Father of Medicine?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i love biology, chemistry, anatomy etc etc...

well today in english AP class my teacher was discussing about the "Father of Medicine" Hippocrates. I raised my hand up and said "How is he the father of medicine when Imhotep (from Egypt) came waaaay before him and etc etc"

? i might be wrong but i think i know my facts. Im not saying Hippocrates was worthless or anything...he was great but calling him "Father of Medicine" wont be fair. Actually history itself isn't accurate. And another example: Callings Andreas Vesalius "Father of Anatomy" well maybe that is accurate because i never read anyone else before him that did anatomy as complex as him...but history still isn't accurate. their might have been people studying the Anatomy of the human body more complex waaaay before Andreas Vesalius...comments

and one more question is anyone studying Medicine? im sophmore in High School and im thinkin about going in medical field. smile

Tired Hiker
I think you should go for it! You seem to know enough as it is. yes Just don't call yourself Dr. horror and hang scary movie posters in your examination room! big grin

h0ck3yh0rr0r
alright thx for advice smile

Gundark
I think you're on the right track, Hockey. Furthering your education and helping others with your knowledge and skills is very admirable.

SAtown_punk
Hippocrates is the father of MODERN medicine. You're teacher should have clarified this.

HockeyHorror
Satown Punk> true but my teacher never said "MODERN".

Gundark> Thx smile

but i still dont know whats a good field...
Forensic Patholgy?
Oncology?
Psychiatry?
Cardiology?
Orthopedist?
etc etc...

any help?

Ushgarak
Yes, Hippocrates put down the basic principles that we recognise in medicine today. Obviously, no-one should be implying he is the first person who ever acted in the capacity of a medic!

HockeyHorror
exactly^

WindDancer
Besides Hippocrates, I think that Theophrastus Paracelsus is also consider the father of pharmaceutical medice.

Evy_O
Well, I go for Hippocrates, since he was Greek yes

yerssot
*wants tiramisu*

Fire
very constructiive stick out tongue

yerssot
well, I can always add suvlaki, uzo and moussaka big grin

Fire
me and storm had suvlaki for dinner today stick out tongue

yerssot
moussaka is traditional the maindish, souvlaki is normally at the end of the meal (at least that was the last time I checked, in a restaurant, should go back to greece)

Fire
I dont care about the order as long as it's good

yerssot
it's ...sticky shifty

Fire
ooh sounds kinky shifty

silver_tears
blinklaughing out loud

Fire
stick out tongue

yerssot
that was the intention, FM ... very much so wink

HockeyHorror
?

lol

Fire
ofc it was, we both know you want me stick out tongue

yerssot
woef woef wink

silver_tears
messed well I'm sure storm would put up a fight yes

Fire
well if she could join in she wouldn't care

HockeyHorror
somehow my thread has changed its topic lol big grin

yerssot
yeah, beter get back on topic messed

HockeyHorror
no not really lol big grin

Fire
lol :P (yerss always trys to deny it, the damn liar)

HockeyHorror
LOL

Fire
resistance is futile

yerssot
I did not had any sexual relationships with that woman, miss Spears mad

Fire
I did not have stick out tongue

yerssot
had, FM... as in "in the past", I didn't say anything about the present big grin

Fire
well we can always ask ush, but I am quite sure that you can not (vervoegen) the other verb if you use a to do + verb construction

silver_tears
its have by the way big grin

yerssot
FM... how about getting an original translation for this word: mierenneuker! stick out tongue

Fire
how about you shuving it

yerssot
very bad translation

Fire
I know

silver_tears
now that's good advice yes

yerssot
what in where?

silver_tears
ummm do we want that answer messed

yerssot
I'm interested in knowing his responce, if you're not, don't read his responce than or post about it

Fire
your answer up your lil tight ass

yerssot
*gasps*
he noticed! he noticed my buttexcersises I've been doing! happy

Ushgarak
Topic, folks...

HockeyHorror
LOL

SAtown_punk
Hippocrates is the father of MODERN medicine, as I've stated before. That's why he is so famous. That's why doctors take the Hippocratic oath. He was a great medical practitioner, but he damn sure wasn't the first one to do it.

Evy_O
Actually both are main dishes... roll eyes (sarcastic)
Souvlaki being more yummy, of course stick out tongue

As for Hippocrates, yes he was the father of modern medicine. His contribution is great and undeniable. But he wasn't, by any means, the first to discover it. Egyptians, I believe, were the first... messed Not sure actually.

BarmyBrummie
i am studying the History of medicine in my GSCE history class and hippocrates was the guy who came up with the theory of the 4 humours which people for hundreds of years later continued to believe in this theory even though it was still being proven wrong by people such as Harvey and Vesalius. Hipppocrates is the father of anything it would be the Theory of the 4 humours big grin

rusky
laughing out loud that was funny...

Mmm...moussaka.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Pingu
I know histroy can be important but does it really matter who fathered which theories? I mean if you went into medicine today and practiced the things they did way back then, you'd be in for a very short career... stick out tongue

If you're interested in medicine good for you, go for it, it really can be very rewarding and an interesting option to consider is emergency pre-hospital care.

BarmyBrummie
actually the past does influence the present because doctors must make the Hippocratic oath big grin

Rusky: Whats so funny? I was just saying what i know to make me sound more clever than i actually am......big grin

Pingu
I didn't say the past didnt influence medicine today only that if someone where to practice some of the things today what were practiced back then they'd be in for a rather short career... stick out tongue

WindDancer
I think that Physicians don't have to take the Hypocratic oath no more. It is only done in certain medical schools only. I don't think is a requirement anymore.

Pingu
It is in the UK I dont know about the rest of the world

Evy_O
It's a requirement here in Greece as well.
Mussakas = sick

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.