Why Do Disaster Movies Pick On New York

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Drifter101
in the past their have been so many disaster movies, some blockbuster hits some total flops but that may not be the point in almost all disaster movie something has to happen in the city of New York.

why?

why do they always pick on the concrete jungle

heres a little bit of movies that have done crap to new york
armagedeon
deep impact
(upcoming)the day after tomorrow
earthquake in newyork
independence day
escape newyork
i would go on but dont wanna why do u think they pick on the Big Apple?

Kaleanae
Once I was wondering about that, well, they say that New York is the world's capital and It has been destroyed in many movies, for example, the ones you mentioned.

WindDancer
Nope, is mostly Los Angeles.

Kaleanae
King Kong
Ghostbusters
Godzilla

Drifter101
r u kidding me r u saying L.A is the one picked on?
only one thats happened is independence day, Die Hard (not even disaster more like terrorist bomb in movie) and.........escape from l.a thats it....

Kaleanae
Nice place, with a lot of problems, big tall buildings, a lot of people live there

Drifter101
yes those movies too no godzilla ever been to L.A.

WindDancer
Don't forget Volcano and Earthquake (with Charles Heston)

Kaleanae
Artificial Inteligence

Kaleanae
This is another one

Drifter101
that is true but they had some cheap earthquake movie in NY 2

Drifter101
sure it had those two but they also made some cheap earthquake movie in NY in the 90's

Kaleanae
They pick California for earthquake movies because of the San Andres fault

Drifter101
opps it repeated

Drifter101
also in one brief moment in the 1st matrix when u see the real world the city they show u all destroyed and in ruins is new york u can tell by the twin towers they had ruined

Kaleanae
I found an earthquake movie-Aftershock: Earthquake in New York 1999

Kaleanae
Yeah, the same in Artificial inteligence

Drifter101
there u go more movies that pick on poor old New York for their disasters

Kaleanae
I live next to New York Cityno expression

Drifter101
yea im 20 miles away from it, im getting kinda sick of the disaster movie stereotypes that New York is the disaster capitol of the world

Cinemaddiction
Although I thought it was fairly obvious, but how about "Planet of the Apes"...?

http://www.drzira.com/apefest/images/planet/statue.jpg

(..and technically, I'd call this a "disaster" movie, just because it was the ruination of the world by human nature)

VallejoKid707
San Francisco is the only major city I'm next to and all the movies I remember that was disatrous is The Core. But I'm positive theres more.

Drifter101
not enough to beat the beatenings NY have taken in numerous films, films barley touch the west coast, only occasionally they do films just bout west coast disaster rest of time their in disasters in films in the same film NY is blown up too

big gay kirk
More to the point, why is it always the Chrysler Building that get's totalled first? Don't you Yanks like it? Or is it something to do with Ford sponsoring movies...??

Tex
Who the hell would pay to see Des Moines destroyed?!? stick out tongue

NYC has lots of glass, people like to see glass break! stick out tongue

Although after 9/11 it might be a while before we see another NYC disaster movie.

Drifter101
well the day after tomorrow is destroying NY by some tsunami

ArrghPirateGirl
I wanna c that but I think that in end of the world movies (how many times has the world ended now??) that like 2 destroy big well know cities coz they are much more fun 2 c get destroyed

Drifter101
yea but there r so many other major cities to blow up and destroy give NY a long needed break from disaster films

mardook
well be it better than being called the Murder Capitol of America. big grin

Lord Soth
Actually, not much of Independance Day takes place in NYC..

Hypernova
Well, it has many of the most instantly recognisable landmarks in the world!! And it is one of the major trading capital in the world. It is teeming with the American culture and values... and one could say it is the epitome of the west!

Lord Soth
Unfortunately

Drifter101
but y not some other cities that have land marks

botankus
What about Disneyworld/land in Orlando or CA? That would be kind of cool to adults.

I think, though it would traumatize kids for life plus I'm pretty sure Disney would fork over some $$$$ to veto the movie altogether.

Hypernova
Like I said it's instantly recognisable and conjures so much just showing a few of the key sites.. Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Chrysler Building. Even just showing those yellow cabs make people think NY, the Big Apple etc, etc.

Movies have created NY as a Happening City, the City of Dreams etc, etc. Many people want to visit it.

But mainly, I think it's product placement/advertisement, sponsored by the City of New Your for Tourism laughing out loud

Drifter101
y not paris or london or chicago, give NY a long diserved rest

Hypernova
Yeah, why not? stick out tongue

Rogue Jedi
cuz new york is like THE city in the USA.

eleveninches
Well, it is home of the UN, so it can be thought of as the capitol of the world.

eleveninches
Plus, NY has so many huge buildings in a small area.
LA might be a cooler city to live in, but New York is more of a global city.

Drifter101
but come one there are plenty of other cities w/ landmarks london paris chicago italy tokyo.........well tokyo is beaten up by godzilla but we dont see that anymore so yea tokyo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.