Computer problems

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shaber
Does anyone know why my computer could have just switched itself off? Is there something wrong with it? I'm using a 2002 Dell with Windows XP.

Storm
eek! Mine did that too a week ago blink

yerssot
you could be a bit more specific, like which proggies you were running and such

rusky
There's a trillion reasons for that, u'll have to be a bit more specific.....and please guys...post problems under news&questions..

shaber
There is no news and questions thread.

I was on the offtopic forum, using Netscape 7.0

yerssot
there is a news and questions SECTION, which rusky refers too

Storm
Yes, but I always thought that news and questions were specifically related to KMC problems.
I had a problem (question) with my PS 2, so I searched the Computer / Video Games Discussion section and I found an earlier made thread about it. I don' t think that I should have posted it then in the news and questions messed

rusky
Hmm....interesting...that's because not everybody checks the n&q section out.. perhaps we could get loyalty points for answering questions in the n&q section..

rusky
Anyway, was there a specific message that popped up before the shutdown ? Like some square allert box mentioning something about the RPC(Remote Procedure Call) ? Or did it just suddenly shut down ? (in which case u should check out 2 things, 1- Have u added any new hard piece to u'r pc ? perhaps the power-source of the pc is too weak (try upgrading it if that is the case) 2- is u'r pc's processor overcloked ? or perhaps the cooler is damaged ? Either one of theese could cause the pc to shut itself down upon reaching a certain temperature..)

shaber
I have not added any new hard piece. There was no message alert box. Is the power source the battery or cable? It has run on longer than it had done and not crashed. Is the processor simply the memory banks?

rusky
The power source is the small box sized place in the back of u'r pc where the big power cable jacks in.
The processor is the small square chip fitted on u'r motherboard(that's the biggest one in there, the one which all the others connect to).

It's unlikely that it's either then... perhaps just a random windows bug or an energy spike...as long as it doesn't happen on a regular basis u should be ok...

Raz
moving...

Paola
I have a computer problem too..... hope someone can help.....

do you know why everytime I get online my winamp stops????!!!

Fire
windows shut itself down from time to time for no apparent reason
just because it is windows.

or it might be a small glitch in your PSU

no idea, could be that he doesnt have enough RAM memory to continue your winamp and your Internet Explorer but I doubt that

you tried using another piece of software like Real Player or,god forbid, Windows Media Player to play your MP3s?

yerssot
what's your RAM?

Ollie3001
Was it when you left it alone for a while? cus computers usualy come set to "switch to stand by in 15 mins" or what ever (even if ur screen saver is active)
it could have got too hot and shut down to save it from getting damaged (u should clean all the dust out of all the components inside, it can make ur computer up to 3 times hotter than it should be, i suggest compressed air to do this)
low memory, if it had been on for most of the day, it could have run out of vertial memory, there for it shuts down so you have to start it up agen so it has freed up some of the memory.

Fire
lol mine has been on now for one week or so

my record is about 1.5 months

Ollie3001
Bloody hell, why?

Paola
hmmmmm confused

I don't know....how can I???

yerssot
goto your control panel and hit "System"

Storm
I like Windows Media Player embarrasment

Ushgarak
Yeah, WMP is fine these days.

yerssot
you sick and twisted little girl stick out tongue

Fire
Mine still crashs often tho

Storm
confused Me? blink

yerssot
no, the chick with the d.... behind you roll eyes (sarcastic)

rusky
laughing That's a good one..

Fitch
WMP is kinda good lately...Microsh*t didn't blew it totally with this one..

Storm
*sticks tongue out at Fire*
WMP love

Fitch
laughing out loud

Paola
done....

195,060 KB de RAM

yerssot
thought they came in 128, 256 or 512?

Paola
that's all I can see about "RAM" in System Properties confused

Raz
If your computer switches off without the blue-screen-of-death then you have a power supply problem.

Make sure the AC leads are securily fitted.

Paola
no
My problem is winamp stops as soon as I get online ...

rusky
It might have some sort of auto-update option enabled, dunno...

Fire
other more indepth question about the power
how much Whatt does your PSU allow: it prolly is a 300 (normally says so on the exterior just below your power cable entrance)
and then the second question is
how many things draw power from it, like harddrives, cd-rom players and so forth.

cause if you have too many things drawing power it could just be that the PSU can't supply it all

yerssot
or if you have a skin on your winamp, switch it back to the old one and see if it still fails

Paola
still fails cry

yerssot
I have no flipping idea actualy

Paola
cry

no prob.... thanx for your time yerssot

yerssot
yeah well, would have been better if I actually helped you out

Fire
tried reinstalling it?

Paola
no I don't know how to, Fire

VilleValo462
computers cost so much .. and they are soo vulnerable !

yerssot
go to your control panel, pick "add or remove software" and chose "winamp", that will remove it.
Than go to nullsoft (the creators) and install the latest version

Paola
okie.... I'll try... would you still help me if I screw it???!!!
I might ruin my comp.... you know?

yerssot
erm, you can't screw anything if you do thatmessed

rusky
Be brave...anything u do can be reversed so don't be afraid to try smile

yerssot
except getting Windows to run

Paola
that just gave me the courage to do it yerssot yes

yerssot
that's the spirit big grin

Paola
any more encouraging words??..... I need them sad

burlyman
go girl! wink

yerssot
let's roll wink

The One Himself
Can I suggest you disable winamp internet connection? confused Right click on winamp> Options> Preferences>Setup> Internet Settings> No internet connection available.

Paola
eek! let me try!!!!

Paola
no it was like that..... but I saw two more options:

Check for new versions of Winamp at startup

&

Allow Winamp to report basic, anonymous program usage information

and I deselected both.. I'll see what happens...

Fire
idd

yerssot
yeah, definitly have to deselect those smile

Poyo
Your computer could shut down when the cpu gets too hot... and the fan on the cpu is not working....... usually, motherboard has this feature that turns off the computer before it frys the cpu so that could be one of your problems of computer just shutting off

Paola
didn't work crybaby

Raz
Whats your problem exactly?

Paola
Winamp stops as soon as I get online........ yerss told me to reinstall it..... but I had problems with Winamp before (when Windows 2000 was installed) so my brother did something to it so it could work and I'm afraid if I reinstall it, it wouldn't work again sad helpsmilie

Dvae
use something other than winamp cool

Raz
Re-install it.

Paola
sad

Dave: happens the same with the others sad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.