Making tea

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Corran
We have a difference on opinion on the best way to make a cup of tea. Obviously the best way is to boil a kettle, pour some of the boiling water into a tea-pot and swill and empty, then add tea-bags to the tea-pot to taste (usually one bag per cup plus one for the pot), then you pour in the water from the kettle which should have cooled a few degrees, leave to brew to taste, put milk into the cup and pour in the tea, add sugar to taste.

However, if you do not have a tea-pot but need to make a brew in a mug/cup what do you think is the best way, is milk in first then tea bag then water, or tea-bag then water then milk etc?

silver_tears
nice title laughing out loud

Pingu
According to the Women Institute the milk should always be put in first to avoid boiling water from 'burning' the tea and spoiling the flavour. Personally I dont care cos I find tea to be the foulest drink on this planet - But coffee well thats different! wink

silver_tears
I agree yes
I very much dislike tea puke

Gundark
I love tea, but I do not drink it with milk.

Honey or a bit of sugar only.

Pingu
Just th eway I like my coffee thumb up

Gundark
Yes, coffee, same way. No milk

My milk is segregated from my other beverages.

Pingu
One thing I really hate is when people stir your coffee with the same spoon they just used in a cup of tea without rinsing it first!

silver_tears
What the f**k? okay, lol I like cream in coffee love
but I don't drink regular coffee so it doesn't bother me any big grin

Pingu
So the conclusion of this thread - How to make the perfect cup of tea?
Pour it down the sink and have a coffee instead! yes

Gundark
Ick !

I agree.

Do you like flavored coffees ?

silver_tears
OMG French Vanilla is heavenly love

HockeyHorror
i love Armenian tea. smile

Korri
Tea eek!

Gundark
Hazelnut.

Swiss Mocha Almond.

My other half doesn't drink coffee so I only make a 4 or 5 cup pot on the weekends.

But we drink tea quite a bit.

Korri
i love all tea...it makes me high!

Gundark
I prefer Earl Grey myself.

Korri
it has to have lots off sugar in it

rusky
I love tea, with lots of sugar and lemon but no milk..
I really don't care much for how it's made as long as the tea bag doesn't spend too much time in the cup, cos' it tends to get a sorrow taste..

Pingu
Indeed! I'm well into Toffee Moccacino flavoured at the moment big grin

ash007
well i just use a kettle not a teapot
first i put the teabag in the mug
add suger
add a tiny amount of milk to cover the teabag
then i add the hot water
i stir three times clockwise then three times anticlockwise
i then remove the teabag

and that what you call a nice cup of tea which i am drink right now stick out tongue

Corran
OK, OK, I like coffee but this is a tea thread feel free to open a coffee thread, and in my opinion Hazelnut coffee is the best.

deegr8rebel
tEA AINT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! Only lipton shitz is good rock

Gundark
Ooooo.....hazelnut is my favorite !!

Phoenix
well I prefer hot chocolate... big grin

Phoenix
I'm never precise about stuff tho... just shove in the coffe beans/choc powder/ tea bag, then hot water, then milk

Corran
Phoenix, it's never that simple. Precision is important

Phoenix
I'm a shover by nature big grin

Corran
Well I suppose being a shover is better than being a pusher cos a pusher's a jerk.

Phoenix
big grin

I'm special!

heehee, a special shover!

alliteration is fun...

*everyone stares*

I'm going to hide now...

Corran
no

Phoenix
big grin

pixie1
in my house we have opinionated tea and the tea bag goes in first ( with the sugar if needed )then the hot water then you stur it 3 times clockwise add the milk them stur it 5 time anti clockwise to give it an opinion

Gundark
Well I do let the water boil at least 3 minutes after it comes to a boil.

pixie1
have you noyiced that elecic kettles never boil water propperly

Gundark
Well we have a gas stove so things boil quite nicely.

julibug
Well, I'm in the southern U.S., so I'm quite sure my tea wouldn't measure up to European standards! stick out tongue roll eyes (sarcastic) However, I never make tea by the mug. I make a pitcher. I just boil the water in a pot - don't have a kettle. Once the water's boiling, I remove it from the flame and put in the tea bags. I let them steep for about 2 or 3 minutes & remove them. Then I pour the liquid into the pitcher & add the rest of the water. I can drink my tea sweet or unsweet, so I usually don't sweeten it. That way anyone else drinking it can sweeten just their glass. The thing is, we drink it cold, not hot. Now, sometimes I make raspberry or peach tea, and that is sweetened already, so that's ok. One of my favorites is Oolong tea. I usually mix it with regular tea, and sometimes I mix in some green tea or jasmine tea. I like a flowery taste, but not too strong. I know, I know, it's probably not the way tea was intended to be made, but what can you expect? big grin

Corran
Heathen.

julibug
laughing out loud

pixie1
how can you drink tea cold ? wots the point of boilin the water? the english make the best tea(and i no coz my tea is wonderfull)
i met some one on msn who had to ask how you make a cup of tea (wot is the world comming to?)

julibug
The point of boiling the water is to get the tea to dissolve into the water from the tea bags. I'm guessing iced tea is a U.S. custom. Some people drink hot tea - especially in asian restaurants - but mostly it's iced tea here. One interesting thing about it is that sweet tea is popular in the southern states, while you don't hear of it much in the northern states.

Pingu
I dont mind fruit flavoured ice tea, I find it quite refreshing on hot sweaty summer days but normal tea cold???? Nah that'd be as bad as drinking it hot for me.

Corran
What do you know heathen?

Asami
First time I've read this. And that has got to be the most complicated way of making tea I've ever heard of!

Mug - chuck in the tea bag and sugar - pour in the hot water - add milk. Thats my cuppa!

pixie1
how can you make tea like that there is an art to the puuuurfect cuppa

Dogbert
LMAO, A thread about how to make tea thumb up
It is just as easy as flushing a toilet... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Chapel
this is the proper way of making tea and if your spending money on good tea or tea bags it deserves to be made properly.

however if you in a rush or cant be arsed and you making it in a cup you should put the milk after the tea has brewed or you have trouble getting the tea strong.

Asami
I buy Tesco's own brand. big grin

Corran
and make it how???

silver_tears
lets assume thats a skill you have roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dogbert
Yes, it is smart

pixie1
me to

julibug
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Corran
Do you chew the tea-bag that you have left in???

finti
tea is such a wuss drink, kind of limy big grinbig grin drunk

Corlindel
Tea!!! eek! I dont add milk to my preciousss tea. Adding milk is a sacrilege a profanation of my morocco's green or menta flavoured tea mad

burlyman
Tea - dash of milk, 2 sugars.
bag > water > brew > milk > sugar

Coffee - black, no additions.

yerssot
incidently I came across this, perhaps something for your birthday or so corran?:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0910479046/002-0503254-1444049?v=glance

Twin B!tch 1
hmm, tea bag>hot water>strain the bag> stir whist adding milk and sugar. Thats how i do it big grin

Asami
That's an idea I might try...

I take my coffee the same way as burlyman

Corran
That's what I do, except when I have Mocha.

Gundark
Did you know you're not supposed to squeeze the tea bag before you take it out of the cup ? It makes the tea bitter if you do.

There's the tip of the day from Gundy.

Corran
Thanks Mum. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.