Skiing vs Snowboarding

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Revan
So the other day I was up at Willamette Pass skiing and I was in the lodge having lunch and this lady behind me was talking about turning on skis vs turning on a snowboard. And she's like "Well on skis, it's just the slightest movement with your hips but on a snowboard it's a total shift of your weight." That made me mad. To start with, I am sure she had never skied in her life. If she had, she would know that you have to shift your weight around to turn on skis just as much as you do on a snowboard. The only difference is that it's from one foot to the other, rather than from your toe to your heel or vice versa. I haven't ever snowboarded, but I don't go around saying how easy it is. I'm not saying snowboarders are bad. Most of my friends snowboard rather than ski. I know this seems really random but I had to go tell somebody. Thanks for listening.

rusky
I kinda suck at skiing, so turning is sooo much easier for me on a snowboard, but had I known both just the same, perhaps I could make complete judgement here...

The thing is, turning on skiis requires a succesion of quick moves (lifting on ski, bringing the other around etc) while on a board, I find it easier because u don't have to worry about doing two separate moves.

About how easy it is, well, I can't argue either way.. I don't think it's easier one way or the other..

Darth Revan
I know that's my point
People shouldn't try to judge which is easier at all, especially without actually having done them both

§pearhead
I haven't snowboarded ever, and I'm not going to pretend like I know what I'm saying, but it seems like turning in snowboarding is kind of hard, because you can't really do very sharp turns or anything, while in skiing you have a somewhat less limited manueverability.

rusky
Actually, u can very well turn full 180 in one move on the board..

airangel429
I went skiing for the first time a few weeks ago...it was ok...but yes the turns are hard! I am considering learning to snowboard. My husband likes to snowboard so what the heck...I'll at least try.

Then I can be a cute snowboarder chick...like the ones on Amped 2!! hee hee!!!

rusky
hmmm love

airangel429
laughing out loud (well that's what he said I was when I was in my gear)

rusky
Can I see u in u'r gear ? whistle

airangel429
laughing out loud

rusky
Is that a no ? sad

airangel429
I dont have any piccies

rusky
Damn sad

Next time make some big grin

Darth Revan
It's weird I think skiing is one of those things that is harder to learn as you get older... I've been skiing since I was just a wee little lad and the turning feels really natural to me... This sounds stupid but I feel something like I'd expect a jedi to feel... Like something else is controlling me, like "the force is flowing through me"... confused

Fitch
I tried both...I remaind a passionate fan of snowboarding!I dunno why,I consider it more extreme,you can do whatever you head wants to,at skiing I couldn't.So I board every weekend I have the chance..

rusky
laughing out loud That's true for everything u get really good at.. yes

dragonpisces272
every december I go to Nevada for some 'snow fun'. Ive tried skiing and snowboarding. In skiing, its very easy to just ride down in a straight line, but hecka hard to turn. Sometimes when you go down the slope your skiis get stuck together in the front, making and X shape. When I reached the bottom, I tried to do what those people do, where they do a sharp turn to the side and spray snow on people. But I stopped short and tumbled doowwwnn. When I tried snowboarding, it was also somewhat difficult, but more enjoyable. It feels just like a skateboard and you could do sick moves on it. I dunno, I feel more comfortable with the snowboard smile

forumcrew
im a die hard snowboarder.. i was up in canada for a few weeks this winter.. ive been doing it a long time.. and i will admit that from my experience and a lot of others this is the case:
Skiing is easier to learn bottom line
but skiing is harder to master..

but it still just isnt as cool lol

sexybeast99
I love snow boarding!!!! but skiing is alrite 2!!!!!

dragonpisces272
forumcrew>you are so right!! Skiing was hecka easier to learn but snowboarding is more thrilling

Barf Heaven
Skiing is just as "thrilling" as snowboarding when you get good enough to go really really really fast without feeling like you're gonna kill yourself cool

Snowboarding is cool but what really irritates me is when some guy who thinks he's all cool cos he snowboards but actually has no idea what he's doing just goes straight down the hill at like 30 mph and damn near takes you out because he's going so fast he can't turn
That happened to me a couple weeks ago I was going pretty fast and I was about 4 feet away from this built-up embankment of snow then some idiot comes up behind me going waay too freakin fast and goes between me and the bank thing he damn near took me out
So as long as snowboarders don't do that snowboarding is cool

rusky
I actually love going really fast with my board...
And, usually, I manage to avoid the skiers that manage to get in front of me big grin

Barf Heaven
Like I said, I don't mind good snowboarders, it's the guys who think they're all "cool" but have no idea what they're doing who get on my nerves yes And the ones who fall down every five seconds, they're arguably even worse

rusky
Well...everybody needs some time to learn new things..

Darth Revan
Yeah, but in the meantime, they should stick to the bunny slope roll eyes (sarcastic) wink

That's what the beginning skiiers do

rusky
It might sound weird, but when I was learning on the bunny slope, I kept knocking people over, and they kept shouting shit at me, so I just left..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.