The Arkenstone

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shadowy_blue
OK...we all know that the Silmarils were casted in the ocean by Maglor, one was chucked into a fiery chasm by Maedhros, and one was set by Earendil on his brow.

Now, I've always wondered if the Arkenstone was the silmaril Maedhros threw away; it was swallowed by the earth poetically. I find it hard to believe that a Varda-blessed, Feanor-made jewel would be destroyed by being chucked into a fiery chasm, although that's entirely open to debate. However, going along with the idea that it survived that, isn't it possible that a few thousand years after a geological shift closed the chasm up and shifted the little bit of Arda that Maedhros' silmaril was in around, a Dwarf could have dug it up?

This goes along with the fact that the Dwarves didn't make the Arkenstone. They just found it.

And also the name of the Arkenstone itself. Arken comes from "eorcan" which means "holy" in Old English. "Eorclanstanas" means "holy stones" and is the Old English word for the Silmarils.

This matter wasn't really clarified even in the HoME series. I'm wondering if this has been explained in other books that Tolkien have written. Is there any mention regarding the Arkenstone in Letters?

Just to clarify, I'm not claiming that the Arkenstone is a Silmaril. Just having some random thoughts of possibilities.

Any thoughts? big grin

Tolkien is a real genius indeed. big grin Along with the location of the Entwives, the real identity of Tom Bombadil and many more, this is one of the mysteries that Tolkien left for us Middle-earth fans to reckon with. And this is a very good thing indeed. We don't know everything and some things are open to interpretation and debate for who knows how long? big grin

Kitoky
That's a very interesting thought...it would make sense, the dwarves took the Arkenstone and made their special jewel and all...very interesting shadowy smile

shadowy_blue
Thanks! big grin

And oh...also one of the descriptions of the Arkenstone is that "it shone with ten thousand sparks of white radiance shot with glints of the rainbow." and we know that the Silmarils held the light of the Two Trees of Valinor and we all know how bright they were. big grin

Kitoky
Oh and shadowy, you think too much.

Kitoky
*cough* Kinda off subject, but I found this -

shadowy_blue
eek! eek! love

Thank you so much!!! big grin I love those shots of them in the coronation! big grin They look so peaceful and happy! big grin And Miranda and David actually had an extreme chemistry with each other in just a 2 second shot of them smiling at each other and 5 seconds of bowing side by side. love Now I can really hardly wait for the EE. eek! I can't wait for them to kiss. kiss

Again, thanks so much for the pic!!! big grin

shadowy_blue
*cough* too, stick out tongue

back on topic...stick out tongue

shadowy_blue
Yea, I do. sad I don't even know anymore if it's a good thing or not. But I guess if it has anything to do with Middle-earth, then it's more than good. big grin However, I also think too much about other things besides Middle-earth.

orlandoOYEA
lovely pic kit!! woot!

anaritearbina
hum...interesting idea

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.