We need more reputable female superheros!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

punkyhermy
Okay, why is the super hero world so biased!!!ALL THE MOST NOTABLE SUPERHEROS ARE MALES!!!!The only female one I know is Wonderwoman, who is good, but really not great!Plus, what embaresses me is that outfit of hers!geez put some clothes on!!!!!it isn't vulgar or anything but it wouldn't kill to have her wear some sort of tight leather suit or something.add the ridiculously bright colors and she might as well end up in a clown costum,e contest.One thing I do like of hers is that personality.

Magee
What we got loads of em eek!
Off the top of my head -
Jean Grey
Storm
Rouge
Scarlet witch
Hawkgirl
Batwoman
Catwoman
Supergirl
Mystique

lol ive had enough. You r rite in a way i dont think any of them have their own comics.

eleveninches
Marvel:
Psylocke,
Emma Frost,
Rogue,
Jean,
Rachel,
Storm,
Polaris,
Sage,
Kitty,
Illyana
Jubilee,
X23,
Maddelyne Pryor,
Syryn,
Mystique,
Dazzler,
Magma,
Susan Storm,
Scarlet Witch,
Cassandra Nova,
Elektra,
Natasha,
Phyla,
Moondragon,
Stepford Cookus (esme, sophie, Mindee, ???, ???)
Thor (univese X version),
Mystique,
Destiny,

DC:
Wonder Woman,
Catwoman,
Hawkgirl,
Supergirl,
Batwoman

Gregory
DC obviously has its share of female heroes; the point I think punkyhermy was making was that they're not major superheroes in their own rights. Batgirl is one of Batman's soldiers ... Supergirl plays second fiddle to Superman ... and so forth. On the other hand, even if there aren't many individually important female superheroes, many of the teams are fairly integrated.

norrin radd
well maybe this happens because the people that buy comics, most of them are male, so the male characters are usually the main characters.

And look at the female characters like rogue, jean grey and storm, psylock, etc etc, they are all beautifull women, with great breasts, why do you think they are like that?

eleveninches
Ones with their own comics that I can think of:
Mystique,
Emma Frost,
Wonder Woman,
Jean Grey/Madelyne Pryor (used to have their own 'pheonix' anime comic book series),
Rogue,

Gregory
I think it's probably because most of DC's major characters (and Marvel's, I assume) were created in less progressive times.

And there aren't many ugly male superheroes, either. But I take your point.

eleveninches
WellI think you just answered your own question there. Most people who buy comic books are male, so the woman in comic books have to look sexy to appeal to the male demographic. cool

norrin radd
well we have wolverine, beast nightcrawler but you are correct.

thats also because many people that read the comics want to be those superheros and no one want to be a fat, skinny, or ugly superhero.
but these arguments can also be used about the female readers and characters, but you understand what i meant.

norrin radd
yes i already knew that i just put the ? to make the sentence in a question, you know a little bit of irony.

kal-el
so Punky. got any ideas for a new heroine?

punkyhermy
well the readers are all males coz the protagonists are ALWAYS male!!!!!!!I personally growing didn't have a single female superhero to look up to, so my freinds and i had no choice but to stick with batman.No wonder there are no female comicbook fans out there!
and why does every known woman in the comic world have to gorgeous!!!!!!it's as is, to be appreciated, they GOT to be gorgeous and appeling physically, as mentally they aren't nearly as developed as their male counterparts are!!!!!and then people go about the whole women righst thing without doing anything really!if they can't solve the problem in comic books, how can they solve the injustice in the real world?!

VENOMfan
Black Cat can hold her own

wolverine8888
the wierdest twist I have ever seen with a girl super hero is with captain britains sister. do any of u know who body she has now and what name she uses I want tos ee if any oen can quess right.

eleveninches
Psylocke. There are threads in this forum with information about her.

Darth Jello
some corrections, Mystique is a terrorist and Madelyn Prior is a psychopath.
no one here has mentioned Black Widow, Jessica Jones, Elektra (after being resurrected), etc.

There is also some equality when it comes to villians. The only person more insane then Typhoid Mary is the Joker, and when she does have some control over her mental faculties she can be dangerous on nearly the same level as Magneto, with hand to hand combat skills equivelant to that of wolverine at least (not in elektra and daredevil's league of course). If i'm not mstaken, she neary became the second goblin queen during inferno too (if you read the DD comics, inferno was almost as big for him as it was for the x-men)

Raventheonly
Welp there was a jump in the number of female heroes during the 80's for DC when the Titans were introduced... not to sound obvious but Raven did almost conquer the universe with daddy... wiped out the justice league and everyone else almost...

Safire
There are plenty of Marvel females..... Just not many ORIGINAL dc ones... Most of E'm on the Dc fence are cash in's on their male counter parts.. Even Wonder Women is a cash in on Superman to a certain degree.

SuperDarryl
I can't resit it. We don't have any good female Super heros? What are you talkin about. We've got Stripperella. Isn't she a good super hero? LMFAO

eleveninches
Mystique did work for xavier for a time.
I do believe that I metioned Black Widow and Elektra earlier

Darth Jello
I'll take the widow and hornhead over batman and robin anyday

FrothByte
striperrela rocks!!!!

Magee
what?? Raven and her dad wiped out the justice league??? !!

VENOMfan
not that impressive i did that once......

yeah thats bullshit

Magee
lol

SuperDarryl

Darth Jello
out of curiosity, why does raven's dad look like a big, snarling turd?

Magee
lol. I was watching teen titans once and Cyborg and Beast boy were inside ravens head and there was a big red monster thing wich she said was hate and then she said she had issues with her dad. Is that wat he looks like??

Arachnoidfreak
Catwoman also has/had her own series.(i dont remember if its around anymore)

punkyhermy
sure they got comics but they don't have what it takes to be teh standards of batman or even superman for that matter...i'm not saying that i got an awesome idea for a female hero, just that the comic book world is biased.women are used only coz a hero has to have a love interest.to make a hero a hero, they need someone to be saved,that's when a woman comes into the pic...

Arachnoidfreak
of course its biased. males make up 80% or more of the readers. but please, stop your bickering. there are HUNDREDS of great female characters. Powergirl, Witchblade(Image Comics), Aspen(from Fathom), Lady Death(Chaos Comics), Liz from Hellboy(Dark Horse). you cant just look at Marvel and DC. i hate that shit. WILDS.T.O.R.M. also had great females in it. though, DC did buy it from Jim Lee. Chaos Comics had a buttload of powerful females in it, though they are out of business now i think. there are females in other publishing companies that would give even Superman a hard time.

punkyhermy
if they were as popular i'm sure everyone would know their name.

Arachnoidfreak
they arent popular because Marvel and DC are mainstream the other companies are not. actually Image and Dark Horse, maybe even Top Cow, can be considered mainstream as well, but not many ever give them a try. its a shame that people are limited only to the two best selling companies. granted, they have phenominal writers and artists, but many of them started in the smaller companies. one example is Michael Turner, most only got to know him recently for his Superman/Batman work, but he drew Witchblade for a long time, and has many other fantastic projects going on. their popularity isnt based on whether they are great characters, their popularity is based on comic sales. unfortunatly, most people pass over any cover that doesnt have the "Marvel" or "DC" logo on it. its a damn shame. thats exactly why Chaos and Valiant went out of business. to this date i like some Valiant Comics characters more than Marvel or DC characters. X-O Manowar(Valiant) was kick ass. he was an Ironman/Venom mix(alien symbyote costume, with most of Ironman's suit's abilities), very high on my top 10 favorite characters. theres even an Ironman/X-O manowar crossover. i recommend it.

punkyhermy
well it's even more of a shame that such popular companies like DC nad Marval don't pay any attention to females heroes!

Arachnoidfreak
see, now you are getting on my nerves. look to other f*cking companies for your compulsive female superhero needs. Michael Turner currently has two series, Fathom and Soulfire, BASED ON FEMALE HEROES(Aspen and Grace, respectively). actually, Soulfire doesnt come out until this summer. i look forward to it.

punkyhermy
what?!!!
someone has to speak up!
look what i'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter if small companies have lots of female characters, because people don't read them.no get's influenced by them.so what's the point!?
all these heros your talking about are totally worthless in the comicworld, because if they were all that great, they woul;d have had an impact similar to the one batman or superman made.
there.

Arachnoidfreak
No. they wouldnt. Batman and Superman are the ORIGINAL COMIC BOOK HEROES. way back from the 1940s. Even before Marvel was out and about. Superman is 1938 actually. not even male heroes made after them have had the same impact they had. Marvel and DC have enough female heroes to satisfy their readers, and anyone who wants more female heroes should look to other companies. its the reader's own fault that they arent looking hard enough. if People wanted more female heroes from Marvel or DC theyd simply send letters to the companies, but fortunately, unlike you, most of them are clever enough to look elsewhere for great female heroes. DC bought WILDSTORM a while ago, and WILDSTORM had a few good female heroes. Stop. just please shut up. its not like women are being opressed.

Red Superfly
Comic book companies are making enough monay, if they feel the need for a major leading female superhero (which I doubt very much) then they'll make one.

So far, the female superheroes will be perfect bodied beauties to compliment their male "others" - because only guys tend to read comics. I'm sure there are ladies that love comic books, but they are few and far between. They'd probably prefer to go and play The Sims instead.

In fact, the best way to attract female readers would be to do a "Big Brother: Marvel Superheroes". I can imagine all the womens mags full of gossip about Spiderman secretly cheating on Mary Jane with Jean Grey, and that Doctor Doom is a big bully and should get voted off next.

(Please take anything I post with a pinch of salt. If it's offensive - get a sense of humour)

Arachnoidfreak
HAhahahahahaha. holy shit. you are so right. oh man, thats funny.

Raventheonly
Comic version came first... and it took the JL and all the Titans to bring Trigun Raven's dad - very powerful demon who turned earth into hell - down she dies once but Raven can posses people.
hehe no bull .....

Arachnoidfreak
I love Raven. both the comic book and cartoon versions. she has great powers, and an intreguing(damnit, ive spell checked that word 15 times and i cant get it right. someone help me out!) past.

Darth Jello
punky, get a shit load of old DD comics and take a look at the team of DD and the widow, it's two superheroes, treating each other as equals, in love, both equally powerful.

Magee
wow sounds cool. And ive grown very fond of the titans after watching teen titans on tv lol. I loved the episode where starfire goes forward in time and we get to see all the members when they are older this including Nightwing! wich was so cool.

Magee
actualy it sounds so cool i would realy apreciate more info on the whole JLA and ravens dad. big grin

Raventheonly
Whelp the titans fought Trigun twice... first time in his own demension second on earth.... Ravens temper is her half demon side... because trigun raped her mother smile
The second fight on earth is a loss ... Raven was taken over by her temper and was turned to evil... Raven and Trigun basically waisted the JLA and the Titans... it took Ravens homeworld of Azarath to defeat trigun by channeling their energy and sacrificing themselves basically to destroy him... therre souls were corrupted after the battle and their spirits spread the spawn of trigun all over by the assumed destroyed Raven... she is then saved by Starfire later on... thats a basic summary.
In the end Raven still hasn't died because she's some spirit...

Magee
wow sounds very very coool big grin

Linkalicious
more reputable female superheroes? That's like saying we need more teams in the WNBA. It's just an attrocious idea.

Arachnoidfreak
AAahahahahahaha laughing

eleveninches
That's so true rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

Raventheonly
LoL there is enough already more would truly ruin the idea..

punkyhermy
I don't know what u guys are talking about.Yes, there may be more quantity doesn't replace quality.

Arachnoidfreak
holy shit. there are many quality super heroines out there. get off your lazy ass and look for them.like i said before, anyone who wants more female superheros can simply search for them. they arent that hard to find if you know where to look, and i already gave you quite a few places. stop your bellyachin' woman. you're acting like women are opressed in the comic book business.

SuperDarryl
I really believe that their are enough hot female heros and villans already. Their are plenty, only reason why we don't see more female hero/villan characters is the writers are in control, and they want to make female characters all beautiful looking. And like I said their are enough beautiful looking female hero/villans in The DC and Marvel Universes combined.

SuperDarryl
I mean it's not like the female gender is just left out of the action in comic book movies, Check out X-men for instance, pretty well balanced look at the pic..

Darth Jello
true, the name is deceptive, there are a lot more x-women than x-men

norrin radd
but when you have a group of woman and men, you say its a men group or a woman group? you alwyas use the men word, as in mankind.

Darth Jello
man, and men are suffixes and the male version of men probably had a prefix such as the wo in woman. but was shortened over time. so men/man is a shortened suffix for human/humen and there's nothing sexist about it. it's just an issue of grammar. this is one of the reasons that i'm all for women's rights but think of girls who spell it wymin as stupid.

punkyhermy
how come when it comes to male superheroes, u just have to close your eyes and they are there and in the females' case, u have to open your eyes WIDE and look?
now wat does that indicate?

Arachnoidfreak
what the hell are you talking about? i named all the female heroes i listed off of the top of my head, i could do it with my eyes closed to. would that make you feel better? if you were open-minded in the first place, we wouldnt be having this discussion, youd have looked past the mainstream comics and seen loads of female heroes.

Arachnoidfreak
from another thread:
Witchblade. Protaganist. Female. Wonder Woman. Protaganist. Female. Tomb Raider. Protaganist. Female. Lady Death. Protaganist. Female. Vampirella. Protaganist. Female. Catwoman. Protaganist(at least, now she is). Female. they all have their own comics. please, shut up about the friggin female heroes.

Darth Jello
it indicates that your probably have the same vision disorder as I do

(am i coming off too sexist in this? cause i really don't want to)

punkyhermy
Look, okay, what if i agreed that fine there happen to be way more female superheroes than i originally thought there were.will that make u happy?
i never had to go out there and look for, Batmn for instance.It seems like he was there,you didn't need to search to find him, u just find him.
what i'm trying to say is, male superheroes are popular,accepted, recognised and loved no, not because they are male, but because they are simply well defined and totally worth it.Female superheroes are there.I KNOW!i said "we need MORE REPUTABLE FEMALE SUPERHEROES"
meaning that yes there are female heroines out there, just not up to the standard of male ones.Believe me, if they were,even if wonderwoman was, they would now be making movies about her, not bats.
Secondly just because i am looking for a female superhero, i can't settle with one lame,one-dimentional one.That would be an insult to the character and me.So, I'd rather stick with good-old batman.That's what most people do.I'm not saying to stick with the male heroes because they are male,they like'em because they are better,
What is wrong with asking for more weel developed characters?geez, stop getting so defensive and offended,i am NOT a sexist in anyway, I am just asking for more equality in the superhero world in terms of well defined characters, so please, stop trying to diss me

Arachnoidfreak
no female superhero will ever be up to the standard that YOU want them to be. the comic book business started with a male superhero, and therefore male superheros are the cornerstone of the business. If Wonder Woman was the first comic ever made, comic books would be very different. Second, the female heros that i named are very well defined. i take it youve never even read most of the ones ive named, so dont judge them yet. read Fathom from Aspen Comics. read Avengelyn from Maximum Press. read Witchblade from Image Comics. i think you may be putting women down yourself just so you can have this argument. shut the hell up and go read some f*cking comics. next time do some research before trying to argue. you'll never win by being ingnorant.

punkyhermy
you know, if all u have to say is **** off than don't post!

Arachnoidfreak
it wasnt all i had to say. in my first few posts i was trying to help you find more female heroes, well developed ones. now you just annoy me. women rejoiced when Wonder Woman first came out, and protested when they were going to end her series. seems like most women are satisfied with female heros in comics. i think the problem is with you and not the comic book business. and i agree with Darth Jello in the other thread. shut up and do something if you dont like what is out there.

Darth Jello
it sounds like what your complaining about is bad writers. which i wholeheartedly agree. punky, go buy the typhoid mary miniseries or the DD typhoid mary novel. she is in no way a positive female role model but at least she's interesting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.