When should a person get married?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Alpha
Give your opinions with arguments.

Linkalicious
obviously each situation is different but i feel that a person should really only get married around or after the age of 25 because they have had an opportunity to experience single life as an adult, and this will also give both adults in the relationship an opportunity to raise the proper income to raise a child.

Personally I will probably try to be married around the age of 27 or 28 so that i can enjoy a quality relationship with my wife for a couple of years before we settle down and have children around the age of 30.

That would leave me at the age of 50...still working. While my son or daughter is 20 and hopefully preparing himself/herself to move out into the world...or better yet they'll be in their 3rd year of college if all goes well.

I know I'm being a bit of an optomist, but so far...so good.

<<Solo>>
Well everyone I know have been getting married around the age of 17-19 because they've all been getting they're girlfriends pregnent.LOL.They don't use protection that much these day, it makes me laugh.But I think it's better getting married when your younger because if you realize you shouldn't be with this person. You wouldn't end up spending your whole life with them.

Tex
Never; I dont believe in that archaic institution. thumb down

finti
when both parts agree upon it

you can have a quality relationship before you get married

that sounds like the reasoning of a 10 year old

Rogue Jedi
when you find the right person. simple as that.

Fallen Jedi
age wise? i don't know, the idea of meeting that special someone in college is kinda what i had in mind. maybe 25, somewhere around there.

BackFire
no younger then 25 I think. And even that is pushing it.

Fire
I agree with finti if both parties feel they are up to it, sure why not

yerssot
for the sake of it, I'll agree with fire

when both are ready

Fire
woot, alert the papers

yerssot
ok!
*runs off*
you inform the tv-stations

Baylin
Well sometimes it can be a bit hit and miss I think a little older is definatley wiser when it comes to a life long commitment.
I'm on my second marriage the first lasted 2years.
We had been together quite a few years before but after getting married we realised that we were both too young, we weren't in love we were just very close friends so we divorced - thankfully it was so mutual we are still very close friends.
My second marriage well thats coming up for 2 years so fingers crossed!

Evy_O
I think that a person shouldn't marry very young, so that he/she can enjoy life being single first big grin Many that have tried marrying young (most are not even mature enough) have regreted it afterwords... which of course leads to divorces and other unpleasant stuff erm

LarryTheArch
when they are ready, but wen THEY ARE ACTUALLY in love, not just infatuated.

WindDancer
Some ppl tend to think that 25-28 is the best age to get married. Well, maybe but it depends on the person and the on the way the relationship is working. I really have never been interested in weddings or marriage.

finti
right on, going to the pub with friends is too much fun

Linkalicious
you live in HB...it's impossible to get decent housing unless you have high income and well established credit.

That USUALLY takes until you are atleast 25 or older.

Excellent point BF

xxXsarahXxx
i dnt think age matters tht much as long as yur not too young, after all some people get married at 40ish - its never too late, but the two people should trust each other and not feel forced into anything

~Angel~
Well, it's never too late. But it can be too early. I believe it is best if each person has spent part of their life living on their own, so they can learn to take care of themselves. Self sufficiency is very important .

Getting married and moving from "mommy and daddy's" house and into a husband or wife's house is just wrong. I see that as very immature, and that IS too young to get married if they are doing that.

People are too easily divorcing these days. When and if someone decides to get married, they have to go into it willing to work out all the problems. "For better or for worse, till death do us part." If you don't like the sound of that, get out before you get married.

Before people get married, they should both have trust and respect for one another, they should be able to see eye to eye on important issues, or agree to disagree. If not, it won't work. Both should be willing to compromise to a certain extent, being able to meet in the middle is important.

Age is not important. It is the maturity level that needs to be looked at.

Becoming pregnant by accident is not mature, but getting married because of it is the right thing and the responsible thing to do (as long as they can support the child, that is). They will be forced to grow up fast, and maybe it will work out...

Taking all those things into consideration, I believe that marrying before the age of 23 is pushing it. It is better to be patient and wait until you know what you are getting into.

<<Solo>>
hmmm....Reasoning of a 10 year old...Nah...Not 10....17..yeah that's better...everyone has there own opinion don't ruin mine lol...

Lord Soth
Too asy of a wuestion: When you've found the right person and you think you're ready

Fëanor
but the right person can still turn out to be hell on two feet...and no one, no matter who you are, is never really ready even up to when you've said I do...marriage is such a big commitment that straddles a thin line...
fall either way and you go...BANG!!! that hurts...

and all the advice in the world will not do you good because everyones opinions are varied and many...some agree while others do not...

of this i will say...do not let your heart decide for you, because it can mislead...and your brain becomes full of information that it can get overloaded...

afterall...imo marriage is a legal document that binds two parties that brings about financial, emotional, and physical benefits...that document creates the institution of marriage not what two people will feel for one another...

by all means get married if it's something you want to do, not because you have to...or need.

the difference in that is that having or needing a thing is never the same as wanting...

Corlindel
No idea. Everyone must find for himself. But I think it is essencial to try to have a common life first - in the same house four at least one year before marry. It will help both of you to find if you were made to share a married common life with each other bcs there it is usual to discouver that that person you marrid it is not what you think it was after living under the same ceiling, and sometimes no mather how long you know each other.

So, try first to live together before marry.

I am not an apologist of it. But maybe some day I change my mind roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fëanor
i've always thought that that was a misconception..."let's live together to see if we can get along before we marry"...it's been shown that when a couple live together and marry later don't always stay married...

marriage like a said imo should not be something that is tested by cohabitation...that in of itself will more than likely cause a breakup, because then you're most definately looking for faults...when two are not married, there are no reasons to stay together...

but in marriage, if two people are committed to the relationship, they will find a way to work the issues they have together to keep the marriage strong and alive as long as they love each other.

Corlindel
I dont see that cohabitation as a test or to look for faults. I think of it as a marriage already.

In your perspective - thinking of living together as a test - It is better to stay in their own homes and nreak up everything. It is a signe that they dont love each other. Looking for faults never. just let people live their life.

The Alpha
Mutual understanding is one of the most necessary requirements for a couple to live a happy life and the development of such a relation never depends on the ages of both persons.

ClaraG
whenever they wants once it's legal. if it's a big mess up- their problem. if not then hip hip hurray

shellie
i dont think there is a right or wrong age to get married . it depends on each couples situation . ppl who get married around 30 or 40ish have a chance of splitting up just as much as someone in their 20s . if you have found the right person , then it will work . if not , then it wont . personally i got married when i was 16 ( no i wasnt pregnant ) . i am 30 now . we have 4 beautiful girls & just celebrated our 14th anniversery . maybe we are an exception , i dunno . what i do know is every body is diferent & 25 may work for some ppl . others may not be ready till 50 . my youngest daughter is 4 years old & if all goes well , she'll be off to college in 14 years . i'll be 44 years old . my husband 46 years old , it will then be our time to sit back & sigh or party .

Corran
Get married when you are old enough, mentally not physically.
Get married for love not lust, so do not jump into it too quickly or early in a relationship or you may find that once the dust settles it was just lust and not love.
There's nothing wrong with living together before you get married just to check that you can actually live together.
Don't get married to someone just because of a pregnancy because if you do not truly love that person then you will be potentially bringing a child up in a relationship not founded on love but on necessity this is not a good environment for a child and for happiness.
Don't marry your cousin - that's just wrong, look at our royal family for prrof.

The Omega
Linkalicious&gt; Do you really think you can plan it like that? Who says you find the right person around 27/28, that that person WANTS to have children, and that you, career-wise, wants to have kids at 30??

Getting married at 17-19 is down-right scary. Children having children and getting married will lead to one thing&gt; A feeling that life went by, divorces, single parents and what have you.

Tex has a point. WHY get married? What's the idea? You can't forsee the future, and marriage is no protection against either party falling in love with some one else further down the road.

If marriage is supposed to be for life - then don't ever get married, because you can't predict the future.

If it's a way of making a party and some formal commitment around the relationship - does it matter? You can always get a divorce later on big grin

lil bitchiness
Well, me personaly, never. I am not going to get married, piece of paper doesnt decide or declare my love for someone.

I cant really answer when people should get married, everyone to their own, but like The Omega said, getting married at such an early age is scary. People at 17, 18 and 19 are in a sense still children.

Im a kid embarrasment being 19 and all.

Corran
marriage is just a piece of paper, but it does show that you are willing to commit to a person, admittedly it's easier now to get divorced so this may not ring true, but some people require that extra step to show the commitment, and you get to get new clothes and have a massive party where your in-laws will end up fighting, how can you forego that free entertainment?

Sexay1
I don't think anyone should get married until they are able to support themselves and their spouse. I think they should complete college and be atleast a year into their careers before they even think about it.

LordMortis
i would get married at any time depending on whether we both agree on it. if you know you have found the right person and formed a very strong bond over say a year or so and truly love them then you are ready (in my view anyway wink)

Dexx
well..gee..i wouldn't really know. After you've known and loved a person long enough to minimise conflicts at max.
my dad always told me to wait untilla fter 30 years..smile
maybe he knows something..afterall...my parents are split up

The Omega

big gay kirk
I got married at 24, after living with my gf for 6 years.... we had a baby when i was 24... If we'd waited till we "could afford" kids I would never have had the joy of my son... then two years ago, wham! I realised that I was doing all the trying in our marriage, and my wife was staying in bed all day, and refusing to do anything about any problems we had... after having the same row every day for two years, with her promising to try to sort things out but never doing anything, we got divorced, and I ended up a single dad... we asked my son, who was 7, who he wanted to live with, and he chose dad, cos dad was the one who'd changed nappies, fed, and played with him... The last two years have been great... but it just goes to show, sometimes the right person is wrong, and you can never tell until a few years down the line... if both of you are willing to work at it fine... if not.... marry when you feel like it, but be prepared to learn....

DemonicGambit-2
You should get married when you and are both mentally and financially stable in my opinon.

Unfortunately some people don't see it that way, they find someone they think is hot. And decided they've found their one true love. I have a friend, who actually just got married last month. She's 15, younger then me by about half a year. In my opinion (not to be mean to her) but I think that's pretty stupid. If she's already married now, imagine she'll be divorced by the time she's in her early twenties.

botankus
Two points:
1) Somebody said something about not getting married too young so you can enjoy your social life. That's true, but sometimes the social life is too hard to let go of. Take me for example, I'm 28, been with the same girl for 2-1/2 years, and am hesitant on committing to marriage based on complete social reconstruction once we tie the knot.

2) Saying you will get married by age "25 or 26" or whatever the age isn't fair to yourself. That's setting a goal and if you reach that age and don't feel with you're with the right person, some people will get married to them anyways because of the age goal they set for themselves and the fear of not finding anyone else because they are getting older.

Krabs55
Marriage is a thing of past I think... I mean the divorce rate is 50% ...these generations dont know what the want anymore. Marriage does not work in our society if it did the dirvorce rate would lower. People do not know what they want anymore...they just think they do. I am not saying that I will never get married, but I just dont think that marriage works for a lot of couples now days.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.