What Martial Arts have you taken?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LeAtHerRFace
Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Kendo, and Aikido.

Myth
Tae Kwon Do
Kung Fu
and mostly Jiu Jitsu

claidisa_felton
tae kwon do...my uncle teaches it

Rogue Jedi
no formal training. but my boss is a tae kwan do master, he has taken it for 25 years. he has gotten out of shape, so i train with him. mostly i put on pads and let him beat the hell out of me. i boxed for a few years.

WindDancer
I used to do Tae Kwon Do and Muay Thai kickboxing when I was a kiddie.

Trinity_Matrix
I just did karate when I was younger. 'twas a lot of fun.

BarmyBrummie
Karate for 3 years

Myth
I was IMed asking about Jiu-Jitsu so I decided I would post that response here as well.

Its usually associated with submission fighting and it was originated by the samurai. When a samurai had his weapon knocked out of his hands, he couldn't attack the other warrior because of the armor they wear. A punch to samurai armor is useless so Jiu-Jitsu was developed as an alternative. Even with armor, a man can be disabled at the joints (whether breaking them or just a hold that hurts so bad that they can't fight).

TrAnCeDuO
thanx myth...i appreciate it..your info will help me find a alternative to jeet kune do since i cant find a means to commute to the studio...

Ryan10000000000
still doing karate and have been 4 the past 7 years.

any body here do kyokushin karate

Devalion
Zen chou Karate and American style Kick-boxing

Viper
Thanks for the info, I've been interested in getting into Jiu Jitsu for a while.

Df02
Capoeira

altho its pretty much a dance lol wink

Corlindel
to sleep stick out tongue

Junaspher
I'm a 4th Dan in Taekwondo

Baylin
I started Ju Jitsu about 6 weeks ago and I love it. Such simple principles yet so much to remember with some of the moves!

Myth
eek! Whats your favorite move? Mine is simply the triangle choke.

Baylin
So far I've mainly done wrist locks and throws and I'm still getting used to all the weird japenese names.
I also like using the Jo and I cant wait until I'm a blue belt so I can start on the sword work!!!!!

Evil1
I'm a 3rd in TKD, a 3rd in Karate, a Master in Kung Fu, a 4th in the Bo Staff and I started the Samurai sword about 6 months ago.

TrAnCeDuO
im starting tomorrow....(im so nervous)three questions about jiu jitsu i must ask is
1: i know there are many grapples and holds in this art but are there any strikes?
2: you mentioned some weapons...do you start right right off with em or do they come later on?
3:do you train in every weapon or do you specialize in just one?

Baylin
I think it varies from style to style but Ju Jitsu is pretty much the fore runner to Karate, Aikido and definitely Judo therefore it contains a lot of these styles.

1: Yes but they're the basic Karate ones, one of the main ideals behind Ju Jitsu was to get your opponant in some sort of hold where by you have a hand free to take a weapon usually a tanto or knife and then kill them which is why it specializes in locks, grapples and holds.

2: So far in my first 6 weeks I've done some basic Jo and Hand Bo stuff.

3: The Dojo I train at tend to concentrate on the Jo and Hand Bo to start with, but it really does depend on your sensei the style they teach and what you need to know for the grading syllabus. After blue belt is attained my dojo start to specialize in sword work.

Batman_Beyond
I have done :
1. Wal-ryu karate
2. Tae kwondoe
3. Shotokan Karate
4. Wing Chun Gung Fu
5. Southern Shaolin Dragon Gung Fu
6. Kempo Gung Fu (Just Started)

I think thats it lol.

Corlindel
I can hit someone's head with a bottle of beer at the distance of 30 feet ninja

Baylin
I assume you drink the beer first!

wuTa
shootfighting..... i hope he drinks the beer fast that would be such a waste

Corlindel
It depends evil face

@F1
I did Karate, for 2 years, then Kenpo Jujitsu, some Kick Boxing.

I do some Tia Chi now, and wish i'd learned about it first, its Beautiful and Devastating.

Click:

Tai Chi World

Baylin
Well I am very pleased to announce that I was awarded my Red belt, with 2 tabs for good effort, last night at a surprise spur of the moment grading at my Jujitsu club.
This is my first grading and I worked really hard, I'm knackered, and I ache lots but I do really feel I earned it! big grin

G.P
Congrats Baylin !!

I've only done some Judo for a year...and it was looong time ago embarrasment

DaRk Lotus
i go unarmed...i took 2 years of judo and 1 year of suu bok do karate

TrAnCeDuO
as for me...im currently doing jiu jitsu( i wouldve taken jeet kune do but the commute wouldve been hell) and ive been doing it since about since last january...

Rabid_Wolverine
i took judo for awile and learnd chinese kung fu

Juventus
i stopped at 2nd Dan in taekwondo

A.marie
Tae kwon do. But I quit ^_^"

Arachnoidfreak
Tae Kwon Do for 3 years, then Wing Chun. I wanted to try Jeet Kune Do afterwards, but man, I'm one lazy motherf*cker. I don't do shit anymore.

bardock
muay thai and some jkd. i also wrestle and did karate back in the day.

ragesRemorse
i took Kali for 5 years, but had to quit due to a wrist injury. I friggin love Kali to. One of the more dissapointing momments in my life when i found out i couldnt continue. I studied Jeet kune do for three years with a wing chun master who learned under one of Bruce's students.. I still continue to self train in Jkd but is very hard seeing how there is very little to go on. If Bruce ever had the chance to fine tune this art and design it fully in the way he intended we could very well have witnessed the most devestating and intelligent art. The idea of Jkd still remains as the most potentially engaging art out there.

bardock
jkd is what you make it find your own path.

pinkwhite
I do karate smile

Smoke87
Tae kwon do since I was four

also Jeet kune do and mauythai and Hapkido

Oh, and a little shaolin Kung fu

Currently teaching myself acrobatics and gymnastics trying to incorrporate martial arts into them. I love martial arts, it's something I want to make my living do, either in flim or my own studio

shaber
Kyoshinku (sp?). A long time ago.

LeAtHerRFace
Boxing rocks!!

ImAPirate
tae kwon do here

spidergrl
TAEKWONDO ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!111

TrAnCeDuO
*bump*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.