Death Star/The Duel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

schill142
I've recently read a few things about the duel that has given me cause to formulate my own theory about some of the circumstances around it.

We supposedly know that Anakin will receive tremendous injuries inflicted by OB1 by way of a very long duel and molten metal or lava. Did OB1 and Anakin just happen to meet up and battle on a lava rich planet? What sort of circumstance would provide the right mixture of areas that combatants could navigate complete with platforms, catwalks, corridors, and different slopes; all with molten material as a backdrop? Was it some sort of foundry or forge done on a massively large scale. What in the Star Wars universe could this be?

I'm speculating that the lava or molten metal that damages Anakin may be from the preliminary construction of the Death Star.
Perhaps, and this is all speculation, the Death Star was not built as much as it was transformed. We see in EU awesome devices like World Devastators that chew up planets and spit out fighters, perhaps the Empire was using a very preliminary form of this technology to slowly transform parts of a moon or planet for large pieces of the Death Star's frame. The amount of raw material needed to create the Death Star would amount to a "small moon" anyway, why not simply start with an object that big. I'm not saying that a moon or world was completely transformed into the Death Star, just that large portions of it where created by some form of terrestrial modification. I mean, could you really imagine the Entire Death Star being welded together piece by piece? hmmmm.

In episode II we see the prelimary plans for the Death Star and hints of the dark side transforming Anakin. Maybe the final event that "constructed" the Death Star and Vader are one in the same.

What do all of you think...?

cornponious
Very interesting idea and quite imaginative, but I don't think that's how it will happen.

corn

schill142
You have to admit it would be a nice bridge between Epidsode III and A New Hope.

finti
yes, take a look at ep VI

Rogue Jedi
yup...it aint like building a lego castle.

Ushgarak
Yes, most definitely the Death Star is indeed constructed piece by piece. This is Star Wars, where ridiculous projects like that are possible.

§pearhead
There's two more things I'd like to add.

First of which is getting the planet out of its orbit, which is obviously not an easy task. It's more than just slapping on some engines to a moon or something and then bringing it away.

Second of all, there's no indication of there being any organic features of the Death Star itself when Kenobi and crew infiltrate in ANH. As stated before, the second Death Star was being slapped together piece by piece, so I don't find this theory too plausible.

Red Superfly
Look at the Pyramids, they are like one of the worlds greatest wonders. The Egyptians had whips, huge whips, and made poeple build those things.

George Lucas is a historical guy (heck he even Star Wars on varous historical eras and mytholigies) - I think it's built bit by bit.

I just came up with a pretty neat idea - what if Darth Vader enslaves an entire race of people (or Emperor does it and Vader and Tarkin oversee it and enforce it) and they make them build their Death Star. It would be an awesome way to portray Darth Vader - who was once himself a slave, along with his mother - as an empty husk of the man he once was, to show just how bad he has become and how bitter and twisted ("Twisted and evil"wink he is at his own misfortune.

schill142
I'm sorry did we see the the Second Death Star's completion from the very start? No

And I never said an entire terrrestial body would be transformed. This is what I said:

"...transform parts of a moon or planet for large pieces of the Death Star's frame. The amount of raw material needed to create the Death Star would amount to a "small moon" anyway, why not simply start with an object that big. I'm not saying that a moon or world was completely transformed into the Death Star, just that large portions of it where created by some form of terrestrial modification."

Does it not make sense for large pieces of the frame and for that matter most large items in the Death Star to manufactured somewhere else and then assembled on site, kinda like how building and ships are constructed currently.

Ushgarak
Not really, no. Especially with it being built around a moon anyway.

schill142
Are you saying you've never heard of off-site manufacturing? It's how everything from bikes to aircraft carries are made. Now if the Death Star is 120 kilometers in diameter one would theorize that the empire would not try to build it's bulk heads and main skeleton meter by meter. Some of the larger structural pieces of the station would have be kilometers in length.

jedi90
i would never watch another starwars film again if the planet obi and ani duel on is the planet where they start the melt down of the metal for the deathstar. i say this cause i'm tired of everyone and everything being related somehow. for example: anakin was trained by obi-wan, who was trained by qui-gon, who was count dooku's padawan, dooku was yoda's padawan, who turns into the new sith lord, etc. i didn't mind it in the orignial trilogy but now its like six degrees of sepration. like boba who is the clone of jango who was cloned to make stormtroopers. can we get a hero or villian who isn't the brother's, cousin's, best friend, on their mother's side son. maybe its just me but for such a large galaxy everyone seems to be related.

brendy
most unlikely. i mean it would make lucas seem like a sap.

The Ones
Yes it goes

Ani (who was trained by-)
Obi wan (who was trained by-)
Qui gon (who was trained by-)
dooku (who was trained by-)
yoda (who knew-)
sidious (who organised-)
Clone troopers, (which came from -)
Jango (who has a clone son called-)
Boba (who worked for-)
Darth vaider (who was -)
ani (who married-)
padme (who had a child called-)
luke (who had a sister called-)
leia (who has a boy friend called -)
han (who knew-),
lando (who worked for-)
Darth Vader (who was ...)

(go back to the begining)

The Ones
any one agree with me?

Ushgarak
So you think they tugged a moon, around ANOTHER moon, and built it there out of that first moon?

Sorry, why do you think that this ridiculously complex and pointless idea is even vaguely worth coming up with?

Sorry, no, they just built it- hundres of kilometres in length if need be.

Sith Master X
Yes I agree. In ROTJ, you see the Death Star being constructed and it isn't complete. The sides are very rigid and some there are some gaps, then small pieces attached, then it fades to nothing where it is not complete. If the death star was built in sections, then the sides where it wasn't complete would look smoother and more straight to me.

Mr.Deflok
Was the SSD Executor made out of a giant elongated asteroid?

Darth Jello
after the deaths of Count Dooku and General Grievous, Mustafar is the last hold out of the separatists. Anakin is sent there by Palpatine to eradicate what's left of them to eradicate any incriminating evidence and to allow the newly declared empire to nationalize their industries. supposedly, anakin saves mr. gunray for last, relishing in destroying the person he percieves as having ruined his life. it is here that Ovi-wan and padme confront him and the duel begins among the bodies of the separatists.

Darth Jello
after the deaths of Count Dooku and General Grievous, Mustafar is the last hold out of the separatists. Anakin is sent there by Palpatine to eradicate what's left of them to eradicate any incriminating evidence and to allow the newly declared empire to nationalize their industries. supposedly, anakin saves mr. gunray for last, relishing in destroying the person he percieves as having ruined his life. it is here that Ovi-wan and padme confront him and the duel begins among the bodies of the separatists. therefore, Mustafar has nothing to do with the construction of the death star. most likely it's some huge droid foundry.

Batman316
Darth Jello, is there somewhere a 'compelete' spoiler is written? If so could you point me in that direction, if not can you post what you know?

cornponious
Absolutely fascinating concept! You certainly have a unique way of looking at the story. This would in fact be an awesome twist in the plot. If there is any fan idea that I would like to see put into film, then this has to be one of them.

In the words of superstupid itself : "Tres cool!"

schill142
No, of course they did not tug a moon. Rather to create all the material needed to construct the Death Star, the Empire would have ravished enormous amounts of raw materials from one or more terrestial bodies. It makes sense that rather then making tiny little machine shops creating only small pieces, the Empire would establish huge foundries the size of small towns to create the materials needed. How else could they build it?

Red Superfly
Cheers!

But alas, I think things will be a lot different. It certainly has a Star Wars feel to it and I could imagine it being in the final movie, so I posted it.

I thought logically about the idea, and tried to think about the storytelling point-of-view and how Episode 3 would compliment the previous two Episodes. I think doing this would somehow redeem Episode 1, because so far that film has been totally disjointed next to the others, and by having this plot point would somehow "rejuvinate" Episode 1 as a truly important piece of the series.

I'd love to see it happen, and Lucas is into all this mythological and fate mumbo-jumbo. I wonder if he was thinking of something along these lines? It would totally make Anakins origin make more sense and interesting, due to the fate-strong world that is Star Wars.

But, somehow, I can't see it happening.

schill142
For the sake continuity it would make sense that we would see the Death Star being constructed in Episode III.

We see the plans in Episode II
We see the finished product in Episode IV

All that's missing is the construction

Red Superfly
^^^ Yes.....that.....is........true roll eyes (sarcastic)

laughing out loud

Sith Master X
You are 100% correct. We must see the Death Star after we see the plans for it in Episode II. According to what I've heard, the Death Star will appear in Episode 3 toward the very end. smile

schill142
I've looked around and the general concensus is that we will see the Death Star in some stage of Development in Episode III. Perhaps this ridiculouly complex theory is not so pointless.

The Ones
i think we see the death star getting constructed until the end where its completed

Ushgarak
Well, now you are just changing your mind about what you said.

And no, it is still ridiculous, whether we see it in construction (which would raise odd questions in of itself) in III or not.

schill142
Perhaps people misunderstood my original post or I did not make myself clear enough. Just to reiterate my point:

I do not think the Death Star was once a moon or planet.

I do think the process of making the Death Star would have transformed the planet in question into more of foundry or construction site that would have been able to produce massively large portions of the DS.

treadline
I haven't watched AOTC in a while, so I could be wrong, but I seem to recall Lucas saying in the extras on the DVD that the Empire contracts out the Geonosians to build the Death Star.

Red Superfly
Maybe that's the reason why the Death Star gets built so quickly is because the Empire uses the droid nation to help build it all.

I still think using enslaved alien races would be awesome.

And this is Star Wars. The Death Star being built is realistic in Star Wars because Star Wars is rediculous.

Darth Jello
how could the death star be built over 20 years without anyone knowing about it? and how could the second one which was even bigger be built that quickly if the first one took 20 years. again my source is Shadow of the sith. they collect stuff from all over the net, including most of the big star wars sites and filter the crap through a message board and come up with very accurate plot summaries. In fact, I believe Suttle primarily ripped off their Ep II Summary and said it was from Lucas himself. the only difference between that summary and the finished movie were some deleted scenes and Sifo-dias replacing sido-dias. so my sources are not that far off. check them out at www.thetrukstop.com/starwars

schill142
-Darth Jello,

I've heard two explanations for your observation, the first is that they started the second Death Star earlier then we all thought. I don't agree with that theory, but who knows for sure. The second observation relates itself to basic manufacturing, once you make your test run or your prototype, all the other models are that much easier to make. Your first model would take so long, simply because you have to deal with design flaws, errors, bugs, and you must first make the machines that can produce the one of a kind products.

The Ones
maybe they were building the 2nd death star while the first 1 was operational (hence at the beggining of ep 4: Where are the plans to the death star) so we can safley assume he meant the second because the 1st was already operational

Sith Master X
I love that web site. Very detailed, and enjoyable. Probably one of the best Star Wars sites around. That site is where I first discovered the leaked Episode 3 footage.

SMX
cool

Darth Jello
in any case, Mustafar seems to be a very very unstable planet.

Gandalf Of Lore
Well that does bring up something. I theorize that they painstakingly built it piece by piece. They would probably have to use a platform or something to keep gravity in check. Also if the Death Star is started on Episode III and it was completed in Ep IV (about 20 years later) then how did the Empire get another one constructed so quickly?

Sith Master X
Maybe they were secretly working on another one long before the first 1 was destroyed. This probably isn't true at all, just a wild theory.

SMX
cool

Shadowkiller
I got this Annotated Screen play book for all three of the original movies and In ROTJ originally in the open crawl two Death Stars are menchioned in the rough draft, but it was changed to one. Lucas known for recycling his ideas could possibly in Episode III have a reference made that they plan on building many Death Stars,That way when we see ROTJ we wont think how did they build that so fast if the first one took 20 years to build......(hope that made since iam dog tired)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.