Whats the saddest book that you've ever read?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Freddy_vs_Jason
???????????????????????????????

HockeyHorror
Fyodor Dostoevsky- Crime and Punishment

i wouldn't say its sad but its VERY deep.

what about u?

EOWYN3
The Jungle-Upton Sinclair

crazy_c
I cried a lot during "Goodnight Mr. Tom"

big gay kirk
"The Last Unicorn," by Peter Beagle... from the moment she realises she is lonely as well as alone, to the very end... especially the bit where Molly Grue first sees the Unicorn...

Sarah15
One of the saddest books i read is, A Child Called It.. its a true story...

WindDancer
The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. sad

Freddy_vs_Jason
crazy_c I saw the Goodnight Mr. Tom movie, as well as read the book, we had to do it for english last year. It was quiet sad.......

Darth Revan
if by sad you mean depressing... Then "The Dust Bowl" and some piece of shit I had to read about Apartheid back in sixth grade

shaber
I'm sorry you were subjected to the latter Darth Revan.

Hmmm, I think the nostalgia in Wuthering Heights was its best part though melancholy.

Aetheria
Maybe it's only me, but I cried the most when reading Flowers for Algernon.

Freddy_vs_Jason
I also cried durn the darren shan book where he had to fake his death, his family was crying and stuff, and also he was sad because he had to leave his family and couldn't tell them sad.............*sniff*

~*Angel_Wingz*~
darren shan wasnt really sad..i cried wen i read chinese cinderella a true story bout a chinese gilr whos family hate her cos shes a girl...

sauron
actually the silmarillion is quite a sad book
not the saddest i have read...but its still sad

eleveninches
I read that book. It's so sad sad sad sad

Syren
The Horse Whisperer

Flowers In The Attic

~*Angel_Wingz*~
the horse whisperer is a book? i thought it was just a film....

ElectricBugaloo
Two words: Old Yeller

Freddy_vs_Jason
I like reading sad books....reading books about children who don't fit in or like thier familys or lives has taught me one comforting message: "You are not alone."

speiderman
I guess the book I read last year was more depressing than sad. I am talking about
"Brave New World"

LimeLight
The Phantom of the Opera is the saddest book that I have ever read.

mirror
Well, the saddest book I've ever read was 1984, by George Orwell. The reason I say so is the utter destruction of a man on all levels. I liked it in the sense that it conveyed a message verry strongly, though now its title is a little outdated.

burlyman
A Bear Called Paddington... no contest sad

Line
Yeah, that was quite sad ...

Vampiree
Clockwork Orange... it wasn't JUST sad... it scared me so much.

Line
Never had the guts to read it ... or just to watch the film ...

Vampiree
when you start you just can't leave it. yes

Lurik
The saddest book was.... Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back by Donald F. Glut

Cyclops
See You Later - Christopher Pike.

Always thought it would make a great movie, too.

Freddy_vs_Jason
Hm, I'll have to read some of those yes

Pred@tor
When romeo kills himself for Juliet... sniff...

Lurik
Maybe Star Wars: Return of the Jedi by something Kahn...when Vader dies...
*starts crying uncontrollably*beer
starwars

dmcman
The Outsiders. i was sad because ponyboys mom and dad were dead

YjefferY
hmmm....

Anne Rice's Cry To Heaven...many times I cried reading it...

Lady von Tramp
Still with The Horse Whisperer, and yes it's a book.....

Cyclops - I like Christopher Pike, all his vampire chronicles are excellent. I read a lot of them in High School yes

Montross
Mein Kampf....
No, honestly I am just kidding about that.
I hope Hitler burns in the firey pits of Hell!

Ashy
V.C Andrews- My Sweet Audrina

or

V.C Andrews- Garden Of Shadows

Montross
Good pics!

theReject
Flowers for Algernon made me extremely sad...but when I had to read Where the Red Fern Grows I balled like a little baby...crybaby
I couldn't help it....I have a soft spot for animals.

Padfoot15
Anne Frank and Me. Sorry, but I can't remember who wrote it. It's really moving!! And I can't beleive that the stuff in this book actually happened!!!
I also think tat The last battle by C.S. Lewis is sad, and the last few chapters of Harry and the Order of the Pheonix. *Sirius!!!*

ClaraG
the lovely bones by alice sebold was pretty sad...

Primitive Screwhead #1
Any of those old Choose Your Own Adventure books... I always got to the lousy endings! stick out tongue

Seriously... A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens.

sickley in lurv
The saddest book i have eva read was " The day after tommorow" By Erin Skififngton, a 14 yo
I never usaully cry in books but in this one, i did... Sob....

U should read it is you love to cry sad smile

Melgond
were the red fern grows crybaby

ClaraG
oh, and Noughts and Crosses by Malorie blackman was sad too, especially at the end sad

Spider-Girl
Wow! I definetly need to read some of these books sometime! I like sad books yes

Anywien
Bokkie and Angela's Ashes.

silver_tears
Im just starting this one eek!
And alot of books I read are really sad actually sad
Most are about love and such love

I gotta tell you that Lurlene Mcdaniel writes really sad yes
Like How Do I Love Thee or Till Death Do Us Part, I cried for both sad
But her writing is genius big grin

sickley in lurv
Wadda bout 'Feeling sorry for Celia'
My sister read it and loved it
havent got around to it....

Victor Von Doom
I always find The Great Gatsby amazingly sad.

Arachnoidfreak
Frankenstein had some sad parts. I don't usually read sad depressing books, so that's the saddest I got.

BoomStix
Crime and Punishment, David Copperfield, Olive. Most of those old Victorian classic are quite sad.
Tampest, Ottero

Clovie
harry potter 5

MakubeX
heart songs...because i remember that mattie(the author) died this year...he's only 13...if this doesn't count i would have to say the twelfth angel is pretty sad...

Anywien
I remember this book I read ages ago, about this girl who had to look after dragon babies called Embyr, Pyro, and Synge, after their mother died, and then dragon hunters came after them, and god it was so sad because Synge, (The yellow one, my favourite) got killed by the hunter. It was so sad. I cried for ages after reading that.

Rad_1
I'd say Tom's Midnight Garden, by Phillipa Pearce.

sickley in lurv
The saddest book i have eva read was " The day after tommorow" By Erin Skififngton, a 14 yo
I never usaully cry in books but in this one, i did... Sob....

U should read it is you love to cry

Sorry, It was 'The day after Forever' .....*sniff* cry

snoopy43
I read Pam Anderson's new book and wanted to shoot myself. sick

Abbita
Chinese Cinderella cry

§nakehead
The yearling

sickley in lurv
HAHAHA! Pam Anderson? Now that's funny! All she could write about was the love of her life, her chest....Ewww...

Shadow_King
honestly i have no sad stories.

Purple Enigma
Princess by Jean P. Sasson...now, that's depressing...! sad

Enigma

daronisgod
The Lord of the Rings... how did I guess I'd be the only one?
Though I know I'm not alone.
It left me absolutely devastated...

I don't know whether this question is just about fiction, but books about the Armenian Genocide are really upsetting, naturally.

spidergrl
i think lord of the rings was preti sad. sam and froto (sp?) are so cute

figo obsessed
one of the Erich Maria Remarque's books, but i don't konow how it sounds in english. free translation i think mistranslation wink : "the time of life and the time of death". The book is absolutly fantastic. It's about love, about war and about lose every thin. It's brutal but in the other hand very subtlety. it's my favourite book.

Quendiñoldo

sickley in lurv
Cant be stuffed looking, but i think i said this before..
The day after forever by Erin Skiffington

Nazgulinthedark
in every book ive ever read my favorite character always dies..usually...in some books no onse dies. but the saddest one is probably "inkheart" i forgot who wrote it, but i got really attached to one of the charaters, and then he went and died cry

MrSpangle
anyone read "the curious incident of the dog in the night time" thats a touching story. specially the hand fing they do cos he hates being hugged.

daronisgod
I feel emotionally crippled everytime I read the Grey Havens scenes... the film has exactly the same effect.

ElectricBugaloo
i can go with the old favorite Old yeller

and there is this small picture book called "JT" based off a CBS after school special that never fails to choke me up

Lady Horror
I read Frankestein recently. The ending was quite desolate. The book is nothing like the film. You can see Frankenstein's monster as a real being with real emotions and he's not a mute in the book. Quite the contrary, he's very learned and his speeches made me weep.

KowaiShoujo
The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough - Awesome book, it made me cry at some parts, but over all it has a bit of everything. Totally good for SSR (if you're in Highschool) or just for fun.

urthstripe321
There are a couple of books that almost made me cry. None that really did. Salamandastron by Brian Jacques (see my sn), Bang the Drum Slowly by Mark Harris, and Boy's Life by Robert McCammon

radioboy121
Dream of the Red Chamber (or Story of the Stone) by Cao Xueqin. A number of scenes in that novel was just heart-wrenching. I bought the whole set and I just can't bring myself to read it again. The last 20 or so chapters was supposedly written by an alternate writer, so the end could have been better.

Also Les Miserables had a pretty sad ending.

KillTheLight
i remember feeling pretty sad when i read the Great Gatsby. I think it was a beautifully written and amazing book.

Wendy
A Child Called It was the saddest book I've ever read. sad

Jackie Malfoy
One was "Uncle Tom's Cablin" it is a good book but there are two parts in that book that made me cry.
Another is "Where the Red fern go" if you want to read a very depressing book read this one.I was crying like a baby at the end.I choose never to read it again however.
Since I read happier books then sad ones those two are the only sad books that I had read that actly made me cry.JM sad

*Danii*
The Lovely Bones, can't remember who its by.

ClaraG
Hi biatch!
it's by alice sebold

AfricanLion
Jock of the Bushveld by Sir Percy Fitzpatrick

LAWKI
OMG, I was just thinking of that book when I got on this forum. eek!

LAWKI
I would have to say... "The Notebook" by Nicolas Sparks. I finished it in 1 day...my mother (once I finally convinced her to read it) read it in 1 hour. It is a real tear jerker about lost love vs. new love.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.