BoB MarLey

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mouth
Is there anybody else besides me that loves Bob Marley here?
and his lyrics / songs? or do you believe what he stands for??

HockeyHorror
he's a legend indeed.

ElectricBugaloo
awesomeness

one of the greatest of all time

MF D00m
GOAT

Corlindel

Kaleanae
I have four Bob Marley's Albums messed

ElectricBugaloo
Legends should be required listening for everyone

mouth
yes.. very much so yes

Ya Krunk'd Floo
What are everyone's favorite Bob Marley tunes?

Recently, I've been scrupulously exploring his back-catalogue, and have come to love 'Jah Live', 'War', 'High Tide or Low Tide', 'Them Belly Full' and 'Lively Up Yourself'.

If I am to answer my own question, then my favorite tune is probably 'Three Little Birds'. I can't think of a more positive, genuine and up-lifting song.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
What are everyone's favorite Bob Marley tunes?

One Love

koolruningz
He is my favourite and most inspirational artist in any genre, the man was incredible a total one off. Not only did he reach unbelievable heights with his music he also uplifted his people with his actions. Did you guys know that he performed at an important political concert in Jamaica the day after an assassination attempt (he still had part of the bullet in his arm)? He believed in his music and its message so much that he was willing to die for it and in this day and age of wanna be gangstas and try hard thugs (who are never seen without bodyguards and bullet proof vests) this man was a true champion for his people.
My favourite Marley songs would be Trench Town Rock, Stir it up, Rat Race, Concrete Jungle, Could you be loved, Waiting in vain and Soul Rebel.
This man could never be overrated in my opinion.
Ya Krunk'd, you should check out his live albums man.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I take it you've read 'Carch a Fire', too...great book.

Which live albums do you recommend?

koolruningz
You would be correct sir, its pretty heavy going in some parts but its a very rewarding read.
Live albums would be Bob Marley and the Wailers Live:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005KB9W/qid=1135020752/sr=1-17/ref=sr_1_17/102-2479365-9041707?v=glance&s=music

and Babylon by Bus:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005MK9Y/qid=1135020752/sr=1-13/ref=sr_1_13/102-2479365-9041707?v=glance&s=music

Both are incredible, this is reggae at its best. smokin'

Maya Zurak
I love Bob Marley!
fave song: Is This Love

mmmmoley
i love bob marely, i have a few albums of his and i think 'ledgend' is one of the greatest albums around!!

Afro Cheese
I just now downloaded Babylon By Bus the other day. I'd never been a big fan of reggae at all, actually the only reggae songs I liked were a couple famous bob marley tunes and even those I only liked and not loved. But like I said I just downloaded Babylon By Bus the other day after reading a good review on it and I just bought it today, that's how good it is. It's easily one of the best albums I've ever listened to. It's so much more raw, emotional and in depth then I ever though reggae could be. My favorite song on the album is I guess Concrete Jungle, it's pretty hard to pick though.

I didn't want to make a new thread cause I knew there had to be a thread on him already but I just wanted to bump this one to share my appreciation for his music and ask his fnas what other albums of his are recommended? I prefer studio albums or live recordings to greatest hits compilations.. I already downloaded "Legend."

koolruningz
Its a whole new experience listening to him live Afro, the band are so tight but so loose at the same time if that makes any sense. "Stir it up" live after some cheeba is an experienced not to be missed.
The first link i posted above is another live album that i think you'd enjoy, the studio albums are great but i much prefer the live ones.

Afro Cheese
Alright thanks kool. I had a feeling you'd be the one to turn to, I remember you saying you were a big bob marley fan.

You listen to any other good reggae?

koolruningz
Yeah i grew up listening to my dads (who's Jamaincan) reggae records. Artists like Desmond Decker, U-Roy, Pete Tosh, Lee Perry, Jimmy Cliff, Steel Pulse, Sly and Robbie, Gregory Issacs, Maxi Preist, UB40 and of course Bob were always playing in the background when i was young.
Some other artists you may like are Barrington Levy, Horace Andy, Ziggy Marley and Dillinger. Nowadys reggae seems to have been bastardised by people like Sean Paul and such so i dont listen to the current trends much.
There are a few good New Zealand reggae bands over here though like The Black Seeds, Katchafire, Salmonella Dub and Rhombus. I'd recommend any of those.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Buju Banton is cool, too. I love 'Inna Linga', it's a great album.

Also worth checking-out are Bedouin Soundclash. They not strictly reggae, but you can hear the Marley-influence throughout their music.

Afro Cheese
Alright, thanks alot guys. Those lists are a little overwhelming, it'll take me a while to even know half of who you're talking about, but i'll check em out.

I actually saw Pete Tosh's cd "Legalize It" right next to Marley's stuff at Best Buy and was interested in it due just to the title and the album cover but I'm tryin to be smart with my money right now, so I didn't want to gamble it on an artist I've never even heard. I did plan on downloading it I just totally forgot about it till I saw your post, kool. laughing out loud

koolruningz
Happy to help bro. smokin'

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by koolruningz
Happy to help bro. smokin'

kool, have you checked out Bedouin Soundclash? You'd like them...

Also, Michael Frant's new album is excellent. Especially, 'One Step Closer To You'; it has some sweet reggae vibes flowing from it...

koolruningz
No man, i've never heard of them to be honest. I'll look up some of their tracks tonight on slsk to see if they are my cup of Rosie.

Im getting a Michael Franti and Spearhead album for my birthday next month, i loved the tracks that you recommended i just havent had any spare cash lately. Do you recommend "Stay human" or "Everyone deserves music"?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'd say 'Songs From The Front Porch' followed by 'Everyone Deserves Music'. The best tracks from 'Stay Human' are on 'Songs From The Front Porch'...

His new album, 'Yell Fire' is also excellent.

koolruningz
I'll get that then, thanks man.

dani_california
Bob Marley = God

bakerboy
Simply, a genious and a universal figure. His music and his actions are legend, he was a man who believed in what he did, and he tryied to put his ideas and way of life in his music, and that was simply great.

My favourites ones: no woman no cry, its this love and buffalo soldiers.

BobbyD
Originally posted by mouth
Is there anybody else besides me that loves Bob Marley here?
and his lyrics / songs? or do you believe what he stands for??

Grossly underrated. Me a fan. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.