Oscar Time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ToMacco
The list of nominations come out on Tuesday. So what will be nominated?

I think it will be these five:

A Beautiful Mind
The Fellowship of the Ring
Gosford Park
Monster's Ball
Moulin Rouge

(don't agree that these are the best five movie, though. I think these will be nominated.)

BackFire349
that sounds accurate, although i think black hawk down might be in there somewhere.

Thomas H
I agree, have you seen it yet Mr. backfire?? smile

Thomas H
When is the MTV movie awards???

BackFire349
no i havent seen it, but all the critics seem to think its the best movie ever or something, so i wouldnt be surprised if that gets nominated.

Thomas H
I have heard that, and that is nice music in my ears smile

mah
the critics are pretty mixed actually.

ToMacco
I doubt it Black Hawk Down will get nominated. Maybe for special effects, but not best picture.

But that wasn't really my question. What five movies do you all think will be nominated?

LanceWindu
I can't answer this one. I haven't been to any movies this year. I know I'm a loser.

Thomas H
finally you said something that make scence!!!!!!!! evil face

King Jedi
I think A.I will get nominated.

ToMacco
Well, the nominees are out.

Best Picture:
LORD OF THE RINGS
GOSFORD PARK
MOULIN ROUGE
IN THE BEDROOM
A BEAUTIFUL MIND

Nice participation by all of you giving me your Oscar predictions roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) .

I was one off in my best picture predictions (In the Bedroom instead of Monster's Ball)

Thomas H

Dim
Well, the list looks pretty good...the actor/actress seems a little boring though..no real suprises.

TeCk-IcE
I hope the norwegian film "elling" wil win.....a beautifull movie...
but i think amelie wil take it home

Thomas H
There will be two big surprises in this oscar!!!
that is: elling will win oscar, if so....i going to selebrate and get drunk.
And Ridley will win best director......
BHD will probably win best cinemagraphy and editing...Slavomir Itziak and Pietro Scalia are very good!!!!

ToMacco
You may be right about Scott winning best director, but I really doubt it. The only reason he would win, is because he didn't win last year for Gladiator (which won best picture, but lost directing to Traffic's Steven Soderbergh)

Although Gladiator sucked a fat one, usually Best Picture and Best Director are for the same picture. So Scott may get the honor this year. If they do give it to them, I will lose even more respect for the Acadamy.

The Oscar should go to Ron Howard. He has made many brilliant movies in the past, and he has finally been recognized for his latest materpiece.

Thomas H
Hopefully the judges dont give a flying f*** what movies they have made before!

Dim
I really really hope that Howard doesn't get it for Beautiful Mind..it was in no way his best work...OR the best directing of the year.

ToMacco
stick out tongue

Nonesense. The only movie that he's directed that's been better than this was Parenthood.

This was the first time he's ever been nominated for Best Director. He deserves to win, not just because he's long overdue, but because A Beautiful Mind is the best movie of the year.

Dim
You keep saying that but I don't think so..

ToMacco
Well, that's your problem then, Dimmy stick out tongue wink

King Jedi
Baz Luhrman should have been nominated for directing Moulin Rouge.

ToMacco
That movie sucks. stick out tongue

Dim
Your oppinion..it was one of my favorite this year.

ToMacco
It was the same thing as Shakespeare in Love.

BackFire349
monsters inc was the best of this year, or blow

Ushgarak
The same thing as Shakespeare in Love? Huh?

Dim
You can't even compare the two..

ToMacco
It is the same. He wrote the play as they were falling in love.

ToMacco
Then she dies all of a sudden at the end. Why? What the hell is that?

Dim
Because she has Tuberculois..which is explained in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

Ushgarak
He wrote the play as he was falling in love... that is SO broad!

When you consider all the storylines that Moulin Rogue- very deliberately- ripped off and you say it coped Shakespeare in Love... gee!

And if you don't know why she died you clearly didn't watch it properly.

Texas
Here's my predictions:
Best Picture: LOTR
Best Director: Ron Howard
Best Actor: Crowe
Best Actress: Spacek

ToMacco
It was stupid that she died. It had nothing to do with the movie. Why do filmakers think two people can only truely fall in love if one or both of them die. The idea is tired and boring. It's like Pay It Forward, why did he have to die at the end?

Dim
NO, it would have been stupid if she lived..because most people with TB die from it. (or atleast they did back then)

ToMacco
I don't know. I'm just sick of movies that rely on death being the only great drama, you know?

If you guys like Rouge, fine. I didn't really care for it. The common person isn't going to like it. We're all movie buffs, so we appreciate different films.

MR was very odd, it was fastly paced, and filled with 'friuty' characters. Then it broke into songs by the police and everything. I was watching it with a few people, and they wanted to turn it off because they thought it was so stupid.

It's not a movie for everyone, and even I didn't like it. So I don't reccomend it.

Ushgarak
Ok. I understand that Russel Crowe's disgraceful performance at the BAFTAs may have cost him his oscar. Favorutie is now Denzel Washington.

And the common person DID like Moulin Rouge, To. And as Moulin Rouge was mostly a tribute to the tragic love stories prevalent in both older cinema and from the time it portrayed, her death was essential. Whole thing would have been pointless otherwise.

BackFire349
i agree tommaco, to many movies glorify death and rely on it as an easy way to achieve drama.

ToMacco
Ush, everything you say isn't right. As far as everyone I've talked to didn't like the movie at all. It's not a movie that has a great commerical appeal, because most people don't like musicals.

And what did Russell Crowe do?

finti
I hope the Oscars get cancelled cause it is corrupted

Dim
Crowe had a hissy fit at one of the show producers because they cut his acceptance speech short.. I guess he actually had the guy up against the wall. Aparently he has a bit of a history of doing things like this.

Anyway, Moulin Rouge won best picture at the Producers Guild of America Awards and if it wins at the Director's Guild Awards it's going to look really bad that it didn't even get nominated. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Well, it doesn't greatly matter what people you have talked to say, To, but public feedback on the film was very positive.

Saying people 'don't like musicals' is rather meaningless as it is a dead genre in movies. That it was musical was a novelty thing for Moulin. But it wasn't done like a traditional musical nor was it aimed at a 'musical' audience, if such a thing existed any more.

ToMacco
I think Best Actor this year is COMPLETELY up for grabs.

The only one I can totally count out is Will Smith. He won't win.

And I don't think Sean Penn will win either, but he could, because he hasn't won yet, but has been nominated before.

I don't think Crowe will take it home, because I doubt the Acadamy already wants to do a back-to-back Oscar thing again. But I think he did the best job out of the five.

Wilkinson was awesome, could win; Oscars love the kind of performace he gave. I think "In The Bedroom" will take home Best Acress and Best Supporting Acress, so I wouldn't doubt the Best Actor.

I think Washington will win, though. I havn't seen Training Day, but a black actor hasn't won for years and years and years. Washington won Best Supporting Actor for "Glory" like 14 years ago. So I think he will take it home.

Texas
Yes, the buzz in Hollywood is that Crowe is not going to wrap his fingers around Oscar this year!
Up untill his little shanangan in London, he was a sure thing, but many in Hollywood were absolutely appalled at his actions and feel that nice, non producer choking Denzel finally deserves to take one home instead!
And now a new book has come out where Steve Nash's antisemetic views are cleary emphasised, and Jewish Hollywood is not happy.
I predict that the only Oscar A Beautiful Mind will win is for Jennifer Connaley, and she doesn't even deserve that one! Halle Berry does!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.