Any Linguists?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ein Kun
Speak any foreign languages?

Just asking.

Storm
Beside my mother tongue (Dutch) I speak French, English, German, Latin, ancient Greek and some Italian phrases.

Ein Kun
Sweet flappers.

Well, aside from english, i used to be able to mumble in french, i still know enough german to get by, speaking GCSE level Japanese, speak tiny bit of Thai and VERY minimal Korean, and very minimal arabic

Storm
eek! Japanese, Thai, Korean, Arabic. Very nice yes

Ein Kun
hehe, I mostly know Japanese, and i know very basic Thai, and basically no korean, just a few words and phrases, same with arabic.

Storm
Where or how did you learn them?

Ein Kun
Well, Japanese I've been learning at school ( And can i just say I'm top of my class wink ) for two yars in september.

ThaiI mostly learnt from my hobby, having to inter face with alot of Thai people and terminology, and kinda the same with Korean,

And arabic i learnt from visiting Egypt so many times

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance
Whee, God, I love these smilies.

Storm
It' s great that people so can get wrapped up in their hobby.

I' ve been learning mine at school bunny

Raz Jr
eek! English!!!

mechmoggy
Me struggle English with.

silver_tears
I speak English mostly, then my mother tongue Ukrainian, French, understand Russian, Polish, and some other European languages big grin

MC Mike
English, Polish, learning French, Spanish, German, Latin... Might learn some Chinese and Japanese. smile

Ein Kun
Heh, cool. Well if yah ever need any help, jut ask.

Devalion
Ummmm? English for sure...then I can speak quite a bit of Spanish....tiny bit of Dutch, German....and then a few words in Danish, Slovakian, Mandarin Chinese and French.

HockeyHorror
Armenian, English, Latin, Russian (a bit), Spanish (learning)

G.P
French English, German Italian, Latin

Kaleanae
Spanish, my native language !!!
English
Some Italian
I'm learning Dutch!

burlyman
Im a bilinguist

Devalion
Hahahahahahahahahaha! Thats a good thang!

Darth Revan
French, the occasional Spanish phrase, and a very minimal amount of Japanese... Such boring languages... French I know from school, Spanish I just picked up from travelling in Mexico and Costa Rica

Evy_O
My mother tongue is Greek smart Other than that, I can speak English (obviously stick out tongue ), German, Italian and can understand Spanish. I can only perfectly interact in English though (ok so what if I make some mistakes from time to time embarrasment )

Ancient Greek!!!! eek!
Are you serious? confused

Darth Revan
If I am not mistaken Greek has changed very little from ancient times to today.. Forgive me if I'm wrong

HockeyHorror
i believe ur correct Darth R.

Ancient Greek language i think just changed with the writing system but not verbally. i may be wrong

Evy_O
You are very very very much wrong smile But I forgive you stick out tongue
It is a LOT different, and I know from experience sad We study them at school and seriously, if I hadn't beem studying them since I was 12, and saw an ancient greek text... I wouldn't understand a word wacko

Darth Revan
Like Hockey said though... Isn't it just the writing?

Evy_O
Letters are the same messed Actually it's difficult to explain without giving examples erm
The roots of the words are basically the same BUT grammar, accenting, spelling, syntax even meaning when translated is very much different.

HockeyHorror
same with Armenian.

im pure Armenian but Armenians after the genocide spread across the middle east and got mixed with Iranians (Persians) and Lebanese. So the language was like mixed with other cultures. Confusing laughing out loud

Evy_O
Off topic: I once saw a movie about Armenian genocide, how sad sad

As for greek, no it didn't mix up, but teenagers (not me! angel ) are not very familiar with erm... original greek, they tend to mix them with english terms roll eyes (sarcastic)

big gay kirk
I'm a cunning linguist....

HockeyHorror
CunninLynguists- really good hip hop group

big gay kirk
Seriously though, I speak everything one needs to know in fiftysix languages... but then all anyone needs is the most important phrases... "yes" "no," "please," "thankyou," and "where is the toilet..."

HockeyHorror
can you say Hello in Armenian?

BackFire
English is more then enough for me.

HockeyHorror
smile laughing out loud

burlyman
laughing out loud

that was my msn name last week no expression

Darth Revan
I can say "you are an idiot" in German raver Don't know how to spell it though

G.P
Well it is still possible to learn it here...some of my friends did. I maybe would have learned it, but the Greek teacher was really, erm...not good (I know what I'm talking about, 'cos it has been my French and Latin teacher... messed)and because it wasn't possible to learn both Latin and Ancient Greek sad

But fewer and fewer students learn Ancient Greek and Latin know...

Ein Kun
Is it funny to insult people inother languages? O.o

I know the japanese word for maturity >>'

Evy_O
That's a big surprise blink Foreign people wanting to learn Ancient Greek and greeks themselves refusing to do so embarrasment Yeah, most of my classmates don't study at all... messed
It's embarassing really erm

Darth Revan
well nowadays it's really just useful if you want to be an archaeologist... erm

G.P
Wrong again... Why do you think Ancient Greek is taught ? There is no archaeology lobby over here. Just like Latin, Ancient Greek is useful to know our current languages better (a word like archaeology, for instance, comes from ancient Greek). It's obviously more useful for language like French,... that use more words from it.
It 's also culturally very interesting...for most of the time the language is the reflect of a country's mind/way of thinking, etc. Plus the Ancient Greek civilization was one of the greatest !

Storm
I' m death serious. I found and still find it more difficult then Latin messed

yerssot
this is the 10 000th "how many languages do you speak"-form thread roll eyes (sarcastic)

Evy_O
yeah, tell me about it, it's my mother tongue and I still think it's a pain in the a$$ messed
you can choose latin too, I haven't but I've heard from friends that they are very easy.

big gay kirk
Du bist ein Dummkopf....

big gay kirk
but never, never say in Tyrol, "Du bist ein Blaue Zwerg..."

yerssot
and try not to speak Pfaff-german either

lil bitchiness
Is Japanses hard to learn?

yerssot
according to a friend I have who studies it: yes
according to a nephew of me who did oriental languages: nope

it all depends on the person

Corlindel
I am dumb stick out tongue

Sexay1
Depends. If you have a tutor and you study everyday you could probably be fluent in...a year. If you're learning from a book it will take alot longer.

I know Spanish, Japanese, Korean, French, and Italian.

Darth Revan
Originally posted by big gay kirk
Du bist ein Dummkopf.... [/QUOTE

really? I learned "Du bist ein depp"... it's funny 'cause it sounds like you're insulting Johnny Depp laughing

Darth Revan
oh this guy my dad works with knows a lot of Scandanavian languages... He said that they're so similar that sometimes he forgets which one he's speaking laughing

yerssot
you make it sound like it's a bad thing laughing out loud

Ein Kun
Pretty explanatory. Some people're just good with languages. I do't find japanese hard, and that's helped by me always talking to japanese people online, so it's like the NOVA program for free ^_^

Sexay1
Well I'm just saying it because of how long it took my friend. I, myself have always known Japanese.

Ein Kun
Really? Hot cakes.

Where'd you learn? Parents?

Spotless Mind
Ok, english is not my native either, so...
Apart from it I also know and speak Russian. A bit of German. Latvian, which is my native. That's all for the moment.

Ein Kun
I know a guy from Latvia. Bruno . Lived through a world war yah know ^^

he speaks german and Russian too.

You Bruno? O.o

speiderman
I can speak a small amount of spanish.

speiderman
just a bit from high school really.

pottermad
i can speak english duh spanish, chinese, italian, learning french (since yesterday haha) japanese, german and portuguese

realworlddreams
holy crap thats a lot

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.