Is Die Another Day Any Good

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

adz23
IS DIE ANOTHER DAY ANT GOOD

after watching die another day i thought that the script was a bit dodgy what do u think.......

Happy Dance

Evy_O
Why so, I liked it big grin

yerssot
wow, we discussed DaD so many times already messed

ok... keeping it short:

nice track, nice start
terrible car, equally terrible Jinx, story about genetherapy was too farfetched (but not in the future I guess), weapon was yet again too dull (and overly done)

adz23
I DIDNT LIKE JAMES BOND 20 THAT MUCH sad sad

Evy_O
How about... giving us your reasons eek!
please don't say you didn't like Halle Berry and the theme song either cry

adz23
OK MY REASONS ARE
1 THE SCRIPT WAS CRAP
2 THE ENDING WAS CORNEY
3 THE BAD GUY WAS BORING
4 THERE WAS NO REAL DANGER

SHOULD I CARRY ON.... cool

<<Solo>>
The Catch Lines also sucked. The Best Bond was Goldeneye and I think we can all agree upon that.

yerssot
Goldeneye just marked the return of good bonds stick out tongue

script was bondlike, bit too weird
ending was ... like always
bad guy boring? what you think of goldfinger than? a big fat guy and he's not boring!
no real danger? saw the weapon they used?

Evy_O
1. The script was cool cool
2. Hey, the ending was good, I liked that cute house happy
3. Which of the bad guys? And why boring? messed
4. There was!
5. Why do you write in caps, it's annoying stick out tongue

And yes, carry on smokin'

yerssot
don't mind evy, she loves the movie stick out tongue

Evy_O
my opinion is purely objective... yes

ok maybe not stick out tongue

yerssot
it's not terrible... I'll agree on that

Red Superfly
I like the film, don't get me wrong, it's a good film.

But like I've said so many times before, the car was dumb. The song, although it grew on me, didn't "feel" like a Bond song, but I guess with time it could become a staple of the series.

The opening sequence = GREAT! The best bit of the movie is right at the start, where Bond is shown as the human being he really is, and it keeps the story flowing through the beautiful credits.

What's with the stupid CG bullet that flies into the screen at the Bond "walk-and-shoot" intro? NO!

Halle Berry is OK, it's just that she plays an annoying character. She's OK I guess.

I actually liked Gustav Graves as the baddie, but I thought the whole "I'm actually Korean under gene-therapy" was stupid. I would have preffered to him being a millionaire British nutcase.

yerssot
oh yeah, you won't find many people actually liking the car! I mean, the vanquish is a nice looking car, but the VANISH... BLEURGH!

the bullet at the intro didn't really bother me that much, it's of course a classic that they changed, but almost no one complains about Dr No where it's not Sean Connery that does the walking and shooting ...

and believe me, it's not only an annoying character Halle plays, she also is terrible at acting it out! she runs around almost forgetting she has a gun in her hands! (granted, she can't help about her character being so retardedly dumb and pathetic for an agent)

I think the mainproblem with the gene-therapy thing here is that it's too futuristic, no one wants to believe that it can happen (if)
yes, perhaps a nutcase would have been better, but how to wrap it up with the opening sequence? he was the bastard son of that guy?

Red Superfly
I only meant it as a possible plot alternative. You could have just had that general guy in league with Graves because Bond killed his son and wants revenge. Simple. That and the diamond stuff. No gene-thereapy nonsense needed.

The bullet didn't bug me initially. The more I thought about it, the more it bugged me though.

I didn't think Halle Berry was convincing as a freakin' equal to Bond. As a Bond girl, yeah, fine, but she was so unconvincing as a secret agent that was supposed to know what she was doing.

Whats with Halle Berry and the "cat" roles anyway. First "Jinx" is a name you'd give a cat (or cat food even) and now Catwoman? Just an observation.

The car was rediculous though. A car that turned into a plane would be more believable. Heck, even a car that turned into a robot would be more believable than an invisible car.

That sort of stuff belongs in sci-fi stuff like Metal Gear Solid or something, not James Bond.

yerssot
yeah, perhaps an alternative would have been better, would give it more credibility...

I never thought of the bullet actually, so guess I couldn't care less big grin

in my opinion, Jinx was nothing more than a stuck-up bondgirl, if people want someone with more input in the story, Christmas Jones at least tried to have it laughing out loud

adz23
I LIKE THE CAR THE VANISH WOOO

The Redeemer
DAD is not the worst of the Brosnan Bonds. That turkey award would have to go to THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH which is THE worst Bond. Ever. sad

The first hour or so was watchable pap - nothing special but entertaining - the second hour or so went downhill rather rapidly. A note to the Bond franchise...

REVAMP THE ENTIRE SERIES!!! yes

The Redeemer
Oh, yeah? GOLDENEYE the best? mad Speak for youself, S! stick out tongue

yerssot
you looked at the story??? I looked at Christmas big grin

oh well, by now you should know that Bond-movies don't excell in good stories
but the girl being the bad one while Bond didn't expect it was quite nice... only a retarded enemy but heck big grin

Red Superfly
Well, I'd agree that Jinx was a stuck up Bond girl, but Christmas Jones has to be the most stuck up Bond girl I have ever seen (Frost doesn't count because she's not the Bond "girl"wink

yerssot
she and Goodhead at least were doctors wink

adz23
someone just said that the world is not enough is the worst bond
was never say never again dodgy it was poo

bond could have had enything and he chose a danse gay or wat.....

The Redeemer
WTF? What the f**k?

yerssot
do go on messed

The Redeemer
no

yerssot
I want to know what the poster ment

The Redeemer
So do I!!!!! confused

yerssot
that's why I posted that stick out tongue

The Redeemer
What the f**k?

yerssot
this:

glaurung
Worst Bond's :

3. The World is not Enough
2. Never Say Never Again
1. A View to a Kill

Actually dependant on how i feel those could switch round, but each of them is an abomination.

yerssot
and could you expand on that?

The Redeemer
Nah mate, you're way off course...

3: GOLDENEYE
2: GOLDENEYE
1: GOLDENEYE

yerssot
you really want to get the 20 Bond VIDEOS thrown to your head?

The Redeemer
It's the digital age, Y!!!!!! That's DISC!!!!! VIDEO is so.......*sigh*

yerssot
it's heavier

The Redeemer
embarrasment

Evy_O
I liked The World is not Enough and Never Say Never Again big grin
A View to Kill wasn't bad also

Discos
its a bit weird of a plot.....a former north korean transforms into a billionaire and uses a satellite to destroy things

sounds like they had to refer back to a similar Goldeneye plot (quite a awesome plot might I add),

This particular bond film but the others to shame with one fault....too many bloody high-tech equipment, invisible cars and Nasa space units attached inside surf boards roll eyes (sarcastic)

Discos - wise up

yerssot
he even became a billionaire in a few years time

Evy_O
laughing out loud well yeah these were a little bit over the top messed

JackMode211
die another day was tight.....good movie decent villans and a great car....even tho i loved each and every one of the bmw's and the bullet in the biggining.....big ****in deal...they changed it once.....WOW...the movie is ruined.....and you call yourselves bond fans....my ass...

EllaMarie
I have to say it....

Thanks to The Redeemer and Yerssot for the comical exchange on page 2 of this thread (video versus discs....). laughing out loud big grin wink

I had a rough day today and it was just the humour I needed - almost like a Dilbert cartoon (do you get that in your part of the world? I feel so disconnected being North American!)

BTW, every Bond film has its merit and its pitfalls - just some have more than others. I think it's amazing how LONG the franchise has been able to cater to so many different tastes.

Now was that diplomatic and non-commital or what! stick out tongue

Okay - A View To A Kill is my least favourite - and I've never cared for Timothy Dalton in ANYTHING he's done. yucky

(I liked Duran Duran until then too!)

Die Another Day is better than AVTAK and better than Never Say Never Again, IMHO. The eye candy of JB always helps the story. wink

Evy_O
two who liked DAD, we're getting there happy

actually you'd better watch your language roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
seriously EM... Never Say Never Again is not canon big grin

I know Dilbert, but never saw an episode of it, which isn't that hard I think.

Of course every movie has its good and bad sides ... but stuff like the invicible car in DaD was just such a huge bad side it overshadows the good sides (like the almost excellent pre-title sequence, it was very Bond like)

and when you see it ... it's almost the same story everytime but they can still make a good movie out of it!

Reborn Again
DAD is satisfactory, but yet again...it has an FORGETTABLE super villain. Also, the one liners weren't that impressive. The most prominent one liner is from a secondary villain, Mr. Kill.

"I'm Mr. Kill."
"Where there's a name to die for."

John Cleese was the perfect replacement for Q.

"Here's the manual. You should be able to shoot through that in a couple of hours. (Regarding Bond's new car.)
Bond throws the manual into the air and the self-targeting machine guns on the car destroy it.
"Just took a few seconds, Q."
The look on John Cleese's face is priceless. "I wish I could make you disappear."

yerssot
well, I always had the hope they never had to replace Desmond sad

about the quotes:
James Bond: You know, you're cleverer than you look.
Q: Still, better than looking cleverer than you are.

Miranda Frost: I know all about you - sex for dinner, death for breakfast.

or

James Bond: Saved by the bell.

Raul: One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

James Bond: So you live to die another day. (my personal favorite)

Q: There's always an excuse, isn't there Double-0-Zero?

see! some good quotes big grin
but yeah, stupid super villain to say the least

EllaMarie
I think people often like or hate a movie - a Bond movie - depending on what "frame of reference" they happen to be in at the time of viewing. I remember loving stuff 10 years ago that I cannot imagine WHY I would watch them now. Maybe that's a factor??

Reborn Again
You have a very good point, EllaMarie. A state of mind is very important. I remember hating TND in the theatres and now I think it's one of the most enjoyable Bond films ever. Elliott Carver is one of my fav Bond villains.

Evy_O
Yeah you have a point, but that depends on the person's age messed 10 years ago I had never heard of Bond stick out tongue Perhaps there will be a day 10 years later that I will love OHMSS and hate DAD eek!

yerssot
that's easy, evy, ten years ago you didn't exist eek! wink

I agree with EM and AR big grin I disliked TND but I like it now messed though that still hasn't happened for DaD (yet)
though I do admit it has a great pre-title sequence

Reborn Again
DAD has a FORGETTABLE major villain as does all of Pierce's Bond's, however they do have good pre-title sequences.

yerssot
that's cause Carver was a "real life" threat but was just a weak miserable man

EllaMarie
I think some movies need to be WATCHED a few times too - sometimes a movie is very entertaining the first time around and there are a few glitches in the plot or other areas that you can ignore....

And then you watch it a second time and they are more obvious...

And by the third time they are downright irritating and stupid so you're wondering how you could have liked it in the first place (other than for the hero/heroine).

And THEN - there are movies you appreciate all the more when you watch them again, and again - for me that would be the LOTR movies because there are so many details you can miss the first time around.

THAT SAID - has anyone out there come to love or hate "Die Another Day" after seeing it more than once - and why?

Reborn Again
I'll avoid it when I have my annual James Bond movie marathon this year. Once a year I choose a weekend and watch nothing by Bond films. When I can, I get some friends over to watch too.

Happy Dance

I'm having it next month.

The Redeemer
DAD is like everything else post LTK...varying degrees of embarrassment and utter and complete crap...

Reborn Again
I never said it was crap. All I think is that the main villain is weak! And the scene with Bond on the surf reminds me of the Mummy Returns during the scene with the Scorpion King in his private cavern when we see "The Rock's" badly CGI'ed face. They could have CGI'ed that Bond scene better.

yerssot
I absolutely loathed it the first time, now I just strongly dislike it big grin

cause I saw it a couple of times

Evy_O
And the disappearing car was stupid, and the gene idea, blah blah blah, ok it had it's flaws, but overall it was nice big grin The villain was kind of silly yes, not at all imposing or frightening messed

you're just jealous of my youth Happy Dance

yerssot
actually I am yes sad

my problem with DaD is that the bad points still annoy me a lot

EllaMarie
Watched DAD too many times, yerssot?

yerssot
no... three times stick out tongue

EllaMarie
And by your dislike of it, I would say three times was "too many" roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
no, one time was to see the movie, two was too many wink
but I promise I'll see it again smile

The Redeemer
I saw it once... sick

yerssot
oh come on TR, you have to give every movie at least a second chance

Evy_O
traitor sad

yerssot
hey, for TR that's a lot already wink

Evy_O
I saw it more stick out tongue

yerssot
no kidding, you're the only one that thought it was so good stick out tongue

@F1
Pierce Brosnan is a really good 007, this was his weakest Bond movie, Golden Eye is my Fav.

yerssot
it's mine too wink

Evy_O
It's not the weakest Bond Movie ever! C'mon... this is OHMSS! crybaby

I'm the only one with a little bit of taste in this place stick out tongue

yerssot
well, I wouldn't say DaD is the worse, indeed, I'm not keen on saying a movie is terrible

Evy_O
You have to be kidding! You think it was worse than OHMSS and DaF??

yerssot
I didn't messed ... I said I didn't like saying a movie is bad stick out tongue

Evy_O
ok, why don't I believe that? eek!

yerssot
cause you saw what I said about Troy stick out tongue

but really, I don't like DaD but wouldn't say it was ...bad messed

Evy_O
exactly, Troy was what I had in mind wink
of course you wouldn't say... at least not when I'm present, I'm very... enthusiastic over this matter evil face

it was good happy

yerssot
oh no, I have no problem saying in your face that I didn't like it stick out tongue

Discos
lol cheeky,

anyways, it was a good film but a weird plot in a sense, no need for the face changes and whatnot

so was Gustav actually a person, or did the north korean dude kill him and take over his shit by impersonating him - never got that point cleared

yerssot
well, you got that north korean dude, he went also to that place in Cuba to get a genetherapy and became GG.

Discos
I knew that fool

Gustav Graves, he went to Harvard...that couldnt of been the North Korean dude at that point

also dont ya think with him being a word famous guy that "someone" would check up and see if he had a file ie which school he went to embarrasment

yerssot
it was though, he says:
"I majored in western hypocracy" (sp) wink

and yes, they did, Bond even asks that and M says he's clean, even gave a short briefing of his life

Discos
thats right *ponders in despair*

but how the hell did he do all that in the 14months he was gone

there must of been a Gutave Graves BEFORE the korean guy killed him or something

yerssot
he made up parts of his story, if I'm not mistaken he was in argentina or something? he faked that part I guess

Discos
ah ok, so its merely a guess

Discos - cheers anyways

yerssot
ask people who know the movie better... that's evy and only her stick out tongue

Evy_O
yes! ask me! big grin what's the question huh

yerssot
Graves his history, but I saw the movie a few days ago...

his story is:
was an orphan working in the mines of Argentina where he learned the profession than found a mine on Iceland ... period

Tthe Almighty
Die another day was different but far fetched at times like all of the bond films but thats what makes so good

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.