Paper DVDs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
Sony develops paper DVD
Mon Apr 19,11:49 AM ET

TOKYO (AFP) - Electronics giant Sony and another Japanese company have developed a "paper disc" that can record more than two hours of high-definition images and be destroyed with scissors for foolproof data security, officials said.
The 25-gigabite Blu-ray optical disc is 51 percent paper and was developed jointly with Toppan Printing Co. Ltd. of Japan.

"Since a paper disc can be cut by scissors easily, it is simple to preserve data security when disposing of the disc," Toppan managing director Hideaki Kawai said in a joint statement with Sony.

Click here for more...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040419/capt.sge.iku63.190404154836.photo00.default-384x296.jpg

What is the world coming to... well, what do you think? Will a paper dvd be better? Or will too many kids accidentally rip them up by accident, if made commercial? It'd be harder to scratch though, for one thing. Interesting, very interesting...

Kaleanae
Interesting, I just hope is recycled paper no expression

lethargic rambler
Thats just bonkers.

M® $¥®€Ñ
that's a load of crap like the mini-disc. Think of something better for your science experiment Jkozzy....i beg you.

laughinglaughing out loudlaughing

Kaleanae
messed

WindDancer
I was reading this part of the article "The combination of paper material and printing technology is also expected to lead to a reduction in cost per disc and will expand usage, the two partners said. It has yet to be decided when the disc will be commercially available". Sounds like Paper DVD will be cheaper. I don't think the industry would like that. It could reduce piracy. The industry might be taking a good step in the fight agains't bootleging.

JKozzy
Not my science experiment, just saw it on the front page of Yahoo and thought it would be KMC worthy stick out tongue

Raz Jr
um... minor flaw: it would set fire in the disk tray?

JKozzy
Apparently it works for them, maybe the laser spins.. idk... but they say it works. erm

M® $¥®€Ñ
i was messing kozzy, but yeah, i still think this idea will fail miserably. I have a problem with keeping my disks scratch free and readable. Who know's what havok i'll create when i can simply rip them in half.

Kaleanae
With those, you will really burn CDs (DVDs) messed

§pearhead
Ok...whats the flaw? stick out tongue

JKozzy
I know, stick out tongue It'll be a definite flop, though. Just the idea of paper DVDs is absurd.

Aerosin
hi joe

Aerosin

burlyman
My 2 favourite things! Paper, and DVDs eek!

forumcrew
its not that abusrud, itll be very cheap and if you read the primary idea is for security not for general use

ElectricBugaloo
...and it's not just paper, it's just 51% paper. i'm guessing the rest is plastic.

JKozzy
If you read the article, the other 49% is metallic coating for the paper so it can actually *hold* the information..

§pearhead
Quick question...What the f**k? who in hell would WANT a paper dvd? seriously.

forumcrew
again primary idea is for security

burlyman
you can snap and cut up normal DVDs messed

SpikeSpiegel
One things for sure...if I had one of them I wouldn't lend it out. Things I get back are in bad enough condition as it is. I wouldn't want to get it back with a "Sorry, I tripped and ripped it"

I guess it would be similar to the middle bit of a floppy disk.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.