Ska

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SAtown_punk
Ska is an amazing genre of music, and it is my personal favorite. Anybody wanna comment on that? I know I'm not the only one who loves ska.

johnny_rotten
I used to really like ska. The Specials were my fave..by a long way. It brought a bit of fun to the scene...

Good for you, for enjoyinh it.

loserib
not really into it but i have nothing against it

stinkfist462
i havent much Ska ... but i did hear Goldfinger and i kinda like them

wicker_man
I'm also partial to Goldfinger, they've got some pretty strong lyrics blended in with infectious sounds.

SAtown_punk
For those of you on here that haven't heard a lot of ska, and want to, I would strongly suggest checking out the bands I have posted above in the poll. They are amazingly talented.

SAtown_punk
Come on down, you ska fans. VOTE!

PrefectRonnykin
i like reel big fish

amlap
specials...

SAtown_punk
ahhh, the specials....old school.

Evil Dead
I love ska music. Ska is the hybrid of Reggae and Rock.......and I like both. I really like the slower/mellow ska......more of a reggae flavor to it. It turns me off when a lot of ska bands make rock music and throw a couple horns in the background and try to pawn it off........

I'm not voting because you didn't even list three of the greatest ska bands........Ruder than You, Skankin' Pickle or The Toasters.

i like the rx-bandits the most, the catch-22, then buck-o-nine

SAtown_punk
I don't like The Toasters. Skankin' Pickle isn't bad, and I haven't heard Ruder Than You. I can only fit 10 bands on here, ya know...I put the ones that most people will have heard of.

amlap
yeah because you sure did miss alot of great bands
-hepcat
-insteps
-bosstones
-slackers
-pietasters

but then again those are jsut some of my favorites.

hey and if anyone lives in the philly area check out ruder than you on friday!

SAtown_punk
I don't like Hepcat. I know I forgot the Bosstones, forgot Slackers, and I haven't heard the Pietasters...but I know they have a new album due out soon.

amlap
whos that the pietasters?.... i think they are having a new live cd coming out. but an actually cd in not sure, i know they are putting out a dvdeek!. if you like the bosstones im pretty sure you ll like pietasters!

how can you hate hepcat? they are the only band of the third wave that are truest to the roots of Jamacian Ska. maybe you jsut picked up the wrong album not saying that some of their albums suck but they jsut need time to grow on ya. their best album is Scientific...

SAtown_punk
that could be. I just don't really like the Jamaican voice. But I'm sure it will grow on me.

GABRIEL05
I like ska 'cause the let horn players take REAL solo's

amlap
you sure you got the right band?

if your talking bout steves voice(lead singer of pietasters) then you a little crazy in the head stick out tongue . steve is prob one of the closest (but not) guys to being a frat boy!

if you listened to certain songs like "cant stand it" or "drunken masters" you will here more of a regae voice which is not steve. the guys name escapes me now but hes some screwny white guy.

if you want some good pietasters songs check out:
Maggie Mae
Freak Show
Out All Night
Biblical Sense
or my favorite Stone Feelings!

SAtown_punk
ok, thanks.

lil bitchiness
Reel Big Fish are super cool...Goldfinger rocks as well though!

amlap
its so funny because everytime i look at that poll the specials look so out of place... sad

SAtown_punk
what do you mean?

amlap
come on man you have the specials, the starting band of the 2nd wave of ska with all 3rd wave. you could of at least put madness or selctors on there.... no

stick out tongue

SAtown_punk
never heard of either of them.

amlap
great stuff... esp. selecters.

and i know you heard of madness.... just think
"our house
in the middle of our street
our house"

SAtown_punk
oh, ok. Yeah. They were ska??

periera
the Mad Caddies are my favorite, but i'm not that big of a ska fan.

SAtown_punk
You like Reel Big Fish and OpIVy, though. That's a start.

periera
Ah yes! Good point, I'd forgotten completely about Op Ivy

amlap
Op was never really a ska band.
*they were the years when tim armstrong still cared bout the music!*

periera
what makes you think that tim armstrong no longer cares about the music?

amlap
because he use to promote ska/punk when he first started hellcat, but not he dropped all the ska bands except for the obvious, Slackers< because they are bringing the money.

another thing, when rancid made Life Wont Wait --which is one of the best rancid albums-- ska started to go main stream...examples Reel Big Fish, Bosstones, and Less Than Jake. well by the time LWW came out ska had lost its image and became an underground favorite which really killed rancids record sales. so proceeding LWW they came out with Rancid 2000 which "went bakc to their roots" but was also i terrible album. and now with this new album... im sorry but all i hear is a mix between The Transplants and Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards.

tim is even credited for the original break up of hepcat because of producing differences.

periera
hepcat? Sorry, I'm not familiar with them. Is that a band or something?

amlap
hepcat is a great ska band that was originally put out on moon ska then signed to hellcat--during which they broke up, and some of hte members started a b and with the former LBDAS known as dubcat--

but hepcat is now back on tour. they are prob the closest to original jamacian ska that you will hear from the third generations of ska bands.

SAtown_punk
"Indestructible" is the best Rancid album since "...And Out Come The Wolves". But Rancid has never made a bad album. And As far as I can tell, they have never changed their sound. Rancid 2000 was a but more angry, but that's it. Every one of their CD's are great. How do you hear a mix between Transplants and The Bastards? The only song that even remotely sounds like Transplants is "Red Hot Moon", and that's only because Rob sings on it.

To be ska, you don't necessarily have to have horns and whatnot. I really don't think Tim cares about the money at all. If Hepcat broke up while on Hellcat, I'm sure it was something that had been brewing for a long time.

amlap
ok...have you ever listened to The Bastards? the guitar is jsut the same as everyother Bastards song.

and as for changing their sound.... if you pop in rancid 2000 and LWW you can def fine a big differnce between the two. there is barely a hint of ska influence in 2000 where as LWW was a ska cd. and if you think thenew album is better then LWW then we are fighting because that is a great album.boxing

and if tim cares so much about the music then why did he drop all his ska bands when the sole reason for the label was to promote ska/punk?

SAtown_punk
I can't answer that, and if he cares more about the money, then that's his business. As long as they are making great music, which they are, then who am I criticize his motivations?

I know "2000" didn't have much ska to it, and I think that's because it was written and recorded very quickly during a time when Tim and Lars were pissed about something. They chose to release their frustrations in the form of a great, hard-hitting punk CD. "Life Won't Wait" is amazing, yes. But so is "2000", and so is every other one of their CD's. I don't think "2000" is better than LWW, but I also don't think you can compare the two. And I think "...And Out Come The Wolves" is their best album.

Yes, I've heard the Bastards, and they sound like any other punk band. Just power chords played repetitively and quickly. But still great.

amlap
i dont know i jsut have a hard problem with Tim... he jsut doesnt make any sense to me... but thats me.

judging the best rancid album is never impossible. it all depends on which style you are into, because their cds all are very different in their ways. except rancid rancid and Lets go hae alot of similiarities. for me its a tie between Lets Go and LWW.

and agree... i love the Bastards. but i def hear that sound in the new rancid, which is kind of dissapointing. i jsut feel that they have hit their peek and that their albums are jsut gonna go down hill, which mean they should def get out now and work on their other projects and maybe tour every so often!

SAtown_punk
I think they are smart enough to get out when their music starts to go downhill, but I can't see that happening. At least they're both fairly young, so they have about 10 more years ahead of them, probably.

amlap
yeah but rancid is dead. you say that you like the new rancid, but that sdoenst count for the 10 other rancid fans who hate it. the thing is that they lost their name and credibilty (esp with the tim armstrong writting songs for pink. i personally couldnt give a rats ass but rancid fans take that offensive or some shit.) and i think that tim and lars have way better things going for them with their other bands that they no longer need rancid. and matt, that guy is so ****ng amazing that im sure he prob has some side shti that he is working on.

and another thing... i dont even think their live shows are all that exciting.

SAtown_punk
Oh well...I still love them, and I have only seen them play live once, and that was at Warped Tour last year. I would love to see them play a club or something.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.