The Passion of Christ

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Force
is anybody going to see this, from what i've seen from the preview's it look like a pretty good movie yes

Tired Hiker
I don't know. I used to hate Church, so I don't think I'll go see it. I'll probably just watch the HULK instead.

The Force
well it's your loss

Tired Hiker
I heard that it totally tries to rip off the Matrix!

steely balls
^what are you joking? shouldn't be the other way around, didn't the matrix rip off the bible.

RonyLeBeau
laughing out loud

i wanna see it.... all the controversy about it makes it sound like it will be a tasty movie.

hmm never thought i would ever say that about a religious movie before.. confused roll eyes (sarcastic)

shifty

amlap
man i ****ing hate religion and i prob only step into a church five times in my life...but im seeing this ****ing movie. mel gibson, i dont care what you think, is a ****ing genius. im jsut really pissed off at all the crap the press is giving him crap about his belief of the holocaust! actaully i jsut picked up the weekly news mag! im def excited

nemo
have anyone seen it? how is it?
i guess all those controvercy created by the jewish community about it being discriminating is going to backfire on them.
i wouldn't have spent two hours watching it even if it were given to me, but now with all the controvercies, i'm wondering if it's as discrimnating as they make it sounds or not, and might even spend money to watch it. does anyone feels the same way?

botankus

amlap
i truly dotn see myslef as an atheist but you did hit the nail on the coffin.
plus im a huge James Caviezel fan so even better.

and i heard its spoken in latin!?

TruthMedia
ya. the movie is spoken in Latin, Aramaic, and Hebrew. there are subtitles though, so no worries.

my friend saw it already. she said it was brilliant - super graphic, but totally brilliant. she said, "it is how it was". the way that mel depicts the events is the closest and the most honest portrayal of the crucifiction of the christ.

amlap
haha but what i hear from news weekly is that the jews are outraged with this movie because gibson hints that jews were to blame for the death of christ.

im thinking im gonna see it with one of that waitress at my work and her church group. (they are reserving the theatre)

beaujay1
ill definitely see it. I think the Pope saw it and he said that, "It is as it was." i think it will be very powerful. I cannot stand how people think its innapropriate to let a movie like that open in theaters. Just because you don't believe in Christ doesn't mean that you should comment on how terrible it is. what if someone did that to a movie based on your religion? It makes me feel angered and i plan on seeing it. Thank you for doing this Mel Brooks.

ash007
i am not sure it has alot of blood in te movie which i dont like

The Force
it was the jews who had jesus put up on the cross, they voted for it, but the romans had to see to it

amlap
well depending on yourbeliefs you would prob view this movie differently than most... all that i know is that the Jewish are pissed off!

and they are saying that this movie is quite graphic and bloody, but it this way for the impact of what he went through.

JKozzy
It looks great, Mel Gibson made it so I'm definetly going to see it. Great man; hopefully will be able to get in big grin

Kes
Mel Brooks?!blink

The One Himself
laughing

But to stay on topic, Mel Gibson's The Passion is raising the ire of a lot of people, most of whom are accusing Gibson and the film of being anti-semitic....I dunno..let's wait and see...

The Force
it's the first hardcore christian movie eek!*runs around in disbelief*

Kes
The 1st?!blink

SaTsuJiN
:: Joins Kes in disbelief :: blink blink

The Force
well the first rated R Christian movie, sorry i should have explained it better big grin

amlap
hey the pope liked it so its got to be good! angel

its kind of funny that mel gibson is a born again christian, jsut look at the lethel weapon serie. hahah but a good man he is!

mook

botankus
While it may be the first "hardcore" R-rated Christian movie in terms of graphic violence, it is not the first R-rated Christian movie.

The Last Temptation of Christ is an R-rated Christian-related movie, though it was not endorsed by Christians as a whole.

Or maybe you mean 1st R-rated pro-Christian??

The Force
actually i meant it was the first R rated Christian movie that i had heard of.

TruthMedia

mook
TruthMedia>a biblical fact.

isnt that a contradiction in terms?

TruthMedia
my name aside, i still think those are pretty good points. what do you think mook?

mook
i wasnt talking about your name i was talking about the concept of the bible being fact...

but yes you make some good points.

The Force
well i know for a fact that this is biblical fact, but if you do not believe that the Bible is true, then that's just what you believe, it doesn't affect if it is true or not, but since i am a Christian I find it to be true thumb up

mook
i respect that but you cant say anything in the bible is 'fact' as religion relies on faith - believing something because of what you feel not by any proof.
if it was fact then everyone would be christian as the bible would be a factual document.

botankus
If that were true then everybody would be patriotic because of the constitution but we know that isn't the case.

mook
your constitution is irrelevant to a discussion on the validity of a holy text.

botankus

mook
not really - im saying that the bible can never be true 'fact'.

this is why people have to have faith to believe it.

sandman26
the reason its rated R is because of all the realism in it of violence towards christians lots of fighting i believe

The Force
then only reason ppl have faith that the Bible is true is because God talks to us (Christians), and we can talk to him. It's the truth, i've done it. I can tell you about experiences if you would like to know

Kes
Ppl dont turn this into a religious thread. That topic is not allowed.
Lets stick to the movie.

botankus
It is rated R because of the graphic violence in it, whether it be to Christians or whomever. And the theme, too.

Vader
A movie about Christ released near a political election. GEEE I wonder who is this going to help.........

LeAtHerRFace
Mel Gibson!

kalantiaw
too much attetion on this movie right now. the jewish community is being over sensitive and the vatican are being wussies. the jewish community needs to lighten up. it's a movie. people will see it as they will. the vatican need to make a solid statement, even if it is only to say "yeah, the movie was okay".

bottom line: it is only a movie. a good one, in my own opinion... as far as i can tell. people need to unclench.

mook
EDIT

KharmaDog
Putting aside the belief in religion or not. The events depicted in this movie did occur. The events were recorded by roman soldiers and record keepers, by jewish historians, and of coarse christians. So it did happen, whether you want to believe Jesus was the messiah is personal choice.

I am a big history buff and I look forward to the honest (and unfortunately brutal) depiction of how the last 12 hours of Christ's life might have played out. I am sick of "candy-coated representaions of religious figures.

And as for the whole jewish backlash, yes it was the romans who nailed him on the cross, yes the jews sold out christ, and yes chrst's followers (which would make them the first christians) sold out JC too. So everyone had a part in it.

Shut up, watch the movie, and learn something.

The Force
EDIT

mook
EDIT

Punker69
Does anyone think it will be bloodier than KILL BILL?

mook
probably - and will be presented realistically so will have more emotional impact that kill bill.

Kes
I dont know if ppl noticed but I said NO MORE RELIGIOUS TALK! Stick to the movie.

Kill Bill wasnt very realistic, blood wise of course.

The Force
EDIT

The Force
sorry kes, i was just splain'n

Punker69
HE KNOWS KES HES SORRY!

smile j/k

The Force
alright no more religious talk at all, just movie talk

amlap
so what is this movie about... confused ?

KidRock
EDIT

Punker69
I dont get it why does everybody always get so upset when talking about religion in this forum?I mean its not a bad thing and people shouldnt be offended about what someone says about their religion on the internet.I dont mean to get mad at anybody in here.Im just saying talking about religion isnt always a bad thing.But I wont talk about it anymore Im just sayin. smile

The Force
the crucixifiction of Jesus Christ, and that's all i know cuz it's not out yet

mook
i think its the last 12 hours of jesus' life...

botankus
EDIT

Kes
The problem is it always turns into arguments. And its against the rules.

Cinemaddiction
It's a movie about Jesus Christ, that's kind of like saying don't talk about dismemberment or gore in a Freddy vs Jason thread.

Maybe you should just band any talk about this movie?

Kes
You can talk about the movie, just not the religious conversations that were going on.

botankus
I guess we could discuss the cinematography.

wink

amlap
how bout James Caviezel and how he got his ass wiped and scarred when taking the lashings?

Captain REX
He got whipped yes, that must have been painful.

Kes
Trivia property of imdb.com
During the scourging scene, James Caviezel accidentally got whipped twice. The first time knocked the wind out of him, and the second time hurt so much it caused him wrench his hand quickly from his shackles, scraping his wrist badly.

Kes
Trivia property of imdb.com

In an interview with Newsweek magazine, James Caviezel spoke about a few of the difficulties he experienced while filming. This included being accidentally whipped twice, which has left a 14 inch scar on his back. Caviezel also admitted he was struck by lightning while filming the Sermon on the Mount and during the crucifixion, experienced hypothermia during the dead of winter in Italy.

James Caviezel experienced a shoulder separation when the 150lb cross dropped on his shoulder. The scene is still in the movie.

amlap
that man is my new idol

Cinemaddiction
They keep that in the movie, cuz I'm curious what brand toilet paper he used back in the day. laughing

I have yet to comment on this movie, so alls I am saying is that I am looking forward to seeing it on opening day hopefully.

Stewie is God
the movie is gonna be friken great.....im even more exited to see it b/c the church doesnt want you too, and i hate going to chuch and resent being catholic and getting all those damn sacrements!!!! heheh wow i have issuses

The Force
i heard about that two, well atleast he did it for a good cause

mook
mel gibsons retirement fund...?

hobbit_lover
I really wanna see it!! I'm very religious so ya I wanna see it looks great and who ever said it ripped off the Matrix is a dumbass!

The Force
no, the good cause was telling ppl what Jesus did for all of us

shadow link
im a very strong christian and am very happy about this movie and hope it will change the many but i will not go and see it coz i think its a bit above wat i can handle, all the grahpic violence so yeah, its like ma (R)

mook
i think everyone knows the story anyway - its not gonna change anyones views.

also, i saw an article in the paper about how you can buy replica cross nails as souvenirs/merchandise of the film !

botankus
At the official website there is a "Merchandise" section with those and other stuff, including coffee cups.

mook
kind of undermines the "bringing the message to the people thing doesnt it - replica nails!

The Force
how do you know, things like that have changed ppl's view

Fire
well haven't seen it, prolly aint gonna see it either... lame ass story

finti
I rather think it has a good plot

The Force
cuz it's from the Bible yes

The Force
roll eyes (sarcastic) your just jealous stick out tongue j/k

sauron
yes...everyone is jealous of dying horribly...confused stick out tongue

actually i dont see what the prob with it is?

its got jesus bleeding..being attacked....

well you would bleed if you got a spear through your side! and nails through your hands...thorns on your head!

so people cant stand to watch jesus bleed

but its ok when hundreds of people get killed in the latest

rambo 5 kill everything in sight! puppies=50 points

The Force
were you trying to make a point confused

ravin
some reports of the movie passion state that the movie is only of the last twleve hours of Christ's life...

what is their problem? the movie isn't 3 hours long?/;(

no, don't know, can't say? to difficult for them to figure out?

maybe, mel wanted to keep to a certian focus in order to find the path he is looking for?!?

those concepts are hard for the press to figure out...how is that mel's fault?

yerssot
moving to movies... not moved

FireTiger
because when in doubt, blame the head hancho..

Shoukan
ha you can't move itstick out tongue

j/k

yerssot
you try it than stick out tongue

Shoukan
I do not have mod powers...sillystick out tongue

yerssot
that's me already big grin

Shoukan
yeah you are silly...keep it up yerssot--I love to laughbig grin

FireTiger
okay we know it is getting moved, but lets not fight kids...*whips out mom glasses*

Ushgarak
Moving and merging

mook
i dont know.

thats why i said "i think..."

this indicates it is my opinion and not fact.

The Force
sorry

ravin
when oreilly stated "when i seen the movie"...

i immediately thought "yes, with every scence mel called oreilly for approval"...let's put it this way..oreilly doesn't get in my way...

i deleted all my email addresses to fox...they have knives in my back and guns to my head...

anyway...the david ansen guy...yeh, well....what does he know anyway?

here's david's quote "has little opportunity to show the messiah's spirtiual charisma: the jesus' most noteworthy trait is his ability to absorb pain"...i did not write that...the david guy did...

1st, they all have mental disorders of manic depression of insecurites unfullfilled by having to be better than everyone else....???yes, no don't know? can't say? to difficult to figure out?

2nd i will reserve comment at this time....

one other thing...david goes on to write "from these pop passion plays to the Passion itself is a logical progression: it gives rise to the suspicion that on some unconscious level "the Passion of the Christ" is, for Gibson, autobiography."

(that would "an" autobiography...i guess in his grandness he forgot how to spell check...this wasn't a letter to friend it was his "work" if you can call it that...so i expect it to be done properly)

what does david know about logic...if a company is being bought and the goodwill is 600 million dollars...up from 300 million dollars...does david know whether that is a good thing???

i will get a programmer analogy for him later...take care

Kes
I'm trying to figure out the point of your post and I just cant get it blink

finti
it is a bit unclear

julibug
Yeah, I finally decided to visit this thread, and I can't understand ravin's posts at all. blink

I'm probably going to see the movie, but I'm not sure that I can say I'm looking forward to it. *looks for box of tissues to take*

The Force
me either huh

Walter Simard

God_is_the_way_
I will hopefully see it! I would LOVE to see about Christ*s life!!!!!

God_is_the_way_
Hey! Well I really wanna go see this movie! I always love hearing about God!

The Force
looks like we got an exstatic christian smile

SaTsuJiN
I agree, its nice that someone took a chance and made a powerful film about christ. I mean if we can watch orcs fighting with humans, or mutants using thier superpowers to save humanity, we should also be able to appreciate some biblical stuff. Seeing how this movie is supposed to provide a very real view of what happened.

julibug
I saw his interview with O'Reilly tonight. Interesing. Hey, did you guys know this movie is only a hour long?

The Force
that's it? huh

finti
nothing more than two fairy tales going from book to scren

botankus
Geez. I wouldn't believe that if 100 TV shows and websites told me that. Maybe you're talking about the PAX special; at least I would hope so.

Try 126 minutes.

julibug
Oh, ok. I think my husband misunderstood what he heard. smile Of course, I should have consulted www.imdb.com before I posted that!

The Omega
Finti> Three fairy tales going from book to screen. yes

julibug
I'm curious how something (at least somewhat) historically documented - i.e. the existence of a man named Jesus who was killed via crucifixion - is a fairy tale. I realize that the issue of deity and all that would be considered unprovable, but the actual events apparently took place. I am not intending to validate religion with this post, but merely to advise that the existence of this person whom the movie depicts is most likely true, and that there was controversy surrounding him which eventually led to his crucifixion. Disgregarding the debate over deity, at least a portion of the movie could be based on historical fact, could it not?

http://www.sonic.net/sentinel/naij3.html

(link discusses historical records, archeology, among other things)

JKozzy
Anyone see this movie yet? Reviews plz smile

botankus
I would start looking for them to be popping up at any time today in the Movie Reviews forum.

The Force
no

Jesus's cruxifiction was real

The Force
i'm gonna go see it soon, but here the passion has sold out in like all the movie theaters mad

Kes
A lot of ppl were crucified.

SaTsuJiN
Heh, its really tasteless of you (those coming into a christ thread and calling it a fairy tale) to mock someones religion like that, I think if you dont believe in it, its your decision. However you should have some kind of respect for peoples beliefs, because religion bashing is just not funny whatsoever. Im not just saying that for christianity, but also for the other religions out there. If have any kind of decency, you should already know not to cross that line.

As for the film, hmmm I think I'll wait a week before going to see it, cuz I really hate crowded theatres... cuz I remember opening night for matrix revolutions. people were yelling and making jokes during the movie, and I didnt pay for an IMAX ticket to hear someone elses big mouth.

julibug
This is true, but it doesn't mean he wasn't one of them. Again, no religious implications - only acknowledging that he may really have existed in some sense as portrayed in the movie. Not discussing deity here - just history. The link I posted is pretty good.

I will probably see it within the next week. I'll let ya'll know when I do. smile

botankus
I would say the average age difference between POTC and The Matrix is going to be about 15 years. Teeny-boppers and people in their 20's saw The Matrix and that explains that. POTC is going to have a lot of people age 30 and much older and therefore much more mature.
Unless you live in a town full of idiots then the rest of the audience is not going to stand for people yelling and making jokes during POTC.

BackFire
People are going to be throwing crosses at the screen and yelling "hail Christ" at the Passion.

botankus
LOL @ that one

julibug
I seriously doubt it. In fact, that was a very insulting remark.

SaTsuJiN
I went to go see it in new york... try telling the 50+ people that were talking to shut up in a circumstance like that. They'll keep talking regardless... some of them were even throwing popcorn

finti
maybe a man named Jesus was crusified, but thats all that is real about it. Its gonna be interesting to see it though, wonder if some religious fanatics are gonna protest here in Norway. Guess they are, gonna be fun confronting them

Cinemaddiction
Tasteless.

Oh yeah, if we're doing this little abbreviation deal, just called "Passion of the Christ", "Passion". "POTC" is widely used for "Pirates of the Carribean".

The Force
that's not funny, that's insulting but that's pretty much the same thing the ppl did to Jesus when he was on the cross

BackFire
heh, I still got it.

The Force
stick out tongue

Punker69
has anybody seen it yet?

Pirate_Girly
Jews are all flaring up about not putting this movie out on the big screen, its making me mad, of course its STILL going to be put into theaters, but cmon..its a movie..You believe what YOU want to believe..and I/everyone else will believe what we want to, and even if this movie sounds offensive to ppl who dont believe in the story of christ this way, it cant change your beliefs, but Im going to see it definatly, its gonna be great.

julibug
So far I've only heard two negative reviews out of about 20 people they've interviewed on tv coming out of the theater. I'm still not sure when we are going.

BackFire
The only complaint that seems valid is that there is an excesive amount of gore. But this will be no problem for me.

The Unknown
If anyone does see it, don't post what happens so you won't ruin the ending for everyone.

julibug
Yes, I know, and I don't know if you remember some of my posts in the horror forum, BF, but I'm not big on gore. I'll probably be looking away from the screen more than at it. sad I still feel that the movie is important enough concerning my beliefs that I will go see it.

The Force
laughing out loud we already now the ending, just go read a Bible, it's not like it's fantasy

BackFire
Some people think it is.

Cinemaddiction
Point being, it can't be spoiled.

Anyone catch this?

BackFire
Interesting... Doubt it had to do witht he film very much, probably just a coincedence.

iluvorlando
I'm acutally scared to see this movie, b/c its more then a movie, its a moving experience. To see what really happened in all its reality isn't something to be taken lightly. Everybody who sees this movie either leaves bawling or it utter silence. Its just such a breathe taking thing to see a movie that is completely real, and to witness the reality of a sacrifice that was made for you.

finti
never let movies affect me much

SaTsuJiN
actually, I'd be scared to go to the theatre, cuz I mean some people love religion.. and then there are the people who are overly fanatic. like the crazies who rip thier clothes off and go running down the boulevard. I might just wait for it to come out on dvd O_x

I'd rather just wait like 2 weeks til the theatres arent so crowded with 'enthusiasm' hee hee laughing out loud

Punker69
If anybody wants to know the ending read the bible

botankus
I have seen "The Passion," and after seeing it I feel "Pirates of the Carribean" resembles the Teletubbies in comparison and therefore its abbreviation is officially revoked.

The Force
There is no such thing as coincidence, that happened for a purpose, i don't really know why yet.

The Force
this won't be just another movie, just ask the ppl that saw it

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>