Mace Windu as head of the Jedi Council

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Just went to the bother of checking this one out.

The fully canonical script to the Phantom Menace says that Windu IS the head of the Council- more specifically, it names him as the senior Jedi in the Council room.

So that sorts that out.

Or does it? Script-based canonical pieces can be overruled by later films. If it is clearly said that Yoda is the head in AOTC then this goes out the window.

But for now it is Mace.

EDIT: Incidentally, research reveals that Yoda was never intended to be head of the Council. During the design stages, Eeth Koth was intended to be the head until Windu replaced him. COULD still all change, but that is another vital indicator.

ANOTHER EDIT: HMM! Yet further research suggests that the offical site used to be full of references about Windu being the Council. These referneces have now been removed!

So it is very possible that Windu's position as head will be officially changed.

queeq
Can you post the lines that say so, Ush?

Ushgarak
That says which bit? I ended up saying rather more than intended.

The scrip bit from TPM says, when you first see the Jedi Council, that there are 12 members. Mace is the senior Jedi. At his side are Ki-Adi Mundi and Master Yoda.

Eeth Koth's BTS entry on the website reveals him as being once penned in as boss. However, that entry USED to say that Windu eventually replaced him in that role. Now it instead says that he is the same race as Darth Maul.

queeq
Senior Jedi.... that doesn't mean much. So is Yoda, or Ki Adi.... Hmmm weird.

Ushgarak
It clearly refers to him as THE senior Jedi. What with all the other material agreeing that is quite a case.

queeq
Okay, so quote the script.

Ushgarak
"INT:TEMPLE OF THE JEDI-COUNCIL CHAMBERS-DAY

QUI-GON stands in a tall stately room. Twelve JEDI sit in a semi-circle. OBI-WAN stands behind QUI-GON in the center of the room.

The senior Jedi is MACE WINDU. To his left is an alien Jedi named KI-ADI-MUNDI, and to his right, the Jedi Master, YODA."

finti
seems like Yoda is in some sort of charge though

yerssot
no, Mace is the head

Ushgarak
Err... well, bearing in mind what I just said about that maybe being changed of course.

ToMacco
I understand that it could mean Mace is the head.

But anything that is not IN the movie is rubbish, in my mind.

yerssot
as GL said:

First the movies, then the novelisation (only the Del Rey one) and THEN the radio drama

ToMacco
All necissary information should be given in the movies, or not be taken into consideration. Period.

queeq
So what is higher: senior Jedi or Jedi Master? I think I'd choose the latter IMHO.

yerssot
for me, it's senior Jedi

Ushgarak
What an odd thing to say, queeq! Mace is referred to as THE senior Jedi, not A senior one. No matter what other descriptions are given, that makes him the highest. It's a superlative. It's not down to opinion.

queeq
If you say so, I bow down to your wisdom and humbly offer you my apologies.

Ushgarak
No need to be like that.

queeq
Oh... well, let's just say from my language culture I'd interpret that differently. So I stand corrected.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.