Garfield - The Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mitsubishi
Yo, if anyone out there gives, a live-action Garfield film is in production. Breckin Meyer has been casted as Jon Arbuckle. Bill Murray is doing the voice of Garfield and Jennifer Love Hewitt is playing Arbuckle's love interest. I personally think Will Ferrel should have play Jon, but oh well.

BackFire349
ahhh, they shoulda kept it a cartoon. we dont need another scooby doo botch.

chico23
You might be right Backfire, but I am interested to see how Bill Murray will do as the voice of Garfield.

BackFire349
bill murray is perfect for the voice.

SmokingIrishman
Will Ferral might make a good lovable loser (as he always does), but he's no Jon. I can't think of what Brekin looks like, but I'll make sure to note it when I do.

I think a Garfield movie is a great idea. Scooby Doo wasn't bad, either.

chico23
I thought Scooby Doo was, as backfire said, a botched movie.

Morph
Breckin Meyer was the main character(Josh) in Road Trip.

TedO
This has optential, but it has to be one right. Scooby-Doo was alright, but nothing like it should have been.

I would have liked a cartoon, but live action seems to be what people want nowadays.

yerssot
didn't really enjoyed the cartoons they made, so I hope they don't blow it with the movie

gregmss
sorry last time didn't work just post yor ideas and spoilers here by the by jen love hewwit debra messing bill muray brecklin myer have signed on

Kes
Hey a Smurff movie! That would be fun stick out tongue
Isn't Sarah Michelle Gellar signed on also? I think I read that somewhere blink

Kes
Well according to this she isn't messed Must have mixed up with JLH.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0356634

gregmss
no sarah michele gellar is for scooby doo

ChinaNiki
smurfs yeah

lukeyduckey
I want a hong knog fooey, that was the best cartoon. and if voiced Jakie chan and if acted.......Jakie

Crash_Overload
None of the above. I am a die hard GArfield Fan. THAT is what should be next (that sentance sounds a bit funny don't you think? or maybe cause its 1 in the morning...) There never was any Garfeild Movie. There should be.

gregmss
there will be that is the whole threads point

fini
i THINK that THEY SHOULD stop desecrating our favourite cartoons and making them into CGI movies............leave them be. They already destroyed the Flinstones.............but if they DARE TO touch the smurfs, snoopy or even Garfield (the king himself), HEADS are gonna roll..........that movie studio deserves to be burnt to the ground !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gregmss
garfield the movie coming next year am i getting to u yet

fini
nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo god nooo

Crash_Overload
But why make it CGI? isn't Garfeild Fat enough as he is in 2D?

gregmss
they are trying to make him look like a cat

ragesRemorse
WHY! Garfeild already looks like a cat, I mean its a cartoon he's not supposed to look real. If he did it wouldnt be as funny,apart of the appeal is that it is a cartoon. If you changed garfield to CGI he wouldnt be our garfield he wouldnt be the garfeild we know and love. you might aswell just make it live action

Kes
Thats what they are making. I live action movie and Garfield will be CGI. Like Scooby-Doo.

Ushgarak
Hmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!

KidRock
they should make a ne Jetsons movie. that would be great

ragesRemorse
that sounds even worse, garfield isnt supposed to be realistic

fini
AGAIN..........noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo burn them to the ground i say

Korri
heehee lol

gregmss
garfield rocks

njherbz741
ok i've been a Garfield fanatic since i was little and when i saw the poster i just flipped out...

info
http://lightsoutentertainment.com/news/news.php?id=1931

yerssot
they shouldn't sad

mikeysgothicgur
Why not? Garfield is awesome!!!!

Kes
They should just keep it a cartoon. Not like this *cringes when thinking of Scooby Doo*

chico23
Yeah I agree Kes. Me and BF had this conversation awhile ago and you can't help but think of Scooby Do and barf! With that said if bill murry is doing the voice that might help it a bit, but i guess we'll have to see.

buffymitch
I hope this movie turns out great. I alway laugh when i read a garfield comic. It doesn't look like garfield but that maybe beacause we can only see a little of his head. I will be glad if its like scooby because i enjoyed that movie

TdOg
I hope he doesn't walk on his hind legs in the movie.. It will just look stupid just like it does in the comic. The comic stopped being really funny around the same time his eyes got bigger and he started walking like we do.. The humor kinda died off around then..

DemonicGambit
Din't he have a cartoon movie? I think I watched it when I was younger, but I don't know. I ain't a big fan of movies with characters completely CG

sk8stuff09
I saw a poster at the movie for the Garfiled live action movie coming out. I was shocked by this. Garfield and Odie are going to be computer generated. Breckin Myer (that guy in road trip) will be John Arbuckle. I think Jennifer Love Hewitt is gonna be his girlfriend. Hopefully it won't turn out like the other cartoon to live action movies (such as...the flinstones, ummm...you know what i mean) what do you think? Happy Dance

Kes
Yeh its a pretty scary thought.
It would be much better to have a cartoon movie then this (IMO).
But what's done is done, just hope it isnt as crappy as Scooby Doo.

Lord Soth
Garfield-May 14, 2004

This live-action film version of the Jim Davis comic strip will feature a CGI main character and Breckin Meyer as Jon Arbuckle, Garfield's owner. Jennifer Love Hewitt will play Arbuckle's love interest, and the plot will emphasize the interactions between Garfield and Odie.

Also starring: Bill Murray(voice-Garfield), Debra Messing(voice-Arlene), Nick Cannon(voice-mouse)

Property of Movies.com

Lord Soth
This movie will probably spark a new sensation....the comic strip movies. Keep an eye out for Calvin and Hobbes big grin

Wolfie
I don't know about that. I love Garfield, my favorite comic strip ever, but making a movie like that may be just as lame as Scooby Doo.

Does anyone think they should've made this movie like Looney Toons rather than like Scooby Doo?

Lord Soth
The Looney Tunes way would have been cool, yeah. The CGI character doesn't look much like Garfield

fini
as i said time and time before..............NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO why do these jackasses in hollywood keep making our Beloved Classic cartoons into live action........are they braindead or just smoking to much crack?

Julie
should be interesting......and interesting don't always mean good

Lord Soth
unfortunately

Julie
I think it looks interesting......and I maintain wary view of it

Lord Soth
I'm interestes, yet skeptical, as well. This being my favorite comic strip (next ot Calvin & Hobbes and Dilbert), so obviously i'm going to have high standards. I just hope they don't ruin the whole comic *fingers crossed*

gregmss
jeniferlove hewit is playing liz the vet

SilverFighter
If Odie gets a lot of scenes I might like the movie (I'm an Odie fan)

Julie
I see.....odie's ok
Garfield's so cynical.....that's what makes him funny.....lazyness and cynicism

Lord Soth
His unending boredom is also funny laughing

Mr Parker
Yeah I saw the trailer for it not too long ago and it actually looked pretty good.But I think they should make a cartoon movie out of it first.

SilverFighter
I like Odie he is such dumb-loveable dog. Is so funny when Garfield kicks him off the table all the time laughing out loud

I wonder if these characters will be in the movie? Penelope (Garfield's girlfriend) Nermal (That cuttest kitten in the whole world according to himself) Binky the clown (the loudest clown in the world) and of course Pooky.

burlyman
LIVE ACTION??! oh dear oh dear no

Lord Soth
Garfield's girlfriend is Arlene, not Penelope, and will be voiced by Debra Messing. Nermal is indeed in the movie, and is voiced by David Eigenberg. Nothing on Pooky, but it's likely he appears

chez
Hope this movie is good. I never bothered seeing Scooby Doo, because it looked as dodgy as people said it was. I love Garfield, too, and think Bill Murray could pull off the role ... But it all depends on the script. Hmm. confused

Tired Hiker
Yeah, Bill Murray Bill Murrray!

zinh
From the quicktime trailer odie is not cg making garfied look kinda well fake stick out tongue Not that hes supposed to be real but garfield looks just like scooby did in scooby doo = bad.

Lord Soth
Let's hope it does a little better......stick out tongue

Katiedid25
I think this movie could actually be pretty good.

Lord Soth
There's always a chance. Except for PokeMon movies. No chance for them

chez
Amen. Even less for even dodgier spin-offs, such as Digimon. **shudder**

Wolfie
As for the voice, I think the guy who played Garfield in the cartoon show was better.

Lord Soth
But Bill Murray's probably the best you can get, he has the perfect voice big grin

nightcrawer89
this is gonna be cool bill muary as the voice of the garfeild i don't know
this film is gonna blo every one a way with the comedy Happy Dance Happy Dance

badkittykitty
I hope your right but I have serious doubts

nightcrawer89
i know it is gonna be cool

botankus
By "blo"wing everyone away do you mean the effect of 500 people trying to stampede out of the theater 10 minutes into the film??

Stewie is God
i think its gonna make a decent amount but really suck, like Scooby Doo sad

jetzhere101
i really luv garfield comix and cartoons so i am lookin fwd to this.....

ash007
i am not really to sure about this one i got feeling it wont do as well as it is expected sad

nightcrawer89
yes it will i hope it is just like the comics

Lil Seraph
Well first off, Jennifer Love Hewitt is in it so it shoul be aight, Yeah Scooby Doo sucked but i only watched it so many times cuz Sarah Michelle Gellar looked so fine in that pink dress!

botankus
?????????????!!!!?!?!?!!

Oh, wait, given that last sentence, you determine the quality of a movie based on how the actress looks. You need to quit your day job and give the New York Post a call ASAP!!

nightcrawer89
ok

ragesRemorse
i had major doubts about the garfield movie. Mainly because the fat cat was going to be CGI, and we all seen how fake scooby turned out to look. After seeing some screen shots, and learning that bill murray is gonna be the voice i have some newly found faith for this movie. There is no voice talent more perfect for garfield other than murray. One thing im skeptical about is what part does jennifer love hewit have? Is she going to be Garfields owner? If so i will never see it. Garfield is not garfield without Jon and odie.

plenTpak52
If I'm not mistaken, he said that he hated the movie, but only liked Sarah Michelle Gellar. That's perfectly fine (hehe, so is she).

I don't think there is anyone better for the role than Bill Murray. He seems like a perfect Garfield to me. As for the movie...Hold on, Ill go watch the trailer

Yea it looks okay. I'll go see it

jetzhere101
i need odie <<<<<<<<<big grin

BIIIIIIIIIIIG
THIS WILL BE GOOD GARFEILD IS ONE FAT CAT AND REALLY FUNNY TO YOU DIG?
'ODIE GET YOURE PAWS OFF OF MY LAZZANNIA' cool

nightcrawer89
lol Happy Dance laughing laughing

nightcrawer89
here is the movie poster

Crash Overload
Over the past 6 months and WAY more, the Garfeild Comics started to go bad. Like, Horribly bad. I was a fan of Garfeild Scince I am 3, so I know what I am talking about, He is running out of ideas. (Jim davis and the 2 guys that help him come up with the ideas and actually draw the comics) So He is Probly making a movie to boost up his sallary. 2600 papers he is in, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple hundred started to kick him out.

el_barto
This looks like a funny movie. Any one got any info?

MC Mike
Only what's on the site. erm It should be okay... hopefully better than Scooby Doo. big grin

JKozzy
My favorite comic... (besides Calvin and Hobbes) they'd better not screw it up mad

el_barto
yeah! if they do.......*starts chanting KILLING SPREE, KILLING SPREE!*

mad mad mad

JKozzy
*KILL-ING SPREE* furious

Drifter101
as i have seen numerous garfield trailers and teasers i begin to see bad choices and flaws in the movie itself

in one scene i see Garfield to be quite energetic and gitty, as the real garfield is the laziest cat in the world.

also wasnt too fond of the casting of Jennifer Love Hewitt

amity75
A big plus is the voice of Bill Murray. I can't imagine anyone else voicing Garfield.

Drifter101
that may be the only upside to the movie

roundisfunny
Why not Lorenzo music?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0615718/

Oh yeah, that's why.

I don't mind so much that J.L. Hewitt is in it (at least the viewers can just ogle her and forget what movie they're watching), but I think the big mistake they made was waiting this long to make a Garfield movie. They should have made it when he was much more popular (i.e., about 20 years ago). It's the same mistake they're making with "The Simpsons" now. That window has long passed, and the longer they wait, the worse it will be.

Cinemaddiction
After everyone and their grandmother calling "Lost in Translation" an "instant classic", I hope this is the movie that puts Bill Murray out of his misery. He has a tendency to do ONE decent film every TEN years.

I know who could have voiced him, and probably alot better, Mr. Patrick Warburton.

Guess Bill didn't learn anything from "Osmosis Jones"?

<<Solo>>
Well here's a few reasons....
1.Garfield is CGI (But what else would he be)
2.The Dog isn't CGI and Garfield is...
3.Jon's Never good with the ladies so he couldn't get a Girlfriend so he couldn't get a date for about 90min.
4.The Movie is going to suck

Kaleanae
Oddie is not there sad (Only that dog that doesn't look like Oddie)

Drifter101
oddie is in it they get him in the movie but like solo said he aint CGI but garfield is,

ElectricBugaloo
null: because it's garfield...and garfield is all about a couple of jokes stretched over a decade or so

roundisfunny
Maybe they should just tour the country with a booth that says "Garfield is lazy, ha ha, that'll be eight dollars."

Cinemaddiction
Hey, if "Garfield" does well, although his star faded out long ago, I request..no no..I DEMAND "Funky Winkerbean" and "Marmaduke" live action movies.

roundisfunny
"Coming soon...Snuffy Smith: the movie!"

NOOOO...'tis a sign of the apocalypse!

Drifter101
sure u can await it but dont expect much out of it

botankus
LOL....that goes for any "Hong Kong Phooey" and "Grape Ape" ones, too.

Drifter101
maybe its just a bad idea for cartoons to now have live action movies. its because we grew up w/ them being toons now their in a live action movie........... i think its a bad move my the movie industry for live action movies for toons

Drifter101
they just werent made to be in real life movies

silver_tears
because it looks nothing like him yes

Drifter101
right that is the main point

<<Solo>>
I'd rather see Garfield being Lazy than seeing him act energetic.

Drifter101
i know but thats how he was in the trailer lets hope that part in the movie he has to be energetic and 4 the rest of the time hes a lazy @$$

Lord Soth
I don't like the fact that it won't that it won't live up to the mastery of the comic strip. Other than that I see nothing really wrong with it. All of the technical things: Comic Odie doesn't look like a real dog at all. It may work in the comic, but not in a movie where it's supposed to be beliveable. A CGI Garfield was used to they could better use his characteristics.

Drifter101
i really cant respond to ur entire message cause uh......... it was kinda cut off

Drifter101
k i can read it now, yea i guess but Garfields prime has been long gone, and the new live actions for toon thing, i really hope they pass

Drifter101
i just saw a preview to the film, and it really looks, well bad. I really do hate the fact of Garfield being CGI and Otty not being CGI, it really takes something away from the film. what do you think

Colabee
If he's portrayed incorrectley but from what I've seen of the trailer it looks really good. Loved the bit where he was dancing around the floor.

Here's a litle fact: Bill Murray as you know does the voice for the new Garfield movie but the guy who useto do the voice for the Garfield cartoon also voiced Bill Murray's character Peter Venkman in The Real Ghostbusters.

Red Superfly
I was JUST about to post that Colabee.

It's pretty cool because Lorenzo Music does the cartoon versions, while Bill Murray does the movies.

When I heard that Murray was gonna do Garfield, I was thinking "if Music can't do it - then the next person I'd want to do it would be Bill Murray".

It's a great idea, but it now looks to be a load of crap.

quiball
i think it looks bad because it's hard to portray a cat with an attitude and JLH is in it???!! who does she play???

Aku
IT WAS BAD ENOUGH WHEN THEY HAD F**KING SCOOBY DOO AS A CGI DOG. Cartoons just should not be made into films. Comic-to-film is ok and computer game to film is good but not cartoon. Or atleast not live action.

I mean they're doing thunderbirds for F**k sake. (ok thats not a cartoon but it was on after sharky and george in the afternoons)

THUNDER CATS HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Red Superfly
Actually, although I HATE to admit it, I thought Scooby Doo was brilliant. It was a total p*ss take of the cartoon. Thought some of the jokes were funny and Scooby was funny. I also loved the fact that even though the kiddies love it, it was a bit like Shrek, where the grown-ups could appreciate it too. Some of the more subtle gags were brilliant, especially the smoke coming out of the Mystery Machine only to find out they are cooking food inside! Most of the jokes were pretty juvenile, but I enjoyed the movie, especially because Scrappy Doo is evil.

I love Scrappy Doos line when he's getting arrested:"I would have gotten away with it too, if it werent for you sons of..........." *door slams*

Wheras Scooby Doo was brilliant fun, I can't see how Thunderbirds is going to be anything other than awful.

Thunderbirds looks like a mental raping of my fond childhood Thunderbird memories. The machines look decent, but KIDS? It looks like Spy Kids all over again. I HATE movies like that - even when I was a kid, I wanted to see the adults/true heroes save the day. It's like in the Ninja Turtles movie where that punk kid saves the Turtles - NO!

RSSR
Other reasons not already named? For one, Garfield as a comic strip just wasn't that funny. It just doesn't hold a candle to Calvin & Hobbes or The Farside, in my opinion.

Creechuur
Garfield is laaaaaaaame.

...and Jons a sissy. He shouldve kicked that fata$$ loser cat to the curb a long time ago.

Aku
Agreed. Calvin And Hobbes was much better than garfield. Let's face it, unless your like 10 or below your not gonna watch this film anyway. Well if you are then i suggest you sit at the very back and throw popcorn. SAVVY??? big grin

Drifter101
i only found a few garfield comic strips funny i always prefered snoopy

Aku
Ah man? Garfield was a crap comic. Only good comics.....

Most Marvel comics are good
Most DC comics are good
All Manga Comics are good
Asterix Rocks
Calvin And Hobbes was cool

But the rest were just crap. Dragon Ball Z forever

shellie
I Loved Garfield when I was little , what i see so far doesnt look that great . Maybe we'll be pleasently surprised .

shellie
seriously dont think thats gonna happen though .

mah
Rofl great poll. It does indeed look worse than what you produce out of your own arse.

On a related note: http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=garfield_sucks
Funny.

Red Superfly
Thanks for that - I agree with anyone who's a fan of Family Guy

Ikobe
the movie looks shit, on account of

a) it breaks the laws of Garfield by being in 3D
b) Garfield doesn't look like Garfield
c) it just looks plain shit

Linkalicious
I haven't bothered to read anyone's posts on this thread, but i'll tell you why that movie is going to suck horrendously.

Garfield is CGI
Odie is a real dog

For christ sakes people!!!! Odie made the damn show a sucess!!!

Aku
I bet theyre not going to include that other cartoon that was linked with garfield. You know that one on the farm with the pig, the chick, the egg with legs and that duck with a saftey tyre round its waist?

WindDancer
Oh no! I just saw the trailer of Garfield: The movie and he is horrible! sad

I can't believe how awful he looks. That CGI Garfield is nowhere near the idea of cuteness (which the classic Garfield has tons of cuteness). This is just sad! Garfield doesn't dance around or wiggles around. Garfield is lazy and sarcastic not loud and obnioux.

Thanks again Hollywood for destroying another great character.

Drifter101
i wonder what other wonderful characters they have yet to destroy?

§pearhead
^calvin and hobbes, lets hope that's never done.

anyways, wtf is the plot for the garfield movie??? what can be done with garfield to begin with?? What the f**k? this is a huge freaking waste of time.

Drifter101
i dunno

Red Superfly
I'm half expecting an Alvin and The Chipmunks movie to pop up somewhere, and Hollywood will make them CGI, and they will introduce an annoying PC girl chipmunk.

Drifter101
o god i forgot those little guys, oh god no, thats it, thats their next wonderful thing that hollywood is gonna ruin!

Drifter101
sigh its just a few days until this horror is released

WindDancer
Instead of doing a Garfield movie those producers shoulda picked Heathcliff instead! Now that is one comic cartoon that really sucks! But noooooo they had to pick the cutest cat and turn him into an Ugly CGI beast!!!

Drifter101
yup

Drifter101
hollywood tends to do that

CaPtaInCLaUdiA
ahahhahaha! laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud Cgi beast!

no expression anyway, I never thought they could make a garfield movie because I thought it would be 90 minutes of grafield eating lasagna, while oddie tries to cheer jons miserable life....then I saw the trailer.........garfield is dancing to hey mama.....WHAT THE HELL!?......this isnt the garfield I would watch at 7:30 am! he looks weird and oddie doenst even look like oddie! sad

They got it all wrong........ mad

Drifter101
i got 1 star from my news paper, it called it a waste of your money lol laughing

ANGELIQUE
GARFIELD DOES NOT LOOK RIGHT,HE
IS MUCH BETTER AS A CARTOON!!!!!!!!!!

mr.knife
looks gay

SaTsuJiN
They tried to make Garfield a ghetto jerk with slapstick humor, when he's actually very laid back with sarcastic humor (which actually made him funny). They messed up... I bet if garfield saw this movie he'd make a witty remark about it, then go back to sleep.

ABE LINCOLN
laughing out loud probably he would

anyway...if Garfield is CG, why isn't Odie? I saw one a commercial some random clip of Garfield pushing Odie off a couch, and it looked so horrible and fake. Jeezus. That alone will stop me from going to see it (though there were plenty of other reasons not to)

ElectricBugaloo
1) Garfield was a very bad comic. It was made for people with IQs of your average 13 year old or lower.

2) Calvin and Hobbes will NEVER be a movie, as Watterson will not even sell the rights to make Calvin and Hobbes merchandising

3) Dilbert could be a pretty good movie (I liked the show).

Drifter101
well if they keep dilbert a cartoon, and dont make him a real person then go ahead and make a dilbert movie, but not w/ real people

Crash Overload
Maybe its because Liz actaually liked Jon and that Nermal was drop dead stupid and not quirky and annoying like in the strips... Odie was okay thought...

"Imma Walking The Dog"

Primitive Screwhead #1
You know people, you really ought to give the film a chance before trashing it too much. You never know... it may be a surprise as much as Scooby Doo was when it came out.

Oh wait, that's right. I spent the eight bucks to see it last weekend, and it sucked ass. Never mind.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>