The Wicker Man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Asami
Its an old movie made in 1974, starring Christopher Lee.

The other day I had to watch the last hour as part of my Myth Religion and Society class, as the lecture was about sacrifices.

I thought the movie was a bit messed up - perhaps because i didnt watch it from the beginning. The way the people got their sacrifice was quite crafty.

Did anyone "get" this movie? I'm not sure I probably have to see the whole thing

Jamief90
You definatly need to watch it from the start, its excellent. Try to get the special edition with the directors cut on. On of the trully great British Horror films.

samhain
A friend of mine (still) gave the ending away to me a few years ago, so I refused to watch it for years afterwards. I finally got round to watching it when it was on TV a few months ago and thought it was one of the creepiest and most unusual films I have ever seen, definitely watch it from the start, a true horror classic.

HockeyFace
I don't understand how it is considered a horror movie. I felt it was more of a dram/mystery with a little suspense maybe.

samhain
Suspense, if applied in the right amount, can be horror.

Asami
I feel as though watching the ending has already messed the movie up for me mad

samhain
I thought that when my pal gave the ending away, but give it a go, it's still very creepy.

wicker_man
I think i've seen it (lol),this is indeed not your usual horror film and the ending stays with you long after the credits have rolled,Sir Christopher Lee is once again excellent in his portrayal as the films bad guy however it is totally different route from his more well known bad guy rolls such as Saurmon,Count Dokuu,Scaramanga and of course Dracula. A must for fans of all psychological horror.

Cowboyography
The movie also had amazing atmosphere, it made u feel isolated and everything was so strange, I give Wicker Man 2 thumbs up!

HockeyFace
I think it is overrated. I am sorry it just didn't clique with me. Most of the film didn't involve Christopher Lee and it WAS NOT a horror movie it was a drama/mystery. I still liked it although I enjoyed Land of the Minotaur more.

HockeyHorror
Overrated? well in your opinion maybe but i DONT see anyone EVER talking about this movie. really good movie. unusual kinda. smile

HockeyFace
Oh it is good the problem was I came into the move with expectations that were too high.

HockeyHorror
ah!
well that changes everything. lo smile

mook
You should definitely watch it from the start and watch it in the right frame of mind.

i saw this film for the first time a few months back between 1-3am in the morning. although i had heard of it i had no pre-conceptions and enjoyed how it started unusual (musical), became weirder and then ended with a great 'pay off' final scene.

a classic film.

WindDancer
I really have to see this film. Honestly I never seen it, but from the member reviews I really have to watch it.

samhain
The cinema where I work is showing The Wicker Man this saturday night. How f'n cool is that?

andyF1
I watched is this the other night on channel 4 it was the uncut version
I really liked it. It starts off very innocent even comical but slowly the tension builds it really kicks in when howie clobbers the barman and takes his costume, dancing in the parade you wonder if he will be caught out. The sword dance and fianlly when we and howie first see the Wickerman, i still believed he would escape good winning but as the flames got higher a new it wasnt to be, it was quite shocking.

I also loved the music score, and christopher Lee in a dress (was that a young saurmon )

WindDancer
Well, after watching that monstrosity of Troy I felt the need for a good film. I was fortunate to come across a copy of the Wicker man in my local video store and so I pick it up. All I can say is.....Thank You Mr. Shaffer for this great story. This was my first chance to see this wonderful and gorgeous film. I love the Wicker Man it has to be one the best British films of all time.

I will forever cherish this magnificent movie as long as I live. The story is simply amazing and well written. Christopher Lee was superb as the mayor of the island. Spookie in a social and religious way, and also intriguinging. The other best perfomance in this film obviously came from Edward Woodward. He truly deliver a magnificent performance. How good was it? Let's just say that when Sgt. Howie looked at the Wicker man for the first time it was an image that will remain in my mind for a long time. Absolutely haunting and suspenful to watch!

slayer
I haven't seen it yet.

BadKitty
...After all this time waiting to see this movie I finally saw it tonight and was totally dumb founded.

Incredible movie! excellent story it kept me totally intrigued through out the whole thing.

the problem I had was all the singing...I believe some was necessary,like at the end to drown out the voices coming from the burning effigy(Sergeant Howie&crying animals),but other times the songs had me yawning.

I read that there were talks of a remake and for this reason I would love to see it.but unfortunately I seriously doubt they can find any one that could possibly fill Edward Woodward and Christopher Lee's shoes...despite some weak acting performances their acting was top notch!

the wicker man is truly going to haunt me for many many years to come.

Sex Pistol
When i saw the wickerman i though you meant my friend thats on here. lol

Mr Zero

dean7879
the ending gives the me the chills each time i see it

BadKitty
I am thinking of watching it again tonight...the ending is still lurking around in my head,scary stuff

Cinemaddiction
Fantastic. I gotta rent this one now, so I can be in the know.

dean7879
its not a brilliant film in my opinion....its is a quite borin to watch at times...weird is the term id use to describe it...dont go into the film with high expectations cine....

BadKitty
I think it's pretty brilliant actually,I can't say I've seen anything like it before...I do think a remake would be really great to take some of the more boring parts away...which your right there is a good few.

I hope cine enjoys it.

Mr Zero
I look forward to reading how much you hated it.

Cinemaddiction
Totally obscure movie with a fiendishly clever plot, but I couldn't take it seriously.

That's all I can say, honestly.

Scarpa
I havent ever seen the movie I'll check it out

MildPossession
It is one of my all time favourite horror films and will cherish it forever.

DaneBramage
I think younger viewers will have difficulty with the pace of this amazing film. Also placing it in the era in which it was made, this movie was blasphemous with its wanton sex and desecration of cemeteries.

This film unfolds slowly and methodically with an artistry that's lost to today's film culture.

Another film that slowly blows your head off is "The Tenant" by Polanski. Awesome

papabeard
The WIcker Man is a masterpiece,. The build up of tension and the twist ending, leaves the viewer disturbed, as obviously this goes on all the time on this island and will continue. Genius. One of my top ten favourite films.

dean7879
the ending is great

@F1
Christopher Lee in a dress (Priceless)

A Classic

Cinemaddiction
Tension..? I didn't feel any.

This was like an extended version of the Pagan ritual scene from the movie "Dragnet".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.