Who was Vader referring to in ANH?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthran
When Vader says "I feel a presence...a presence I have not felt since..."

Is he referring to Obi Wan, his former master, or Luke, his son?!

Also...how does Vader know that Luke is his son? Wasn't he hidden from him when Luke was born? HELP!

Ushgarak
He is feeling the presence of his old Master, as he later explains

At some undefined point between ANH and ESB, he learns the identity of Luke Skywalker. That he was with Obi-Wan and called Skywalker was probably the give away.

yerssot
it DID??

Kane_Starkiller
yeah, I pretty much go with all that. It's obi-wan that darth senses (although it's hard to get your head round the fact that it's an older annakin "hayden" skywalker, talking about the guy who trained him from being a podracing slave-kid)

Anyway, Fair point made about Darth knowing that Luke is his son. Okay, so the kid's called skywalker - which is the giveaway, and pressumably Annakin had a good idea he was getting a kid when he (again we pressume, because let's face it, smi skywalker seemingly didn't need anyone to get her pregnant with annakin) bedded padme.

I just wonder how George is going to tackle it. That is, do you think Annakin will get to see Luke at all, as a baby, or does he merely sense it through the force etc.

What do you think?

Ushgarak
Current indications are that vader has no idea he had kids. But difficult to be certain yet.

Welcome aboard, btw!

yerssot
well, if he doesn't know, he won't see Padme throughout the movie, OR she isn't pregnant at the moment OR she gets pregnant by someone else

Kane_Starkiller
come to think of it, what's that all about? Will there be any more exploration into who's annakin's father is??!! Or is it just another one of those star wars mysteries (in this case, presumably, a nod to the bible).

I think Smi Skywalker has a new bloke in AOTC tho', doesn't she?

And am I right in thinking Obi-Wan didn't have a dad either (that's one for the die-hards)?

Ushgarak
It's not actually a nod to the Bible; it's actually a Greco-Roman thing.

The Midi-Chlorian explanation stands; GL has stated it is so.

Errr... I would THINK Obi-Wan had a father!

yerssot
no! not the bible again!
Having no father hasn't got ANYTHING to do with the bible! That's book is just the main example for the christians around here.

We don't know ANYTHING about OB1 his parents, but I think having no father is only a thing for the Chosen One

LanceWindu
Yeah, otherwise Obi-Wan is the chosen one

darthran
We dont know squat about Obi Wans parents...we probably never will, really

As for the midichlorian thing...this should probably be a separate thread, but i HATE it...I mean, it takes away the magic and mystery of the force and replaces it with some scientific explanation...ugh *clenches fist*

And I wasnt thinking about when Vader tells Tarkin "Obi wan is here...and the force is with him." Hehe...slipped my mind...but the father question was good, right? smile

LanceWindu
I guess

finti
??????? just an example?????????????

yerssot
there are people who believe in Christ but don't believe in the bible

finti
and the other way around

LanceWindu
I don't know either. I just know people who believe iin the bible and Christ

yerssot
people believe in the old testament only don't believe in Christ and change the subject!

LanceWindu
Who else thinks that this should get back on to subject?

Everyone should know by now that Vader was refering to Obi-Wan.

Captain REX
Kane is right with his nod to the bible, or the Greco-Roman thingy. But let's get this back onto whatever we were talking about before.

LanceWindu
It's the whole Vader 'what was he saying' thing

Kane_Starkiller
I just wanted to add quickly, as it was mentioned earlier in this thread, a little something regarding the midi-chlorian thing.

Apparently, and i say this because I remember George himself mentioning it - it was either on the dvd, or in the "mythology of star wars" film - The force has always been to do with midi-chlorians (although I'm sure during the OT, the name midi-chlorian wasn't even close to being created yet) George just never got round to putting it in the Ot (yes, his reasoning was THAT lame)!!

So, I guess it's always been part of George's thinking, but never visualised on film for the fans/filmgoers.

I also remember him saying somewhere, that he made the force more spiritual in the OT, as it gave his galaxiy a kind of mysticsm, like, the presence of a higher being - something that every religion can relate to (not just christianity).

He obviously took ep1 as a chance to explain further what the force is - personally I don't feel that it needed to be explained any further. The force as an unexplained presence works just fine for me!

LanceWindu
Same for me, but it does help those fans who reallly want to know more about the Force, what it affects, etc.

Ushgarak
The MC debate has been done to death before; if you REALLY want it opened up again so we can say the same things again, please open a new thread.

LanceWindu
If Kane want's to he can, I'm not gonna do it cause I made my point

Kane_Starkiller
nah, that's cool. I've made my point!

TFN fan's will have seen this already, but I'd like to strongly suggest visiting this german monopoly link, for AOTC related news:
http://www.darth-sonic.de/NewsSystem/one_news.asp?IDNews=1158

LanceWindu
That link belongs in the EU thread. Plus we already have that news there.

yerssot
why are there so many TF.N supporters here?

finti
are there TFN supporters here mad we need a rebellion !!!!!

yerssot
what? to kick them out or to get them as admin?

LanceWindu
I'm a TF.N supporter, I'm also a supporter of Episode-II.co.uk and all the other good ones.

Julie
I visit TF.N sometimes, but I wouldn't say I supported them.....most of the site are decent.

ryamathart
DARTH vader would know that it was his son through the force. I think theres some sort of direct link through family with the force. but someone especially as force sensesitive as he is wouldnt take that long to figure out who luke really is. and if luke had been trained as a jedi from birth he probably would of figured it out upon entering the death star.

Amidala
Luke became a rallying point for the rebellion after the battle of Yavin. his fame was wide spread, the sith just somehow came across the info i believe. it may be in a splinter in the minds eye but i cant remember. going way back, vader reacts strangely to ob1 being there because he remembers the lava pit. a presence i have not felt since........run away. it is a pained reaction.

Thread Nazis aside - why would Ob1 let luke use the name skywalker, i mean you are trying to hide out right, why not just paint a sign on your head.

yerssot
EU, thank you very much

Fan speculation, thank you very much

Amidala
No worries. cool

yerssot
about that last one,...
If read something interesting in the Star Wars encyclopedia from 1998...
You search a word and the explanation is split in cannon and non-cannon, and in the cannon section of Darth Vader stood that he DID fell in lava

DarthKris

yerssot
for that damn-fool idealistic crusade...

the explanation was given in Splinter of the Minds Eye, wich is not cannon, wich is not even EU big grin

But the idea is pretty basic:
Luke got fame of his action and since he too was a Skywalker from Tatooine... go figure, good age, good haircolor (if that's a good one) etc.

DarthKris

Ushgarak
She doesn't SAY her mother died of grief; that is something that has been assumed (and barring any evidence, it is what I think as well).

queeq
Me too. Leia's words only SUGGEST that.

yerssot
"She died when I was very little" that's all

How would you know if Bail Organa got married?

SoulFly
Darth Vader never knew he was a Father of twins but somehow always knew he had a son.At the time of his transformation from anakin to Vader,Obi won hid Leia on Alderaan.So Vader never suspected he had a daughter.

yerssot
Contradiction

SoulFly
How? When Vader and Luke were in their duel and Lukje was hideing in fear he betrayed his own thoughts because he was thinking of Leia and Vadert then knew about her.

yerssot
no no,
you said he doesn't know he's a father, but then you say he always knew he had a son...

That's impossible because if he knew he had a son, he knows his the father

Ushgarak
He said that Vader didn't know he had TWINS, yerss, not that he didn't know he was a father at all. No contradiction.

yerssot
roll eyes (sarcastic)

well, still crappy stick out tongue
If he knows he has a son, why not know he has a daughter?

Ushgarak
Why should he?

yerssot
because they came out on the same day?

finti
give it up Yers. I think why Vader couldnt detect Leia in epIV is that she didnt know she had the force and this made Vader unable to recognise her as force strong. Luke is aware of the force after a few lesson from Obi-Wan, and Vader says the force is strong with this one in the battle at DS. Mainly cause Luke started to use the force there after Obi asked him too.

yerssot
it's stupid that he all of a sudden knows he has a son, and that he doesn't know he has a daughter.
The explanation will be between ANH and ESB

DarthKris
do you think we might get an explanation during ep3?
I really want to know what's goin to happen, cause somebody told gl is goin to rewrite the old trilogy to make it fit.
there're some many things that just don't fit!
I mean, why should anakin leave his wife?
as far as I know he really loves her, so why should he leave her?
and I'm missing a last word about her in ep6.
I know that I'm missing the topic, but it's something that really occupies me.
to the topic: yeah, that's a problem, if vader could locate luke, why not leia?
maybe you have to search in a person to read the power or so.
He could find Luke cause of his aura, he had already begin the training, while leia didn't know of her abilities...

yerssot
he didn't know about the two of them, and the rebels made a lot of propaganda after ANH, that a pilot called Luke Skywalker destroyed the planet...

GL won't rewrite it, I'm sure

Kris, Anakin left Padme to follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic cruisade - ANH

Ushgarak
It always troubles me when people quote that literally. It's almost as if they are expecting Obi-Wan to come to Anakin and say "Hey- I have a damn fool idealistic crusade for you tro go on!"

DarthKris

yerssot
Ush, ofcourse he's not going to say that, it's quite clear OB1 tells Luke what Owen thinks of it all

Ushgarak
Yes yerss... but it's the way people say it... it seems wrong.

yerssot
laughing out loud you sound like a mother now, Ush

Ushgarak
Uh... ok...

Gundark
In ROTJ, Vader says..."Your feelings for them are strong...especially for SISTER. So you have a twin sister."

He didn't mention Leia by name. And when they were in the docking baby and Vader was dying, he said "tell your sister you were right about me". Still no mention of Leia.

Did he really know specifically that Leia was the sister ? I don't think so.

*hands Ush a tissue* It's canon people, not cannon ! Thats something they shoot you out of at the circus !!!!

yerssot
Did I made him cry? woooohoooo!

DarthKris
come on, folks!
I guess that Anakin can recognize his own daughter!
Maybe it was meant to emphazise something...
If he had said leia, that would have sound out of place somehow.
that whole scene was so heartbreakin and to me the name Leia has a harsh ring... dunno, but that's my impression.
The last moment he will realise who "luke's sister" is, that would be on endor when she is actually embracing luke and bringing him to the celebration.

yerssot
Considering he doesn't know that he HAD a daughter and didn't even knew it in ANH where he was standing one feet away from her...
yes... you are right ...

DarthKris

yerssot
in the beginning of ANH... Vader with
"You are part of the rebelalliance and a traitor!"
that's pretty close

DarthKris
no, I mean later in that room with that general (?) played by peter cushing, when they are destroying alderaa.

yerssot
yes I know, but you're comment was that Vader didn't recognise her and I gave a new example of when he should have known

DarthKris

yerssot
why taking Chuwie with him? And 3PO? (don't start on the "it's his droid" talk)
Technically, it could be that he wanted Leia to come to throw her in jail because afterall she is a big shot in the rebellion

DarthKris
I mean that scene right after han's freeze show.
Vader orders to bring Leia and the Wookie to his ship.
Yeah, never know, maybe he did so cause he wanted to emprison her...
however, how can somebody change one's opinion bout something three times in less than a day?
I'm referring to Vader, at first, he tells Lando that Leia can do what she wants after Han is taken, then she has to stay on Bespin, then she has to come with him...
If ever somebody would understand that man, I'd give him the nobel prize.

yerssot
perhaps he lied from the first time already

DarthKris
of course he did...
why...???
afraid lando would not cooperate?

how's your duel with vader goin?
still have your own hand or has it been cut off? evil face

yerssot
no, just lying so Lando would agree

Emperor Helmet
absolutely

DarthKris
makes no sense in my head... eek!

yerssot
welcome to my world,
yerssot

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.