100 Greatest Standups of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ElectricBugaloo
1. Richard Pryor
2. George Carlin
3. Lenny Bruce
4. Woody Allen
5. Chris Rock
6. Steve Martin
7. Rodney Dangerfield
8. Bill Cosby
9. Roseanne Barr
10. Eddie Murphy
11. Johnny Carson
12. Jerry Seinfeld
13. Robin Williams
14. Bob Newhart
15. David Letterman
16. Ellen DeGeneres
17. Don Rickles
18. Jonathan Winters
19. Bill Hicks
20. Sam Kinison
21. Dennis Miller
22. Robert Klein
23. Steven Wright
24. Redd Foxx
25. Bob Hope
26. Ray Romano
27. Jay Leno
28. Jack Benny
29. Milton Berle
30. Garry Shandling
31. George Burns
32. Albert Brooks
33. Andy Kaufman
34. Buddy Hackett
35. Phyllis Diller
36. Jim Carrey
37. Martin Lawrence
38. Bill Maher
39. Billy Crystal
40. Mort Sahl
41. Jon Stewart
42. Flip Wilson
43. Dave Chappelle
44. Joan Rivers
45. Richard Lewis
46. Adam Sandler
47. Henny Youngman
48. Tim Allen
49. Freddie Prinze
50. Denis Leary
51. Lewis Black
52. Damon Wayans
53. David Brenner
54. DL Hughley
55. Alan King
56. Colin Quinn
57. Richard Jeni
58. Larry Miller
59. Gilbert Gottfried
60. Jeff Foxworthy
61. Bobcat Goldthwait
62. Eddie Griffin
63. Jackie Mason
64. Richard Belzer
65. Cedrick the Enter.
66. Shelley Berman
67. Kevin Pollak
68. Dave Attell
69. Pat Cooper
70. Wanda Sykes
71. Red Buttons
72. Bernie Mac
73. Billy Connolly
74. Paul Rodriguez
75. Eddie Izzard
76. Robert Schimmel
77. Paul Reiser
78. Sinbad
79. Dom Irrera
80. Bobby Slayton
81. Dick Gregory
82. Howie Mandel
83. Norm MacDonald
84. Drew Carey
85. David Cross
86. Jay Mohr
87. Brett Butler
88. Paula Poundstone
89. Kevin James
90. Dana Carvey
91. Jim Breuer
92. Louie Anderson
93. George Wallace
94. David Alan Grier
95. Andrew 'Dice' Clay
96. Joey Bishop
97. Sandra Bernhard
98. Louis CK
99. Janeane Garofalo
100. Gallagher

What do you think of this list?

roundisfunny
Andrew 'Dice' Clay is #95? What a crock (or, as Dice would say, "what a F***IN' crock)! That's almost as insulting as making Gallagher #100! Come on! He's George Carlin with fresh produce!

I'm also wondering why they included Jim Carrey on the list. While he was a stand-up comic years ago, his acting in movies and TV shows is what made him famous.

As for Johnny Carson...he hosted the Tonight Show for THIRTY YEARS! That makes him a talk-show host, not a stand-up comic. What was he doing before that...Vaudeville?

Also...where's Carrot Top? For that matter, where's Rudy Ray Moore? He's rawer than raw, the high priest of jive...he's absolutely LIVE! And why was Donald Pleasance snubbed? Isn't it time we took him off of the stupid blacklist?

And finally...I have to take exception to their putting Pryor at the TOP of the list. I have a sneaking suspicion that they only did that because of his condition.

Lord Soth
Janeane Garafalo??? confused

steely balls
i would say pretty accurate....with a few flaws...richard pryor is worth first place...then again its pretty hardto make a list like that

ElectricBugaloo
andrew dice clay should not ever be mentioned in the same sentence with Carlin unless the sentence is "Andrew Dice Clay should never be mentioned in the same sentence as George Carlin."

The reason Pryor is #1 is that he ushered in a new era of comedy; maybe he wasn't the first, but he was the first to popularize the type of comedy that he did.

M® $¥®€Ñ
THAT list is crap...utter crap. Andrew Dice Clay most certainly should be on the list, and a lot higher on it, but Bugaloo is right, he's not Carlin.

How on God's green earth did Roseanne Barr make it higher on the list than Robin Williams?

and Paula Poundstone should never be put higher than Dana Carvey. This list blows monkey balls

roundisfunny
They had to put at least one woman in the top ten, but I would have put Ellen before Roseanne. I also would have included Elayne Boosler, but hey...what do I know?

After reviewing the list again, I have to also take exception to Woody Allen's inclusion on the list, much less that high. As with Carson, whatever stand-up career Woody had is heavily overshadowed by his best-known work--his nearly four decades of filmmaking).

Oh, and Bugaloo...I wasn't saying that Dice was Carlin with fresh produce! I was saying that Gallagher was Carlin with fresh produce! You know, the watermelons...?

I feel comfortable comparing Gallagher's comedy with Carlin's, because both had/have a lot of material about "how things should be run in this country." As for Dice, no. I do not think he should have been anywhere near Carlin in the rankings (as Dennis Miller said, "C'mon folks, he's 'Fonzie' with Tourette's Syndrome!"wink, but I do think he should have been higher-ranked than he was. If Pryor was a pioneer, so was Dice. They and Lenny Bruce were the ones breaking taboos and setting milestones for what comics could and couldn't say.

BackFire
I think Diceman shoulda been way higher, that guy is pure gold.

roundisfunny
Actually, he's pure silver...his real name is "Andrew Clay Silverstein". erm

ElectricBugaloo
Woody Allen's stand up was just overshadowed by his movies; most people forget that he was basically a comedic god in New York for years before he started making movies.

Andrew Dice Clay...he's not that funny. Other people did the angry guy who says a lot of bad words routine better.

Roseanne is that high because she was the first standup comedian to turn her comedic routine into a hit TV show (all apologies to Gabe Kaplan of "Welcome Back Kotter" fame) again, what Roseanne did after her standup career is overshadowed by what she did after comedy.

The two i would have put a little higher are Eddie Murphy and Bill Cosby. MAybe move down Woody Allen a little (despite my earlier argument) and put Cosby in that spot; besides Carlin, no one else on the list has more material (I know Dangerfield was at it for as long, but he doesn't have the same scope of material as Cosby or Carlin).

Robin Williams, while funny, doesn't quite have the effect on comedy that the others in the top 10 do.

OK, enough of this lengthy post.

Kaleanae
41. Jon Stewart sad

forumcrew
bad list.. ive seen many comedians.. not nere 100 obviously but ive seen atleast 6 of those people at live shows.. chappelle does not belong bellow all those people.. he was funnier the Seinfeld as far as stand up goes

ElectricBugaloo
you all realize that the effect you have on stand up comedy goes into this as well as how funny you are, right?

forumcrew
yea i can see that.. but chris rock #5 he hasnt effected it greatly at all.. i mean bottom line its extremely subjective

dean7879
peter kay - stars in phoenix nights
roy chubby brown - extremly vulgure and offensive..download off kazaa..u will understand
lee evans - he starred in theres something about mary as the english chap

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.