Third time's a charm?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cinemaddiction
I took some long overdue advice from Evil Dead (where the hell are ya, bro?) and rented "28 Days Later" again.

Now, everyone knows how much critiquing I've done in regards to the film as of late, including the infamous "zombie or merely infected" debate, as well as some of the more ridiculous premises in the movie.

I sat down and watched it again this afternoon, took in as many aspects of the film as possible without thinking too hard, and ended up really enjoying it. The cinematography I noticed the first time around, but on the second go-round, I understood the character's developments, the implications of the film's societies actions, and most of all the director's message in regards to today's violent society.

Have there been films where you've seen them a couple of times before, really wanted to like it and didn't, only to give it one more try and totally absorb all that the film is about, and love it?

BackFire
well, I'm glad you enjoyed it Cinema, and to answer your question, yes, there have been many movies that I didn't enjoy on my initial viewing that i enjoyed after watching them a few times. Alien is the first one that comes to mind. Also American Beauty. However it works the other way too, there's many movies I loved the first time I watched them, and couldn't stand the second time.

slayer
happens to me two.

Evil Dead
Hey cinema..........glad to see somebody noticed I was M.I.A. for a while.......been out of town for a few days.

I'm glad you took the advice. I would like to point out that the previous times you had watched the movie, you had not yet watched a good amount of zombie movies. Having since then watched the best there is (Romero's Dead trilogy) and liked them........I think maybe you went in this time with a bit more appreciation for the genre which led to a more enjoyable viewing experience.

Yes......I know....while the infected aren't technically zombies....the film runs parallel to zombie flicks so I throw it in the same genre.........while reading "The cinematography I noticed the first time around, but on the second go-round, I understood the character's developments, the implications of the film's societies actions, and most of all the director's message in regards to today's violent society" the movies that came to mind were Dawn and Day of the Dead.

glad to be back.

Cinemaddiction
Very precise and fair assessment. Watching each "Dead" movie about 3 times before revisiting "28", I definately came away with alot more appreciation for the film, and saw through all the hype and publicity that made me dislike it at first.

That's about all I can say. It helped me look at "28 Days Later" as more than just a scary movie, and actually find some deeper meanings. I guess it is a smarter movie than I ever would have thought.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a big ass plate of crow to eat. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.