Braces R the PITS!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lady_yuna
I'm going to get braces and I hear they are the pitts.

§H@Ñ€
i dont think so, i've never had them though. And i wont, i love how straight my teeth are. big grin but i know people who have them and they say they arn't that bad. And they still eay popcorn and carmel and all that junk still too, so dont sweat it.

Darth Revan
ooh... Well, when I had 'em, they hurt like hell for the first week, then after about a week and a half they started feeling better. Once you've gotten through the initial shock, they're really not so bad. Oh, and the brushing sucks. You should get a Sonicare, mine made it a lot easier.

Darth Revan
oh and about the food thing... Don't pay attention to the orthodontist when he says you can't eat sticky or hard crap... Nobody follows that rule.

lady_yuna
Thanks.

Evil1
When I had them they hurt for about a week or two. then everytime they got tightend it hurt for a few days. But other than that they weren't that bad.

jE¬KiLL¬HYDe
T_T *hugs lady_yuna* I am so sorry!!! T_T Braces really do suck... if you don't know what a canker sore is, you'll find out-- you get lots of them when you have braces. >_< But don't worry! You'll get scars! O_O;

Yeah, no one pays attention to the ortho's list of "do not eat"-- all I'll suggest you do is try to avoid eating fruit whole... it's easy as hell to break a bracket trying to take a bite out of an apple. -_- Oh, don't eat caramel that's too soft-- it's hard to brush out from between the brackets and wires when it's that sticky... o_o But everything else is fine-- they said I couldn't eat doritos... what's wrong with doritos? *stupid ortho*

Anyway... *hugs* I'm really, really sorry... T_T how long are you supposed to have them on?

lady_yuna
2 long years.

Darth Revan
Oh, you're well off. I had them for about three and a half years.

lady_yuna
That's a long time. Isn't that more than average? How come you had them?

Lord Soth
I'm never going to need them, I hve storng gene behind my teeth stick out tongue

Tptmanno1
I had them, their not that bad.
But if you play any sort of wind instrument, it suck big time, cuz ya gotta re-ajust your mouth

Linkalicious
they suck...but getting them off is well worth it. I recommend you don't get the permanent retainers when the opportunity arises.

Darth Revan
Link, they don't give you a choice there. You have to wear a retainer every night for the rest of your life nowadays.

Yuna, yes, that is more than is usual, but I know people who've had them longer. I just had crooked teeth...

~Angel~
be sure to buy a peroxide mouthwash. I think there's one called Peroxyl...or something like that. It will help any sores heal up much faster. Unfortunately, I didn't find out till I was almost done with my braces.

Good luck!

P.S. If you want them to be less noticeable, get the clear rubber bands instead of the colored ones.

Raventheonly
I hate them so much i'd rather shoot my self, but thats just me smile

realworlddreams
i had em n i didnt mind em too much...silver or blue metallic bands every time for me...
an my gf has em...i dont even notice half the time tho...

Linkalicious
you totally do get the choice.

i have one cemented into my lower teeth and it sucks horribly. If i had a chance to choose again, i'd get the ones that you can take in and out.

I hadn't worn my retainer in 2 months and put it in last night...it still fits just fine.

You most certainly do not need to wear them for the rest of your life...just from time to time to make sure nothing is moving.

Evy_O
I had them for 1 and a half year, annoying braces mad
But oh well, it worthed it big grin As said already, they hurt the first week (and after each visit, when the dentist changes the metallic thingies) but you'll get used to it sooner or later.

That is SO true!
She kept telling me "no gums" and all, I never listened to her, and she never understood a thing roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

Btw- I've tried the ones you are able to take them in and out too, doesn't worth it, they get annoying and nobody wears them as much as they are supposed to, therefore, NO result.

§pearhead
I get mine off in about a year (yeah, who knew I had them? stick out tongue) and they're a pain in the ass...cant wait to get em off.

lady_yuna
They sound pretty bad.

Evy_O
and they feel even worse stick out tongue

jE¬KiLL¬HYDe
Yeah... you know what the Halloween fake-vampire-teeth feel like when you wear them? It makes your mouth feel weird and your teeth feel huge and you spit when you talk, right? Imagine the Halloween vampire teeth-- only twice as thick, and METAL, and they poke-poke-poke the inside of your mouth until you get SCARS!

...Multiply that times two, and you've got what braces feel like. ^_^

I got them the day before school started this year (me ish a freshman)... and I'm supposed to get them off sometime before my junior year. -____- I know people who had braces for like four years... O_o

heen68
I have to get braces aswell there gonna hurt like hell.

Darth Revan
Wow, Hyde, sounds like you had a really bad experience... Remember that it varies for everyone, some people nearly die (like Hyde) and some people don't have that big of a problem. I was somewhere in the middle.

xxhuni_babexx
I hav had my braces on for about a week. They hurt bad for the first three day but they calmed down! !Ignore the list of food that the orthadonists tell ya that u cant eat! u can! Just one thing dont try and eat apples whole, cut them up, otherwise u will break your brace!
Dont worry! It will be worth it in the end!
xxx

DarkFlower
i just wouldnt chew gum i no sumbody who did and it mboke there braces big grin

golden moon
I wore them for 2 years. ok it's nothing.
you will hurt for the first week and when you tightten them for some days but you will get used to them...
it's nothing... anyway it's for your own good...

Summoner_Yunie
Well I see its been like two months since I first got them on. Not that big of a pain except the brushing.

Anoushka
i personally find braces (or rather,people wearing braces) very appealing happy

Summoner_Yunie
Yup.

Moo Cow
im getting bracs next week confused im scared now scared

Sarah_Beth
i had them in 3rd grade..they were'nt too bad after u get used to them...

Meki_Nade
if oyu notice they also change your facial structure around the mouth, depending on its shape you could be pouting all the time, but braces are no biggy really i had 4 years of it tightening every month was annoying, then they gave me the plastic caps when they got removed, i hadnt touched them since, but my teeth look fine

muse5
i had braces from 7th to 9th grade (i'm in 12th now), it sucked majorly... i was given the list of foods, and obeyed if for about 2 months, then i cracked and ate everything i wasn't supposed to at my friends; houses. i now have a retainer that is currently mia...
my advice, learn to lie, have your friends buy gum for you and... Have Fun!
(note the sarcasm)

X-Woman
i remember i TRIED getting them when i was 10. i took some test called a molder? but it made me feel like barfing sick! so now im probably getting them when my mouth gets bigger.

Emma718
Braces i just think are for our own good..if we need them. When i got mine on it didn't hurt me, it just depends on the person. Then when i got them tighten my mouth was like sore for the day. It's no biggy..i get mine of next june i think, i got them on in January this year! i am 16

sftballchik7690
HEY I AM GOING TO THE ORTHO ABOUT BRACES IN ONE WEEK! I AM 14 AND I WANT BRACES BUT I DON'T WANT THEM FOR THE PAIN. BUT I WANT THEM BECAUSE THEY WILL MAKE MY TEETH STRAIGHT. I AM JUST WANDERING WHAT KINDA FOODS THAT I CAN AND CANNOT EAT SO JUST LET ME KNO! confused

Emma718
Like Soft drink, and anything chewy. They will tell u. But don't always listen to them...lol. Beware of eating whole apples, because it can break off the brackets. try and cut them in pieces or something.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.