New War of the Worlds movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
I heard some rumours, concering Tom Cruise, Stephen Speilberg, and it actually being set in 1890s England like the original.

A take on the actual original storyline interests me greatly- anyone got any more?

BackFire
Sounds interesting.

<<Solo>>
Indeed..Most book adaptations have been pretty kool lately...Hopefully this is.

Ushgarak
The idea that it will be more like the original is indeed interestuing... if, however, some thing can be accepted by a modern day audience:

1. A story called War of the 'Worlds' axctually concerns an invasion of the UK

2. Aliens of such apparent intelligence are defeated by something that seems freaking obvious to modern day minds

3. It is not so much a valiant sturggle as a travelogue during the apparent end of civlisation, with a few morals thrown in.

If Tom Cruise is indeed in and is indeed the journalist hero of the story, it is hard to see him taking so much of a passive role- all the Journalist does in the story is run like hell, try and find his fiance, and then go a bit mad at the end before he finds out everything is ok.

On the other hand... and this might just be because I just read the second volume oif League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which was most entertaining with its take on the Martians... if they can get the visuals right this could be astounding.

BackFire
"If Tom Cruise is indeed in and is indeed the journalist hero of the story, it is hard to see him taking so much of a passive role- all the Journalist does in the story is run like hell, try and find his fiance, and then go a bit mad at the end before he finds out everything is ok."

Heh, that was pretty much all he did in Minority Report, just run away!

Ushgarak
Not an invalid point... but even so, he pulled off heroics at the end. Will he really accept a role in whuch he is essentially powerless?

BackFire
Probably not, just a bit of joking around in that last post.

But from the sound of it, it indeed does not sound like the token Tom Cruise performance.

Ushgarak
The rumours will have to be sifted...

You also have the problem of making an object as basically fatuous as a tripod look good on screen.

BackFire
haha, surely they will update teh ship to make it visually stimulating for todays audiences.

Ushgarak
Well, the 1955 movie had them in flying machines instead... but that actually kinda detracted from the style of it.

And if they are not in walking machines then there is a lot of stuff you have to lose out on; chasing the journalist through the Thames, and the battle with the Thunderchild in the Estuary...

It all depends on how faithful they want to keep it, but these are all fantastic things to film if they get it right.

<<Solo>>
Agreed Tom Cruise Isn't much of an actor in most of his films other than Rainman. But then again this isn't much of a part.

Ushgarak
Heck, it's his wife in the original, not his fiancee... I am letting the audio version confuse me. Mind you, that audio version is neat!

Anyway, if anyone gets any news on this, I would like to hear... maybe it's not going to be like the original after all.

Colabee
My dad will be over the moon. He loves the original.

punkyhermy
is it just me or war of the worlds getting really old and boring!

finti
it is just you

me too, ohhh a new make. goes loking for Jeff Waynes CD "War Of The Worlds" Im gonna sit down and listen to tunes like "Eve Of The War" and "Forever Autumn"............ smooooooooooooth. I hope they will make a remake of the original

Kaleanae

Rambo
Is the movies supposed to take place In the late 19th century/early 20 century or is it supposed to take place at present time?

Drifter101
with our new special effects it will be entertaining, we havent had a remake of those types of movies in a while, would be kinda atticipated if it was hyped up

Ushgarak
We don't have a confirmation of when the new film will be set, sadly.

Rambo
I actually went out and bought the book,"War of the Worlds today". I want to read the story and watch the movie old and new to compare.

lydeea2004
I have never read the story, but I think that the movie's fx actually have stood the test of time quite well to have been made in the fifties. However, neither the "League" movie or the "Time Machine" remake, both which are set in the late 19th century, did well at the box office, unless I am mistaken. I like the "League" movie ok, and I like the TimeMachine, but I can only judge by the movies, as I have not read those novels, either. I am always dubious to make movies over that are now considered classics. Planet of the Apes also comes to mind, as it they changed it from the book, too, and it had become a classic, and the remake flopped. bunny

cal31
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/538/538225p1.html?fromint=1

Well everything has all of a sudden gotten signed on this movie and it's now going to start filming this fall and coming out next summer. The reason, MI:3 got pushed back and Spielberg's Olympic film.

Red Superfly
Wow, I hope this movie get's made. I hope they use the old War Of The Worlds music.

Drumdude1167
Tim Robbins and Miranda Otto are in talks to join Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds, says the Hollywood Reporter.

The project is the big-screen adaptation of H.G. Wells' 1898 classic novel, one of the best-known alien-invasion stories.

Robbins would play astronomer Ogilvy, while Otto would play the wife of the main character, to be played by Tom Cruise. Dakota Fanning is also set to appear as their daughter.

This movie is based on the book named War of the worlds by H.G. Wells, which i have read. One of the greatest books i have ever read, tell me some of you comments you think about this movie, CAN YOU BELIVE THIS IS GOING TO COST A TON OF MONEY, SPIELBERG WILL SPARE NO EXPENCE I GUARENTEE

WindDancer
Let's see....it was reported before released that Waterworld was very costly.....then came Titanic.....and now War of the Worlds......and since is Spielberg directing who knows on the future of this movie.

BloomBabyGirl
well the book bored me to sleep (but with ADD and dyslexia im sure u can see why) so i guess if they go all out in this movie it shuold be good

Cipher
I just don't see the need to remake a classic movie. I've yet to see a remake that didn't suck......

Drumdude1167
i dont think that was a movie b4, i just think its making a movie by way of book, OK

Cinemaddiction
I'm there, all claims of cinematic granduer simply by way of spenderture aside.

BloomBabyGirl
oceans 11

Cinemaddiction
2002 "Ocean's Eleven" was a box office smash, and has plenty of fanfare.

Drumdude1167
yea that movie rocked, cant wait for oceans 12

lil bitchiness
Merging.

Use the search function before opening a new thread.

Drumdude1167
you stole my topic mofo im going to kill you

lil bitchiness
Dont let me warn you again, because you will get a ban next time i do!

vvvrulz
Lighten up.

forumcrew
a lot of people have mentioned how tom cruise and speilberg are attached to this, but so is dakota fanning, who for a child is an amazing actress

aealbany
ALot of the film is being shot in the Catskills here near Albany alot of eqip trucks are there already in a town called athens.. Movie extras by the hundred i heard will be needed

Holcomb
I don't think it's supposed to be the most expensive. In fact, i read somehwere today that the budget is only around $100 mil.

cal31
No, they annouced it is going to be the most expensive movie ever.

forumcrew
what was the figure? because without a number they cant have any idea of this.. and where did they announce it at?

GCG
there was a rough figure over here Film Force

and i remember an article in the local paper on the 9th May 2004:

WANTED FOR FILM SHOOTING

1000 EXTRAS

To work for approxametly in June / Early July

We are especially seeking:

Long-haired males of all ages with beards/sideburns or willing to grow them.
STRICTLY long-haired females (minimum shoulder length) with natural hair color.
Teenagers with natural hair color (no crew cuts or very short hair).
All must have an enthusiastic attitude and willing to work long hours possibly also at night.

Auditions will be held at the Catholic Institute as Follows

bla bla bla..........

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This film was not shot for some unknown reasons. But we gathered that IT WAS a SS film and a PA (Production Assistant) who always lands o job in them said it was the War Of The Worlds.
While the guy doing the auditions said it was a terrorist film ; which we assumed as being, at that time, The 1972 olympics project, which is now known as Vengeance.
As usual they used a nom de plum on the application form which was 'Waterlake Productions'

Holcomb

forumcrew
matrix 2 and 3 were over 300 million and the 300 was a minimum figure

skunker
test

cal31
Every place I've read says that it's gonna cost more than the Titanic, which currently is the highest costing movie ever with over $200 million.

Holcomb
Did you read my post? That was taken directly from an article stating the budget is NOT $200mil.

Scarpa
Ive never read the book I saw the movie though

Darth Vicious
I recently found out from my local newspaper that they are gonna shot some scenes in the town next to mine which is about 10 min. from where i live before christmas and confirmed it as it is posted on Steven Spielbergs web site, I cant wait!, lol

Darth Vicious
check the november 19 update in the link below to see what im talking about!

http://www.spielbergfilms.com/

SaTsuJiN
Yeah Tom Cruise and the gang are supposed to be at the edge of my town making a gas station to blow it up... :sigh:.. its all the way at 1st street (im on 24th) so I dont think imma hike 23 blocks to go see tom.. I will however hike that many to pick up my collectors edition of world of warcraft.. w00tie w00t!

GCG
some pruduction pics

GCG
and

GCG
and

GCG
and the website War Of The Worlds

GCG
and

edog
Yea, I can't wait for the film -- big fan of all films Spielberg! Thanks for the pics!

GCG
Teaser Trailer up and running Clickerty Click

cal31
yeah, too bad it shows basically nothing, but this still is one of my most anticipated movies of next year, right next to Episode III and King Kong.

Myth
Screw King Kong. The only reason it is anticipated is because of Peter Jackson. I personally think the remake will suck just like the Godzilla remake.

fini
welllll teaser is out

lol thank god there will be cinema life for me after LOTR

hotsauce6548
the trailer was hot. can somebody explain wut the story's about without spoiling anything?

Shadow_King
The poster of this film looks cool.

GCG
H. G. Wells' sci-fi classic about the invasion of Planet Earth by aggressive creatures from Mars. The Martians blast their atomizing death beams through most of the major cities in the world. Scientsis and governments are in disarray on what to do; What can save the Earth? The answer is simpler than mankind might ever have guessed

MornGlory
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/mc101.gif

Cipher
I hope this doesn't suck........

forumcrew
first official pic..

http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Science_Fiction/War_of_the_Worlds&image=wotw1.jpg&img=&tt=

Thoma5
wat is this show abt???

GCG
Universal Studious Set -

looks like a boeing

http://www.larrymccusker.com/waroftheworlds.jpg

GCG
concept art

http://www.martinmercer.com/images/concept_Martian-WarMachine_det.jpg

http://www.martinmercer.com/images/concept_Martian-War-Machine.jpg

isxia
Check it out guys its been leaked on the net.

h**p://iesb.net/video/wotwsb.mov

DarkYoda
Anybody seen this yet?

War Of The Worlds Superbowl Teaser

http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0MBKH6LJ1FR8S2O5NQ6A1OC7X9

2.56 MB

Happy Dance

This movie is gonna be awesome! cool

Cinemaddiction
Looks like the link is down or its already been removed.

DarkYoda
New link... if it goes down, PM me.

http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1NQ5QMAY1UBH00D1LYGWWKB13B

rockon

cal31
Man, they really aren't showing much in the previews at all. It really does get my anticipation up even more though.

Solo
People, this took loads of time to hunt down. But here: http://www.omelete.com.br/superomelete/filmes/paginas_db/guerra_dos_mundos__a_-_comercial.asp

Solo
My bad, But I have a direct link.

renaphooh
I saw the original not to long ago and i think that the space ships and stuff were really good four that time. now spieldberg is doing it u know theres gonna be alot of really good special effects and a realy good cast. if you notice he dosen't show anything in the previews he just tells the

DarkYoda
Take note that it is the superbowl teaser so if you watch the superbowl you should catch the same glimpse at WOTW.

Beastro
Trailers gonna be shown today on the Superbowl Happy Dance

V@LL3jOk!D707
this movie is coming out on my birthday!

DarkYoda
War Of The Worlds Super Bowl TV Spot

...has been officially released online!!

Go here to watch it...

Super Bowl TV Spot - Large
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/large_sb.html

Large - Direct Link (Right Click Save Target As)
http://images.apple.com/movies/paramount/waroftheworlds/waroftheworlds-sb30_m480.mov

FS - Direct Link (Right Click Save Target As)
http://movies.apple.com/movies/paramount/waroftheworlds/waroftheworlds-sb_fs1.mov

eek!

Beastro
It was a super gay trailer.I wish they could've made it better for the SUPERBOWL sad

Cinemaddiction
It's a teaser trailer. What did you expect?

Beastro
I was under the impression that it was going to be the actual trailer embarrasment.Seeing as how theres already a teaser out.

Cinemaddiction
What was shown during the Super Bowl is the teaser. The movie isn't out for another 4 1/2 months. Now's not the time to be promoting it, especially with the SW hype machine gearing up. It'll get lost in the shuffle.

Beastro
They promoted the Hulk a little while before it's release with a good trailer during the superbowl in 2003.

Cinemaddiction
Spielberg knows how to market a movie. I trust we'll see another trailer pretty soon, but in theatres first. There's been so much hype surrounding the movie, they aren't even necessary. I mean, Episode 3 is out almost an entire month prior, and there's only been 1 teaser trailer, and it has yet to hit television.

BackFire
There's a good number of people who don't know about the movie yet (my dad for instance, he saw the commercial today and was like "Oh wow, they're remaking WOTW? That should be good"wink.

The superbowl is the perfect time to advertise anything. No matter how many people know about it, there are always some who don't.

crickey77
I thought the clip they showed during the superbowl was perfect because it was enough to get people talking and peak interest, but didnt tell much more about it. I think this should be a good one.

Holcomb
The super bowl spot really got my interest. That look on Dakota's face is great.

Smasandian
Also, the trailer didnt show any of the aliens, which would of sucked.
It's a Spielberg movie with Tom Cruise and eneormus budget and a sci-fi cult classic. So, I personally dont think it will get lost with Episode 3. It might not do as well, but it will still sell gazillon's of dollars.
Spider-Man came out at the same time as Episode 2 and it did better, so anything can happen.

Draco69
Of course they didn't show the aliens. It would ruin the surprise. They did the same thing with Godzilla and Independence Day. They NEVER show the monster in a trailer.

Beastro
Yeah,you dont show your main attraction in the teaser.

DarkYoda
The reason it wasn't longer is that it costs many millions of dollars just for 30 seconds of time during the Super Bowl. If it had been 4 times as long? The movie already costs more than any other movie ever made.

Smasandian
Sometimes they do, but not usually. And if you ask, I cant think of one off the top of my head, but I know Alone in the Dark showed its monster.

Beastro
"Alone in the Dark" didnt show its entire monster and no one knew from watching the "Hide and Seek" trailer who the real monster was.

eleveninches
She's always great cool

Holcomb
Costs more than any other movie? Hardly. The total budget is a around $100mil and i'm pretty sure both Waterworld and Titanic cost more to make.

Smasandian
I thought it had alot bigger budget than $100 mil.

Beastro
Wow only 100 mil.Thats about the budget of the "Peter Pan" flick messed

Cinemaddiction
The budget is $128 Million dollars, actually. Reason being is because that doesn't include any of Cruise's or Spielberg's cut, as they did in "Minority Report", will collect a percentage of the earnings AFTER the film is done.

Had all the actors cuts been figured in, we'd be looking at closer to $200 M plus.

DarkYoda
Well, unless the figures have changed I had heard that this movie was going to cost more than Titanic because it was being put into production so quickly. I don't know what the current numbers are on the project.

Lord_Andres
I WANT THIS MOVIE NOW! if only they can to such a good improvment as when The Thing was remade, then this'l be true winner!

Holcomb
I've also seen that figure too. And from the looks of the super bowl spot, it's worth every penny.

Holcomb
Bump to share this set report I read on another site.

Flash back to Wednesday night - I'm completely out of it. I've been up for endless hours and had only slept for three hours the night before and then I get the call. I'm so drained and exhausted that when I was asked to cover the set for Steven Spielberg's upcoming remake of the classic HG Wells story 'War of the Worlds' I actually declined. I had to pull my ear away from the phone when I got a blaring, "Are you freaking nuts?! This will probably never happen again!" So I said ok- the next morning after sleeping 13 hours I woke up and the first thing that crosses my mind is, "What the f--- was I thinking?!" I was truly out of my mind...

So I'm sitting bumper to bumper on the 405 in LA heading north into the valley wondering if there is any chance I'll make it in time. It's finally sinking in, I'm going to meet Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg and watch these geniuses in action. Lucky enough the traffic clears and I'm home free.

As I approached the set, for the first time in my life I'm completely star struck. There are hundreds of tents set up along the line of the shoot. As I peered down the road I could see a section of the road beaming with lights - it looked like something out of a 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind.' There were giant cranes and hundreds upon hundreds of people; some working, some helping out and some acting. Behind the lights, cranes and all the madness was a pair of mountains that also appeared to be lit up. It was the most beautiful scenery you've ever seen in a movie set, one can only wonder if this was also part of Spielberg's vision.

The rest is here - http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/warworlds1.php

el barto
this is the most expensive movie ever made....2 bill. dollars geek

Smasandian
Yah right, 2 billion dollars, thats a load of crap. Unless your joking.

JamalMagloire
Its not 2 billion dollars. It is around $128 mil - which for a movie of this magitude is pretty moderate.

dizzyblondegirl
however much it costs it still looks F*****g fantastic maybe one of spielbergs better movies

Holcomb
I agree. Have you seen the new japanese trailer yet? It's got some solid new footage.

dizzyblondegirl
no i havent is it good?

Lord_Andres
Hey Holcomb, could you post us a linkn to that trialer??

PIZZA WARRIOR
Actually, you confusing this with another version being filmed in England, and is due for release anytime.

A low budget indie film, it does indeed tell the original story as told by author H.G. Wells in the 1890's, in period detail.

Darth_Vader05
There is going to be a War Of The Worlds movie coming out in the summer and it is going to rock even better than the original.

PIZZA WARRIOR
I agree with you.

I am just commenting on a different film, not the Spielberg movie.

By the way, can't Hollywood come up with something original, especially this move has been remade once already.

Anyone remember "Independence Day" ???

That movie was almost a complete copy of "War of the Worlds", except on key points like technology and being politically correct.

Anyway, this movie going to be interesting only to see how a 'great director' can waste $128 million.

Once we have satisfied our curiousity, on to the next 'bomb'.

Well, we'll see !!!!!

PIZZA WARRIOR
As to whether it will rock 'even better than the original', I DOUBT IT !!!

But, we shall see.

Mandorallen
The original "despite its modern day judgment of Corny-ness" is one of my favorites still today. But I love speilburg, and I have the utmost faith that this will be an exellent movie.

Smasandian
I heared Spielburgh is actually staying true to the H.G Wells than doing an actual remake of the original movie.
Correct me if Im wrong but didnt the book have alot to do with the destruction of nature instead of the movie solely focusing on the alien invasion?

Mandorallen
I watched the old movie. sad

alic88
http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1736

this article is not good.. the aliens wont be from mars

alic88
Based on what I have been able to piece together from various websites, the Spielberg and Cruise interviews on Dark Horizons and my knowledge of the book, I think I have the plot figured out!

Spielberg has expressed a geniune admiration for the book. This heartens me into thinking he will remain as close as possible to the story, if NOT to the idea that the invaders are Martians.

The interview with the artists on the aint it cool website say the "aliens" are from another (perhaps parallel) dimension.

So here's my best guess at this point....

The aliens aren't martians. They are ??? from another dimension who have evolved into something horrific (and carnivorous!). More on this later.

They have decided to invade this planet using their advanced technology and enslave the human race for food.

The movie will follow the book, only instead of a lone man, it will be a family who is trying to escape enslavement. This provides more of an emotional story for moviegoers who might bore with only a single person trying to escape the invaders.

In the TV spot, the character of "Manny" is most likely the character of the landlord of the Spotted dog which the narrator borrows a horse cart to remove his wife to Leatherhead ahead of the Martian advance and the narrator later finds him killed by martians.

Now for the kicker...the invaders AREN'T ALIENS at all.

They are humans! Humans who through whatever circumstances evolved or where changed into the horrific creatures we no doubt will see in the movie.
This explains why the invaders would come here, because they understand us and know that we are compatable with them as a potential food supply...also a key element in Wells' book!

In the book, Wells makes reference that we as humanity are evolving into the martians, using technology for our physical needs and atrophying our bodies while our brains expand.

So this is my take on what I think the plot line is going to be. The invaders are or once were humans and they are now feeding upon us. The ending will probably be a variation on what Wells described...some earthly disease or condition that the parallel humans are unaware of and unprepared for. It won't be humans who stop them, it will be something in our environment. Some posters have already suggested smallpox, but I find this a little too predictable.

alic88
link to the japanese trailer.. much better than the superbowl 1

http://www.calibra.eclipse.co.uk/eve/video...nesetrailer.wmv

Smasandian
I dont know where you got the whole humans all screwed theory but from what I read its going to be a redition of the book and NOT a remake. This ideas seems to me alot better than the older Wells movie.

alic88
its funny tht spielberg has said he will remain loyal2the book yet he has also said that the aliens wont be martians..

Smasandian
This is the article you posted and this is a part of it, " Among those details was confirmation that the aliens invading Earth (which are not Martians) will indeed be featured as mechanical tripods, as they were imagined by the books author, H.G. Wells."

The original movie was about martians invading the earth while the Wells book was about mechanical tripods, which was stated.

So Spielburgh is actually staying loyal to book but NOT including martians.

FlappingMangera
Good to see spielberg staying loyal. Do we know where the aliens are from?

JamalMagloire
Wow - I'm impressed there is so much new footage being that they just released a trailer during the Superbowl. This is fantastic - keep it coming.

Smasandian
I have no idea where they come from.
If its in the book well its probably in the movie.

I never read the book but saw the original. It would be interesting how different they are.

If you do know where they aliens come from, please dont tell me.

Holcomb
Hey, sorry I wasn't quicker. Did you see that someone else posted the link?

Cinemaddiction
Bumping for DBG.

b-dan
dude the preview for that movie was out in decembur sad sad sad

cal31
New trailer being released tonight!!!:WAR OF THE WORLDS - News & Updates

Trailer #2 Online Release Details!

The newest trailer for War of the Worlds will premiere at 12:01 AM Eastern Time on Friday March 18, 2005 (Thursday March 17, 9:01 PM Pacific) - Exclusively on Apple Trailers.

You will be able to find the link to the trailer online, on the official site (http://www.WarOfTheWorlds.com) after 12:01 AM EST on Friday.

---
War of the Worlds
Only in theaters June 29

cal31
here it is:http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/large_2.html
looks awesome indeed

ragesRemorse
Not sure what happen with speilberg and the terminal. god what a piece a shit that was. Catch me if you can was okay, but more so from performances than directing. If anyone was going to do a War of the worlds remake though, who better than speilberg. I'm kind of excited even though tom cruise is headlining it.

fruits
im really looking forward to seeing this one

DarkYoda

Holcomb
That is intense. Anyone else catch the tripod??????

fruits
this movie looks soooo AWESOME!! i can't wait to see it.

Holcomb
I just had a second viewing. good stuff.

sexxysixx
Tom Cruise can go shag himself. He doesn't even have the jewels to talk about if accepting this role has any impact on his status in the Scientology community, calling any who question him on the subject, "glib" and "ignorant". He needs to pull his brain out of his scrotum for a second and focus. mad

GCG
blink
What has the Scientology community got to do with Tom Cruise and the Novel, War of The Worlds ?

hotsauce6548
I don't know.

lotr456
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with the very first authentic review of WAR OF THE WORLDS that we've gotten, this one from the German premiere. For those that want to know nothing about this film, the below review is very positive. There aren't many spoilers below at all, but if you want to keep 100% pure, I understand that. The rest of you enjoy! I can't wait for this sucka!
Hi Harry

I have just seen Steven Spielberg's "War of the worlds" here in Germay. I'm not good at English and I've never written a movie review before, so I won't torture you with one coming from my hands. I also know that Spielberg has asked journalists to wait with their reviews so I'll respect that and simply put down a few lines about my feelings of this movie. I'll break down in a few sections to make it easier for myself:

1 - The story

Well you'll recognize certain elements from the book and the overall plot is also pretty similar to the book, but other than that there are not that many elements from H.G Wells classic. That doesn't mean I didn't like what they did with the movie version, on the contrary! This movie has a tight storyline. It is a real survival story and also remniscent of some of the old disaster movies from the 70s, with a small group of characters fighting to get out of the way of destruction. Of course it focuses mainly on Ray (Cruise) and his two kids and their journey. I read before that this was going to be a very "intimate" story about surviaval and that it is. People who hope to see huge scale destruction will be disappointed. The action doesn't really get any bigger than what you have already seen in the trailers. It is told through the eyes of a small family, and the only action we see is what they see. No swooping helicopter shots of destruction and pulverised landmarks. However we hear about a lot of terryfieng stuff through radios, military and others, and it lets you imagine all these thing if you know what I mean. The action scenes feel more like a documentary, sometimes with handheld camera. It's extremely cool as the scenes seem far more intense. As a whole this movie seems more like a horror movie than an action movie. There are several moments where you are holding your breath while sitting on the edge of your seat. Especially in a sequence when the family is caught behind the "enemy" lines, while the Aliens probe all hiding spaces for human beings. That was truly frightening.

2 - The acting

WOW. This really blew me away. The interaction between Tom, Dakota and the boy playing his son is incredibly convincing. You really care about these persons after a few minutes into the movie. Normally I am pretty cold when it comes to the acting in American blockusters as it is always second hand to the action, but in this movie I felt a lump in my throat several times because I really cared for the characters.

3 - Special effects

It may sound as though there is no big action sequences in the movie, but that is not true. There is plenty of action but it (almost) always takes place "behind" the actors the camera focuses on. This way it feels a lot more realistic. And talking about realism! This movie - in my mind - shows us the best use of visual effects EVER!!! There is not 1 instance where you can tell it's CGI. It looks incredible. When the war machines first appear it looks so real and convincing. I don't know if they actually used models or what but they look incredible. It is also nice to see that houses blowing up etc. are the real deal and not miniatures.

4 - Overall

This is a fantastic movie. It feels sooo "spielbergian" and I truly believe this will end up being my favourite Spielberg movie so far. I just need to see a few more times to see if it really holds up. There is so much tension in this movie and it utilizes some of the best elements of Jaws, Close Encounters and Saving Ryan! Man I suck a writing about a movie, know I will stop. I could just have written 1 word: FANTASTIC!

Call me

Doc

lotr456
not my review

DarkYoda
So what is the general excitement level for this movie? Anyone seeing it at midnight tonight?

starshine
I just saw it four hours ago eek! I really liked it. happy

bluegrass
I just saw it. Average at best. Personally, I am pretty disappointed.

charmedFairy
Just saw it, I liked it alot , worth seeing it. Tom's acting is really convincing IMO and the graphics and effects are beyond awesome.

cal31
Just saw it and it was good, but not the epic I thought it was going to be. As most of the reviews have said, the character development is just missing from the film, and as you're watching the movie, it just feels as if something is missing. The movie just went threw the motions and didn't really have any emotional impact. The special effects were great, and Cruise did a great job, but not to much otherwise. I was suprised by how graphic the movie was, how many people getting killed on screen that they showed and what the aliens did to the humans suprised me.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>