The One Ring: power & influences [merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Vicious
Can Anyone help me with this question i have, i have seen the LOTR movie a few times and i still havent found an answer, supposedly the One Ring is the most powerful of them all but all i have seen it do is turn whoever has it invisible, What Other Power does it has????? Is cool to turn invisible but i dont see whats the big deal if can only turn u invisible.

P.S- What are powers of the other 19 rings if anyone know? evil face

Ushgarak
All the Great Rings have that power, I think.

The powers of the One Ring are left indeterminate- but clearly immense for those who know how to use it.

mah
well it doesnt only turn you invisible, it turns you into a mad, greedy, powersick nutter over some time

Dexx
it has the power to corrupt. that's why gandalf was affraid to take it..not that it would increase his abillities but that it would turn him to the dark side. Let's just say that the real power is only when it's in sauron's evil finger.

Ushgarak
It WOULD increase Gandalf's power! Immensly! It would power up any who wielded it and understood it.

"With that power I should have power too great and terrible. And over me the Ring would gain a power still greater and more deadly." Gandalf, FOTR.

Fire
I think he's right here, btw sauron does posses enormous strength in the battle where isildur "takes" the ring, it might just be his normal strength, I dunno but I assume the ring has something to do with that

Dexx
course it has..he didn't make it for nothing..well..besides rulling all the other.
And i suspect what we see in that battle isn't the extent of his skill if he would've gotten the ring back.

glorfindel
only the one ring can make you invisable folks.none of the otheres do

narya(gandalfs ring) was the ring of fire

Nenya ( water)gladriel

vilya(air)elrond
"
those who had them in their keeping could ward off the decay of time and postpone the weariness of the world".(silmarillion page 347.) smokin'

Darth Vicious
finally a worthy answer but it still doesnt answer what the real powers of the One Ring are! thanks nonetheless

glorfindel
sorry you are right it does not answer your question .
the answer is I think very simple
The one ring has only one power in itself the only thing that it does is control the other rings,It has so much power in it in so as it can cotrol the other great rings of power.been sauron needs it back because it has most of his strength(power(evil)) in it. with it he will control the owners/powers of the other rings.
this may not be the right answer but i think it might be what do you think? smokin'

Darth Vicious
it helps understands the rings powers but i still dont see why the humans in the movie would think it would help them against sauron if the only think it can do is turn them invisible, i would understand the rings powers in the hands of gandalf and the other wizards and the elfs but to me it would be useless to the humans since they cant do magic and it would do to them would be drive them mad. by the wayi hope i didnt sound rude on my previous answer it wasnt my intention.

glorfindel
no not rude at all wink
Arogorn has power as he is a decedant of elves, if any where to use the ring it would corrupt them and turn them evil.
they would be able to use the ring each to his own abbilitys, gandalf would be a more powerful wizard,Arogorn a powerful leader of men as borromire wanted to be.

Dexx
how do you know. Maybe it's the only one out of the elven, human adn dwarven (+ the one ring)

"there are many magic rings in this world , bilbo baggins, and none of them should be used likely."
gandalf - fotr

maybe it's the only one...but that's not clearly certiffied from that statement..or any other that i recall.
Or Gandalf would've known he has the ring of power from the first place.

Ushgarak
Dexx is right and you are very wrong, Glorfindel. If only the One Ring caused invisibility, Gandalf would have recognised it at once and Sauron would not have had to have used the process of elimination that he did to know it was the One Ring.

Gandalf in FOTR refers to the Great Rings PLURAL when he talks of the long life they give, and how it is bad to use them to turn invisible.

glorfindel
point taken i will try harder next time (curse them).
smokin'

Arien
the one ring does corrupt, turn the wearer invisible, and it also talks. yeah, if u listen, it talks.

General Kaliero

Mujaffa
when it slips of ur finger then it corrupts u and change owner..

glorfindel
just a thouht.
Gandalf did not know much about the rings at the time frodo got it as he had to go to gondor to find out about the writeing so at the point in question he neither knew about the writting OR the invisibility thing
what say?

Dexx
the trip to gondor was just to confirm his STRONG suspicion. Don't forget those sauron's eye spasms.
he can't tell all the rings in the world by how they look, but at his age i'm sure he knows a GREAt deal about the rings...he carries one afterall - and he's supposed to be the wises of the istari.

glorfindel
sorry but i have to disagree (so unlike me)
the I just do not thing gandalf Knew or had an idear about the ring
or he would have moved it sooner
his knowlage on the ring was weak.

glorfindel
bye the way lol

Dexx
i didn't say he knew about the ring before bilbo's parting. In my opinion his suspicion started at bilbo's reaction connected with seeing bilbo not aged at all, at the beggining.

Mithrandir
My question is why did the elven rings lose their power? Did they lose it because the one ring was destroyed, if so does that mean the elven rings worked only with the ring still around? please help a very very confused man.

Ushgarak
Glorfindel, regardless of Gandalf's knowledge of the Ring- which was strong and he certainly knew enough to make the deduction I talked of- the point is that SAURON made the same deductive process, as described in FOTR. And Sauron DEFINITELY knew how they all worked!

But Gandalf knew plenty. He went to all the bother of that confirmation purely because Saruman- who knew more- had insisted that it was not on Middle-Earth.

However, I have checked this in the Silmarillion. Tolkien says that the Great Rings confer invisibility- EXCEPT the Elven Ones. Of course, this would have made little difference to Gandalf's elimination process as he knew full well where the Elven ones were anyway, so he knew that Bilbo could not have found one of them, quite aside from him also knowing the Elven ones had jewels on them.

And yes- ALL the Great Rings stop working without the One Ring.

glorfindel
smokin'

Captain REX
So without the One Ring, the rest of the Great Rings of power become jewelry?

I knew the 9 Rings of Men turned you invisible. That's why the Ringwraiths are invisible!

I think that unless someone has taught you how to use it or if you have the power to, the Ring just turns you invisible. Needless to say, it definitely has the power to do great things...great and terrible things...like Voldemort's wand. big grin

Mithrandir
Holy crap, the nine rings of men turn u invisible, crap i thought it was just that they were so corrupted by evil that they became wraiths

Dexx
the nazguls are invisible?...don't think so..they're not even men anymore...as said, they're wraiths. The 9 corrupted the men they were. They didn't turn invisible as they wore them then.

Ushgarak
They passed into the Realm of Shadow. Which is actually what the Ring DOES- it is not literal invisibility. That is why you can see the Nazguls for what they are when you wear the Ring because you are in their world. They have great trouble interacting with the real world themselves, but once Frodo put on the ring they could see him at once.

Captain REX
But, even if they were still men, the 9 Rings of Men would make them invisible. Though, yes, they've entered the Land of Shadow and are invisible anyway.

Dexx
the rings' story is just great. Men are fouls

Captain REX
But Men don't have feathers like fowls! big grin

Dexx
umm..yeah...that too

turin
well, i was just reading the posts and i think there are some misconceptions of the rings of power. first off the the one ring did not make any one who wore it invisible (look at sauron) the powers it would give you would be based upon the power you your self had. that is why gandalf was affraid to take. he is very powerful, therfore the ring would bestow even greater powers to him. now it needs to be explained that there are two worlds, the living world and the spirit world. when frodo wore the ring it took him out of the living world and put him in the spirit world. a wraith lives almost wholy in the spirit world that is why they appear invisible in the living world (except they are clothed in black). elves similtaneously live in both. that is why when frodo was stabbed and arwen came to him she was robbed in white, her image in the spirit world. then the camera took the view of the living world and showed here in green clothing. now the reason why all the other rings become trinckets once the one ring was destroyed is because they were all made at the same time and the one ring was made to have power over them all, thus they are all tied together. its kind of like the elven rings were made to offset the evil of the other rings, so once that evil is destroyed, there power (the power to opose the evil rings) is gone. hopefully this helps and i would be glad to hear others views on the subject.

Member.
lol, nice cool. Turin=LOTR master.

Ash Nazg
turin has hit most of the nails on the head there.

Sauron was not originally know as evil, this he hid. He was clever and went into hiding when his master, Melkor (the first Dark Lord), was captured. Later and still not revealed his true nature, he had the rings crafted by the elven smiths of Eregion, whom he seduced. These, as you know were gifted by Sauron to those he deemed. It was from the elven smiths that he learned the art of crafting the final ring himself, which he made in secret and betrayed the elven smiths. Into this ring, he poured his own power and his evil so as to control the wearers of the other rings. The nine men were easily swayed by promises of power etc, the dwarf rings were lost and he had no real control over the elves, thus Galadriel was able to wear hers openly. The main power within the ring was that of control, that and Saurons own power. Without it, he was still strong, but with it, even stronger. the invisibility question is covered by turin in the post previous to this.

It was within Galadriels ring that the power of Lothlorien lay. It was said that should the one ring be destroyed, then Lothlorien would fade. Basically, the ring could survive, even back with Sauron, and so Lothlorien would still remain, without it, all rings were powerless, and thus would mean the end of Lothlorien etc. This is one of the reasons she does not take the ring, she knows it would magnify her own power, but in doing so, corrupt was was intended to be good, into evil. She chooses to allow the ring to be destroyed, knowing what it would mean to them, and allow the forest to fade into history and for her people to pass back to the undying lands. The alternative, if it were to fall back into Saurons hands (stating the obvious here - sorry!!) would mean him destroying all in his path, which again, would spell the end of the elves.

Gandalf, did not know that the ring was "the one ring" (though he does know "off" the one ring) for it had been lost for over a thousand years. He had no reason to suspect that it was until the latter time of Bilbo's possession of it. As he mentions, there are many magical rings, and none which should be used lightly. Events unfold which leads him to believe that the ring is more than it seems, hence he then goes off to research its history. It is then that he discovers the history of Smeagol/Gollum, when he is captured by the elves of Mirkwood. Everything pieces together which leads him believe it is the one, though the final test is that of fire, which reveals the writing (written on my signature below, in the language of Morgoth, in "common tongue" "one ring to rule them, one ring to find them" etc). Essentially then, the power, then, of the ring, is exactly that....to rule them, to find them, to bring them, to bind them.

Hope this helps. Ive tried to cover in some detail some of the points which seem to have only been touched on in other responses. If you want any further info, then let me know.

Dont take this the wrong way, but if you are really interested in fully understanding the history of the ring, then Id firstly suggest reading the three books (including the apendices), also The Silmarilion (though that one is very heavy going).

Captain REX
Turin and Ash Nazg really know a lot about this stuff. See what reading can do for you? big grin

Ushgarak
Except in that what Turin says is misleading. Tolkien SPECIFIES that The Great Rings cause invisibility EXCEPT the Elven ones. If you are powerful enough, he also specifies, you can CONTROL that invisibility, as Sauron did- though it is worth noting that Sauron could do that anyway. This power of the Rings is a direct result of his influence on them, hence it not being present in the Elven ones.

It is obvious that invisibility is a blanket power of the Great Ring no matter who you are- else why would the exact same power affect Isildur, Smeagol, Bilbo and Frodo?

The Rings were not made at the same time; the One Ring was made decidedly after the others. The Elven Rings were not made to balance anything because when made the Elves did not know of any evil involved with the Rings- none of them knew until the moment Sauron first put the One Ring on. They were made, like all the others, because the Elves thought they were cool means of enhancing their power.

Ash Nazg
correct Ushgarak, i think, if I remember rightly, there was about 100 years between the crafting of the first rings to Sauron crafting the one ring.

And thank you Captain Rex!

Member.
lol

turin
k well as far as all the rings giving invisiblity it is all specualtion, but i dont beleive they did so. first off, if that was so then why didnt the dwarves realize and maybe even take the ring from bilbo (thinking it might be one of there lost rings). it is true though that a mighty spirit could probably use the ring to make him invisble at will, but as far as the mighty ones were concerned why be invisble when the ring in there hands could do much greater and terrible things. the only power that is for certain was the power of all of them (except the three) to corrupt. and second of all my coment about the elf rings being made to counter the other rings, that was a little presumptious since after the rings were made sauron left to make his, but i feel that celibrimbor was very supicous of sauron (thats why sauron had no hand in making the elf rings like he did the others) so, this is where i am assuming, i think celibrimbor did make the elf rings to counter the others, though most likely at the time he did not realize that the great ring was going to be made.

Ushgarak
No, it is NOT speculation about the invisibility. Tolkien has SAID so, in his letter his son printed at the start of the second edition Silmarillion.

"The chief power of all the Rings alike was the prevention of decay... but also they enhanced the natural powers of a possessor... and finally, they had other powers, directly derived from Sauron, such as rendering invisible the material body, and making things of the invisible world visible"

Clear enough for you?

Celebrimbor was not suspicious at all until Sauron put on the One Ring. The Elven Rings are simply those made without Sauron's help, and were successfully hidden from him.

turin
well, i am going to have to check on the invisiblity thing, so i will give that one to you for now but i know celibrimbor was supiticious and once i am able to check my source i will let you know. and lastly i am glad to hear other peoples views and share my own, but i felt you were pretty ignorant in your last post with your "im right your wrong attitude".

Member.
be open minded, always.

Darth Vicious
Quick question, where did most of u guys got ur info? and will anybody have more power with all 20 rings in their possesion? or does the One ringa have the same power or more as the other 19 together? and woill somebody with the 19 rings be as powerful as someone with the One Ring?

Ushgarak
The reason I had that attitude, Turin, is because I had said I had gotten my info from Tolkien, and you then said it was a matter of speculation, thus effectively calling me a liar. So check your own attitude before you criticise mine- or better still, properly check your facts.

That I was right and you wrong about the invisibility is simply factual. This has nothing to do with open-mindedness or toleration of views. I gave you the factual answer given by Tolkien himself and no-one has any business rejecting that, any more than you can argue that Aragorn is female and expect people to be 'open-minded'. To call me ignorant for giving out the facts is a breathtakingly weird statement.

I was not trying to be unpleasant, but having invoked Tolkien's name, rather than just calling this my opinion, do you not see you would have annoyed me less saying "Can you actually show what Tolkien said?" instead of saying "That is speculation"?

As for Celebrimbor, let us see what Tolkien has to say again, shall we?

"As soon as Sauron set the One Ring upon his finger, were aware of him; and they knew him, and perceived that he would be master of them, and all they wrought. Then in anger and fear they took off their rings. But he, finding that he was betrayed and that the Elves were not deceived, was filled with wrath, and came against them in open war, demanding that all the rings should be delivered to him, since the Elven-smiths could not have attained to their making without his lore and counsel. But the Elves fled from hm, and three of their rings they saved, and bore them away, and hid them."

No mention of suspicions until Sauron wore the Ring. And furthermore:

"Sauron used all his arts upon Celebrimbor and his fellow smiths, who formed a society or brotherhood, very powerful in Eregion, the Gwaith-i-Mirdain; but he worked in secret, unknown to Galadriel and Celeborn . Before long Sauron had the Gwaith-i-Mirdain under his influence... so great became his hold on the Mirdain that at length he persuaded them to revolt against Galadriel and Celeborn and to seize power in Eregion... now, Celebrimbor was not corrupted in heart or faith, but had accepted Sauron as what he posed to be; and when at length he discovered the existence of the One Ring he revolted against Sauron."

Thus making it clear that Celebrimbor was duped all the way until the existence of the One Ring was revealed. I can find no evidence that he was suspicious beforehand, though feel free to produce some.

DV, most of the decent info is to be found in the appendices to Return of the King, or in the Silmarillion. I am afraid Tolkien never tackled the question of what happened if you were more than one Ring.

turin
wow, i'll hand it to you, you know your tolkien stuff. i guess i am reading more into it then needs be, but why didnt sauron have a hand in the making of the elven rings if celibrimbor was not supsicious? after all it was the elves that sauron desired most to control, so you would think that aiding in the making of the elf rings would be most important to him. yes the elfs were completely fooled by him, except the whole thing about him not helping on the elf rings makes me suspicous of celibrimbors suspicion. and as far as a revolt of celibrimbor against galadriel, where does it say that? i read into it in the silmarilion and it doesnt go into great detail and i dont recall it saying anything about a revolt and do you mean they took up arms against them or just ignored there advice. now just for the sake of argument, back to the rings invisibilty, do you think that even though the dwarven rings had that power they didnt work on the dwarves since it states that the dwarves were more resiliant to the powers of the rings. this just makes more sense to me because if it did make them invisible why didnt they know exactly what bilbo had? plus why wouldnt thror take his with him when he returned to moria, after all being invisible would have atleast got him in past the front doors. and why didnt thrain use it to regain acess to the lonely mtn to at the least recover the arkenstone? just a thought, let me know what you think.

Ushgarak
Celebrimbor's revolt is in Unfinished Tales, as is Galadriel's suspicion about Sauron. It was a relatively peaceful coup d-etat; Celeborn and Galadriel were forced to leave (hence them not being in Eregion when Sauron twatted it).

The Elven Rings were still built on the basic precepts that Sauron had taught the Elves, but it just so happened he did not PERSONALLY help build all of them. I cannot find anything more suspicious in it than that.

We have little information over whether the Dwarves actually wore their Rings during the Third Age, or just bore them. All that had them were well aware by that point over how dangerous they were. Whether they would have been literally better off using them to achieve thgeir goals, or whether it would have given them the same immortal curse as it did to the weaker mortal users (i.e. the men) and hence not been worth what they would have gotten them, is a matter for speculation. Personally, I don't think any of the Sauron-tainted Rings could be used for any prolonged purpose that would not have become Sauron's own.

And the Dwarves DID know what Bilbo had... a Magic Ring. If Gandalf wasn't sure if it was more than that, why would the Dwarves be?

turin
well my suspicion is just that those were the most important rings to sauron since he desired most for dominion over elves, so since he didnt oversee there creation that seems odd. now i think it is something tolkien might have overlooked or not thought about but possible maybe tolkien was thinking that either sauron was so arogant and cocky that he felt he had celibrimbor completely under his control and could trust him to make the rings (problem with that is that even if he had that much faith in his control over celibrimbor why didnt he stick around to put his evil into the rings like all the other rings had) and the only other option is that celibrimbor was suspicious. so i hope you can see my point. solely on the lack of information on saurons absence during there construction do i asume that celibrimbor had his suspicions.

now for the dwarves, yes they new bilbo had a magic ring, but they did not know of what sort that ring was. if it was one of the rings of power or just a magic ring (assuming there were other magic rings other than the great rings since i am sure celibrimbor "practiced" making rings) i feel that if they new that the rings of power gave the power of invisiblity then they would have realized bilbo had one of the great rings, the one, or the one of the seven. just a thought. again i am probably making more of something that isnt there, but considering tolkien worked all his life on these stories yet we have such limited resources on the works, i think there is a lot that wasnt told and that makes it fun to speculate on the gaps. wouldnt it be great to be able to take all these questions right to the source!

Ushgarak
Sauron desired those Rings most because he did no get his hands on them, that's the only reason. That they were made without his hand is no real proof of Celebrimbor's suspicions, only that he made some himself without aid. How could Sauron have objected to that WITHOUT looking suspicious? "What, you are insisting you help make EVERY ring? Hmmmmmmmmm...."

Where Sauron messed up was in not knowing the Elves would sense his deception so soon and so be able to hide those Three Rings- else he would have gotten them.

I would think the Dwarves would have had very little knowledge of the Rings of Power in general, even Thorin (who was not, of course, the brightest of people). I think they would have just thought that a magic ring was a magic ring, and left it there. Also the One Ring is rather more plain than the other Rings; if Thorin had ever seen his ancestral Ring he probably would not have thought Bilbo's one at all similar.

turin
good point on the dwarven rings, but sauron didnt desire the elven rings the most because those were the only he didnt have but because he disired to have dominion over the elves more than all other peoples (because they were the most powerful) and through those rings he would achieve it. that places an importance on those rings more than the others, hence i would think he would take special care in the making of those rings. if you want me to quote a source on his desire to rule the elves more than others look at what you quoted earlier from the silmarillion and read more in that chapter.

Ushgarak
Remember, they were ALL Elven Rings when made, They only became not Elven when Sauron handed them out when he grabbed them all during the war against Eregion, which was his secondary plan after his original plan to dominate the Elves failed because they saw it coming.

So the only reason he desires the three that the Elves end up with... is because they ended up with them.

turin
thats a very good point that all were elf rings at the start, so i guess it could be hypothisized that sauron wasnt even aware of the creation of the 3 till after he put on the one otherwise he would have had a hand in their making, hmmm, interesting. that makes you wonder why didnt celibrimbor waite for sauron to help in the creation of the 3? was he vain in his own ability so he created the rings? but i guess he was very successful since they turned to be the most powerful (excluding 1). even still why did he create the 3 after the sauron aided in the others? perhaps he was SUSPICOUS of sauron and felt the need to create 3 more powerful ones. just a thought...

Ushgarak
Is there any evidence that the Elven ones are more powerful? We have no real accurate idea of thre power of the other Great Rings. We know they have powers of invisibility that the Elven ones do not, but no-one of sufficient power ever really wore them to make full use of them

Maybe the Elven Rings had powers to compensate for the lack of invisibility. And maybe they had powers further still, but I do not think so.

No, I think Celebrimbor made 3 himself, purely because he wanted to. He WAS a Noldor, after all.

turin
very true, a grandson of feanor none the less, the most conceited elf of all. i do think it says somewhere that they are the most powerful and i will try and find that tonight and let you know. and that is very true he probably just made the rings because he could, but he is an elf and i guess i am putting a lot of faith in their hate for morgoth and sauron, and through their hate i would hope that celibrimbor atleast had a sneekin suspition of annatar. (excuse my spelling, me very bad speller).

Member.
blinksuper long posts, jebus...

Ushgarak
The Noldor are more powerful than any other Middle-Earth Elf, how they compare to the Vanyar out west, though, is unknown.

turin
interesting note. i was reading return of the shadow last night (history of middle earth six i beleive) and it said that tolkien originally had the 3 great rings made on there own and sauron later made his to counter them. kind of interesting the evolution of the stories.

Ushgarak
Geanology is the worst; the Elves in his stories have hopped all over the place, family-wise, over time.

Captain REX
Why did Sauron hand out the Rings to Dwarves if he just stole them back after awhile?

I've noticed that Hobbits don't appear much in the history of Middle-Earth, though Bullroarer Took made the game of golf by smashing an orc's head into a rabbit hole...

Ushgarak
He gave them out to the Dwarves to corrupt them, of course, only it didn't quite go as planned.

He then took them back when he could because if they weren't going to do anything more than make them greedy, there was little point letting them have that power.

Captain REX
Good point...

I take it while all of this was happening the Hobbits were happily sitting in their hobbit holes drinking tea, eating bread with jam, and smoking Old Toby.

Ushgarak
Well, Hobbits didn't really exist when the Rings were made. Didn't even reach what would later be called The Shire until halfway through the third age.

Captain REX
Oh...I see.

Where do hobbits come from then? Dwarf-human crossbreed? stick out tongueuke:

Thorin
The Power of the one ring is not known to any besides Sauron, others only guesed at how terrible it was. and another thing, if you had greater will and power than sauron you could wield the one ring and be its keeper.

turin
true, but who in middle earth had a greater will and power than sauron. some were tempted to try but ultimitely they knew they did not have that power (gandalf).

Thorin
tom bombadil had greater will and power, when he put the ring on nothing happend to him, even galadreil who is queen of the elves cannot claim she wasnt effected by its power.

turin
well, i dont know if tom had the greater power, just a different kind of power. it says that even if he had the ring he could not stand forever against the dark lord. The power he had over the ring was that it had no power over him, he didnt care for power. and i think that is the only reason he didnt desire it, he didnt care.

Thorin
very true, i think the only being to have power over the ring might be Morgoth, the first dark lord, or the king of Valinor, who created the elves and men and sank the island of Numenor when Ar-Pharazon sailed with a great navy to try and take the Valar by force.

Captain REX
Well of course they would have the power. They were Valar!!!

Sauron was supposedly the most powerful Maia to have existed. That would explain why others felt they did not have the power to wield it.

russ_mathers
apparently in ROTK, pippin has to stay with gandalf becoz the orcs and saraman thinks he has the ring. but wouldnt those weird dark riders been sensing him instead??? confused soz i know its stupid but hey.......and merry gets to lead his own army,,, go merry... its ur birthday we gonna party like its ur birthday , we're gonna kill some orcs like its ur birthday and we dnt give a f*** coz its ur birthday. You'll find me in the Dancing Pony with gollum the bony. mama frodos got wat u need , its the ring , come give him a hug...............
SORRY ITS SO CRAP CAME OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD rolling on floor laughing

i think im drunk smokin'

sauron
yes sauron does THINK he has the ring and he will be sending dark riders fr him, that is why he leads pippin AWAY from aragorn and the rangers because agains all nazgul united under their lord not even the future king elessar can win

BingaBonga
lmao, ur funny russ mathers, but that's okay ur right about poor pippin, he should be fightin too

Ariadne
From what I've seen they're going to make the fact that Sauron thinks Pippin has the ring a really big deal. Like, with Nazgul coming to Minas Tirith to get him, which is completely unrealistic. But yeah, Sauron knew that it was a hobbit, but he didn't know who the hobbit was who had the ring.

BingaBonga
but that doesn't make any since... nazgul could since the ring, and pippin doesn't have it, so how are they going to make it such a big deal, i mean i know that saruman said to the orcs bring all the hobbits, and that was about it in towers, but i'm confused... please explain...

russ_mathers
thanx i tried my best with the 50 Cent rip off. i understand now, what ur telling me... but still its quite confusing and something to tlk about

russ_mathers
basically i think that Saurman thinks that frodo gave the ring to pippin, thats why hes suspecting him, but its a kindave stupid thing to go on if it cant be proved. which is why i started this topic in the 1st place confused

nazgulinthedark
weeeeee! i have ring sensers! yaaay! *runs around in a circle yelling "i'm gonna get you pippin!" *

Ariadne
Because Sauron saw Pippin in the Palantir, he thinks that he is the ringbearer who Saruman has forced to look in the Palantir for some reason I don't remember exactly. So Gandalf takes him to Minas Tirith and that's the end of it in the books, but I think that in the movie the Nazgul come. And of course that wouldn't really happen because a Nazgul wouldn't just show up in Minas Tirith, Gandalf would have to scare it away somehow, the Nazgul would know that Pippin doesn't have the ring. I hope that helps (and it correct)!

sauron
nazgul DO come 2 gondor in the books if you remember pippin and beregond hear a cry of a wraith and then pippins heart is troubled a feeling of forboding comes over him, then if i remember rightly a nazgul does appear and the men are fighting it faramir and his crew i think and the nazgul is whuppin ass then gandalf comes with his whiteness and tottaly brays the wraith, (might not be exactly right but i know a nazgul appears at gondor while pippin is there) i remember pippin going GANDLAF

nazgulinthedark
waaa! i don't want to be brayed with Gandalf's whiteness!
hey! but i get to whup ass before he gets me!

Exa
I dont think Saruman will think Pip has the ring - we wont even see him in RoTK.
And the Nazgul only feel the ring when they are near OR when someone wears it.
Otherwise, they wouldve found Frodo far earlier.

SetoKaiba
So how do you guys think the ring will be destroyed but if you no for sure remeber to put spoilers around it and since I know I want to do it but does anyone know how I forgot embarrasment

Izz
Ever watched the FotR? 'The ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom, only there it can be unmade'

Exa
LoL
How
Well, how CAN you destroy a ring?
Use your imagination...

diegocala
Like said before there is only ONE way to destroy the ring

sauron
and its not with ginlis BRAND NEW AXE which was destroyed

goddam ring

BingaBonga
Eat it! laughing out loud

johnnys#1 fan
lollaughing out loud

BingaBonga
hey setokailba have u even seen the first movie?

nephalim27
They should have given Gimli a magical axe or something...

Exa
Lol big grin big grin

glaurung
On one of the other boards i think they have the answer, 3rd or 4th paragraph of the 'quote'

showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=2465&

sorry couldn't post as proper link, too new.

don't need a www btw.

BingaBonga
well come on everyone, you should know from reading the first like few chapters of the book, or even just read the back of the book...watch a few minutes of the movie, or just listen to the conversation on this board, there is a lot better things to ask then this...

fini
uh SetoKaiba, uh i dont want to sound rude.................but dont you know ANYTHING bout LOTR?????......have you read the book( hmmm i seriously doubt it)........and haven't u seen FOTR????........

the only they are have to give away is WHO destroys the ring..........and HOW

tiger lilly
someone once put somethin to me that really made me think...... how come one of the great eagles didnt take the ring and fly to mount doom and just drop it in.....?

then again... wudnt have made such a wonderful story i spose....

Verity
Maybe it would have been dangerous for one of the eagles to touch it like Gandalf and Galadriel...The whole purpose is someone as insignificant as a hobbit (apparently) had to do it, yet as daring and adventurous as Frodo!...

tiger lilly
umm... ok.... i thought it was funny at the time....

didnt think of it that way...

confused

fini
hmmm it would have gotten attacked by the nazguls????

billyboyd4ever
yea the eagle would have stuck out like a sore thumb, cuz those kinda animals just dont randomly fly in mordor...it woul dbe taken down in a instant, plus what was said abou t how htey are too significant and powerful

GABRIEL05
I think they'll just fart on it until it's rusty and smells bad. Then Sauron won't want it anymore.

Tired Hiker
Okay, I read the books just recently so I will spoil it and tell you how it all happens if you do so care to read. Frodo goes nuts (the ring posesses him) and he puts the ring on while standing above the fires of Mt. Doom to get passed Sam-Wise Gamgee who is intent on making sure Frodo get's rid of the ring. Frodo knocks Sam down and then Frodo runs into Gollum who bites off Frodo's finger in a scuffle and steals the ring with the finger still in it. Gollum loses his balance and falls into the firey casm from whence the ring was forged.

El Toro De Brah
Oh thanks for spoiling it for me

Trinity_Matrix
Well, I'm hoping that the Ring will get destroyed the same way as it happened in the book...because anything else is just destroying a great ending to a great book.

fini
argh tired hiker!!!.............why did you give it away to these lazy bums who cant find the time to read the book......but have the time to spend days and days online ASKING what happened.

mah
It will be.

BingaBonga
if pj made the ring be destroyed a different way than the flames of mount doom then that would be just dumb, that's like the basis of the story going to mount doom... not somewhere else.

lotrlover7000
Help

BingaBonga
hmmmm?

GABRIEL05
GOLLUM knocks sam over not Frodo

BingaBonga
Help on what?

Verity
No..I mean the Eagles r just as powerful as Galadriel and Gandalf.....they would have been dangerous with the ring!

SetoKaiba
yes I have seen both and have both i UNDER STAND THAT BUT WHAT i AM ASKING IS IF YOU KNEW THAT GOLUM TRYS GETTING THE RING BACK FROM FRODO AND HE TALCKES FRODO HES GETS THE RING BUT FALLS INTO THE FIRE WITH IT THAT IS HOW THE RING IS DESTROYED HAVE ANY OF YOU READ THE BOOKS

SetoKaiba
MORONS AND INSOLENT FOOLS do you not understand my question I am obbsed with lotr yes i have read every book at least twice and seen the movies a 10000 times i saw the second one in the theatre 3 times on opening night then 5 more times throughout the week i was asking if you knew how it was destroyed i knew before i ask the question I just wanted to see someof your alls answers

GABRIEL05
Who's mordor? Is it that lady with the black armor and the mace in the first movie?

nephalim27
Umm...**** off?

GABRIEL05
Oh a wise guy eh?

tiger lilly
gabriel are u asking a serious question or are u jokin....?

BingaBonga
i hope joking... no fights please....lol erm

amy_sith
the perfect end...
frodo die fighting with gollum because the spider...
and sam trow the ring in the end .... look the trailer ... is obvius guys

i hope soo confused

Radagast
The great ruling ring of power has MANY powers...to describe it in full detail would be terrable long and many things would be arguable but to sum it up for you...The ruling ring increases what your good at. IE: Sauron, who is courptable made the ring to control all other rings...nine rings for humans...nine human kingdomes...You know the easterlings and southernlings? Part of the reason he controls them is beacuse of the one ring...he would control gondor too if not for the fact that gondor was the only country that had both the will and military power to fight off sauron...at least delay his asailment. If gandalf got the ring not only would the ring beable to control one of the three elven rings which even great lord sauron could not...but once it returned to sauron, sauron would know of the other two rings. If aragorn for example got the ring...he would became the greatests leader of men and one of the most legendary fighters since the days of beor and beren. However one more power which is highly debated is to give/increase sorcery power. All you mental and physical ablitys would go up and you would beable to "Cast spells" like gandalf did with the door closing.

Finnaly I dont belive even denthor, faramir, boromir ect knew the TRUE powers of the ring. I belive they knew some but more like just that the ring was one kick ass peice of jewlary that could grant them great power and let there kingdome stay strong.

BingaBonga
have you read the books...amy sith?

GABRIEL05
Dude I am so joking! I've read ROTK like 10 times

Discos
I have read the book and know how it is destroyed, I finished reading it in July but when I first saw the Fellowshipof the Ring film, I wondered to myself when they explain how the ring must be destroyed
"The ring was built in MountDoom, so their it must be destroyed"

I thought it would be well funny if Frodo,sam etc reached Mount Doom and threw the ring into the fire hells of mount doom and nothing happened, then all that travel/hell adventure would have been a waiste.

Thorin
Aragorn" you cannot weild it, none of us can, the one ring answers to sauron alone it has no other master"

Ariadne
About Tom Bombadil, even though nothing happened to him when he put on the ring, it wasn't because he controlled the ring, it was because he controlled himself.

shaber
The only ones who could hope to wield the Ring to ANY extent would be those who ALREADY had a great innate skill of their own. When a hobbit wears the Ring, it controls him, turning him invisible. Sauron could wield it fully, so it did not make him invisible. Sauron could exist in both dimensions. The Ring wields any weakling who tries to wield it, only a strong being could hope to even begn to wield it. Sauron is the most powerful being still in Middle Earth. Sauron is bound up with the Ring, so while it lasts, he will justregenerate after any defeat, and won't suffer the long term affects of decay that afflict the evil, eg Saruman. The Ring is a symbol for infinity, for eternity.

Tom Bombadil was thrown into the story as an inconsistency. Tom is based on a doll in Tolkein's house. Bombadil is a spirit of nature and the Ring has no power over him. However, Tom would die if Sauron were to bring about an apocalypse and either destroy or render undead, everything living.

Hegemon875
this thread ended a while ago so you guys can stop posting wink

howie
Cool Thread!!! rock

howie
What use would Gondor have for the ring?? What powers would the ring give to that of a lesser man??

turin
good question, i think that boromir and denethor expect that they would be able to weild the ring, use it to see the mind of there enemy, it would be a rallying call to all those that appose him, and give them strength in battle, but they do not have the power to do so, so most likely it would make them invisible only (and mad)

becky_babes
they only want the ring cause they think they can handle the power
but they obviously know that they will end up getting killed

BingaBonga
they could use the ring, or try to, but it would soon overpower them, and kill them and they too will become a ringwraith and hand it over to sauron and middle earth would be destroyed.

sauron
well, even if they knew they couldnt use the ring,. if gondor announced they had the weapon of the enemy, sauron would take heed of it, go after the ring perhaps, but other kingdoms, elves dwarves rest of men, would see that now there was a chance given to them and join gondor, more likely than not sauron would be defeated, i dont care how good his dark forces, against most of middle earth he would be defeated

BingaBonga
another words, bormir, farmir, and denetor are all stupid wink

orlandoOYEA
Not faramir because he actually stopped himself in the end, but in the begining he was stupid. I believe that denethor is the stupidest of all for forcing Boromir to go, and the putting Faramir down all the time. Broke my heart wen i saw that seen. I actually relized why he was doing that to frodo and everything.

nephalim27
Umm, Faramir NEVER desired the ring. The movie changed him big time.

orlandoOYEA
Yea but it was only to make it work and i understand that, they went bak to the original thing in the end

Exa
I think the main question for this is - what IS power? How do you define power?

The Ring makes everybody wanna have it so why not Denethor and Boromir too

Camellia
My theory is (and I'm sorry if it's wrong!):

That basically, men are weaker than the other races and Sauron and/or the Ring are using this weakness in order to corrupt them (e.g. Boromir)

They start out (Boromir) with wanting to use the Ring with the will of performing good deeds in order to help Middle-earth but because the Ring knows of the desire to use it and knows of Men's weakness, they use this combination of things in order to corrupt them and to tempt them to try to take the Ring.

Just an idea I had! embarrasment

Verity
Denethor seemed to have the fixed idea that becoz he could see with the palantir, he could somehow get ahead of Sauron, and defeat him!Crazy ole bastard! roll eyes (sarcastic)

BingaBonga
yea, denethor was insane, that's why he burned himself at the pyre idiot!

Verity
laughing

SetoKaiba
Sorry about the outrage was in a bad mood but like what i was asking for was your ideals not how it really was destroyed i see only a few people got that but its all good

Verity
Yeah you did get pretty hot headed bk there! shifty Glad I'm not a moron any longer! wink

MISSY_EC
Well. Ofcourse! It's what the book said. I think she ment, what exactly is gonna happen in the movie. NOT the books! We all know that!
Has PJ made it RIGHT after the books? forexample does Frodo lose his finger?
Does Gollum die? Does the ring take over frodo completely?
I think that was the questions....
If you people can answer those questions then speak.

*MISSY_EC*

BingaBonga
wait, what hav e you read the books?

Gilraen
Find this such a stupid question. If you truly read the books, you know how it ends.
Just wait a couple of more weeks, until ROTK comes out..........then all your questions will be answered. Go read the books again. Go watch the DVD's. That'll keep you busy for the next 3 weeks.

NIGHTMARE434604
I THINK THE RING WILL BE DESTORYED
SHALL I TELL U EMEMEMEMEMEMEME
OK THEN
THEY GET TO THE VOLCANO TO DESTROY THE RING RIGHT AND GOLLOM FALLS IN WITH IT
I LIKE GOLLOM
AND GANDFAL AND FRODO GO TO HEVEN AND SAM GET MARRIED AND HAS A CHILD WELL SHOWS OVER FOKES BYE DREAM CATCHER

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>