Will Live Action Anime movies ever survive?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Drifter101
with Van Helsing coming up it is a little gleam of hope to anime series out there wanting a shot at hollywood.

But are animes designed to survive the big screen?

With the recent cancelation of the live action DBZ movie what hope is out there for anime series in the big screen?

what do u think?

Raventheonly
Well anime make it all the time in Japan..... not live action though...

crazy_c
Van Helsing isn'y based on an anime. I don't think many animes would make good live action versions.

Junaspher
I don't know about live action. But maybe a actual big screen movie like they do with all the Nickoloden (sp?) cartoons.

SpikeSpiegel
I don't think live action is a good idea with any cartoon to film. Sometimes it works (Spiderman, LXG, Van Helsing...hopefully) But I don't think it'll really work havng a live action anime. By doing that you'ld loose the anime feel of it.

SumWatTwisted
^ I agree totally. It's just to...cheesy sounding. I also agree with J, they should make an anime movie go to big screen

Drifter101
yes anime were meant to be some what stretched and many aspects are supermatural or would look odd on film. such as people flying fire beams and so forth. it should be that they belong on the anime series not the big screen

sum1butno1
Big screen? Maybe.
Live action? Definitely not. There are just too many cool effects that anime filmmakers put into their shows and movies to establish mood and coolness. The whole thing would just cost WAY too much and would end up being nowhere near as good as the animated version.

And I wouldn't say that LXG was a successful cartoon-to-film crossover, though I sincerely hope that the Punisher is (I've been waiting for an R-rated crossover for a long, long time).

LeAtHerRFace
Anime is just great as Anime, not as a movie.

kanis
alien If they have cancelled the dbz movie the what about the neon genesis evangelion movie they seem to be going ahead with it.

tigida_tigida
i want amine to go to the creens it will make amine fans happy

Drifter101
if they want us anime fans happy they should keep our anime shows just how they are now, great w/ no limits and just the way its been 4ever, not live action, please lets hope they do no more live actions for anime shows

Drifter101
just leave em as it is

Drifter101
great fantasy and w/ no limits at all

Reborn Again
I'm pleased with the cancellation of the DBZ live action movie. There were just too many elements to work with anyway. They would have to start right at the beginning and show flashbacks of when Goku was a kid, anyway. They were need to include Vegeta, Freiza, the Andriods, Cell and Majin Buu for a complete movie, and that's just too much to contend with. As for anime adaptions to live action surviving the big screen, it depends on the movie. Van Helsing can stand on its own because it looks more like a monster more than that of anime.

Drifter101
i am also very relieved

Trinity_Matrix
I think the DBZ liveaction would have sucked. I am looking forward to the liveaction Evangelion movie, that I do believe that they could reasonably pull off. And there is currently running in Japan a liveaction Sailormoon TV show, which I have seen.

For the most part, though, anime shouldn't be done in liveaction. I honestly am not even that big a fan of it being shown in movie theaters...

Drifter101
thank u for backing me up further

Jace_Rave
I think they should put anime on the big screen. Not as live action though, as anime. Pokemon has plent of them, even though they're for littler kids. They should try putting something like Ghost in the Shell, or X in theatres. We won't really know untill they try.

Drifter101
yea but big screen means anime now a days only toon films on big screens are kiddy films lots of anime arent kiddy so it would have to be live action = suckyness

Trinity_Matrix
Yeah, but if they put anime on the big screen, it will start to become more mainstream...which'll mean more crappy dubs and more people only thinking that it's Dragonball Z and hentai.

Drifter101
yea crappy dubbin so no anime on big screen at all how bout the film industry leave the classics untouched, they have ruined many things in the past please dont make anime one of their victims

Batchoy
There have been some movies that use anime action in their story (like Vocano High and The Matrix Trilogy) but it would be very difficult for a live action anime movie to really make it on the big screen. It would be more of a regional thing (Japan has done some live action anime movies, but none have reached US shores).
Although the one anime that could possibly break into mainstream US movies could be a Ninja Scroll movie. I'm basing this on the popularity of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and The Matrix movies. Ninja Scroll's timeline closely resembles CT,HD and the effects inThe Matrix movies would go great with the over the top characters of NS.

Drifter101
the last two matrix sucked, too exagerated it was a great fight but..... just didnt look right for the big screen, volcano high, was okay for tv, still kinda corny, anime for live action just doesnt work

Jace_Rave
there was a big 15 minute section in Kill Bill that was anime. I think Kill Bill was received pretty well, so whoever saw it might have gotten interested a little in anime, realizing it isn't just kid stuff and hentai

Drifter101
yea anime should stay anime not live action, alot of great anime is fantasy type anime there are realistic animes, but there are more fantasy, the fantasy and exaggeration of it is just too much for live action

Drifter101
it just doesnt feel the same way as the toons

Reborn Again
They have, and did okay. They showed them in selected theatres to test out the audience. They do that now to see if an anime is good enough to stand to an North American audience. However, and take it from me, we Canadian's are hog wild about anime. We can't get enough!

As for NA toons standing up against anime...not a chance! Take Teen Titans for example. It was created, drawn and mixed in NA, but it has a distinctive Japanese anime look and the theme song is in Japanese. Teen Titans is so huge because of it!!!

Drifter101
just what i am saying is that a majority of anime in live action just suck

Mystic_Gohan
LOL There are other different kinds of anime Not just kid's stuff and hentai : !

Mystic_Gohan
I highly recomend all of u to seen Evangelion!And after that will never underestimate a true anime!

Drifter101
yes i do hope it is a triumph for anime, but as i said earlier, much anime is not designed for live action, some is but the majority is not

mary jane
here in austin they show anime in theaters all the time normaly when they are released on dvd like isaw x in theaters as well as tokyo godfathers

Drifter101
what i mean is live action films such as some anime w/ real people in many cases it just seems too wierd, odd and flimsy. i dont think live action should be made, real anime movies when its anime is okay

Drifter101
live action just doesnt work

Jace_Rave
the made a gundam movie that way (in Japan)...Gundam Saviour. Well, if companies ever do put out an anime for the screens (for release in all of the USA, and it's not a kids) they would realy have to step up everything. It would suck if someone went to see it, and it was there first anime ever, and the dubbing was crap. Some studios should get together and put one out.

Arachnoidfreak
Van Helsing is NOT based on the anime Hellsing. dont you people ever read? Van Helsing is the vampire hunter from Dracula. though they f*cked up the movie badly

Drifter101
yea i remember doctor van helsing from Bram Stolkers Dracula, but i also believe they took aspects of him from the anime too, but i am sure the one from bram stolkers dracula is the base of the character.

SeptemberRain
The anime sceen in KIll Bill 1 was really good!

Drifter101
i know that anime as anime on the big screen would work what i mean is anime turned to live action is what would suck.

SeptemberRain
oh, well then no it wouldnt

BlackHatDefect
I would be heartbroken if anime were to go big screen.Screen=popular and popular=trend...and trend=sucks.All the nasty preppies would suddenly be buying Fruits Basket and claiming they liked it first,then dump it later and act like its Sesame Street.I love my anime,it should stay underground where it belongs!

Freddy_vs_Jason
Hm.......this is an interesting question, I don't really think it would make enough money to survive the big screen.....

Drifter101
i wonder if the end of the DBZ movie project is a real wake up call that animes just arent made for live action mainstream.

Pred@tor
who knows

Freddy_vs_Jason
Well the Pokemon movies survived the big-screen alright, so I guess it really depends what movie it is.

Pred@tor
Pokemon on the bigscreen? That's news.

Drifter101
yea cheap anime versions, but what i think i should have said for a title for the thread is " Will Live Action Anime Movies ever survive?"

Drifter101
infact i believe i'll change the title for this thread.

Drifter101
who is the moderator for this forum?

Pred@tor
go ahead

SpikeSpiegel
There isn't one, you'll have to ask Raz/one of the globals.

crazy_c
I wouldn't mind if anime got more poplular. That way you wouldn't get slagged off loads for watching it. sad

fini
hmm i know it would be great if the world could be introduced to the great material held in SOME anime movies, but i'm afraid that by converting it to Live action, some of the best things about the movie will be lost.

Van Helsing that will be out right now, is VAGUELY related to the anime series, which in my opinion is one of the best protrayals of Dracula i have ever seen

then there is immortal Evangelion. I guess everyone has heard that its gonna be a motion picture about it. But they cant POSSIBLY put allllllllllllllllllll of that material in one or a few movies.
And besides i dont hold much hope for it, Hiliary Duff is the leading gal to get the role of Aska, and the boy from Harry potter will play Shinji

OH GOD THE HORROR of it all

crazy_c
good god, they could at least get some goos actors.

Drifter101
k im gonna ask a global, thanks SpikeSpiegel

Drifter101
well i asked and the title hasnt been changed, well i guess i gotta wait some more

Drifter101
there got the title changed

BlackHatDefect
True,Evangelion seems IMPOSSABLE to make..hmm...how.Actually,Hillary Duff/Danial Radcliff were the magazeens picks for Asuka/Shinji...not the real ones.Perhaps you should read the article again.

Drifter101
i just say dont make live action anime period

Jace_Rave
that would really bother me too
but, if anime became more popular, we could get clubs and other stuff goin.

Pokemon may be really dumb know, but I appreciate it. Why? Because it has introduced so many little kids to anime. Eventually (hopefully) they'll get into bigger, better, more mature anime (like us?) stick out tongue

SeptemberRain
That would be cool if Witch Hunter Robin was on big screen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.