POTC slightly over rated?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mook
i saw the film and i enjoyed it but i was surprised that it had its own forum and someone even listed it as the greatest film of all time in a different forum.

its a good summer blockbuster but explain to me why its so great.

i dont think its a particular new concept - surely its just an update of an old style. is this why people like it - in the same way Gladiator or the mummy is popular because its an update of an old genre?

orlandoOYEA
I think i liked it because it wasnt the same as most action movies where you could guess the plot line and know what was gonna happen. I actually didnt know what side Jack was on until the end. Also, it had comedy mixed really well with the action and that made me enjoy it too. I wouldnt call it the best movie ever, but it definatley is one of my top 5.

mook
im surprised it got into your top 5 but fair enough.

whats else is in your top 5?

MissesDepp?!
Reqium for a dream
Moulin Rouge
Big fish and all other Tim Burton movies
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The breakfast club

This has been the first 'popular' movie i have really ever liked.

KMC
Personally i dont think its that overrated but i can see what you mean. It was just a fun film and how often do "sprawling pirate movies" get made?
I think it had a good blend of comedy, romance and action and Johnny Depp certainly brought an ambience to the film. Worthy of an Oscar nomination though?- Nah!
I dont think it was the greatest movie ever but it's one of my favourites. It helps that there's quite abitof eye-candy though! (so shallow!)

Kate xx

MissesDepp?!
and a bit of swashbuckling as well

Balana_twin123
I love pirates of the caribbean! its not overrated at all!

Slonik9
Woah... woah... woah! People, people, settle down!
OK well I think that this movie is THE best!
here are my reasons:
1. This movie wasn't a normal type of action movie, it wasn't like a war or matrix movie, It was an old type, pirate type, new type of action movie, and I think it was a little too good!
2. When was your last pirate movie you saw? Was it as good as POTC? I doubt it! ya know why? Because there were none, exept for those really old black and whit movies! Trust me. Pirates movies are very expensive. Trust me people these days are so cheap! Exept for POTC of course!
3. It was an adventure of your life time! The ride POTC in Disney was nothing compared to this great movie! Action, comedy, adventure! What's better than that?
4. The effects of the movie were great! It felt like you were in the movie, exitment, confusion, journey! It's like everyones life!
5. Great actors! Johnny Depps best role! Orlando and Kiera were great! And it was really fun watching them act! Every move, evry word they made or said made everything so real! The Movie was so real!

I LOVE PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN! I think that it sould win the oscars! Johnny Depp should win the award for best actor, because every other actor playes the same, naturally! But Johnny played a diffrent way! And only he can play it!
I'm auditioning for the sequal, I hope I get a role, I wish I could!

............and yes. I am obbsesed.

JohnnyLove19
Well, I guess this was the most surprising hit of the summer, everyone gave it a hard time even before it was released, I like it because when you watch it you always want to know what happens next...o and Johnny Depp is really hot in this movie

Samas-adian
I think POTC is pretty overrated. It was a fun watch, but the second time I saw it, I was bored. Depp performence was great. Blooms on the other hand, not so much. The action is so-so. And its good because its an expensive film to make?? Ok. no . I thought Master and Commander was alot better ( i know not really same movie plot) but the ships in that movie we real, and no CGI can do that.

Just because it fits in a genre of film that hasnt been done in a while, does not make better or worst. And as for sequels, im getting sick of this, there's no continuing story. It just going to be the same movie. but with better special effects.

Its not bad, but not even close to being the best.

Drac39
I thought it was a bit overrated,good summer adventure film,one of the best movies ever,no way

QuickbeamBower
Honestly I enjoyed the movie a lot, and have it on video now, but I'm ready and willing to admit it is a bit...cheesey, I guess. I mean, the storyline is not fantastic, it's fun, but it is kind of...filmsy. But I can't help it, I love Jack Sparrow. I really thought Depp's character carried the movie, because it was a really hilarious character. Is it enough to do the same for the sequels? Maybe not so much. The story is filmsy and cheesey, but Jack Sparrow is wonderful, and honestly, that movie makes you want to be a pirate. And I think that any movie that can make you want to become the character qualifies as a really excellent movie.

Samas-adian
Yah Depp was great, but i hate Blooms character. It was so cliched. " Because I love her"...Give me a break. But for a sequel, Instead of Jack getting the ship back and about cursed gold its. But instead, its about a ship that got sunk, and probalby mystic powers, ..and theres probalby going to be two parties going after it, One Jack Sparrow and Two.. a bad guy
I could be wrong...but i can see it happening.

SUPERgirl#1_B&M
IT IS NOT ****** overrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't cut Johnny, Orlando or Pirates of the Carribean down cuz it is the bestest movie ever k? Sorry, I just DO NOT like people cutting this movie or the SEXY actors down.... I'm fine now though.... Keep chatting-

Dogbert
blink Anyways...
It is good to see a thread like this,
It was a good movie, but people make too big-a-deal out of it... erm

Samas-adian
So they're good actors because they're sexy. What about talent... or did that go through the window.
WHy is it soo good???? Supergirl

Slonik9
Oh... So I guess this is a thread for pirate-haters...
Yikes! I'm out of here!

Dogbert
Actually, if you read my post, i didn't say I hated it... erm roll eyes (sarcastic)

NtOnKsSuX17
i think that the movie is good, i think that alot of ppl like it is because it is different, they dont normally make pirate movies( well ones that i now of), but to me it is all matter of opinion

JackieSparrow
would everyone stop posting threads saying that POTC is bad or over rated. NO ONE IN THIS FORUM CARES! thats why were here to talk about how much we like it not how much we hate it now scoot along and leave us pirate lovers alone!

Dogbert
We have opinions too, and i am sure you telling me to 'scoot' is going to make me go away... roll eyes (sarcastic)
If you don't like it, you can leave...

JackieSparrow
Im not leaving cause I have friends here unlike you who has no one cause no one in their right mind would be friends with you

Dogbert
Right....whatever you say... no expression
You don't know me, I choose to nasty to close-minded morons like yourself, i am nice to people that have an open mind.

BTW, That little 'No frineds' bit.... roll eyes (sarcastic) What are you, 7? erm

SUPERgirl#1_B&M
NO DUFUS! They aren't JUST SEXY, they Do have LOTS of talent Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom has been in numerous movies and they have gotten awards to, so obvouisly YOU just hate them so if you don't want to be sent to the meister than you better stop dissing POTC cause this is for people who actually like the movie, the plot of the movie is good, the actors are good, the actresses are good, it is a thrilling movie, that is why it is SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So get a life-

Becca~

SUPERgirl#1_B&M
BTW you better leave my friends alone and no JackieSparrow is not 7, but YOU are beginning to sound that age! What we are ALL trying to say to you and yourself is that all of us here are pretty close and we can all gang up on you and MAKE you leave cuz you don't know anyone here and don't have ANY friends to back you up!! So you either change your ways, and stop dissing POTC and the actors and actresses or you just LEAVE!!!!!!!! I would be perfectly fine with you LEAVING, OKAY?

BECCA~

Dogbert
Sorry Supergirl, that threat was lame and not scary... erm

It is in the POTC fourm, so I can post however I feel about the movie and nobody is going to tell me that I can't no2 Feel free to 'gang' up on me, I am still not going to leave erm

The concept that you can't seem to get through your thick skull is that I never said I hate the movie....

beaujay1
i think it was a good film and my personal fave, but the best of all time????? no, it has to be absolutely great overall. i really liked it but there are other movies that well, have more depth to them.

Iirima

Dogbert
lol, i know what you mean about the argument thing smile
It would be your 4th favorite movie, i think blink

Samas-adian
umm what awards has Bloom won....??????? come on tell me...??

and he has done 6 movies, 4, Lord of the Rings and POTC. and by the way the other 2 well... Black Hawk Down...and he dies in the first 20 minutes. and the other....well its called Wilde and its a very small part.

Depp i do agree is good.

SUPERgirl#1_B&M
Listen up DOGBERT god, I mean what kind of name is it anyway........

Becca~

SUPERgirl#1_B&M
Oh, and Samas-adian Orlando is up the The Best British Actor tonight in the UK, Awards don't mean anything to me though, Orlando is good and he DOESN'T need any award to prove that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becca~

Dogbert
HarHar, At least my name isn't bad as yours... erm

BTW, That is a convincing argument, making fun of my name... ffs, are you really THAT stupid... no expression

MissesDepp?!
arguing sucks....it's just because too people have different opinions. I love potc, it's probably the only "popular" movie i have EVER liked. Usually i go for independent ####, but pirates are awsome i respect there coolness. Dogbert didn't say he hated it he just has his own opinion and Jackie has hers... whatever guys just accept that you think differently and shut up.... dogbert's name is from a cartoon, funny one. Jackie i love the way you stick up for what you like! HUZZAH!

jack's dudess
yay!!

argueing sucks...i hear to much of it at home..so none on here!!....please

JackieSparrow
HUZZAH! I think that could possibly be the stupidest thing said in the movie and its not that stupid

MissesDepp?!
hahaha i love that word!!!!!

Iirima
It's cool...I rearely say it tho, because my sister hit me last time I did...wink

MissesDepp?!
hahahahah random!

JackieSparrow
random is fun!

MissesDepp?!
yup

claidisa_felton
its an amazing movie and im sure any obsesser such as myself will be able to persuade you if you talked to any one of us for the right amount of time!!

MissesDepp?!
i shall assist all who need reconing!

Iirima
Like moi...wink I need to be obsessed...I have too many obsessions, but who cares? big grin

MissesDepp?!
obsessions are healthy, everyone has one and if they don't display it, they're un-healthy!!!

Unholy_Cheese
Very trueyes

Gauze
I agree with the person who made this thread. The only reason that POTC was successful was because it re-introduced the 'epic' genre to the screen; something that had been absent since the 50's.

Since n00b children of nowday never even knew it existed beforehand, they suddenly think it's the best thing since sliced bread. But I'm not complaining. I enjoyed it. I just think it was successful mainly because of stupid kids thinking 'Johnny is hot, therefore we must see it'. Pathetic.

07'Pirate
Originally posted by mook
i saw the film and i enjoyed it but i was surprised that it had its own forum and someone even listed it as the greatest film of all time in a different forum.

its a good summer blockbuster but explain to me why its so great.

i dont think its a particular new concept - surely its just an update of an old style. is this why people like it - in the same way Gladiator or the mummy is popular because its an update of an old genre?

Its a movie that nobody would expect 2 do well but the actors work well together....the characters are unforgettable...the film is very funny, the stunts and CGI used was extraordinary and it's a movie franchise like nothing else out now'a days big grin

jessigem
ok first of all, you ^^^who said that are only like 19 or something, so you're not really an adult yet (move out or 22 years old under my standards).
secondly: i don't think johnny was hot in that movie. He just looked better than he did in any of his other freaky movies, no offense.
and third: if you say it's pathetic that stupid "kids" think johnny depp is hot(adults do too), then you are complaining.
and to get back on topic, it was a good movie but not the best ever, and maybe they should make a forum just for movie bashing, since there seems to be some movie-bashers in this forum.

She's a pirate
It IS one of the best movies I've seen...yet...not. I don't know how exactly to explain it...the movie by all rights SHOULD have been very boring. But Johnny Depp MADE it intresting and made you want to keep watching it.

jessigem
that's a great way of explaining it. like if johnny depp wasn't in it, it wouldn't have had that comical effect.
BRILLIANT!! eek!

LovelyOne
Even if it is overrated its still going to be a well liked movie.

blackpearl44
POTC 1 and 2 are both great movies, and I agree, even if it was overrated (which it is not) it would still be well liked........and the 3rd movie will be nothing less than great, just like the first two movies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.