The Illustrated Star Wars Universe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Captain REX
Has anyone ever read this book or even looked inside it? It's a great book. I went to my local Borders and read a few pages.
It's about anthropologists and naturalists of the Star Wars universe that researched the major planets of the Star Wars movies.

Hoole: Senior Anthropologist
Species: Shi'ido
Studied: Tatooine
Summary: Hoole has written a report about the planet Tatooine. He is a shape-shifter who can infiltrate alien cultures and gathers data for planetary guides.
Comments: Hoole writes about the cultures mainly. He walks around Mos Eisley, sneaks into a Tusken Raider camp, explores Jabba's Palace & studies the B'ommar Monks, and makes friends with the Jawas.

Halka Four-Den: Old Republic Research Scientist
Species: Human
Studied: Dagobah
Halka was a scientist who led a scientific expedition to the planet Dagobah. She was in command of the research team, conducting the survey of the planet. Her notes were lost during the Emperor's rule, and have only recently been uncovered.
Comments: Halka says a few paragraphs about a "little, wrinkled green creature" that avoided capture by doing amazing acrobatics and running off into the swamps. Most of the research is about the wildlife, the plants, and the climate.

Pollux Hax: Chief of the Emperor's Propaganda Dissemination Section
Species: Humanoid
Studied: Coruscant
Hax has written a report about Imperial Center, which was also called the planet Coruscant. His report was used to provide the Emperor with a better understanding of his subjects, and Hax was proud to do his job.
Comments: Mostly, Hax speaks off the Imperial Palace, the transportation, the skyways, and the lower levels. I didn't read much about this.

Major Kem Monnon: Chief of the Rebel Alliance Corps of Engineers
Studied: Hoth
Kem Monnon was the man responsible for setting up the Echo Base on the planet Hoth. Despite the harsh conditions, he was able to establish the hidden Rebel base.
Comments: This was one of the most interesting parts. It goes in depth about the creation of Echo Base, the wildlife, and the natural creations (and disasters). It talks about where the taun-tauns feed and the machine the hollowed out the icy tunnels of the base.

Sergeant Philbee Jhorn: Imperial Records Officer
Studied: Endor
Jhorn was an Imperial lackey in the Office of Records. He was sent to the forest moon of planet Endor after the first team turned in an unsatisfactory report. Feeling unqualified, Jhorn protested his assignment, but he had no choice but to travel to the forest moon. Jhorn was later assigned orbital duty on Coruscant, and then custodial duty on Tatooine.
Comments: This was one of my three favorite parts (Bespin, Endor, & Alderaan). It talked about the three civilizations: the Ewoks, the Yuzzums, and the Marauders. For the Ewoks, it talked about where they thrived, what they hunted, and what they were hunted by. For the Yuzzums, I only read that they live close to the ground and that they are tall and spindly and hunt through the tall grasses. I read the most about the Marauders. It tells how they used to be one of the greatest space pirate organizations, until they crash a stolen ship onto Endor, for they aren't the best of pilots. Jhorn is taken captive by the Marauders, and sees that they would be a good ally to the Empire.

I'll post the other three people later. Hopefully I'll buy the book tomorrow.

Captain REX
BTW, all of the reports in the book are based on Ralph McQuarrie concept art.

Captain REX
Hello? Anyone care to post here?

LanceWindu
So all it is is boring scientific stuff?

Captain REX
Yes, but it is quite interesting. They do Tatooine, Hoth, Endor, Bespin, Yavin IV, and Alderaan. The reports on Endor, Bespin, and Alderaan are my favorite, but all of them have excellent art by Ralph McQuarrie. All the art is concept art from when Ralph was working on the OT.

Captain REX
Why isnt' Ralph doing the art now? Did he die or something?

LanceWindu
Or maybe he just likes his original art best.

Captain REX
Anyway, it's a good book. My dad is supposed to get back from church in about 30 minutes. Then we're going to Borders to buy it.

Julie
So did you get it....something tells me that eventually you'll have the entire book written here smile

BTW Hoole was also featured in the Star Wars Galaxy of Fear kiddie books.........they're ok but not worth the time to read.....

Captain REX
I know where Hoole's from. I own #11 and read #1 and #2.

LanceWindu
Never heard of that series, probably because it isn't listed on the SW timeline.

Captain REX
It isn't, but it's during the time of the Empire vs. Rebellion. The OT era, only in EU.

Julie
Like I said not important books at all.......ok but there are lots of other SW books out there that I'm sure are more worth the time spent reading them.

Captain REX
I finished ready Endor a few days ago. I just like looking at the spetacular concept art by Ralph McQuarrie. I think he's dead now. I saw a picture of him a few years ago, and he looked really, really old.

Julie
Age matters not.....ok so maybe it matters just a little. So, how's the book now????

Captain REX
It's great. I like the section on Alderaan. They have smogless skies, floating hotels (they look like blimps combined with Rebel transports), underground cities sealed with transparasteel to keep the smog from going to the sky, Aldera the capital is on an island in the middle of a river. It's just so cool looking at this stuff.

Julie
How old is the book???...just out of curiosity

Captain REX
My copy was published in Oct. 1997. Written by Kevin J. Anderson, one of the greatest Star Wars authors. He wrote stories to go with the pictures and concept art. Ralph McQuarrie did a picture for Dagobah of a swamp slug fighting a dragonsnake (the thing that swallowed R2), and KJA wrote up a story to go with it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.