South Koreans clone embryo's to harvest Stemcells

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fire
any thoughts anyone?

what is so special about this is that they succesfully harvested the Stemcells (atleast according to the belgian news)

The Omega

Syren
As always there are two huge reactions to this, on the one hand ppl think it's amazing that we now have the technology etc to be able to do this, and so many think we should, in order to save lives in the long run, but then on the other hand there are also a hell of a lot of ppl who believe we are messing with things, the hand of God etc.

I personally am leaning towards the fact that, in the long run, it would be beneficial to the human race as a whole. We have come so damn far in our knowledge of how we actually work, and if, in order to save more lives and cure what at the moment are terminal illnesses, we need to do things such as cloning, I say why not?? The search for knowledge has always been number one priority for our race, and I think it's fantastic how far we have actually come. If I had a child that could only be saved by the cloning and transfer of tissue or organs, I know what I'd agree with then...........

Gundark
If they DO decide to clone a human, they're sure not going to tell anybody what they're up to. It will all be behind closed doors.

silver_tears
I think death is a natural part, everyone dies sooner or later, it's what is supposed to happen, what are they gonna do next discover the cure for aging so that the world is over run forever.

However, I have to say that if a loved one was going through this I don't know what I would do, to be totally honest, I would probably want the technology to help them survive, but believing in God, I believe he takes everyone for a reason, so I don't know exactly what choice I would make erm

And I agree with gundy, it would totally be hush hush until they have it perfected and tested.
I mean what if the clone goes horrible, what would they do then, if it is created with defects and such, would they kill it messed

Syren
I don't think that those are things we should be worrying about right now Sil, I personally have complete faith in the technological side of it. The thing is, I am an Atheist, so it is perhaps easier for me to go along with the Scientific side......

silver_tears
My science teacher is also my Religion teacher, so he has taught us that that both those subjects go hand in hand.

I definately believe in God, and I am very impressed by the technology humans have created so far, but when are we gonna go to far?!?!

I mean after this what's next, raising people from the dead messed

Trinity_Matrix
I believe a lot in science (and pretty much not at all in religion), and think that this is an awesome achievement. Because of this a lot of people who would die because they need an organ transfer but there are no matching donors will be able to live.

(and I bet anything we'll have a discussion about this today in AP Biology...)

silver_tears
I believe in both, and even though this is a great achievement for the world of Science smart
How far is to far you know erm

(useless info I am majoring in science at Uni, so I'm not bashing technology here)

Syren
TM, I agree with you, but Sil, I understand that there has got to be a limit. But maybe we should see how much good this can do before we start jumping to the conclusion that the Scientists are trying to become God, because I really do think this is all for the benefit of the human race. It is scary though, quite daunting.

Trinity_Matrix
I'd say too far is actually cloning humans...even though they'd never tell us until they've actually done it.

(you are? that's awesome! I love science, but I'm planning on majoring in art yes )

silver_tears
Yes cloning humans I think is too far, specially if they are for the tasks of being maids or whatever around your house messed

Now, I also am not saying it's playing God, I just think it may be going a little too far, but then again if I had someone close to me then I would in all honesty probably praise this, who really knows.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.