How well will AOTC do in the box office??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthran
I am the kind of guy who wants to see his favorite movies kick major a** at the box office, but I fear AOTC will not do half as well as TPM...I mean, alot of people didn't think TPM lived up to all it should have, and tis may cloud their will to see AOTC.

IS ANYONE EXCITED ABOUT THIS MOVIE EXCEPT US DIEHARD FANS?!

Personally, I think it will do around 275 million in the box office,maybe less...while this souds like a lot, remember that TPM made well over 400 million...

The release of AOTC may be a day long...forgotten?

ON THE OTHER HAND...If AOTC is as great as its supposed to be, word of mouth could save it...And especially if the critics like it, because that hurt TPM (VERY mixed reviews.)

What to you guys think about this issue?

master harmax
The whole Star Wars thing has become pretty legendary in movie lore. Many critics and fans did not like TPM, and maybe they were right in a way ... something WAS missing in terms of the vibe of the OT - still I liked the movie a lot, and I think that while it's faults have been talked about a lot, it's plusses have been taken rather for granted -

So basically, the series having achieved what it has in terms of worldwide recognition, AND box office success ( including TPM ), I think it's reached a point where, right now, it is really not so important to Lucas how much money the remaining two movies make. Because, now we've reached the most delicate, important and best part of the story - the rise and fall of Anakin -
and I think it's more important to Lucas right now that he tells this part of the story EXACTLY as he meant it to be told - and not HOW he has to tell it so that the movie makes a killing at the box office.

So I think that AOTC and Ep.3 in a way will be MEANT primarily for
the people who are into the nitty-gritty of the saga - not because they will be made purposely that way, but because the very nature of the narrative that will be told in these movies can be appreciated in it's depth only be people who are really into Star Wars, i.e. guys like us.

So, who cares really if it becomes a big hit or not ? Or whether the critics slam it or not ? I believe that unless the guy whose commenting on this and the next movie is really deeply into the whole Star Wars thing , he won't really get it, so to speak; and so he wouldn't be qualified to judge; basically I think it's people like us, who are in a best position to judge the next two movies.

It's more important that the next two movies capture the feel and essence of the narrative as well as possible, even if, in the process, they make comparitively less money.

yerssot
well, if we all going to see it more than once it should be ok wink

master harmax
totally - well put.

yerssot
I know cool

LanceWindu
I'm going to go see it 3 times before it's out of theaters, then I am going to buy the movie. Then I will buy the DVD when it comes out. You know the DVD will have behind the scenes of Episode III. Can't wait.

darthran
Yes, TPM was missing that "special" feeling (I still loved it to death, though) , and lets hope that AOTC recaptures that classic feeling we all remember. I felt it was missing a Han Solo type characte, but that can be a whole new thread.. =)

But, TPM also had a lot of things the OT didnt, like Haramax said - - for exaple, the excellent 3 way duel at the film's end. Could be another thread...

But, sticking to this thread, I also feel that Lucas should make the movie based on his vision rather than money. But will he? Look at TPM...Jar Jar anyone?

Hopefully, lessons ahave been learned, and I think they have.

I'd still love to see AOTC make a killing at the box office, though! Wouldn't you guys?

darthran
Also...how much do you guys think it will make? And don't say it doesn't matter, I just wanna see what you guys think...Again, I think around 250-275 mil.

LanceWindu
No I saw more than that. Even though TPM was bad according to some fans doesn't mean they won't watch the next movie in the saga. They are loyal and want to see this thing out til the end. It will make close to TPM.

Kane_Starkiller
AOTC doesn't have the same kind of buzz that TPM had, and let's face it you can understand why. With TPM we hadn't seen star wars in 16 years, and at that point the star wars saga was very much a thing of high praise.

This time round, we all saw star wars a couple of years ago, most people didn't like it, and critics were very hit and miss. you can understand why there wouldn't be the same kind of anticipation.

Will it do well at the box office? in a word, yes. It will. Wait until the next trailer comes out - the merchandise kicks in - the books, the toys etc. By the time the film is due to be released, the hype will have been rekindled, if the film's worth it's wait, critics will hopefully be giving it a possitive vibe, and good or bad, people will see it because it's STAR WARS.

Whether it will do as well as TPM is debatable. the only real rival is, of course, SpiderMan, and I would say that one will have a week of glory, and then spend many glorious weeks at the number 2 spot, sitting comfortably behind Annakin's Rage and Yoda's saber.

LanceWindu
Another thing that may get more butts in those theater seats is the fact that this time around it's a love story preluding the battle. Maybe some more women will come see it. Another reason why girls will want to see it is because they all think that Hayden is cute. Will it be a cheap rise in ticket sales? Some say yes. I say whatever gets Lucas more money for Episode 3.

yerssot
Well, wasn't the same question asked about TPM? It did well, altough it had a lot of critic

LanceWindu
And this time around people are antisipating the prequel sequel. They want to see what happens after TPM.

yerssot
People will still see it all, doesn't matter, just the FX and the fighting

LanceWindu
The fighting is always the best part.

yerssot
you hard person!
but you're right wink

LanceWindu
See I know my movies and what most people think is the best part.

yerssot
wich movie? star trek?

LanceWindu
No way! Action films not T.V shows made into movies that I personally think sucked.

yerssot
Star Trek rulez cool

Beam me up Scotty!

mah
yes, please beam him up stick out tongue

LanceWindu
Take him to the Borg collective so he can be with his own kind.

yerssot
You mean there are more dimwits like me? eek!

LanceWindu
Most definatley.

yerssot
you're all doomed!

mah
that's why we have to beam you away!

LanceWindu
Beat him up Scotty.

j/k

yerssot
Wesa shall beem me away big grin

master harmax
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ....

ToMacco
Star Trek sucks.

As far as Attack of the Clones in the box office, it will probably make half of what The Phantom Menace did. Everyone had to see TPM, just to see what the hype was about. I know people who have seen the OT, then TPM, and didn't make the connection that Anakin was Vader.

I don't think "Clones" will be seen only by 'Die Hard' fans, but it won't draw attention like Episode I did.

master harmax
who cares - i mean, so long as it's a kick ass star wars movie ( which i think it will be ).

Thomas H
Relax!!!
Star Wars will open in the memorial weekend!!
Probably on 3100+ cinemas.
On the four day weekend it will probably open with a great 80-90 million dollars.
If the critics also give the movie good critisc then the movie will earn a good deal of mony, even if the critics sucks it will earn a lot of money!!
I bet that it will end om something around 380-430 million dollars domestic, and about 600 million on the international b.o!!!

yerssot
Thomas, that's in Norway...
In England and in the US the premiere will be on a Thursday, think about that

Thomas H
Sorry, thats right.
Let me correct my predictions!
Opening day: $18,000,000
Friday: $19,000,000
Saturday: $21,000,000
Sunday: $ 19,700,000
=$59,700,000

And it will still gross what I have wrote down over !!!!!!!

Julie
AotC will hold its own.....those who don't see it will be the ones missing out.!!!!!!!!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.