Hero

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
What part does QT have in the making of this movie? It is a Jet Li movie that there was a trailer for when I saw Vol 2. It started out by saying "In association with Quentin Tarantino" or something to that extent, but it never says what he did for the movie. Anybody have info?

Fire
dunno myth, sorry

killthesunlight
maybe a producer

Myth
Just found out what was meant by "Presented by Quentin Tarantino". Hero is made in and for China but QT liked it so much, that he is paying for it to be released in the US.

gtsecc
I think he areed to "present" the film, and attach the trailer to Kill Bill Vol. 2, if Miramax would release it here in the states.

BTW, I have the Chinese DVD.
Does anyone happen to know what it says at the begining of the movie? Subtitles do not translate that part.

Crash Overload
Hero Teaser

This Movie looks like a blockbuster... But I am Confused beacsue Jet Lee is in it and its presented by Tarantino... confused

JKozzy
It's been released a few years ago in Asia, you could probably get it on a Region 3 or 4 DVD right now if you wanted; Taratino is in charge of localization, if you will, to the United States and other english speaking countries, so this movie is not so new after all.

shake zula
tarantino is the name behind the success... or the flop to be. but if QT put his name on it, there is a pretty good chance that the movie would kick a$$... who knows, pai mei might make an apperance, that would be cool....

SenshiNaka
Pai Mei isnt in it. The movie is pretty good, but some parts drag out a little too long for my tastes.

WindDancer
The original title is Ying Xiong. Hero is a movie that was done in 2002 and it was directed by Yimou Zhang. The reason QT is in the title is because he is responsible for introducing the film to the American audiences. Is kinda like Iron Monkey. QT wasn't the director but kinda like a producer of the film. Thanks to him marketing the film we were able to see here in the US.

hitmanyr2k
Tarantino had nothing to do with this film directing or production-wise. Miramax has had distribution rights to Hero since 2002 and they've been sitting on this movie forever. The only reason Tarantino's name is on this film is because Miramax knows he has a fan-base out there and a lot of ignorant people will most likely make the mistake of thinking Tarantino was somehow involved in the making of this film. I've had Hero on DVD for over a year now but I'm still looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.

badkittykitty
khan told me about hero months ago and I thought it was out..I looked every where for it and then all of a sudden there was the trailer for it when I seen kill bill...I really can't wait to see this movie.

lil bitchiness
I've heard of this film, i heard it few months back, they had a trailer on one of those ''free trailer DVD's'' you get with the magazine...looks good.thumb up

sarahvma
Yeah, AND because he begged Miramax for years to release it untouched. So technically it is being introduced to American audiences by him. But you are right - most of my friends figured he directed it, too.

Discos
Jet Lee = 40 strings

rox
did anyone see the previews it stars jet li and its directed by quentin tarintino

TrAnCeDuO
yeah i saw it...looks nice but...two things i noticed

1st of all what the hell is up with hero's blade? i dont remember anything about asian swords being hollowed in the middle...

2nd of all why are there guys with shields?...i cant think of one martial art that uses shields other than european styles...

manchichirtchit
my only question is when does it open in the US?

Myth
Its not directed by QT. Its "presented by" QT meaning that he is responsible for bringing it to US theaters. However, this does mean its probably good if its backed by QT.

Fearnix
i have seen it and own it, its ****ing great
jet li,donnie yen,Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi

btw TrAnCeDuO there are a few fighting tecs with shield

Shadow_King
isnt this movie kinda similar to kill bill.

Fearnix
its nothing like kill bill
hero has a chinese theme were as
kill bill has a japanese theme

Shadow_King
but it said in the trailer that jet lee is exacting revenge for what happened to his ppl so now he is gotta kill 4 deadly assasins to get to his target.

Shadow_King
and uma was exacting revenge for what happened to her so she had to kill 4 deadly asassins to get to bill.

Fearnix
no jet li is looking for revenge against heros not villans when you see it you will under stand

Shadow_King
ok ok

TrAnCeDuO
uhh...no there isnt...last time i checked asian martial arts dont use shields...they use theyre weapons to parry and block...and besides in the trailer the army looks more roman or greek oriented than asain

Fearnix
TrAnCeDuO have you seen Hero?? and yes they do use shields

TrAnCeDuO
no i havent....and if asian martial arts use shields then tell me...what were they called?

provide me with actual historical evidence and pictures of this and i will not say another word...but if you dont youll prove yourself an idiot and a person who knows nothing of martial arts(whereas i do)

Fearnix
any wepon can be used with a shield and still be a technique because thats why you have techniques called sword and sheild and i dobt you know any thing about martial arts

TrAnCeDuO
ok first of all i take japanese jiu jitsu... i know alot about martial arts...what about you what do you take?

second...that still doesnt make any sense...a shield and blocking are two seperate things...blocking is an action that you can do with anything...a shield is a seperate armanment thats used for the sole purpose of blocking...as far as i know only europeans used that! way to tell the difference fool!

dont ever doubt me...

Fearnix
no the chinses use sheild and sword techniques so the sheild is used as a weapon. i know kick boxing (european style) Muay Thai Kickboxing i am just about to learn sholin hopefully TaeKwonDo and trying to learn capaoeira

TrAnCeDuO
oh really? if the chinese did used shields what were they called?...and im still waiting on the historical proof!

Fearnix
i dont know the name...
btw you are a Samurai-in-training wtf is that about you did not say that you are learning Bushijutsu/Kendo.. i bet you think a ninja could take a Samurai in a fight aswell

TrAnCeDuO
okay mr "pretty hate machine" what the hell does my title have to do with anything? okay maybe i am just starting with martial arts but i know more than enough to know that they dont use shields...but the point is that your being totally irrelevent...second of all no i dont...i have my own personal philosophy of battle...you do know it is stupid to assume things about people right?

Fearnix
TrAnCeDuO:i know more than enough to know that they dont use shields.. laughing

you are training to be a Samurai your philosophy should be that of a samurai

TrAnCeDuO
i dont understand where your going with that post...and besides isnt it bad to be cookie cutter? after all just because i follow a martial art doesnt mean its going to rob me of my own personal views and philosphies...and as for the me being in training..it doesnt matter..people like study war all the time...in cases like these its knowledge that matters...not experience..

Fearnix
the art of the Samurai is just not physical training....

TrAnCeDuO
no crap sherlock...

Fearnix
well thats all you are doing

TrAnCeDuO
anyways this is getting way off subject...you have yet to provide any evidence that the chinese people used shields as seperate armanments...

Fearnix
i cant get you any pics if thats what you want

TrAnCeDuO
why not? after all historical websites like that should be fairly easy to find...

Fearnix
i cant at the moment
BTW why cant you look then

TrAnCeDuO
because im not the one that insists that your right...you defend your views fool!

Fearnix
i am not gonna defend some thing thats true it just proves you wrong
BTW why would i make some thing like that up????

TrAnCeDuO
i dont ever remember saying that you "made it up"

and it seems that we both believe our arguments are true...so it seems that one of us is going to actually have to search for a credible website that proves the other person wrong...ill be waiting...

TrAnCeDuO
another thing i couldnt help but notice is that the hero is a person"with no name" is QT taking another page out of western cinema?

Fearnix
cant we just call it a truce we are not gonna agree are we..

TrAnCeDuO
no not really unless facts are found...i would but itll take some time...

Fearnix
i cant get any info but if you could find it,it would be so much easyer

TrAnCeDuO
right...now what about my other question?

Fearnix
what do you mean??

TrAnCeDuO
^ that one...

Cinemaddiction
In Wu Shu, the shield is one of the 18 military weapons, falling under the short weapons. This stemming from a little thing called the Song Dynasty? Maybe you've heard of it?

Anycrap, shields were being used by the Yamato as far back as 297 A.D. and here's your proof, so you can relax..

Samurai-Archives.com

Fearnix
thanx man i owe you

elvish_child
OMG that looks so good with jet li . its a quentin tarantino film.

omg its so good i haven't seen it but really good all because of je tli awsome actor

theyungjai
it is a good movie, but quentin tarantino didnt direct it if thats wut u meant by "its a quentin tarantino" film. Although the commercials say that it was "Directed by Quentin Tarantino", I think that it's just a marketing scheme, cuz it should really say "Presented by Quentin Tarantino". From what i understand, he payed for the distribution of the movie into theaters of english speaking countries because he really liked the film.

theyungjai
QT didn't direct it, so hes not adding any western influence into it. To answer your question I would have to spoil most of the main storyline for you, including the ending.

I suspect that HERO will be presented just like CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON: in it's original undubbed mandarin version with english subtitles. If you really cant wait to see it, all you have to do is mosy on down to your local Chinese Video store (if you have Chinatowns in your area, you should start there) and pick up HERO for 5$ to 10$ a pop depending on if u want the DVD or VCD. Make sure to ask if they have english subtitles tho

Fearnix
Hero is sooooo much better than CTHD.
BTW QT has not got the skill to direct something like Hero

theyungjai
Thats wut i'm sayin. It pisses me off to see him take credit for such a great movie

BadKitty
edited 2 peoples post in here,no flaming each other in this thread or any other for that matter..if I have to edit any more posts for trolling and flaming I'll be giving out days away from here to cool off as well mad

WindDancer
As BK said....no flamming please.

As for Hero...GO SEE IT! It looks tremedous in the big screen! If you own the dvd from overseas then you know the film would look great on the big screen! I'm glad QT helped promote the film and in a way brought here to the US. The film is too good to be missed. Just go see it!

BadKitty
I went and seen it over the weekend...it was visually stunning I will probably will get it on dvd...but donnie yen wasn't in it long enough for me sad

BlackMamBA
Im gong to see if i can go watch it over the summer.

Imperial_Samura
Salutations all. I know that Hero isn't actually a Tarantino movie as such, but I just thought I would see if anyone could tell me what his relationship to it is (it isn't out yet in Australia) and if it is a good as the hype suggests. At the moment I am quite excited, and surely if Quentin likes it it must be good......... smile

Shaolin Monk
QT is a hardcore martial arts fan. When he watches movies that are foreign that he likes, he discusses them with Miramax. If they agree that the movie would do well outside of whatever country it originated in, then they release it in the US, and put "Quentin Tarantino Presents:..." at the top.

So he basically helps promote films, like Hero, in the United States, or at Film Festivals.

Without saying too much that would contain spoilers, but answering your question, I wouldn't say Hero was as good as the hype suggests. I enjoyed most of the fight sequences, but I didn't care for the overall story. Most people that I have talked to agreed that the story was much different than what they thought from the trailers. Is it still good, and fun to watch? Definitely.

Imperial_Samura
Interesting, thank you.

Bierbommetje
Yep, it was definitely not what I expected

I expected some more creative fights
And the story sucked ass, but hey you dont go watching this movie for the story

EDIT:

MildPossession
I have had Hero on dvd for about a year now, it's worth the watch because it is just sublime, a visual treat!!!! Tarantino is right about the film.

check out House of the Flying Daggers too, got some good scenes in.

WindDancer
I gotta a chance to see it on the big screen this past summer and it was a marvelous movie! Truely artistic and philosophical. I'm glad that QT help bring it to the big screen and help market the film here in the US. It was wonderful to see this movie in theathers.

pr1983
great movie, loved every second of it, i never rated jet li much as an actor, but he did a freat job imo.

tabby999
on all the posters and ads it has the name of the director (who i cant remember or spell) and all that but "Quentin Tarantino presents" in it.
what does this mean, what role did quentin play in the movie?

Bierbommetje
I think he was responsible for the release of the film outside the east.

mc pee pants
pretty much. the movie was released in asia about two years ago and quentin probably fronted the monet for the american release.

<<Solo>>
He produced it. In America.

tabby999
wow, thats dedication

shaofutzer
He didn't produce anything. Do you even know what producing a movie is all about? The movie was already fully produced and available on DVD for years before he stole it and put his name on it. It has absolutely nothing to do with him and vice versa. He just wants the bucks. That's all there is to it.

MildPossession
He didn't steal it and put his name on it in a negative way, if it wasn't for Tarantino you probably would have gotten an a limited American release with a load of cuts.

He put his name on Presenting it because the studio said they would cut parts of it out if he didn't.

TrAnCeDuO
on an extremely unrelated note does anyone want the main characters sword?

mc pee pants
cool blade.

Ms Hyde
Anyone seen Hero? It came out this week (Aus) and I am planning to watch it tomorrow. I did a quick search and the critics seem to like it - even talks of the Oscar is mentioned. It appears that it was first screened 2 years ago but the premiere photos were as recent as August?

Edited - Should have gone to the Quentin Forum . Sorry, but I did try searching for it before posting! confused

Cinemaddiction
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21697&highlight=donnie+darko

It's in the Q.T. forums, for what reason, I don't know. I liked the movie a lot, as unsatisfied as I was with the ending.

Crazy88No.1
Awesome movie, Jet li kicks arse! smile

Telemicus
Great movie, watched it the other day. Quite an original way of telling a story and almost non-stop fighting. Indeed lots of kicking of arses.
Beats crouching tiger into a cocked hat. (whatever that means)

Apparently it was released in the West 2 years after being made at the request of QT?

Cinemaddiction
Quentin also got "Iron Monkey" into the U.S., almost 9 years after it debuted. It's insane to watch, because Master Ping's choreography is so far ahead of it's time.

Walfredo
Fantastic movie. It beat out Crouching Tiger hidden Dragon in my book.

Crazy88No.1
way better than crouching tiger! big grin

WindDancer
A fine film! Kung Fu movie geeks like are thrill the film made it to the big screen. happy

Cinemaddiction
I enjoyed CT,HD a little bit more. The story was a little richer, and the ending of "Hero" really left me unsatisfied. I'm still planning on buying it (3 weeks), because the "poetry in motion" scale of "Hero" is something special.

pr1983
id have to say crouching tiger is better, but hero is close, the ending wasnt as bad as it could have been imo, but i thought the movie could have been longer.

have got it already on dvd, watch it all the time

MildPossession
Had Hero on dvd for ageessss, but yes, Hero is fantastic, absolutely loved it. Check out his House of Flying Daggers also, good film.

rwoonacott

Runing_Assailnt
And they say that a Hero can save us
I'm not gonna stand here and wait

I saw it in a theater when it came out in Chinese. Very awesome!
Another good Jet Li movie: Romeo Must DIe! I own that.

pr1983
rwoonacott, what was it you didnt understand? i'd be happy to help you if i could.

SoldeVenus
Hero is awesome, and although its going to come out soon I think it was worth it seeing it in the movie theaters. The colors, the sound, the movements are so much better. When we first saw it my friend and I just sat there and looked at each other amazed. In my opinion, Tanrantino was right to praise Hero as he did, I have to give him that one, and I'm not even a big Tarantino fan. Although I don't like how his name is al around the movie. He didn't make it. erm

As for comparint Hero to Crouching Tiger, I don't think its fair to compair them to each other. It just depends on each individual's personal like. The way that I see it is that Crouching Tiger had more of a plot, while Hero was more artistic. I like artistic movies, so I liked Hero a little better. But in my opinion they are AWESOME movies, and I can't get tired of watching them. I don't own many movies (Poor college student), but Hero is worth buying.

Cinemaddiction
Yeah, I'm not much for Tarantino's work, but he has brought both "Iron Monkey" and "Hero" to the forefront, for which I thank him.

SoldeVenus
I haven't seen Iron Monkey. I think I'm going to see it this week. I've also been dying to see Shaolin Soccer.

MildPossession
See them both now!! smile excellent films.

TOH
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21697&highlight=donnie+darko

It's in the Q.T. forums, for what reason, I don't know. I liked the movie a lot, as unsatisfied as I was with the ending.

It was because Quentin really liked this film, and somehow used his pull to get Miramax to brush the cobwebs off this film, and release it in the USA.
And the ending is perfect IMO yes

Fionnula
lthis is such a stunning fil..i really loved it..not as good plot wise as Crouching Tiger though

dark1365
Originally posted by TrAnCeDuO

1st of all what the hell is up with hero's blade? i dont remember anything about asian swords being hollowed in the middle...

2nd of all why are there guys with shields?...i cant think of one martial art that uses shields other than european styles...
To each their own.

Otaku_Sith
Hero is just the r0x00rzz get it.

Fanboy
Originally posted by TrAnCeDuO

Dude there was always shield and sword fights if you ever watch Documentaries about martial arts movies there are 3 I have already seen.

goldendartkilla
I thought it was a good film most notable fight scene is with jet li and donnie yen, a little too much sword play and flying "wire fu" for my tastes but overall I really enjoyed the movie.

Fanboy
The movie and fights were amazing it is just the fight Choreographer Ching Siu Ting when he uses hand to hand fights I see him only using kicks as was done in Dr.Wai and the scriptures with no words.

Fanboy
Originally posted by Fianna
lthis is such a stunning fil..i really loved it..not as good plot wise as Crouching Tiger though

I noticed Hero was more tragic though but not better but more tragic.

atv2
It's about Broken Sword and Snow. At the beginning of the film, we see the emperor with their weapons but at the end, we see the two of them about to fight with their weapons in hand after Nameless refused to kill the emperor. How did they get their blades back when Nameless sent them to the emperor?

rotiart
The movie is about a plot by "hero" and the other rebels to kill the king. They helped him get close to the king by giving him artifacts that would look as though he defeated them. Since broken sword and flying snow were in on the plot.... they probably gave him fake weapons.

atv2
Originally posted by rotiart
The movie is about a plot by "hero" and the other rebels to kill the king. They helped him get close to the king by giving him artifacts that would look as though he defeated them. Since broken sword and flying snow were in on the plot.... they probably gave him fake weapons.

I took a another look at "Hero", they didn't get their weapons back. They got another pair of swords around the end.

ttaa
i like the movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.