Tess of the d'urbervilles

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

§pearhead
Me and JKozzy have to read this for english and write a book review on it. Problem is its incredibly boring. While I'm gonna try to tough through it anyway, can you guys try and give us some general information about it to us?

Everything is appreciated smile

badkittykitty
I found this on it http://www.bibliomania.com/0/0/26/56/frameset.html maybe it will help

shaber
It's not boring at all (sheesh)

Angel Clare is still caught up in the unnatural constraints of his brothers' mindsets, and exemplifies the Victorian double standard. Some critics have read Darwin's survival of the fittest theory into it, as the Durbeyfields are now real losers, no longer the successful D'Urbevilles (genetic winding down)

shaber
Note the horrible image of Tess' bastard child being tossed about by the Devil on a fork like the one she has seen used on baking days, the cruelly twisted theological system has affected her in an adverse way.

JKozzy
Yeah, that is a pretty horrid image... what other forms of imagery are evident in Tess? I suck at interpreting books, thanks everyone who has and will respond btw smile

shaber
Tess has a lovely mouth that looks like a snake's. D'Urbeville says that she was tempting him... serpent and Eve motif (though inaccurate in this case)

§pearhead
Wow messed You know what you're talking about.

Thanks, man! big grin

Laviera_j
Yeah I gotta read that one too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.