Did you build your current computer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Linkalicious
Did you build your current computer? Or did you buy it off of one of the many providers? (ex. Gateway, Dell, Hewlitt Packard)

I only ask because I just went out last night and bought all of the pieces to build a computer and it's my first one. I've put in sound cards, memory, ethernet cards, and a rewriteable DVD drive before, so I thought putting together a whole PC wouldn't be extremely difficult. I have run into a few speed bumps, but all together, I'm doing pretty well for myself.

Also I created this thread in case I get stuck later today when I'm putting it together...hopefully someone will be able to help me out a bit.

mors823
My dad put together the comp i'm using now. It seems to be working fine. Faster than our pre-built one.

Clovie
same here

BadBabe
i help put mine together but my friend did most of the work geekhe enjoyed it what a nerd

Linkalicious
I think building a computer would put you more on the intellect side...

if you know what happened in episode 123 of Star Trek...then you are officially a nerd.

Clovie
what happened in 123 episode?

i think i watched one or two....

The Ones
i built my computer from scrap , i named it windows 3000, i put in cd rewriter's, dvd players and recorders andit puts broadband to shame

Linkalicious
what are the specs on yours? I coulda spent more on mine but right now i'm only about $1100 in the hole.

realworlddreams
well...i spent $500 on a base system (Atlon XP 2000+ w/a cd-rw n a 17" monitor n a 40 GB hd) n i dropped in, lets see a 128 mb graphics card, a dvd-rom, a 160 gb hd, i spent $30 cutting a window n putting in internal lighting and another fan...i have grill lighting...uh..yeah...so its resale value is around $1500 now...but im not gonna sell it anyway...
im gonna buy a new motherboard, CPU and case, and transfer all the rest over into it, n have a kick @$$ supercomputer.

nazgulinthedark
i bought mine, well actually my parents did

LoneWolf
I didn't build mine myself, it was built buy a mate of my brothers yes

HockeyHorror
i got my comp from ebay. its an amd athlon 3200.

great comp but i gotta get a new hardrive.

MC Mike
I built mine and the one before it... this new one took me about half an hour. cool It cost ne $1500 - Radeon 9800 Pro, 17" LCD Sony Monitor, 100 GB Harddrive, 1GB RAM, Powerful Speakers and Subwoofer, CDRW Ultra Speed, and 3.06 GHz! eek!

§pearhead
Me? Build something?

I used to botch Lego jobs back in the day laughing out loud

Dvae
i had to build this computer from leaves, some mud, and a used-up toothpaste holder

big grin works just fine though

mailedbypostman
I bought it. LOL i remember this thread on another forum on how to build a computer lol.
http://www.blizzforums.com/showthread.php?t=38548&highlight=build+computer+LOL

Linkalicious
man i'm sooo stuck. I got the 4 pin and 20 pin connectors going to the mother board...i'm pretty sure i have everything connected correctly except i have these controls to adjust the speed of the cooling fans that i can't understand how to hook up, and when i plug it in, no power is running throught the system...it sucks!

mailedbypostman
Not good.

realworlddreams
u sure the power supply is plugged in? as for the fan controllers, use a four pin connector from the power supply to power that, n then plug the fans into it...

recheck the connections on EVERYTHING if u dont have power...cuz u might, n not jsu have one thing plugged in preventing the circuit to be incomplete.

Linkalicious
yeah i know that much....i don't think the 12 pronged plug has any practical use for normal computer usage.

It'd be a lot nicer if the Comp Case came with decent instructions for all of the connections but instead it says to refer to the mother boards instructions. sad

I have 6 of those 4 pinned power supply cords. i need one for the cd-rom, 1 for the hard drive, and one for the floppy. oh and one for the graphics card.

That leaves me with 2 for 6...maybe...7 fans, but i have connectors on each fan. So will one 4 pinned power cord be able to route the power to all 6/7 fans?

yerssot
of course you have to build your own pc, those you get in the shop are just awfully bad

realworlddreams
this is my PC...as you can see...it doesnt look like a factory built anymore...cuz i dont consider it one anymore...

realworlddreams
thats the darkness pic...

realworlddreams
n the front grill

crazy_c
My brother built my computer. He's an engineer or something like that

Linkalicious
ok now i need different help.

this weekend i got my OS installed and all of my drivers are installed too, but for some reason i can't connect to the internet and i don't have sound.

It's really starting to piss me off...

$¥®€Ñ
The mind boggles..........

yerssot
sure your sound is set for the OS? my friend didn't bother to check and got stuck with that problem

and net ... can be a lot of things

MythBlazer
yup i built my piece of shit computer on my own
oh i hate this thing miffed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.