Mines of Moria

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
Could someone tell me more about the Mines of Moria? I just read past the part where they open the door and go in.

yerssot
they're big and dark big grin

Captain REX
Now I'm to the part where they begin to fight the Balrog. "You cannot pass!"

Mujaffa
and there goes gandalf and the balrog down in the dark way down in kazad

Captain REX
In Moria, not Kazad. Kazad is Dwarf in Elvish.

Captain REX
I'm halfway through Two Towers, so I already know what happened after the fight.

Mujaffa
well did you know that balin was murdered outside the mine ??

Captain REX
No, I didn't. I just knew he was killed there and buried there.

Mujaffa
well it says so in fotr, when they are in the tomb in moria

Brith
Sorry to be a language pedant but I think Khazad is Dwarf in Dwarvish; the Sindaran word for Dwarf is Hadhod.

The Dwarfs call Moria Khazad-dum which means Dwarf Mansion. Moria is a Sindaran word for the mines that came into use after the Dwarfs woke up the Balrog about 1000 years before the War of the Ring. Not sure what Moria translates to but Mor part of it means Black so it obviously has evil undertones.

Its sad I know all this actually.

Ushgarak
Not around here it isn't. Here, knowledge is praised and worshipped...

Captain REX
Thanks for the info. big grin

Machine
yes we know Brith is our true god worship his feet slaves

FINGOLFIN
The Mines of Moria were one of the original dwellings of the Dwarves in Middle-Earth. Khazad-Dum is the proper name.

It was mined for ores and Mithril. The dwarves then dug a little too deep and awoke the Balrog that had been imprisoned there since the War against Melkor.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.