Who Likes "Licence To Kill"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Viccool
Any Body

yerssot
it's ok-ish

The Redeemer
I do. Less stupid humour...less stupid effects...better story...better nastier villains...better hard edged violence...

And a fairly decent cast for once...Robert Davi...Anthony Zerbe...Benicio Del Torro...Cary Lowell...and the return of the REAL Felix Leiter. cool

The Redeemer rates ALTK a fairly respectable 7/10. rock

yerssot
technically Jack Lord is that stick out tongue (Dr No)

I see you didn't mention Timothy Dalton??

The Redeemer
Nah. David Hedson IS Felix Leiter!!

Timothy who??? sick

yerssot
hey come on! Dalton had to give Bond the fresh new start after Moore killed it off!

A Talking Dog
its the only bond film which doesn't feel like a bond film, but instead feels like a cross between a rejected version of die hard, mixed with a Joel Schumacher movie.

yerssot
ever saw On Her Majesties Secret Service?

The Redeemer
Or GOLDENEYE? evil face

yerssot
but everyone likes that one wink

The Redeemer
There's no accounting for taste! sad

yerssot
there is ... my taste is the best wink

lydeea2004
I like License ( or Licence)To Kill. I think that Timothy Dalton got a bum rap. He wasn't out of favor with the producer's family, as he was one of the pallbearers at Cubby Broccolli's funeral. I don't think any other of the actors that portrayed Bond did that. Actually, both of Dalton's movies were strangely contemporary, especially The Living Daylights. If LTK had come out in October of 1989 instead of the summer, it would have coincided with the real ouster of Noriega in Panama, who the Robert Davi character seemed to be patterned after. In the Living Daylights Bond helps the Mujahadin; if they did a Bond film now in Afghanistan the character might be fighting the Cameron Shah character instead of helping him.

Evy_O
^ you seem to know a lot about Bond eek!

Ok, so, which is this the one with Mariam Dabbo (spelling? messed) and Timothy Dalton?
I don't remember embarrasment

yerssot
that's the trick with older movies huh? knowing what exactly happens around them that makes them do that movie.

Moonraker's scene where they shoot in space and such is just because Star Wars two years earlier was a hit, knowing that you get why they were keen to do that

The Redeemer
THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS yes Utter crap, BTW! stick out tongue

Evy_O
Awwww, why, I enjoyed it stick out tongue

lydeea2004
I have liked the James Bond series since I was old enough to see movies
with "mature" themes. I've seen all of them, with the exception of "Never Say Never Again," which I can't get interested in, and I've just seen bits and pieces of "Golden Eye." We all have our favorites, obviously, based on our own interests and opinions of what makes a good movie. I remember that "License To Kill" was criticized because it was too realistic, and the Roger Moore movies got too "cartoonish." I like the Living Daylights, I think that you could substitute any of the other "Bonds" into it, and it would have maintained its integrity. It was creative, had the typical "Bond" off the walls stuff, like sledding on the snow on a viola case, also had the requisite megalomaniac, and psycho henchman. "License To Kill" also had the megalomaniac(Robert Davi)
and psycho killer(Benicio Del Toro{sp?}) It was rather dark, which is why I think some people didn't like it. Bond always had gruesome stuff, like feeding people to piranhas, but usually wasn't graphic and usually had some black humor( the first tongue in cheek "Bondism" I remember was George Lazenby, when one of the bad guys was run over by a snow machine, when he nonchalantly replied "He had alot of guts."wink Roger Moore was the best at the tongue and cheek stuff, I think, because he delivered lines with a twinkle in his eye. Connery did it well, too, but he said it just like he would say "how do you do?" (best ex: scene where he was trapped on dance floor by evil Bond woman, and she was trying to set him up so the henchmen could shoot him-of course, he managed to get her in the line of fire, and when he was leaving the dance floor with her limp, lifeless body, he told another tourist that she was "dead on her feet"wink I think that was one of the things that Timothy Dalton did not do as well, but he did not get very much time to practice it either. I haven't really gotten to see Pierce Brosnan enough, but I think he comes off as rather wry.

Also, Evy, is that a Gaelic quote in your replies? cool

yerssot
to be nitpicker... connery said "She's just dead" and not "She's dead on her feet" wink

Well, I just liked the way connery said it; and I really believe that Moore made it worse with that "cartoonish" thing

Evy_O

VenomVA
I loved it!!!!

Evy_O
Let us know why big grin

yerssot
and step on it

Evy_O
we scared him/her away ninja

yerssot
or the poster is just barely active

The Redeemer
Unlike me!!! evil face

yerssot
or evy

The Redeemer
Or "Y"ou! cool

yerssot
clever TR... you should write Bonds lines wink

The Redeemer
As Richard Pryor says in SILVER STREAK..."We's aim to please!!!" big grin

yerssot
...said bond after shooting someone? wink

The Redeemer
reading

yerssot
see! you should do the writing

The Redeemer
yes

yerssot
I'll do the acting

The Redeemer
At least you'd be better than Orlando...... sick

yerssot
I almost feel honored, but its' not difficult

The Redeemer
laughing out loud

yerssot
but the looks eek!

Reborn Again
Who liked Licence to Kill? was the original question.

My answer:

I do! Not one of the best Bond's produced, but certainly one of the best written. And it draws back to classic Bond where Bond engages in dark and sinister devices, this time against a world-wide drug cartel. Sanchez is the perfect Bond villain. He's egotistic, ruthless, self-centered and greedy. All the elements that make the perfect Bond villain. And I enjoyed the scenes with Wayne Newton as Prof. Joe Butcher.

FYI fact: Wayne Newton practically begged to be in the film. He had been a fan of the James Bond films for as long as he could remember. In the Behind-the-scenes featurette on the DVD, he says exactly that.

yerssot
hmmm, but bond and drugs... it's a bit weird

The Redeemer
Not quite, Y! The poppy fields in LALD were full of them!!! wink

yerssot
they were poppies, not drugs happy wink

The Redeemer
So Mr Big would have you beleive! wink

yerssot
he was always full of bull wink

The Redeemer
That's Torro! big grin

yerssot
and Scaramanga wink

The Redeemer
Nice one!!! yes

yerssot
with only one shot TR wink

The Redeemer
And worth a million quid... rock

yerssot
I wonder how much the bullets cost

The Redeemer
Well...they ARE gold...so quite expensive I would imagine!

yerssot
and only what? 5 or 6 at a time?

The Redeemer
I think they came in a pack of twenty! wink

yerssot
21 in 2005 even stick out tongue

The Redeemer
You lost me there, old boy! sad

yerssot
you said in a package of 20... as in... there are 20 bond movies

The Redeemer
I was refering to a pack of cigarettes, Y. As in the Bottoms Up club where Ms Anders collected them. big grin

yerssot
I don't smoke, so I couldn't know stick out tongue

Evy_O
Reborn Again> I agree about Sanchez, I liked him as the bad guy big grin

Smoking: nono

yerssot
Bond smokes stick out tongue

The Redeemer
and he's still the same age as he was in '62...wonderful thing those ciggies... eek!

yerssot
it's the cig taht does it??? darn it! *throws away wodka-martini, shaken not stirred of course*

Evy_O
Bond is so naughty stick out tongue

yerssot
the lucky sonnamabitch

Evy_O
no, bondgirls are lucky stick out tongue

yerssot
to have a 50 year old?

Evy_O
THAT 50 year old?

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~prospero/images/screenshot/twine2.jpg

YES!!! big grin

yerssot
and now he has to do his hair stick out tongue

Evy_O
like anyone cares stick out tongue

yerssot
I would! a bond with grey hair sad

Evy_O
I don't really mind shifty

yerssot
I would, but if he slipped me an early christmas I wouldn't mind

The Redeemer
C'mon, Y! He HAS been around since '62...!!! roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
but the wodka-Martinis make him young yes

The Redeemer
Nah...it's the brand he smokes...corporate greed...

yerssot
courtesy of universal exports wink

The Redeemer
Nice one, Y! rock

yerssot
I feel they should use that more often

The Redeemer
Nah...ACME would be better...just like in those old Road Runner cartoons..Meep!!! Meep!!!

yerssot
what could they export than? Dynamite?

The Redeemer
Or anything else Will E Coyote threw at him!!! yes

yerssot
and be known as a bad export-company? eek!

The Redeemer
Poor old Will E...WILL he ever catch that damn...er, what species IS a Road Runner? confused

yerssot
I know it in dutch... I think

have they ever shown the symbol of universal exports?

Discos
my opiniom, Timothy Dolton had the great appearence for a james bond but lacked as an actor and attitude....

License to Kill did suck and after waiting so long for Living Daylights to come out on DVD I was rather dissapointed with the actual film...

in logic, how about comparing Timothy with "actual" bond - sean connery.

Discos - has spoken,

Evy_O
Timothy Dalton was ok-ish imho, he just portrayed JB too seriously, hardly ever laughing messed JB is supposed to be a houmorous guy... but without overdoing it, like Roger Moore yes

Discos
lol roger was a class act though....

in britain the BBFC (i think), made it a 15 meaning only people 15 years or older could watch it....the only bond film to ever of done that, up till License to Kill they were all PG (parental guidence...bassically for anyone)

yerssot
well, imho, evy is right, Timothy played a very serious bond, icecold and all. And imo, that was desperatly needed after turning Bond into a rediculous comedy thanks (to some extend) to Roger Moore.

They all had their good points, but for Moore its harder to find them (and Lazenby)

The Redeemer
You are indeed right, D...and not only was LTK classified 15 but it was also cut...although the version now out on disc is totally uncut.

yerssot
what was cut out?
(sorry, but there is not a single dvd of the "oldies" out here)

The Redeemer
Talisa Sotto being whipped lost quite a bit...thankfully...Felix being fed to the shark...Anthony Zerbe's head exploding...and a bit of Robert Davi on fire...

They were only minor cuts mind, mere seconds...with the exception of the whipping...

yerssot
weird, I remember an explicit Felix being fed part messed

hmm, I'm almost up to Dalton in rewatching

The Redeemer
Is the Belgian version the same as the British BBFC one?

yerssot
we don't have a rating that's about people being 15 messed

it's "all", "12", "16" and 18" I think

The Redeemer
Then I doubt the version in Belgium was cut.

yerssot
dunno, they're never keen on showing such stuff here, but I'll rewatch it pretty soon and report in

Evy_O
yeah, I'm always right cool actually I DID like Dalton even though he was serious, and didn't really mind Moore big grin

it wasn't cut here either me thinks erm

yerssot
only in america and ireland than stick out tongue you twats

The Redeemer
Actually Ireland and Britian...the versions we get here are the same as Britian...seemingly the market here is too small to repress prints and put bits back in or even take bits out...the Irish film censor gave up cutting films twenty or more years ago...he realised it was a lost cause with the advent of video and satellite tv...now he just bans the odd extreme one just to justify his job...

yerssot
didn't want to generalise with Britain messed

Discos
erm, well i think its mainyldue to some swearing it became a "15"

Discos - he was simply too much pissed off

yerssot
not only that, but the feeding and the whip are pretty visual to be 12 (well, my rating)

Etrigan
It was so-so but the ninja fight was the stupidest thing ever to have happened in a bond film except for when he fought the Sumos in TMWTGG.

Clovie
it was depressing. those sharkes and everything

yerssot
Originally posted by Etrigan
It was so-so but the ninja fight was the stupidest thing ever to have happened in a bond film except for when he fought the Sumos in TMWTGG.
what about Bambi and Stamper?

Clovie
bambi? the disney's bambi? cry

yerssot
no blink

Clovie
i don't know other one

yerssot
DAF... Diamonds Are Forever... when Bond is going to find Whyte...

Clovie
i don't remember it.

yerssot
I can't blaim you

Clovie
tx

yerssot
but I can change that still cool

Clovie
no need for that stick out tongue

yerssot
I will cool

Clovie
don't bother yourself wink

yerssot
damn straight

Clovie
i know happy

yerssot
damn gay? eek!

Clovie
not me confused

yerssot
neither is LTK eek!

Clovie
coz it was taken away from him eek!

yerssot
but he got them right back eek!

Clovie
not that right...it took some time..(about almost whole movie that is)

yerssot
he took Sanchez pace wink

Clovie
what's that? huh

yerssot
coke stick out tongue

Clovie
and used it?

yerssot
but of course, at least his accomplice did

Clovie
who is that?

yerssot
Truman-Lodge

Clovie
and now in the way i'll understand

yerssot
which way?

Clovie
simplier one

yerssot
you liked him?

Clovie
bond? yes.
the other guy i'm not sure who is it

yerssot
the movie I ment stick out tongue

Clovie
oh... it was ok.

yerssot
just ok? cry

Clovie
very ok?

Reborn Again
Very controversial for 1989, but it's one my fav's. Lotsa action!

yerssot
and has the best theme of all: revenge

Clovie
but it is not a good reason.

yerssot
for a movie, it's perfect

Clovie
indeed. but for life it isn't

The Redeemer
Originally posted by yerssot
what about Bambi and Stamper?

laughing out loud Bambi and stamper??? Choice!!! big grin That's one to remember for future ref!!! I bow to your Bondian knowledge once again, old boy... evil face wink

yerssot
how come I suddenly am less sure that I named that girl right? confused

Reborn Again
It's Bambi and Thumper.

yerssot
hey, close enough for me wink

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>