NBA Championship

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

justinday15
Who will win the nba championship?

justinday15
I think the Kings and the Pacers are going to be in the finals and the Pacers are gonna win.

Myth
I'm not sure if it will happen but I want still want to see the T-Wolves win.

whatshisface
whoever goes in the finals, i'm pretty confident that the west is gonna take the championship...

Jeff_Atello
Dude, I already made this thread. Anyway, it's going to be San Antonio. Repeat city.

Jeff_Atello
Well, my poll already closed, so nm.

Myth
Your poll didn't have as good of options either.

Linkalicious
Lakers got this one...

justinday15
Well i gotta take the pacers cuz im from indiana and they got the best record in the nba.

justinday15
What will be the best matchup this weekend

Pacers vs. Celtics Wolves vs. Nuggets
Nets vs. Knicks Lakers vs. Rockets
Pistons vs. Bucks Spurs vs. Grizzlies
Heat vs. Hornets Kings vs. Mavs

ElectricBugaloo
The Pacers have no one to match up with the big men in the west; no matter which West team goes through

Myth
Yao vs Shaq is always fun to watch
but the best match up is probably Heat vs Hornets.

ElectricBugaloo
i think the best matchup is Kings vs Mavs

defense? what defense?

M® $¥®€Ñ
Shaq vs. Yao is not going to be the great match up we've seen this whole season. Shaq's game is elevated during the Playoffs and he'll prove to be the more dominant big man.

Jeff_Atello
Maybe. But that doesn't matter. If they get past Houston, they have to play San Antonio, and there's no way they're getting past the Spurs.

he best match-up will be Miami V. New Orleans. That's the only upset we're gonna see, with maybe the exception of Denver over Minnesota(but I doubt it.)

The NBA finals will be...........Detroit V. San Antonio, with San Antonio taking it in 5.

boxofdeath2.0
Whats good about this matchup? They are just a couple of spare Eastern Conference teams. Granted, the game tonite had some drama, but who really cares?

Dallas vs. Sacto is THE first-round matchup. 2 very evenly matched teams who both can shoot lights out on any given night. This is gonna be a series right here. Dallas in 6....

Myth
Its not that its the most cared about series, but Miami and New Orleans are the most equivelant teams making them the best match-up. Nobody cares about them but they will be exciting games because of how equal they are.

Jeff_Atello
Miami is playing really well. I don't think New Orleans can bring it back.

Dallas V. Sacramento is annoying because I hate Mark Cuban. I'd rather watch New Jersey V. New York.

Myth
How can you hate Cuban? He is the best owner in my opinion. He is a true fan of the game unlike most of the owners that get the teams just because they can. Cuban sits in the crowd like the fans and expresses his opinions like the fans. Plus he treats his players great.

Jeff_Atello
Yes, but I hate Cuban because he's a whiny llittle *****. Here's what he said when he found out he might have to play the Spurs in the first round....."I hate San Antonio, I hate the fans, the city sucks, the fans suck, the Spurs suck..." etc. That's why I hate Mark Cuban. He whines when he puts together an amazing team, but they still can't find a way to beat the best. Defense, Mark....it's not a bad thing.

Linkalicious
well he was right about the San Antonio comment! laughing

(i laugh because i'm worried about the next round of the playoffs..as a laker fan)

Myth
Wow! Did he really say that? That doesn't sound too much like him. Do you know where I can read that whole quote? If he did say that, well then shame on the immature little bastard.

Jeff_Atello
Jim Rome was playing the quote on his show about a week ago.

cookies2006
Hassell, Cassell, and Madsen stepped up last nite...but KG and Spree just couldnt connect.......thats y they lost....bummer...pacers is my pick

ElectricBugaloo
Pacers can't get past the Pistons

i'd say Spurs

Myth
Spree played flat out aweful but KG played great except he wasn't quite there from the field. But he also had like 18 rebounds and 7 assists so nobody can place blame on him.

Drifter101
anybody but the lakers

wuTa
yes ...pistons and pacers both have a shot but pistons....pistons gotta wen game 7 though and thats not gonna be easy

justinday15
The Pacers cant get past the pistons?
Out of 4 games this season, the Pacers beat them 3 times.

justinday15
I think the Pacers will close the series out tonight in Miami. Miami's won 18 straigt at home, their do for a loss.

wuTa
thats regular season u cant bring regular season stats in the playoff....playoffs and regular season two completely different things

Linkalicious
who cares...they'd both get swept by the west. if not swept...then they take it in 5.

badsymbiote
The Lakers are basketball's equivilent of the ny Yankees--everyone hates them passionately--but, they only hate them 'cuz they're so-o consistently good. On the court, the Lakers have everything--size and immovability (Shaq), speed and endurance (Kobe and GP--yeah, Payton's still got it, mofos.), experience, veteran presence, and a great bench (usually). Furthermore, since the Spurs are out, their chances are even better.
They do have a poor and unstable team chemistry, though, and far too much ego to be considered healthy. Plus all the internal squabbling and the cheap shots between the players really damaged them during the reg. season. They seem a little more synergetic now, but with the number of talented but hopelessly self-centered superstars on the squad, that could all go bye-bye anytime. Also a source of team angst is that unrelenting Kobe rape b.s., and the rumors of either Kobe or Shaq being shipped out post-season.
Still, I say the Lakers in 5. It's not the popular opinion, but it is made via fact and observation, not geographic locale.

Clark_Kent
i voted lakers..cuz..other teams are going 7
games..(Kings/Twolves..nets/pistons)..only the Pacers are done..so that would leave two tired teams to play either the Lakers and Pacers.
So my final vote is LAKERS AND PACERS in june..rematch..lakers in four...why? because, i dislike J. O'Neal.

Linkalicious
Lakers biggest flaw now is their lack of depth. Once Karl or Shaq goes out, they suffer pretty badly by having Slava on the court. Granted Slava has handled his own pretty well, but he'd get worked by a Kevin Garnett, Chris Webber, or Jermaine O'Neil.

That said...they have the best coach in the league. Some may doubt me, but his resume will prove otherwise. Take LA's series vs. San Antonio for example. They lost the 1st two games of the series because they didn't have an effective gameplan. Then after 5 days of waiting they played game 3 and that's when you could see the coaching changes made by Phil Jackson. They stopped the pick and role, and once again proved why you can't effectively front Shaq on defense.

Myth
Jermaine is my least favorite player but I still would rather see him win a championship with the Pacers rather than LA win again. At least, Reggie, my all time fav player could then get a championship ring.

justinday15
Pacers vs. Twolves is who i want to be in the finals. But the lakers will probably win, but if they don't, thats pretty bad because they have 4 future hall of famers on their team.

justinday15
So, who's it gonna be Pistons or Nets?

Linkalicious
Pistons!

So who's it gonna be Pacers or Pistons?

justinday15
Pacers in 7!

Arachnoidfreak
f*ck that. Pacers in 5.

justinday15
I hope so. Rasheed Wallace can kiss my ass

Linkalicious
I don't think this series is going 7, and I don't think the Pacers chances are looking good right now.

wuTa
pistons in 6....we gurantee it big grin

Arachnoidfreak
the series is tied 1-1. i dont see how that is "not looking good" Pacers are stealing this game from the Pistons tonight and gaining back home court. the thing im looking forward to most is DEFENSE baby! yea!

justinday15
Pacers played their worst game this year monday night, and they still only lost by 5.

wuTa
they still lost....its not like the pistons played there best either....but 19 blocks whooo.....thats either great defense or the shittest shot selection by a team ever

justinday15
The Pacers will at least split the series in Detroit.

wuTa
i agree i already made a prediction in another thread about tonights game

Linkalicious
the reason i said things are looking good is because the pistons were able to split the series so far. if the pistons can hold it down at their home court...this series is pretty much done.

justinday15
How do you lose home court? Is it when the team that has home court loses at least one game at home and both games on the road?

Linkalicious
well if the series is 1-1 after 2 games.

Then the Other team is going to get 3 out of the last 5 games at home. They'll get the games 3, 4, and 6 all at home. The team that started with home court will only get game 5 &7 at home because they squandered their initial advantage.

justinday15
What do you mean? The team that has home court advantage in the first place gets games 5 and 7 at home.

Linkalicious
yah, like Minnesota for example.

They had home court advantage at the begining of the series because they had games 1,2, 5, & 7 at home. that's 4 of 7 games.

But they lost game 1. And won game 2. This made it a 5 games series...not a 7 game series.

If it was best of five right now, then the Laker woudl get 3 of the 5 at home.

wuTa
detriot has home court advantage now there up 2-1......if indiana beats detroit tomorrow and ties the series at 2-2 they win back home court coz the series is tied at 2 and there gonna play the next game at home

justinday15
so if Detroit wins on Friday, Game 5 will be in Detroit?

wuTa
no...game 5 is in indy no matter who wins

Myth
Lets say team blue starts with home court advantage and team red is their opponent.

Game 1 - blue
Game 2 - blue
Game 3 - red
Game 4 - red
Game 5 - blue
Game 6 - red
Game 7 - blue

justinday15
i get it, thats how i thought it worked, but on tv they were making it sound like Detroit gets games 5 and 7 at home and the pacers get game 6 and thats what confused me.

justinday15
Game 4: Twolves vs. Lakers, whos gonna win? I say Twolves, Garnett is gonna step up 2nite and have an MVP proformance.

wuTa
he better and szcerbiak and sprewell better have at least 25 a piece and there gonna need an unsung hero from the bench or if there lucky sam i am can play the whole game

Myth
This is the first game that Sam is going into without the confidence that he'll be able to play. Thats not good.

wuTa
then there gonna need huge play from there bench or maybe LA will have one of those games were they dont seem to want it....thats definetly possible

wuTa
shit sad

Linkalicious
guess not. big grin

come on now guys...Kobe had court...might as well assume that the game was over before it started.

KG did play like an MVP yesterday, unfortunately so did Kobe Bryant. Then you got Malone damn near getting a triple double, and Shaq with 19 and 19....done and done.

Important question is...
Do you think they Lakers will be able to close the series out on Saturday? or will Minnesota actully be able to pull a win out at home?

wuTa
pistons game tonight.....this game should be interesting because the way i see it.....it needs to be miller time if the pacers wanna win this game......he better realize that if there gonna have a shot at this series he's gonna need to take more than 1 shot per half.....yea he's got more talent around him but artest aint doin nothing and the bench has saved them from being blown out the last two games...miller needs to light it up or detriot could end this in 5

Linkalicious
i agree with that. Miller better turn on the juice and O'Neal better play his ass off too if they want to stand a chance against the Pistons.

MaverickIce
Speaking of the Pistons, I know its a game late, but that Tayshaun Prince block on Reggie was an all time great.

Myth
Depends. If Garnett's team gives up hope, they are screwed. But hopefully they'll acknowledge that they need to be pumped up and play like there is no tomorrow, because there is no tomorrow for them if they lose.

Arachnoidfreak
OHH YEA, GO PACERS! Game 4 win!! home court wooooot!

MaverickIce
Crap, Detroit Lost.....

What they need is another dependable scorer, someone like.......*cough*T-MAC OR KOBE * and trade Billups, he's been to inconistant.

wuTa
trade billups are you crazy?...he;s been the most consitant point guard they've had since isiah retired....he gets teamates involved and can put some points on the board and he's theres best pest 3 point shooter he's damn near there only 3 point shooter.....carilie outcoached brown thats why they lossed.......and they got another scorer in rasheed he just hasnt been putting points on the board coz he's hurt.....on a side note did anyone see the 4th quater where reggie miller hit that 3 and before he even shot it artest was walking down the court with his finger in the air to play defense...i thought it was hilloarous coz i dont it all the time in pickup games.......and did anyone see the shootaround show after the game on Espn...man i love that show Stephen A. Smith is cracks me up...that whole crew cracke me up espicially when they got laimbeer on there him and smith are always starting shit

Myth
Billups has been a HUGE part of the success of the Pistons.

I saw that shot in slow-mo and when I saw Artest walk by, I started laughing. Thats confidence in your teammates. Well... then again... it is Reggie after all.

wuTa
yea it was even funnier in slow mo

wuTa
man i'm really hoping detriot can pull through tomorrow its not just coz i want them to win but i think they would have a better chance at beating la than the pacers...i dont think it will be easy though i mean even though reggie miller really hasnt been himself but he still is reggie miller and we all know his history playing on the road in big playoff games

bester
Pistons or Pacers but not Lakers!

Arachnoidfreak
Well, im not a Detroit fan, but they do have a better chance at beating the Lakers, and overall, thats what i really want. i just want them to lose damnit. I was going for New Jersey, then they lost, and now im basically just against the Lakers. So, GO EAST!

Myth
yes GO EAST!

Linkalicious
there's only 2 types of fans in the NBA.

You're either a Laker fan, or you're not.

Against either team....Los Angeles in 5...well maybe 6 against Detriot. But it will be similar to Minnesota. The series will be 3-1 after 4 games.

Arachnoidfreak
Oh, Laker fans are so cocky...what's gunna happen when Shaq, Malone, Payton, and Phil Jackson retire? the Lakers will suck, and you(plural, as in all Laker fans) will have to deal with the shame of having a sucky team.(its not so bad, ive been a New Jersey fan since '98. im just glad NJ finally started winning)

it most likely wont happen next year, but it is still inevitable. its just a matter of time, and patience. when that day comes, i will laugh and be merry.

In my opinion, the last great Laker teams were the '88 and '89 Lakers. screw this new team, and thier players who only go there for an easy championship. the 1999/2000 Laker team was respectable, but that was the last one.

hmm, maybe i should add "in my opinion" right about here. yea, that sounds about right. 'in my opinion'

its the same case for the Yankees in baseball. though, i am a Yankee fan, i have to say, their means of gaining a team chock full o' great players is....not cool. people who desperately want to win, or want to be paid a whole shitload.

Linkalicious
ok, i know that statement wasn't directed at me but i'll just say this...in a lot of people's defense.

Call me cocky all you want, but the plain and simple truth is....The Lakers are going to win the championship. I've said it from the begining of the season, and i'm not changing my vote now. I was a fan in the 80's...and stuck with them through the Vlade, Cedric Ceballos, Eddie Jones years. The Lakers sucked in the 90's....just like they'll probably suck a couple of years from now. But that doesn't change things right now.

We beat the Spurs and the Timberwolves....do you really expect me to be shaking in my boots at the thought of Detroit?

As for the Yankee's comments. Well, the Lakers haven't exceeded the salary cap. Atleast not as bad as some teams in the NBA. They don't pay top dollar for the best athletes.....the best athletes take a pay cut to be in Los Angeles. You guys just hate the Lakers because they play for the championships....not for the paycheck.

wuTa
the 1st part of this quote this sounds very familar,and the lakers werent that great in 89 in fact they didnt even when a championship they lost to the pistons

wuTa
hell yeah i expect you to be shaking in your boots...ok maybe not...but i'm gonna say this...if anything the t-wolves proved last night the lakers arent invinceable....they almost pulled that game out if it wasnt for kareem rush and you can say what you want but you know the lakers didnt want to play a game 7 in minnesota

every player plays for the championship...i hate the lakers coz of there fans (not you your not the stereotypical laker fan) and i hate the way they ***** and cry when they lose....and i hate the way theres always some stupid ass drama on the team

Linkalicious
I think Lakers fans do so much b!tching and whining because they've seen this new Lakers team play good a couple of games this season and that's it.

We really haven't seen the Lakers play good basketball since that big win streak they had when they stomped on Sacramento. The rest of the time, they've kinda played down to the other teams levels.

that and Shaq just plain sucks at free throws.

wuTa
well i'm not just talkin about the fans the players do there share of bitching and whining too

Linkalicious
Nothing like Karl jawing at the ref.

Or D-Fish sitting there with his goofy little head band and both hands on his hips.

Better yet...Devon George's constant b!tching on every call.

Man i know exactly what you're talking about, it takes a lot to love the Lakers.

wuTa
and kobe is starting to ***** more too he had alot of Technicals in that minnesota series and thats not normally his style........good its not just me that hates how fischer wears that goofy head band...have you ever noticed how he wears it over his ears..what the hell.....is he cold

Arachnoidfreak
my fault. i was in class and typing too quickly. i meant '86-'88 Lakers. The one that won back-to-back-to-back championships. Great team. since then, all downhill ''*in my opinion*''.

Myth
I can't stand the Lakers for several reasons. The fans (not you Link as wuTa said) and the players.

I hate the celeb fans in LA. You know, the ones that show up when the Lakers are on a role and they leave the games early if the score has more of a differential than 8. True fans want to watch basketball, these cocks are there just for the glory of things. If you just care about the score, check them on the net and don't even bother to watch.

I hate the bandwagon fans. Its one thing to like the Lakers because you are from the area or some other reasons like you've always been a huge fan of some of the players. But too many people around the country like the Lakers just because they win. They later say they like the team because of the players which is often untrue, they developed to like the players because of the jersey they are in. So many people who have always hated Malone have now started acting like they have always liked him, BULLSHIT! This doesn't apply to you Link, because you are a pure Laker fan that has rooted them through anything because they are your team. Malone is now part of your home team and thats understandable. Even through the bad times though, there is still bad Laker fans (which I know goes for every team but Laker fans take it to an extreme). Through the bad times, we'll still see all the vintage shit so people can see that their team was one of the greatest even though they only liked that team in the first place because they jumped on the bandwagon. Year's from now when the Lakers are losing we're still going to see people here in Oregon wearing O'Neal jerseys so they can feel cool because their team won, even though the only reason they were 'their' team is because they won.

O'Neal: I hate this fat f*ck. I'm sorry, but its the way he handles the media. I don't like the way he bangs around with his elbows and his grab the ball then do a jump stop (traveling), but thats not his fault, thats the refs. If he can get away with it, why not use it, right? But during his interviews he always has something to say that is completely unnecessary. I remember a couple years back against the Kings when they interviewed him he said something to the extent of "Well... I was watching TV while taking a shit when I realized that Adelman's team can't beat us." Plus there is the whole bitching back and forth through the media with Kobe.

Kobe: He's a cocky little whiner who cheats on his wife (and is a possible rapist but probably not). He's always whined about Shaq and now Phil. The cheating thing just made me dislike him more (in the top 5 most annoying things in OTF you can see that I don't like these types of people).

Fisher: I know you think I may have been just mad because of his shot against the Spurs, but I have always disliked him because of his cockiness. I seriously think he is way too cocky for his skill levels in the NBA.

Kareem Rush: DAMN HIM TO HELL! No just kidding, he's pretty cool but why'd he have to do good this time.

Luke Walton: Bill Walton's son. Bill is the ultimate anti-Blazer even though he led them to a championship and that makes me dislike him. He disses my team damnit.

Payton/Malone: Payton's got a mouth and I've always thought of Malone as dirty. I don't hate either player but I'm not necessarily a fan either. It just kind of irritating that they jumped on the Lakers bandwagon as players. I know they took pay cuts and blah blah blah, but when you are as rich as them, it doesn't really matter and greed doesn't just involve money. These guys are just greedy and I feel Malone sold out to the Jazz fans. Payton had problems with his former teams so I don't blame him as much. This is another reason why Reggie Miller is so awesome. He stuck with his team through the tough times of rebuilding and really shows his leadership by stepping aside to led his team develop.

Those are just a few reasons.

Arachnoidfreak
^ Agreed. you put into words what i could not.

wuTa
i agree with what myth said with about eveything but kobe being cocky....when your that good your allowed to be at least a lil cocky....jordan was cocky reggie was cocky even bird was cocky....the only player that i can think of that wasnt cocky that had the right to be was stockton

Myth
Its more Kobe's whining than his cockiness. He is in a position to be cocky.

However, there's just something about when people are cocky (whether in a position to be or not) that pisses me off when they start to whine. Cocky whiners just bug me.

Linkalicious
Well I'm cool with everything you guys have got to say...

I actually have always hated Karl Malone, but that's because he's the only great old school ball player left in the league and he wasn't on my team. The "cheap" elbows, hard picks, knees....they're all old school. This new age, dribble 30 times, throw 10 fakes and jump into a fade away crap isn't what the NBA is about. Karl Malone is what the NBA is about. He's tough as sh!t and won't take crap from anyone. And he's like the only one who can call 98% of the league "boy."

Someone like Kenyon Martin is a fake...and i can't stand that. Quite pulling your jersey and pounding your chest....you're still a Net.

wuTa
whats wrong with being a net?

Arachnoidfreak
there's nothing wrong with being 2-time Eastern Conference Champion.

Kenyon Martin is...uhh..he's..um...energetic. he just likes to get hyped during a game and thats why he does all the chest pounding and monkey noises.

yea, thats it. ill go with that. lookaround

Myth
laughing Kind of like Rider when he was on the Blazers. He did his whole pull the jersey to the side to show his nipple. He did it so often that they started giving him Ts for it.

Linkalicious
I didn't mean it in a completely bad way. I just kinda said it to get that semi grin/smirk from some people. It worked with Myth.

He's actually pretty good, but he's done nothing so significant in his career to be making such a fuss.

Fisher's done more than him....and he's....well......Fisher.

Myth
yes I kind of like Martin but I don't think he is as good as he thinks he is. Plus a little too much emotion which isn't necessarily bad.

Linkalicious
did the game rain out 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter or was the score really 69-65?

SeptemberRain
Pistons all the way! Go Detroit!

Arachnoidfreak
lmfao laughing no, it was 69-65

To tell the truth, true Lakers fans are really hard to find. i mostly want the Lakers to lose because i want the goddamn bandwagon b!tches to shut the f*ck up and go away, as a few people have already stated.

i felt the same way about New Jersey. they started winning and "die hard" Knick fans jumped on the bandwagon "the knicks? who are they? NEW JERSEY! wooo go winning team!" that shit just really gets to me.

wuTa
ahhh its on now bitches tomcat....took them 14 years but they finally made it back and its go time wallbash

the game-i dont know what artest was thinking when he popped hamilton in the face in my opinion that cost them the game right there....but did anyone see artest raise his hand like to say "yea i fouled him but let me explain"

Arachnoidfreak
to me it looked more like "yea i fouled him. call it on me, i did it on purpose." like he admitted it.

wuTa
yea but just the fact he was raising his hand like it was a normal foul i mean he jacked him in the face in than raised his hand like "my bad" no shit your bad

Arachnoidfreak
well, he got hit in the stomach, he felt like Rip gave him a cheap shot, i'd have done the same.

wuTa
yea i know i just found it funny....i dont know if i would have done the same... its easy for me to same that coz i wasnt in that situation but i would definetly at least tryed to keep my compuse...that flagrant foul pretty much cost them the game

Myth
YAY! IT was ARTEST'S fault! Would have prefered the blame to be on Jermaine but this works too.

Myth
Ok... so here is the schedule along with my predictions for each game:

1. Sunday in LA: Lakers
2. Tues in LA: Lakers
3. Thurs in Det: Detroit
4. Sun in Det: Lakers
5. Tues in Det: Toss up
if necessary (I know I should have done this after 4 but this goes with my predictions)
6. Thurs in LA: Lakers if it lasts this long
7. Sun in LA: Lakers (same)

wuTa
how dare you how dare you give game 4 to the lakers.....call me the utlimate optimist but heres my prediction the pistons are gonna find a way to win this thing just like they find a way when they were the underdogs in 89.....detroit baby detriot!

Myth
Trust me, I hope they win. I just don't expect to see it happen.

Linkalicious
Artest's foul was just terrible timing, but I think Hamilton got what he deserved. Watch the replay a couple of times...Richard Hamilton pinched Artest in his....ahem....man area. He deserved that shot to the mug...and probably worst.

I love the optimism guys....
This should make for an interesting series. I still say Lakers in 6....mayyyybe 5

wuTa
yea i saw what rip did and i'm not saying he didnt deserve that pop but like i said that cost the pacers the game

Linkalicious
most definitly cost them the game. But i'm sure Hamilton went all pinchy pinchy because of some dirty tactics used by Artest throughout the rest of the game.

Didn't help that big time Reggie couldn't sink that 3 pointer...but the game was over by then.

wuTa
i'm hopin the pistons can take one of these games at la...hopefully tonigts game but if there gonna than chancy billups is gonna have tear it up and i think he is very capable of doin that..especially agains payton he's not as quick as his seattle days....rasheed is gonna have to start to play like he did in portland minus the technical fouls and tayshaun is gonna have to be all over kobe.....i;m not worried about rip or big ben

wuTa
was that awsome or what?...if billups keep playin like that rip and sheed start knockin down more buckets and they follow LBs gameplans malone and GP are gonna have to wait another year big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.