childhood stories, childhood frights, good night..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Super-Man-Lives
as a kid, what stories scared you? for me, my mom use to read us bed time stories, she read fairy tales, everything from the big bad wolf, to humpty-dumpty. some where dumb and boring, but, somewhere scary. a kid's imangination is so vivid. take for example, the story about red riding hood going to grandma's house. sounds like a kid being stalked or maybe kidnapped. "it's just a fairy tale", yeah, until it happens to you out of the blue. for me, i lived by this bridge, this bridge was on a dirt road, metal not wood. any way i use to have baseball practice, everyday after practice i would run about a quarter-mile..i had to beat the sunset. i guess i feard my imangination, afaird that just maybe one night, a troll would pop up and chase me down. it's a good thing that was a long time ago..also glad i'm not close to any bridge. so what scary stories had you flipped?

badkittykitty
alice in wonderland definatly.

dragonpisces272
alice! yeah raver

Super-Man-Lives
DREAM WORLDS. VERY GOOD ONE. SOMETHING WE CAN'T CON-TROLL. THE EXISTENCE OF THE UNKNOWN IS VERY SCARY.

Line
Only just read Alice a few months ago. Definately one of the most unpleasant books I've ever read. Quite happy I didn't read it as a child.

Super-Man-Lives
it seems that everyone hates the thought of waking up in a unknown place. where you see things that are not suppose to talk or giant smoking worms. what about the DR. SUESS? his imangination.

Line
Not exactly. I'd love to wake up such a place. But in Alice the entire atmosphere is intimidating, almost claustrophobic. It really IS like being in a bad dream, and Alice herself doesn't help very much. She doesn't strike me as very sympathetic and being forced to identify with her is sort of scary.

Never read Dr. Suess, though.

Super-Man-Lives
the story revoles around the fact, that we as a person don't know when to wake up. have you had that feeling when you felt like you were falling? i had a good many of those. the human mind pays no attention to race or creed. as for Dr. Suess, just weird places and faces.

Line
I guess it does, though I must admit I didn't really have my analytical glasses on when I read it. I think it goes deeper than that, though. It's a sort of charicature of society. What happens when our norms and values are viewed through the eyes of a child?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.