Peter Parker or Ben Reilly?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jury Copeland
Who's story comes best?

Spider-Man as Peter Parker or
Spider-Man as Ben Reilly?

Just want to know your side.

Coz' I really like the story of Ben...

It's more dramatic than Pete's life.

cool

venomfan
i think Scarlet Spider is cooler, but hes dead

Zephonim
I gotta tell ya, the whole Clone Saga is what turned me off to Spider-Man comics for awhile. Thought it was just a little much.

venomfan
lol yeah......wait heres somthin that was a week in the making MAXIMUM CLONEAGE!! <yes they really did it

docb77
Originally posted by Zephonim
I gotta tell ya, the whole Clone Saga is what turned me off to Spider-Man comics for awhile. Thought it was just a little much.

But alas, for everyone who was turned of by the coming of Ben, there is someone else like me who got started on comics by that storyline (still thought it went on way too long, and I really hated how they killed Ben, but hey what ya gonna do?)

Doc Ock
Ben Reilly sucks.Peter Parker all the way.

Syndicate_Lord
Pete IS Spider-Man!

Spideys Sister
I like Pete over all but Ben had the hotter costume! cool

H. S. 6
Originally posted by docb77
But alas, for everyone who was turned of by the coming of Ben, there is someone else like me who got started on comics by that storyline (still thought it went on way too long, and I really hated how they killed Ben, but hey what ya gonna do?)

Somehow, I doubt that. The Clone Saga is still widely recognized as one of the biggest mistakes in Spider-Man history.

Pete's the real Spider-Man.

Black Adam
Pete for me...

samishe
Pete.

spencerspider
Peter

Sparkz
Peter all the way, and the clone saga got me started on comics, as it was the first arc i read smile. But I realy wish they didnt kill off Ben, he could have became the scarlet spider again and been his own hero, or come up with an entirly new identity. But the biggest problem with ben was in every comic "I was once peter parker but I was cloned blah blah blah" ok we got the hint you said that the first 50 issues that and every time i was reading it i was wishing it was peter in the suit not sure why but what the hey.

docb77
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Somehow, I doubt that. The Clone Saga is still widely recognized as one of the biggest mistakes in Spider-Man history.

Pete's the real Spider-Man.

Yeah, even I realize that it was a huge mistake. But it wasn't the idea that was the mistake, it was how they continually mismanaged it and kept beating a dead horse that killed it. If it had been done well.... Well, I guess we'll never know.

H. S. 6
Yeah, even I realize that it was a huge mistake. But it wasn't the idea that was the mistake, it was how they continually mismanaged it and kept beating a dead horse that killed it. If it had been done well.... Well, I guess we'll never know.

But I mean, the part about "for every person that stopped reading them, somebody else started picking them up."

That, I doubt.

docb77
I don't doub it. It was one of the best selling mags of its time.

Read "Life of Reilly" to get the full scoop on what was good, bad and why it ended up despised.

http://www.newcomicreviews.com/GHM/specials/LifeOfReilly/1.html

carnageandvenom
can someone post pics of benrielly i don't really now what he looks like

docb77
Here's a good place to start I suppose. Don't have access to a scanner, but there's plenty of sites that have pics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Reilly

brainchild81
Ben was okay, but Peter Parker is the only true Spider-Man.

docb77
See, but Ben was supposed to be the real Peter. The Marketing department and the editors killed the story that was supposed to be and left us with the eyesore that is the clone saga.

brainchild81
they made the right decision

docb77
Making a good story idea into crap was the right decision?

brainchild81
It wasn't a good story idea. You don't take somebody who many fans have grown up with and all of the sudden say their just a clone.

littleredhat
Don't make me choose. sad

I can't help but love any Peter I'm shown. If I had my way all the clones would have lived,moved in with eachother and fight crime while having wacky misunderstandings.

I love Peter Parkers that much. embarrasment

Spideys Sister
Peter rocks

docb77
Originally posted by brainchild81
It wasn't a good story idea. You don't take somebody who many fans have grown up with and all of the sudden say their just a clone.

being a clone wouldn't have changed what he'd done. What's wrong with that?

Superboy Prime
Peter Parker is the one true Spider-man. I really liked Ben Reilly. Quite in fact I liked him more than Peter. He had a lot of potential in his stories if they decided to do something flesh with him, but no they did not. Peter is the one true Spider-Man and I always believed it. They should not have killed Ben. He still had a lot of potential even as a clone.

doctorstrongbad
Peter Parker is the best there is, best there was ,and the best there ever will be. He is the one, the only, Spider-man.

docb77
Perhaps Peter will use the name Ben Reilly in the near future. I imagine that the writers are going to want to give him back some sort of anonymity, but other than using a Ben Reilly type Identity, I don't see how they'd do it after Civil War.

doctorstrongbad
Perhaps Peter will use the name Ben Reilly in the near future. I imagine that the writers are going to want to give him back some sort of anonymity, but other than using a Ben Reilly type Identity, I don't see how they'd do it after Civil War.

Are you saying he would fake his death and pretend to be Ben Reilly? That is actually a really good idea.

docb77
Hopefully the writers come up with something better than killing of Mary Jane and Aunt May..... Again

Dan-El
The only problem with the clone saga is how long the editors dragged it out. They should've capped it off after a year and a half or so. Maybe got their stories out with "What If...?"

Though I must admit I am a fan of a number of the Ben Reilly as Spider-Man stories, as well as much of the clone saga.

docb77
Actually there is one mistake I think was bigger than the neverending-ness of the storyline. ... The death of Ben Reilly. I mean really, could they have thought of a more idiotic end for him?

doctorstrongbad
Well you never know with comics. He may appear again someday.

Doc Ock
Ben Reilly is a pile of dust.

I'd love to see how they could bring that back.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Doc Ock
Ben Reilly is a pile of dust.

I'd love to see how they could bring that back.

I have seen crazy things in comic books. How many times has Jean Grey come back to life?

Doc Ock
Jean Grey was never turned to dust.

docb77
Originally posted by Doc Ock
Jean Grey was never turned to dust.

Nah never turned to dust. Incinerated, but never turned to dust.

Jury
Originally posted by doctorstrongbad
I have seen crazy things in comic books. How many times has Jean Grey come back to life? Jean's numerous deaths, is not CRAZY. One should really comprehend what a PHOENIX does mean: Jean dies only to live again... so does Phoenix.

gambit12 mon ami

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Jury
Jean's numerous deaths, is not CRAZY. One should really comprehend what a PHOENIX does mean: Jean dies only to live again... so does Phoenix.

gambit12 mon ami

I know what Phoenix means, I was using her as an example. Many comic characters have come back to life ... The green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Elektra. The list goes on and on.

docb77
I know what Phoenix means, I was using her as an example. Many comic characters have come back to life ... The green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Elektra. The list goes on and on.

Don't forget Bucky, as far as Marvel goes it was him and uncle Ben that were never supposed to come back... So much for that.

What'll we see next the return of Batman's parents?

doctorstrongbad
Don't forget Bucky, as far as Marvel goes it was him and uncle Ben that were never supposed to come back... So much for that.

What'll we see next the return of Batman's parents?

You never know what comics will do next. Maybe they will reveal superman and batman's identities.

Jury
My point was, when you used CRAZINESS to apply in Jean's numerous comeback. So, not a best example to support your point. smile

Characters come back, of course, for serious and practical reasons. Production = Money. The characters attract readers, reasonable enough to maintain them in an on-going series elsewhere. It's not craziness. It's business. roll eyes (sarcastic)

So, instead of presenting new characters that would result to a more confused and over-crowded universe... restore, reuse, and recycle is still the most effective strategy.

smile

Dan-El
Unless the death is meaningful in a way. When they bring a character back from a heartfelt death, Aunt May for example, it just soils things for a while.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Dan-El
Unless the death is meaningful in a way. When they bring a character back from a heartfelt death, Aunt May for example, it just soils things for a while.

I totally agree with this. How many times has Aunt May come back from death?

Sparkz
I totally agree with this. How many times has Aunt May come back from death?

Once, the only problem was when she died it was realy touching and very well written story, it made Ben Reily seem more human and showed the love all the characters showed for May, and only to have this story ruined by a very weak plot about an actress who played her to her death(she liked acting so much she killed herself for the greatest role)... confused And then we were stuck with classic Aunt May untill JMS came along and gave her a personality. Brining May back was not a good move, I mean since shes's been back she has gone off in Iron Man armour, let the woman die.

I swear if they revive Gwen or Uncle Ben Marvel realy will have gone to far.

docb77
Originally posted by Sparkz
Once, the only problem was when she died it was realy touching and very well written story, it made Ben Reily seem more human and showed the love all the characters showed for May, and only to have this story ruined by a very weak plot about an actress who played her to her death(she liked acting so much she killed herself for the greatest role)... confused And then we were stuck with classic Aunt May untill JMS came along and gave her a personality. Brining May back was not a good move, I mean since shes's been back she has gone off in Iron Man armour, let the woman die.

I swear if they revive Gwen or Uncle Ben Marvel realy will have gone to far.

Can't remember if it was Friendly Neighborhood or Sensational, but one of those books brought an Uncle Ben from an alternate timeline into the marvel timeline. He was still lurking in the shadows at the end of the storyline. roll eyes (sarcastic)

doctorstrongbad
Can't remember if it was Friendly Neighborhood or Sensational, but one of those books brought an Uncle Ben from an alternate timeline into the marvel timeline. He was still lurking in the shadows at the end of the storyline. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Its true, but to be fair they did bring back Batman's father in an other worlds comic. You know, the DC rip off of What If?

ankur29
petes the real deal so im with da webhead

doctorstrongbad
Nobody will pick Ben over Peter. Peter is Spider-man.

docb77
Nobody will pick Ben over Peter. Peter is Spider-man.

I would have picked Ben over Peter before marvel screwed it up and killed him, but with the history that Peter's gained since then, it would be another screw-up to try to replace him again.

doctorstrongbad
I would have picked Ben over Peter before marvel screwed it up and killed him, but with the history that Peter's gained since then, it would be another screw-up to try to replace him again.

Why did you like Ben better than Peter?

docb77
Why did you like Ben better than Peter?

At the time... Ben had less whining and more snappy banter. He was a more energetic spidey. I also liked the fact that Ben was like peter when he was learning the ropes. Plus, he beat Venom all by his lonesome. His spider-sense worked fine against the big V.

doctorstrongbad
At the time... Ben had less whining and more snappy banter. He was a more energetic spidey. I also liked the fact that Ben was like peter when he was learning the ropes. Plus, he beat Venom all by his lonesome. His spider-sense worked fine against the big V.

Yeah he had some good points, but Peter will always be the only Spider-man for me.

Dan-El
I liked Ben, and I wish they didn't kill him off because the Scarlet Spider was a great character. However, I didn't really like the whole "Ben is the real Peter Parker... PSYCHE!" angle.

Black Adam
I really and I mean really hated the clone saga.

couldn't really care that Ben died the way he did.

doctorstrongbad
The clone saga was one of the worst story arcs ever.

docb77
No, the clone saga was a great idea that was horribly mishandled and turned into a grotesquery by the marketing department.

I could have done a better job, and I'm not really a writer.

Black Adam
No, the clone saga was a great idea that was horribly mishandled and turned into a grotesquery by the marketing department.

I could have done a better job, and I'm not really a writer.

no the clone saga was a crappy idea from the beginning.

lets bring spider-man "back to the basics" (God I hate regression)

what was wrong with spidey at the time that needed to be fixed in such a way that they needed to get rid of peter completely while a new guy took his place?

to many villains? simply ignore them
Marriage? sigh
pete is to mean and not as wisecracking as he used to be? tell the writers to cut it out.

docb77
Originally posted by Black Adam
no the clone saga was a crappy idea from the beginning.

lets bring spider-man "back to the basics" (God I hate regression)

what was wrong with spidey at the time that needed to be fixed in such a way that they needed to get rid of peter completely while a new guy took his place?

to many villains? simply ignore them
Marriage? sigh
pete is to mean and not as wisecracking as he used to be? tell the writers to cut it out.

The regression wasn't the good idea, it was the clone thing. If they'd used it well, you could have gotten 2 great stories out of it. Imagine finding out that you've been living someone else's life, or that someone else was living yours. Those are the stories that could have been good, but not much beyond a couple of story arcs. The clone saga was just way too long and then they killed it even for fans with that stupid death.

Why did they need to get rid of Peter? They didn't, but the mechanism they tried to use had potential aside from the "regression".

doctorstrongbad
It would of been good if Ben Reilly ended up become an ally to Peter, or if he moved to a new city. Killing him off wasn't a very good idea.

Magic_attack
I hate when n00bs don't take the time to use the search button. :smile

I say Peter.

docb77
What are you talking about? you're the first post to this thread in almost two years.

But since it's been revived... Any guesses about how "Brand New Day" will affect the Ben Reilly thing?

Magic_attack
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f47/t453381.html

Is what I am talking about friend. smile

Steverules never checks to make sure if a thread has been made or not.

docb77
ah, I see.

brainchild81
being a clone wouldn't have changed what he'd done. What's wrong with that? Everything.

docb77
Originally posted by brainchild81
Everything.

confused

How?

brainchild81
He wouldn't be the real thing. After all the fvcked up shit he's been through, now he's a clone too? It was just bad

docb77
I disagree. I rather enjoyed, for example, Ben Reilly's fight with Venom. It didn't really matter that we thought that he was a clone at a time. Being a clone wouldn't change any of the stories. It's just a wrinkle on the character.

brainchild81
Of course it didn't matter that we thought BR was a clone. We didn't "know" him like we knew Peter. I had no problem w/BR, but I'm glad he was the clone.

Micheal_Myers
Pete ftw!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.