telekinesis. keep in mind that the second craziest thing she's ever done before this scene is cuss. LOL

okay... despite the obvious ridiculousness of this sudden transition, let's suppose for a second that for some reason this big bad devil person wanted to possess a child. what the **** could that reason possibly be? what did it want to accomplish? you're telling me that satan himself wanted to possess Regan so that it could taunt priests, puke, masturbate, cuss, and lay in bed for the whole ****ing movie ? oh no, watch out, don't hurt me Satan....

yeah, b/c that's what the devil does. he disguises himself as "captain howdy," chills in your attic, and then decides to possess your kid so it can perform such evil acts as spouting immature phrases and cussing while it lays in bed. sooooooo scary. GTFO. tell me the demon isn't in bed for over half the movie, including the entire last hour, and you're lying. this movie ****ing sucks. the demon doesn't even do anything all that evil.

let's assume you or your kid absolutely must be possessed right now. would you take this scenario over a random one? seriously, consider this question. you can either put up with being stuck in bed, or you could be damned to be forced into doing god knows what. the choice between random and most likely truly evil acts such as murder/rape, or supposed "evil" that really just borders on immature blasphemy. I think you'd rather the bed scenario, come on. you'd even get to spit on priests, and if that's not a deal maker I don't know what is.

the point is, the movie is awful. the actors are good, it's better than halloween at least, but it's boring and stupid. it's immature shock, comparable to Freddy Got Fingered, the only difference is that it's presented as horror instead of comedy and fails miserably.

oh and if you're one of those assholes with the excuse that this is "just believable," or "this could totally happen!" I'm just going to point out the fact that your god directly contradicts himself on the first page of your "holy" book, not to mention dozens of other times (see genesis 1:20 and 2:19). oh yeah and he kills people, way scarier than this big bad satan dude you're so afraid of in this stupid, boring movie.

you have no excuse to be afraid during this movie. why were you pussies so terrified as to be running out of the theater? you must have just been too paralyzed to run during TCM. the movie blows and to quote the so very mature Regan, you can "shove it up your asses, *******."

the ninjak
An excellent film and you kids are so used to high speed entertainment that you can't handle tension and realism.

jack0987
Originally posted by the ninjak
An excellent film and you kids are so used to high speed entertainment that you can't handle tension and realism.

realism, that's a laugh. oh and my favorite movie by miles is The Godfather, exorcist is boring and immature and I'd be willing to bet that I'm older and smarter than you. this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it IS slow, the pace isn't to blame for how rotten it is. the demon's introduced as captain howdy in one of the saddest excuses for a scene with even more pathetic dialogue and lame, stereotypical characters.

the director and writer just plain suck. later scene: "is there someone in there with you?" "yes" "is it captain howdy?" are you ****ing kidding me? I'm shaking in my barney the dinosaur underpants, I think I'll need my teddy bear for the rest of this scene, let me pause it. this totally would be a kids' horror also, if it weren't for the fact that it's just too obscene. too obscene for what should be the target audience, too immature and laughable for an intelligent adult. dumbass amateurs. not surprising they never did anything else notable. read my last post. "cunting hun," "you mother****ing worthless **********," "your mother sucks cocks in hell," "let jesus **** you."

if I said anything half as disgusting without quoting the movie, I would be banned by forum nazis for obscenity and trolling on most boards. oh yeah, and while I'm at it btw, "there seems to be an alien pubic hair in my gin." wtgdf?

mardook
Originally posted by mbeach
All the the hype about the original Exorcist is all rubbish. Yeah there are a few good bits in like the spider walk but does not stand up with some of the other films. yeah when it came out in all those years ago it was deem as scary but now i just lauagh at it. all the the trouble it caused and banning it was a joke!!!. it shows now all the the so called video nastys are been released that shows how rubbish some of them are

This only illustrates the very fact that today's generation of movie viewers have been exposed to crappy movies from an early age. Today's movies show everything right away and overexplain everything.
Then when they go and see something from a previous generation and they claim FAIL, GAY OR It SUCKS! Because it could not achieve some perceived sense of expectation that it was truly scary.
My answer to that would be... well too bad. You grew up in the wrong time period. Sucks to be you! wink

Darth Piggott
I agree that the Exorcist sucks, but obviously that's just personal opinion. I saw it when I was like nine or 10, and I just thought it was horrible. My mother was all excited to get me to watch it, and I wasn't scared nor did I have any nightmares. My mother said it was scary in her day, but nowadays I think it sucks. I think it just shows how everything evolves and people start liking new things. Back in the day people thought pong was hot, but now it couldn't hold a light to games like assassins creed. When Madonna came out with that Vogue song I think, it was banned from MTV because of he sexual scene, now thas common in videos.

Deano
the movie is over hyped to hell but its still a quality movie

its not boring either, you just haven't got an attention span

Darth Piggott
I never said it was boring, and when I say it sucked I mean from a horror point of view. The movie itself was pretty good. I wouldn't say I don't have an attention scan just because the Exorcist wasn't up to par with my standards. I mean lets be real when the movie came out some critics complained that it was boring. I'm sure they don't have short attention spans being critics and all, because who wants to sit around watching movies all day?

Deano
my comment wasn't aimed at you specifically.

its a great movie in my opinion. do you have to have nightmares for a horror movie to be good? no of course you don't.

you just want lots of action,blood and gore and it was never about that in any way.

what specifically did the exorcist lack?

Darth Piggott
I don't have to have nightmares for a horror movie to be good, but when I was young I was afraid of the dark. Not once when I laid in the dark did I think about some possessed girl coming after me, I prob would have tried to have sex with her at that age, even though I didn't hit puberty. It just didn't have that shock factor, that kept me in the story. Good movies should be able to control your emotions.

I agree with Evil Dead in that Jaws, The Amityville Horror, The Omen, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, Night of the Living Dead, and others were great movies, but I just didn't like the Exorcist. You know Hostel had a lot of blood and gore, but I still thought it sucked because I thought the story was stupid. For me action, blood, and gore is good but the story is what captivates me, the rest is just icing on the cake.

Deano
the film was never meant to scare you in the way that ''oh i dont want this possessed girl after me''

its about the strain a family has to go through when there 12 year old daughter is suffering terribly. that is the main theme.

i always thought of the exorcist as a drama first with horror elements thrown in. it is character driven which makes you care for the characters

again you say its not about blood and gore and you say its about the story, so i say again...what is it that was so bad about the story in the exorcist? what would of made it better in your opinion?

the film was perfect in what it set out to achieve. just cos you don't like it doesn't make it bad. its just that the film didn't appeal to you in the way in which you would of liked

Darth Piggott
I never said I didn't like it as a movie just from a horror view. I don't think it's a bad movie, but I agree with your statement that it didn't appeal to me in the way I would have liked. If you put it as a drama first then I can accept that, I just don't think that its a good horror movie. My problem with it was that it never scared me thats all. Nothing else

jack0987
Deano: "what specifically did the exorcist lack?"

A demon that DOESN'T go by the name of Captain Howdy. A demon that wasn't introduced in a lame scene with a daughter who finds

R A N
D O M
Ouiji board in the closet that she didn't know she had. A victim that we actually know something about, that makes her likable. but no, if you were to introduce a priest, 9 out of 10 people would just show him doubting his faith and loving his mother through bad dialogue and boring scenes. that was no feat, the movie is pathetic, the story is simple, the characters are one dimensional, it sucks ass. and I love almost every classic horror you could name. this isn't one of them. oh yeah, and I ****ing hate every horror I've seen in the past decade, although I'm very astonished with the writers of Saw.

if you've ever watched a 7 part horror film, you'll see there is no thought put into it whatsoever, but if anything there is way, way too much plot in Saw. I actually view it as more of a cop drama, especially 4 and 5. blows friday the 13th, halloween, nightmare on elm street, the howling, puppet master, texas chainsaw massacre (as a series), child's play (as a series), and hellraiser (as a series) out of the water.

the ninjak
Originally posted by jack0987

A demon that DOESN'T go by the name of Captain Howdy. A demon that wasn't introduced in a lame scene with a daughter who finds

R A N
D O M
Ouiji board in the closet that she didn't know she had. A victim that we actually know something about, that makes her likable. but no, if you were to introduce a priest, 9 out of 10 people would just show him doubting his faith and loving his mother through bad dialogue and boring scenes. that was no feat, the movie is pathetic, the story is simple, the characters are one dimensional, it sucks ass. and I love almost every classic horror you could name. this isn't one of them. oh yeah, and I ****ing hate every horror I've seen in the past decade, although I'm very astonished with the writers of Saw.

if you've ever watched a 7 part horror film, you'll see there is no thought put into it whatsoever, but if anything there is way, way too much plot in Saw. I actually view it as more of a cop drama, especially 4 and 5. blows friday the 13th, halloween, nightmare on elm street, the howling, puppet master, texas chainsaw massacre (as a series), child's play (as a series), and hellraiser (as a series) out of the water.

The story was in the end that Reagan is actually a great healer and many have been born around the world. Demons like Pazuzu possess and kill them. Captain Howdy was just a name Reagan created, like an imaginary friend. And Pazuzu was a great villain.
This film didn't need to express such a plot. It gave us a family dealing with a sick daughter who actually turned out to be possessed.

Deano
Originally posted by jack0987

R A N
D O M

it went by the name of captain howdy to LURE regan in. the demon is called pazuzu. use your brain kid.

i couldn't understand the rest of your ravings . sorry

the ninjak
Originally posted by Deano
it went by the name of captain howdy to LURE regan in. the demon is called pazuzu. use your brain kid.

i couldn't understand the rest of your ravings . sorry

The fact that he thinks the Saw series >>>>Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Hellraiser proves he is clueless.
And only interested in cheap fast paced thrills.

Bring it on punks! Tell us why The Exorcist in your view was such a "rubbish!" film. Looks like alot of you need a lesson in art.

Deano
Its OK if people don't like it, they are entitled to there opinion. But it seems they have to go over the top and act as if its a terrible terrible movie, which it is far from being

the ninjak
Don't mind me kid's just think of me as your drunken uncle who likes to have a rant sometimes.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
How many times, and how many different ways, can we misspell Exorcist?

I'm more interested in knowing what "mansubation" is & can I do it in public? cool

K.Diddy
beer I'm 50/50 on this one, I would never label The Exorcist as a 'great' movie,but I like it enough to own and maybe watch once a year,but I do agree it was and still is,completely overrated and none of the sequels did the movie any justice at all eithier

anfernee06
^^ nice..

DanzielBoi
Just saw the movie like 10 minutes ago and I will have to say. I am a bit disappointed, and I will say why.

I won't argue the cinematic effect of the movie on its genre, or the idea that the content was more than repulsive in the day, except for the fact that it did have more of a shocking factor back then than it does now. But only because like most things we get desensitized to things like crude language and obscene gestures (masturbation) and gruesome blood squirting and repulsive throwing up (to some).

But that in itself is not the reason why I was disappointed. The hype that was been created over the years is a bit like a snowball, what was once a good movie in it's time has wined down, and there are still those who can appreciate it and look at it from the perspective of its time. I can appreciate the movie and I really do.

But like I said the hype was like a giant snowball but as soon as I watched it the snow ball finally hit something and got destroyed. It wasn't bad, mind you that some people found it to be long and boring, my BF being one of them and I to a lesser extent. I mean I did find the movie had certain parts that were somewhat unnecessary, but I felt that overall it moved well enough. I mean if you come into it with a mind set that it's going to be super ridiculous scary like I somewhat did then it's going to flop for you.

I was excited because I heard such good things about it, and of course even though I had never watched the movie until know I was aware of the more famous scenes, and watched pieces of documentaries on it. But this is what I get instead.

Spoilers just so people know.

============================================

Not much explanation on anything at the beginning to be honest, which I guess I can't really blame them at this point because its the beginning. I will give them the fact that they know who to portray distress quite well even without saying a word. But still a bit of explanation wouldn't hurt. I mean it seems as if the priest is having a series of internal dialogue which we as the audience have no idea about. But like I said I didn't really care much because it was the beginning and nothing really needed to be explained.

Now to the middle of the movie, there wasn't much going on all of it was the mom freaking out over test results and no progression at least not positive in her daughters health. The priest's mom died which a bit later he has a dream where she seems to be asking for help and is walking down to the subway station. But I believe that was a dream that the demon conjured to make him worry about his mothers soul subconsciously. Which was one of the more ingenious part of the movie. Overall the middle was the most boring part of the movie, probably the part that people don't really care for. That being because even though the movie is about 2 hours and some change long, none of the characters are truly developed enough to really care about them, which is just personal opinion, I mean while the movie seemed slow paced it was too fast paced for characterization. Take the cop for instance, he is there and we get what he is doing, but the movie makes him seem like a much more crucial part that he really is. If anything his removal from most of the movie would effect nothing. Which is kind of disappointing, I mean things like that were what caused a lot of the time to be removed from fleshing out the characters. But anyway to the last part.

The exorcism was the most interesting part and I understand that is what a lot of people watch the movie for. Obviously the movie is hyped and talked about more in regards to the exorcism but sadly that is only really like 20 min of the movie. But I had come to expect that from some other movies that involved exorcisms. But when the most notable part of the movie is only 20 min long then some people are bound to be disappointed, heck even the cover picture scene which a lot of people recognize automatically wasn't introduced until the end of the movie. The exorcism itself was good but how it was resolved was a bit weird. I mean the priest dies... But how? I assume that the demon got loose and killed the priest, but then again the priest had an ailment and was old. So the world may never know, and then the priest becomes emotionally compromised and starts chocking the demon... in the name of the father? But in the end the demon was removed from the girl, because the father was screaming asking the demon to posses him instead of the girl, which apparently the demon wanted the entire time. He wanted him, I assume because he was a father of the order, which was losing his faith. (perfect time to strike) but I guess the demon couldn't posses him because as I know the demon has to give you permission and or you have to be "friends" haha. Sorry lost my train of thought. But anyway as soon as the girl possessed by the demon removed the fathers pendant and possessed him which I assume that is the reason he wasn't able to be possessed before. I assume I am not the first to notice that.

Overall like I said before I liked this move, because in the end I took it for what it was. A movie that was more about suffering rather than horror. But so much was left unanswered at least for me. The only thing I found somewhat scary/creepy was the floating face that appeared out of no where like twice, that was interesting and good quick jump scare tactic. But not really horror movie quality, the characters underdeveloped I ended up not really caring much about anybody. Emotional connections don't need to be made for a horror movie, but if you are going for more of a drama/horror, or maybe a different direction with horror where you want your audience to feel like that could be them, then you need more of an emotional connection between your audience and the character, the audience can't just automatically think that could be them, they have to see it from a more emotional/psychological side. But anyway the priest and his mom, yeah we get it his mom died it was sad, but did it really contribute anything to the movie? I mean sure you can argue that his faith was shaken by it, that it was used to kinda prove that the girl possessed knowledge she shouldn't and yeah the demon kind of used it against him, but all of that had no major impact on the story. Just like the cop/detective who had no true place. I could go on but I shall not. the movie was good for its time, and it shall forever be revered that way. Nothing will ever remove that no matter what anyone says, but we have to come to the conclusion that while it was amazing in that time, now it doesn't come to the standards of Hitchcock films, and others that have after it.

But I will say this though, the reason that it was actually so boring, was because it was based (although I don't know how much) on a true story. So if a supernatural occurrence in real life happened, maybe the creators/director of the movie didn't think it needed spicing up, hence the boring nature years later, the felt the reality or truths of the event would be sufficient to scare people, and leave a lasting effect. Which it did, and that is probably the reason it is so boring, we are so used to supernatural stories that are "real" now a days to be scary and hyped, that is why now they say "based on true events" because they change quite a bit at times to make it that much more interesting, because everyday human life is quite boring at times. So I don't blame the movie for that it was trying to be honest from the perspective of people there.

So that is it, I was probably repetitive at times (seeing as I am most of the time lol) but I hope I got my point across, I thought the movie was good and interesting. But as a sole horror genre movie it doesn't cut it. It is gross, and crude, also it takes some things that can be disturbing which don't make a horror movie, but the horror like qualities it did have it only had some of those factors and in a very limited spectrum so horror? no, drama/horror possibly drama/supernatural/suspense yeah pretty much.

COG Veteran
Never saw it but I will give it a shot nonetheless just because it's one of the classics. Nothing will ever stack up to the awesomeness of "the thing".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.