Was Anakin created by the Midichlorians?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hana_skywalker
That's something I've been wondering. Maybe it's just that I'm not well informed, but did Shmi tell the truth to Qui-gon in Ep1 when he asked her about Anakin's father or she just said it to avoid further questions?

I read somewhere that The Force created him as a kind of "Challenge" to the Jedi, to see if they would be tempted to make him a Knight, even though he was too old. Is there an answer for my question?

yerssot
anakin wasn't created by the midichlorians, he was created by the force, those two things are NOT the same

Ushgarak
Though QGJ says he was conceived by them.

We have no reason to think this is not true but without more on the Prophecy it is hard to be certain.

yerssot
he said it was possible, not that it was 100% so
I don't think the midichlorians can do it, I think the force can do it though

Ushgarak
Obviously they can do it else QGJ would not have raised the possibility- it was that line that brought up the Prophecy, after all.

The midi-chlorians are biological, it is entirely feasible.

hana_skywalker
Yes, you're right, that's what I tried to mean, thanks. thumb up

Ushgarak
Well, I think as far as we can tell that he WAS conceived by the midi-chlorians. That is certainly what QGJ thinks and it is strongly hinted that is what the Prophecy refers to also.

yerssot
but no one knows what exactly is in the prophecy to start with

Darth Jello
I think that the prophecy is the first intro to star wars, from journal of the whills. the one about the "son of the suns"

Ushgarak
Well, that shows that Prophecy was always on GL's mind, but a whole lot of things have changed since then. When he wrote that, Anakin and Vader were seperate characters, for a start.

Darth Jello
yeah, but everything falls into place

hana_skywalker
The Prophecy you're talking about is the one that says that Anakin will bring balance to the Force? Does it say something else?

Darth Jello
from the third draft of star wars:

"... and in the time of greatest despair,
there shall come a savior, and he shall
be known as The Son of The Suns."

Journal of the Whills, 3:127

keep in mind that in almost every religion, the sun represents God or benevolent divinity. Further indication that in the Star Wars storyline, Anakin is the equivelant of this worlds predicted Christ.

yerssot
and keep in mind that it was on a draft and the story has in the mean time changed so much

so, no canon imho

Darth Jello
again yerssot, this isn't a question of canon

yerssot
it is, it was in a draft and did not return later on, so what you wrote can not be considered as the one phrophecy just something that once GL thought about

bigsef3
I was watching TPM last night and, on a side note, the more i learn about EPIII, the more i appreciate what Lucas did in TPM and AOTC. They really arent as "great" as they could have been on their own, but they are still EXCELLENT MOVIES and will ultimately blend with the original trilogy alot better than i had feared.

Anyway, TPM clearly states that it is "possible anakin was conceived by the midichlorians." We had never heard of midichlorians before TPM. there was absolutley NO REASON for GL to introduce the midichlorians in TPM and state that possibility if it were not fact.

GL raised the "possibility" because that is the truth. Anakin has no "father." He WAS conceived by the midichlorians

Ushgarak
Agreed.

RobBo
This is clumsily emphasised by the reference to divine (or) immaculate conception.

Jesus was concieved by the holy ghost, Anakin was conceived by the midichlorians.

Same tale, different viewpoint. There is nothing new in the galaxy!

Ushgarak
As has been stated several hundredd times, that was NOT a biblical reference but a mythological one- the child of the Gods.

RobBo
A biblical reference IS mythological.

mindbugaling
the movies, as they go on, get darker and more darker. thats why in the first movie, weve got characters like jar jar and the look of it is very clean and crisp, almost like a kids movie. Ep2 was a little bit more darker with limbs being chopped off and the clone wars and such. Ep3 i bet will be so dark and evil, itll scare the shite out of you, even rick mccallum in an interview was questioning the rating of the movie because of its twisted plotline. so i think all in all lucas was looking for movies that contrasted themselves within the trilogy.

Darth Jello
thats one thing the EU needs to lend it some respect, a 2 books composed entirely of prophecies and retelling written in flowery, Dante-ish poetry. one for the Jedi and one for the sith

mindbugaling
that would be interesting, but only if it was under the directing drafting of lucas

Darth Jello
he wouldn't have the skill. he'd need a ghostwriter

Ushgarak
But too specific. GL was drawing from Indian, Greek and Roman myths when he did that- what people generally consider to be myth, rather than the Bible (which after all, many consider fact)

yerssot
why do people always think he took it from the bible? like they were the first ones to use it roll eyes (sarcastic)

mindbugaling
lucas said that he took the story styles from early thirties movies. most of the plots/characters/atmospheres from the thirties were taken from the bible. so i think, indirectly, he wrote it with biblical references

yerssot
suuuure he was, stop the bible-crap and think on what the bible based THEIR stuff on

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.