Sideous' Origins

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bigsef3
Anyone ever wonder where Sideous came from? We know Sideous is Palpatine, the former Senator for Naboo, so that would mean he grew up and lived on Naboo, likely got involved in politics, and worked his way up to become a senator....

But at what point did he become a Sith Lord? Before or after he became a Senator? Was he a Sith his whole life growing up on Naboo, and then got involved in politics as a means of getting in power and annihilating the Jedi? Or was he in politics, and then became a Sith, because this would help him in his plan to become Emperor?

Which came first, the Sith or the politician? Is there any truth to the old rumor he was 3000 years old?

yerssot
I think a sith first, and that to get the power he went into politics to maneuver things around

The One Part 2
I don't think he grew up on Naboo. It would be unusual for the Jedi to miss him on a planet like that. I believe he was born and raised on another planet, studied the Sith code, and came to Naboo as an adult. This plan to conquer the universe probably started at a young age, evolved over many decades, and included becoming a senator. I'm sure somebody will write about it after 2005.

bigsef3
Palpatine HAS to be Nabooian or whatever you want to call it. He is their senator and represents their people to the republic. Granted, within the US, senators did not always grow up in the states they represent, but we are talking about whole planets, here. Whether Palpatine spent his entire life on Naboo is not necessarily relevant. But he definately is Nabooian.

yerssot
when dooku says that "ten thousands star systems are rallying to their course" or what ever, and you than look at the senate, of those star systems had all only 1 representative (so, not one per planet) the senate would still not be big enough

so I think it's save to say that some senators are representatives of more than one star system

Volundro Ramm
Not sure if this has been asked before, or if im posting it in the right place but, somethings been bugging me for a while..... Where did Sidious come from? I mean, we learn in EP1 the the sith had been extinct for a thousand years or whatever, so..... where did he come from? Who trained him? How did he become a Sith? Will this be answered in EPIII? He cant have just popped out of nothingness! Can he? Is Sith Holocrons the answer? If so, i feel thats a bit of a cop out. Anyone else wondered this? And has anyone got any thoughts?

Darth Jello
Darth Bane survived and the sith have been hiding and manipulating events to get revenge for a thousand years. Palpatine/Sidious just puts those plans into completion

VengeanceGOD
Keep in mind that this is firmly EU, and take it as such.

Now, we have no idea when exactly the Sith Academy on Korriban was or stopped turning out sith. In the same vein, we have no idea how old Sidious is. It's possible he could've trained there.

Darth Jello
Darth Bane and the final sith conflict were lucas' ideas.

Darth Jello
he can hide himself in the force, the sith got to him before the jedi.

VengeanceGOD
huh? No, I meant my idea, not yours, was EU.

Perhaps these two threads should be merged?

glenn
Who the hell is Darth Bane

The One Part 2
I don't think Palpatine HAS to be Nabooian. He very well could have lived there most of his life, though. If he is, please explain how Naboo that is in deep with the Republic could have a force sensitive like Palpatine without the Jedi knowing. And if the Sith found him first, I would think that Naboo of the Republic would report a Sith presence on the planet. It's not like they could just walk in and take him without someone noticing. You have to remember that the only reason Anakin wasn't noticed by the Jedi was that Tatooine had no Republic presence.

bigsef3
Naboo is a planet. its BIG, and if Palpatine can mask himself from the jedi right under their noses, i dont think hed have a problem on another planet.

yerssot
this sith that lived a millenia ago, got mentioned briefly in the epI novel

Darth Jello
Basically this guy named Lord Kaan united the sith for one last stand against the Jedi. The Jedi master Hoth and his army of light fought a huge battle with the sith in which the sith massacred each other as much as the jedi did. Through this time, Darth Bane, a sithlord opposed to kaan started realizing how stupid the sith really were. he realized that in its nature, the dark side creates greed and lust for power. He then knew the battle was lost and escaped before something called a "thought bomb" wiped out both armies. As the last dark lord, bane created the new sith order, declaring that there shall only be two Sith at a time, that all Sith lords shall create an identity for themselves with Darth as a title in his honor, and laid the groundwork for the revenge of the sith, a massive plot which eventually led to the rise of the empire. How Yoda knows about the law of two is still a mystery, but if i'm not mistaken, Insider said that the Jedi owned several writings atributed to Bane. guess they just assumed that no Sith lived to restart the order.

Ushgarak
I am still awaiting evidence that Bane was a Lucas idea. It is still EU.

Incidentally, there is a thread on this on the same page so I shall merge them...

Darth Jello
he was in the original episode 1 script as backstory

Ushgarak
Can you show me something that demonstrates that?

The One Part 2
Jello, if you have a copy of that script, please post it. I'd really like to read that.

yerssot
original scripts don't count as canon, it's the final version, the one that makes it as a movie that's canon

Ushgarak
Yes indeedy, though in this particukar case I am less intersted in canon than I am simply curious to know whether Bane really was a GL idea!

Darth Jello
I don't have the annotated script anymore (library late fee) but I remember him being in that episode 1 script.

yerssot
a mentioning of him for about two lines or something like that, no?

Ushgarak
Well, if you find it, I want the reference... until then I am really unsure.

xeous
Why can't you just take his word for it?

yerssot
cause that's no proof

dtlb
But why is he so old? Aren't politicians from Naboo younger?

Captain REX
It is still considered EU. Darth Bane was around before Lucas really began work on his prequels, methinks.

PrehistoricFrog
this is from the starwars.com official databank

not EU.go to the site and go to "the movies" and then pick an episode(1-6).there will be a data bank for all the characters from the films,organizations,ect.

this is from the organizations:

Homeworld:
Korriban, Coruscant

Associations:
Darth Vader's suit
Dooku, Count
Kun, Exar
Massassi Temple
Maul, Darth
Palpatine
Sidious, Darth
Sith Infiltrator
Sith lightsaber
Sith probe droid
Sith speeder
Vader, Darth
Yavin 4

An ancient order of Force-practitioners devoted to the dark side and determined to destroy the Jedi, the Sith were a menace long thought extinct. The current incarnation of the Sith is the result of a rogue Jedi dissident from the order. Two thousand years ago, this Jedi had come to the understanding that the true power of the Force lay not through contemplation and passivity. Only by tapping its dark side could its true potential be gained. The Jedi Council at the time balked at this new direction. The Dark Jedi was outcast, but he eventually gained followers to his new order. Awakening beliefs from the dark past, the new Sith cult continued to grow. With the promise of new powers attainable by tapping into the hateful energies of the dark side, it was only a matter of time before the order self-destructed. Internecine struggle by power-hungry Sith practioners dwindled their numbers.
One Sith had the cunning to survive. Darth Bane restructured the cult, so that there could only be two -- no more, no less -- a master, and an apprentice. Bane adopted cunning, subterfuge, and stealth as the fundamental tenets of the Sith order. Bane took an apprentice. When that apprentice succeeded him, that new Sith Lord would take an apprentice.

Thus, the Sith quietly continued for centuries, until the time of Darth Sidious and his apprentice, Darth Maul. By that time, the galaxy at large had believed the Sith to be extinct, a fabled threat from the past. Qui-Gon Jinn's report of a Sith attack on Tatooine was met by the Jedi Council with hesitation and skepticism. Surely if the Sith had returned, the Jedi would have detected it, they reasoned.

The dark side, for all its power, is ultimately hard to detect when required. A shadowy master like Darth Sidious was able to keep his presence a secret, even when sharing a world with the Jedi Temple.

With the death of Darth Maul at Naboo, the Jedi Council realized that the Sith menace was true. What they hadn't puzzled was whether Maul was the master, or the apprentice. Years would pass before the Sith menace arose once more, a menace that would eventually come to engulf the entire galaxy.

yerssot
a very fine copy-paste you did there.
now read this:
Lucasfilm Canon Policy: "Canon includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelisations. These works spin out of George Lucas' original stories, the rest are written by other writers."

it's very nice that the OS has a bit of Darth Bane in it and how the sith arose, but using it to say that it's a fact is way of the chart and should be considered as EU (up to this point)

VengeanceGOD
Allright, let's clear this up once and for all: If he was mentioned in the novelizations, he's canon, or at least his existance is. Unfortunately, the OS Databank is not canon, because it contains many many EU references.

Ushgarak
Whilst Bane is clearly not film canon, like I said before, my interest is more in whether he is George Lucas' idea right now! I am less interested in the canon of it. The reason I am not just taking someone's word for it is because I have read all I thought existed on what GL has to say on the origin on the Sith and I never saw him mention Darth Bane, hence it would be a surprise to me if it was so. If it IS so, then I want to read what he had to say about that also, if it is not so, I would like that cleared up.

VG is right, the OS link is no good in this argument- please check the thread at the top of the page; in this case the OS is clearly just repeating the EU backstory.

VengeanceGOD
Honestly, I have no way to offer you "proof" that George thought of Bane...but that is what I've heard for quite a lot of time.

Captain REX
I read on SUPERSHADOW that it was GL's idea... What the f**k?

Darth Jello
Supershadow says a lot of things, I htink a lot of the novelezation stuff are Lucas' ideas at the time. after the way he got pissed off at the swordfighting in ESB, I don't think he's one to give liberties with his scripts

Captain REX
He only came up with Coruscant, that much I know about him and the EU.

Darth Jello
he came up with coruscant, but Timothy Zahn named it

Ushgarak
Oh well, it makes little difference. One way or another the eventual emergence of just two Sith, Master and Apprentice, is GL's idea and the first Master in that set-up may as well be Bane. Much of the stories tokld about him are all EU of course.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.